Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-08-17, 09:38 AM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Tippecanoe Football rumors

Sorry guys I was off of Yappi for a few days but saw the now closed thread about Coach Derge. Whoever started that thread is just trying to stir things up. Derge's job is in no way in jeopardy. Yes Tipp was 4-6 but they weren't getting blown out in GWOC North play. They had 4th quarter leads against Troy, Sidney and Piqua and was tied with Butler. Things will be much better next year as Tipp replaces Trotwood and Northmont on the schedule with West Carrolton and Xenia. JD Foust is a good AD and everyone fully supports coach Derge.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-17, 11:10 AM
All Ohio

wrestlingdad33 is on a distinguished road
wonder how long till they lock this thread down also... You mods on yappi that lock these threads down to keep the voice of the people in check are funny.
Old 11-08-17, 11:58 AM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
You mean they're replacing Trotwood and FAIRBORN with West Carrollton and Xenia? Last I heard of it the Northmont game is a home and home, independent of the divisional crossovers.
Old 11-08-17, 03:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheDarke View Post
You mean they're replacing Trotwood and FAIRBORN with West Carrollton and Xenia? Last I heard of it the Northmont game is a home and home, independent of the divisional crossovers.
No, Northmont backed out of the home and home as it doesnt do either team any good. Maybe Tipp is replacing that game with Fairborn, and West Carrolton take the place of week 4 and 5. But regardless of how, Tipp will play some kind of combination between Bellbrook, Shawnee, Fairborn, Xenia and West Carrolton
Old 11-08-17, 06:17 PM
All District

HSsportfan is on a distinguished road
No. Tipp wants out of Northmont contract. Northmont wants to play the game. My understanding is that Northmont will allow Tipp out of contract if Northmont can find a decent replacement. So for now, Tipp and Northmont are still contracted for week 3.

According to 18-19 GWOC schedule, Tipp drops Trotwood and Fairborn in week 4 and 5 and replaces with Stebbins and West Carrollton.

Still a more favorable schedule for Tipp. Will be interesting to see what happens with Northmont game.
Old 11-08-17, 08:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSsportfan View Post
No. Tipp wants out of Northmont contract. Northmont wants to play the game. My understanding is that Northmont will allow Tipp out of contract if Northmont can find a decent replacement. So for now, Tipp and Northmont are still contracted for week 3.

According to 18-19 GWOC schedule, Tipp drops Trotwood and Fairborn in week 4 and 5 and replaces with Stebbins and West Carrollton.

Still a more favorable schedule for Tipp. Will be interesting to see what happens with Northmont game.
No. My understanding is that it was a mutual agreement
Old 11-08-17, 08:48 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
It doesn't make sense for Northmont to play Tipp or Butler. In terms of Harbins, those are "cow" games but the cows aren't very big relative to trying to qualify for the playoffs in D1. Unless those teams win 7+ games Northmont would probably be better off playing a so-so D1 opponent with a primarily D1 schedule. This series is akin to the two-year Springfield-Shawnee series a few years ago. Little to gain and much to lose for both sides.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 11-08-17 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

As far as coaching rumors, I figured there likely wasn't any truth to it unless a moronic parent group had been let loose. This season Tipp probably played the toughest schedule they've ever had in football, and they posted a respectable 4-6. Minus the Northmont and Trotwood drubbings, they won or hung tough against everyone else.
Old 11-09-17, 06:54 AM
All District

No. Tipp wants out, not Northmont!! Tipp wanted out of it back in March of 2016 shortly after contract was signed but Northmont would not permit it. Being a good league member, Northmont will entertain the request IF they can find a local team that will bring a gate and provide similar Harbin points as Tipp.

This is a great game for Northmont. Tipp will win 6-8 games per year in most years. That's better than playing a Division I School that wins only a couple games per year. And Tipp is local, so gate should be decent too. Same reasons Tipp played Milton for so many years. Good gate and good points. Tipp wants out for same reasons Milton wanted out!!!

