Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-11-17, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

redskin17 is on a distinguished road
IF Sycamore leaving, which I am still not sure will happen, I see West Clermont going to he GMC, much like the Milford/Mason trade.
Old 12-11-17, 12:37 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by llthayes19 View Post
Interested to know why you think the GMC would take WWoods after turning them down before. Only because of Sycamore leaving?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Why would any GMC school want to vote Winton Woods in with them being DII in football? Why would this be a good idea for the GMC? just curious???
Old 12-11-17, 01:20 PM
Varsity

llthayes19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Dad View Post
Why would any GMC school want to vote Winton Woods in with them being DII in football? Why would this be a good idea for the GMC? just curious???
They are only D2 in football but D1 in all other sports. Plus they play a major D1 schedule because they wasn't in a conference. A GMC schedule to them is just a normal walk in the park.

Old 12-11-17, 02:56 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Interested to know why you think the GMC would take WWoods after turning them down before. Only because of Sycamore leaving?

Because there would now be an opening. And then 1 school that could at least make it interesting for Colerain on the football field.

No openings the last time WW was looking.

If I were them, that's where the match is. They should wait it out. Middletown, Princeton, Hamilton, Colerain, Fairfield all pretty darn close.

Anyway, that's if it was me.
Old 12-11-17, 02:58 PM
All District

Quote:
DII in football doesn't hurt at all if they are winning most of their games. How did Milford and West Clermont get in playoffs this year? All they played was DII.

Would be a stupid move by WC.
Old 12-11-17, 02:59 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Because there would now be an opening. And then 1 school that could at least make it interesting for Colerain on the football field.

If I were them, that's where the match is. They should wait it out. Middletown, Princeton, Hamilton, Colerain, Fairfield all pretty darn close.

I agree brother! The GMC is the one of the top conference in the city. I'd wait it out too!

Old 12-11-17, 03:01 PM
Varsity

Quote:
DII in football doesn't hurt at all if they are winning most of their games. How did Milford and West Clermont get in playoffs this year? All they played was DII.

I agree! If WWoods being a D2 school mattered, would does the GCL and GMC schedule them on the regular.

Old 12-11-17, 03:08 PM
All District

Quote:
I agree! If WWoods being a D2 school mattered, would does the GCL and GMC schedule them on the regular.

Matter of fact, the top 10 TEN teams in DII, Region 8, playing the exact same schedules would have made the playoffs over West Clermont, Moeller AND Fairfield.

Sorry Teays Valley! Wrong Region!
Old 12-11-17, 03:32 PM
All District

2020Dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If is the most important word in that sentence. In 2015 and 2016 Winton woods was 5-5 that doesnt do much for any D1 schools rankings in football and if you lose to them it does a lot of damage. The GCL can afford to play them because their schedules are tough every year, playing out of state teams, and within their conference. I would think a loss wouldnt hurt them as bad due to overall strength of schedule. This is how a 4 -6 Moeller team got in this year, and a 5-5 St X team made it to state and won last year. They got big points for the games that they did win because of the strength of their schedule. Teams in the GMC other than Colerain tend to play it somewhat safe with their out of conference schedule
Old 12-11-17, 05:16 PM
All Ohio

HSFB Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No way Sycamore leaves the GMC. They are very competitive in the league in all sports...as a top finisher every year...

The ECC league has swimming, boys vollyball, chess teams, academic teams, Tennis, Bowling etc.like the GMC but "not all schools" have teams.
If they did move yes they would dominate the league but that would not translate to football playoff spots...

As far as WW...They need to step it up in other sports and extra activities to be considered for the GMC...

Last edited by HSFB Fan; 12-11-17 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSFB Fan View Post
No way Sycamore leaves the GMC. They are very competitive in the league in all sports...as a top finisher every year...

The ECC league has swimming, boys vollyball, chess teams, academic teams, Tennis, Bowling etc.like the GMC but "not all schools" have teams.
If they did move yes they would dominate the league but that would not translate to football playoff spots...

As far as WW...They need to step it up in other sports and extra activities to be considered for the GMC...
I'm with you HSFB Fan, it would shock me if Sycamore left the GMC to join the ECC at this point in time.

And if they did I don't see why it would open up a spot for WW? With the Aves gone, the GMC could still have their 8 game league schedule with every GMC team playing every other one in football.

And Finally I think Western Clermont is still a couple of years away from wanting to join the GMC. They are a perfect fit in the ECC while they work to cement their athletics program together after the merge.
Old 12-11-17, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:

The GCL has no choice as they are desperate for quality local football games. And recently it appears that the GMC is scaling back scheduling WW in football.

One thing to look for to see if WW is indeed being considered for membership in the GMC is to check if there's an uptick in WW scheduling GMC teams in all sports but particularly basketball & football. I would expect to see WW playing GMC teams in week 1 & 2 of the football season if in fact they were about to join the league. I don't follow BB but I would also expect to see an uptick in games being played here to.
Old 12-11-17, 06:34 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
The GCL has no choice as they are desperate for quality local football games. And recently it appears that the GMC is scaling back scheduling WW in football.

One thing to look for to see if WW is indeed being considered for membership in the GMC is to check if there's an uptick in WW scheduling GMC teams in all sports but particularly basketball & football. I would expect to see WW playing GMC teams in week 1 & 2 of the football season if in fact they were about to join the league. I don't follow BB but I would also expect to see an uptick in games being played here to.
Uh, write this down. Winton Woods will never join the GMC. Uh, Woods recruits football players and forgets every other sports. Uh, there are reasons why Woods got left out when leagues reorganized.
Old 12-11-17, 06:49 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:

Uh, dude you are a very good poster, but if you think Woods has a chance to get in the GMC, you are way off base.Uh Woods recruits football players from all over the Cincy public leagues. Can they compete in all the other sports male and female? Uh no way.Uh Winton Woods will never get in the GMC.
Old 12-11-17, 07:20 PM
Varsity

Quote:

Lakota West is back on WW in 2018. But their first game is against Trotwood

Old 12-11-17, 07:22 PM
All District

Quote:
If is the most important word in that sentence. In 2015 and 2016 Winton woods was 5-5 that doesnt do much for any D1 schools rankings in football and if you lose to them it does a lot of damage. The GCL can afford to play them because their schedules are tough every year, playing out of state teams, and within their conference. I would think a loss wouldnt hurt them as bad due to overall strength of schedule. This is how a 4 -6 Moeller team got in this year, and a 5-5 St X team made it to state and won last year. They got big points for the games that they did win because of the strength of their schedule. Teams in the GMC other than Colerain tend to play it somewhat safe with their out of conference schedule
Look at the top 10 in Region 8, DII. Look at their schedules. What matters is that you beat enough WINNING teams.
Old 02-06-18, 10:29 AM
All Yappi

Anything new here? I think Apps were due?

My guess: Sycamore, Princeton and Little Miami in, West Clermont to GMC.
Old 02-06-18, 01:03 PM
All District

catstix is on a distinguished road
I think the WC to GMC thing needs to play itself out over a few years. I'm not seeing it happening right away in this expansion. I think the sports programs need to catch up to the size of the school. When that happens for 2-3 years straight, then I think there would be a case for them to move.

If Sycamore applies, no discussion needed, they are in. But anyone really know if they want to? Did they in fact apply?

If Little Miami has applied, I think their location makes them the only other logical fit. Growing and location. Already D2 in football and improving.

Princeton I guess is getting smaller, so they may like the ECC better for competition. Not sure if the ECC would like them back. I would say, if Withrow were to leave, Princeton would be a great upgrade for the conference. Just don't think Withrow will leave this go round either, similar to WC.

Long story short, no-brainer for me. If Sycamore and LM have applied, there's your 10 team conference. Let the GMC and SWOC figure out their next steps after.
Old 02-06-18, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

If Princeton and Sycamore leave, West Clermont is really the only logical option of the GMC and would need to make the move ASAP if they lose 10.
Old 02-22-18, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

So if chatter is correct, Sycamore, Princeton, Lebanon and Little Miami all applied, would the ECC take them all? West Clermont moves to the GMC and Withrow and Winton Woods to the SWOC?

ECC
Anderson
Turpin
Kings
Walnut
Milford
Loveland
Sycamore
Princeton
Little Miami
Lebanon

SWOC
Edgewood
Harrison
Mt Healthy
Northwest
Ross
Talawanda
Winton Woods
Withrow

GMC
Colerain
Hamilton
Fairfield
West
East
Mason
Oak Hills
West Clermont
Middletown
Springboro

GWOC
Centerville
Wayne
Springfield
Beavercreek
Miamisburg
Fairmont
Northmont
Trotwood
Old 02-22-18, 06:37 PM
All Ohio

southpaw69 is on a distinguished road
Springboro to the GMC??
Old 02-22-18, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

There is talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Especially since by far the best GMC team is only 1-3 against DII La Salle the past four years.
Old 02-23-18, 10:04 AM
All American

Captain Awesome is on a distinguished road
If the SWOC looks like that I'd be willing to bet Edgewood Ross and Talawanda will all look to bounce and form a new league with some SWBL schools, with this much movement you will see effects in every league from the SWOC GWOC GMC SWBL
Old 02-23-18, 10:14 AM
All Yappi

Yeah the SWOC just seems like a hodgepodge of schools.
Old 02-23-18, 11:39 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
If a couple of teams end up shuffling conferences, I think a huge game of musical chairs is going to be launched, much like what happened in the NCAA when Nebraska, Missouri and Texas A&M started things with the Big 12 shakeup.

The SWOC is pretty volatile IMHO. A Little Miami jump to the ECC could really shake things up. The three Butler County schools of Edgewood, Ross and Talawanda I think would jump at a chance to be a part of the SWBL or a new conference that would pull from its ranks. It's a marriage of convenience as it currently sits and not built for the long haul. Ross and Talawanda struggle with the current SWOC schools as it is in football. If Winton Woods was brought on, it would be down right ugly to see the Warriors play the Rams or Braves on the gridiron. WW would struggle in a lot of sports (or not be able to field teams on all levels (freshman, JV, varsity) perhaps) against current SWOC schools (although I know not all current members can either). Soccer, golf, tennis, wrestling (have some studs but not full squads like Harrison or Ross), baseball and softball. Don't know much about their bowling program but it's a popular sport in the SWOC from what I can tell.

It would not shock me that if Edgewood, Ross and Talawanda do find a new home, that the league would be salvaged and possibly be a good landing spot for a GMC school or two and if Winton Woods was still independent, would be asked to join. Harrison, Mt. Healthy, Northwest and Winton Woods (and Forest Park/Greenhills prior) have been members together in numerous conferences for decades. Take football out of the conversation and frankly that would be a decent home for Colerain as they would be a much stronger competitor across the board. Could they convince Hamilton to come along?

The GMC I think is happy to have a clean 10 school membership as it currently sits. Question is are the 10 members all happy? Sycamore has been a chic name mentioned on the ECC expansion. They have held more than their own in football in the past few years and are towards the top of the all sport trophy most years (as an aside there will be a few inches of dust on top of that award before it next leaves Mason High). The more established communities like Colerain, Hamilton and Middletown have an uphill climb in front of them to compete across the board in all sports for the foreseeable future. I think they stay status quo unless an existing member chooses to leave, especially after seeing how the massive GWOC could not be sustained (meaning growing into some kind of mega conference is not an attractive goal).

I have read a few mentions about a Colerain/Northwest merger. As a Colerain grad I would never want there to not be a CHS. However the population of the district is no longer booming like it was in the 60s/70s. Both high school buildings have had some band aids put on but they are not getting any younger. The last time I was on campus at Colerain it was definitely showing its age.

While there will be some strong community opposition, I see so many more pros than cons when it comes down to academic and other opportunities for the students. A combined Colerain (1390)/Northwest (713) would have 2103 students based on current OHSAA enrollment numbers that only count grades 9-11. That's still nearly 550 fewer students than Mason (2646). I'm predicting that if the time comes, they will be combined as it would be the most financially responsible decision.
Old 02-23-18, 02:11 PM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Winton Woods offers many sports that you mentioned. No fresman baseball and thus year no girls fresnman bball. 3 levels of volleyball (they are competitive) boys and girls golf. This year will be the second year of boys Lacrosse. WW even has rowing now. I dont see WW going to the SWOC. They didnt want them before, why now?
Old 02-28-18, 06:58 PM
All American

Extra Point is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMantle View Post
Especially since by far the best GMC team is only 1-3 against DII La Salle the past four years.
Great Point Eat it Colerain.....
Old 03-02-18, 05:55 PM
All Ohio

PeterDragon is on a distinguished road
LM school board voted "No" on an invite to the ECC. Doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-05-18, 06:21 PM
All Ohio

Off_Tackle08 is on a distinguished road
That's pretty sad they would vote no, but maybe they are holding out hope the SBAAC will expand it's American (large school) division by 1 to even everything up. I mean really that league would be the best fit in terms of competitiveness, right? It's also not bad for travel unless they're going to New Richmond but... they travel out to Talawanda, Harrison and Edgewood now so at least you wouldn't have as many far trips. I think the SBC should look at expanding 1 team, it makes their football scheduling easier and it adds a larger school to a league that could use it.