Good thing for Tipp is that 2018 is final year of contract, so even if Northmont can't find a reasonable opponent for 2018, Tipp is free of them in 2019.
Old 11-09-17, 07:42 AM
Junior Varsity

Chieftain1995 is on a distinguished road
Tipp always had a week OOC schedule while in the weaker CBC. It makes no sense why they chose to toughen it up (Northmont) at the same time as joining the tougher GWOC. What was the thought process HSsportsfan?
Old 11-09-17, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
One reason was teams finally had a reason to drop them! Tipp didn't drop Milton-Union as an ooc game, MU dropped Tipp. It was a big rivalry game, even though MU rarely had a shot to win. MU wanted to drop Tipp, them going to the GWOC was finally enough for some people to realize it was doing MU nothing to continue playing. So MU drops them and Tipp has to search for a game, nobody else smaller wanted them either, so they get stuck with Northmont. As schools current contracts expire, I'm sure Tipp can find more games against schools their own size.
Old 11-09-17, 09:59 AM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Tipp should go after the SWBL. Bellbrook, Valley View, Franklin etc.
Old 11-09-17, 12:58 PM
All District

Dograt is correct. MU dropped Tipp. Week 3 is a tough game to fill as a lot of conferences already play conference games there. Plus, when you find a school, the location needs to match. If Tipp needs a home game, and someone else needs home too, they won't play. Plus, you have to look at gate as football revenue is the budget for all sports. So playing someone over an hour away makes no sense. No smaller school, including SWBL wants to play Tipp in fear of losing. Even Bellefontaine and all other CBC schools refused to play Tipp in week 3. So, you take the game available. After going 4-6, others may want to play Tipp and it could be an easier game to fill.
Old 11-09-17, 01:21 PM
All Yappi

Having Northmont and Trotwood back to back was probably a killer for the stretch run when Tipp hit divisional play.

Early in the year, I'm sure that Tipp-Northmont draws a nice gate. From a Harbins standpoint, Northmont needs at least 21 points to qualify in R3 in a normal year. Sometimes closer to 23 points. A 7-3 Tipp (also losing to Troy and Piqua) delivers 4.45 Harbin points, or roughly 20% of what they need to get in. If Sidney is up like they are this year, you're looking at 3.85 points at 6-4. At 6-4 (or worse) that's a pretty meh Harbin's game, with the only upside being a high probability of winning. If Northmont's trying to be a serious D1 program they should just let Tipp out of the contract. It can't be overly difficult to find an average-ish D1 or D2 Cincinnati or Columbus team to play.
Old 11-09-17, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

Outside of Shawnee who seems to have a true "sharpen the saw" mentality to scheduling non-conference games, IMO no CBC team will schedule Tipp. By and large most are glad they're gone and don't want anything to do with them. Since Tipp won't be getting Tecumseh, Bellefontaine, etc. weeks 1-3, they should be pushing hard to get another SWBL SW team (i.e. Franklin or Oakwood) or somebody like Carroll.
Old 11-09-17, 04:21 PM
All American

I think a good week 3 matchup would be Clinton Massie or Wilmington
Old 11-09-17, 04:32 PM
Junior Varsity

NW warrior, I'm assuming you are not familiar with Bellefontaines schedule. Wapak, Sidney, and Troy.
Old 11-09-17, 04:35 PM
Junior Varsity

HSSportsFan, Bellefontaine plays Urbana week 3. Urbana is our long time rival. The Troy game came about when Tipp left the league, leaving schedules in limbo.
Old 11-09-17, 10:51 PM
All Yappi

I'm aware Bellefontaine plays Wapak and Sidney yearly; both of those series have been running for forever. I didn't realize they just picked up Troy. No disrespect intended to the Yellow Jackets, but Sidney has been poor to average at best for D2/D3 for at least the last decade until Gordon and Bowser recently came of age. Those two games have more to do with history/tradition and proximity than trying to play a quality opponent IMO; feel free to correct me if I'm misinterpreting that. Troy is a great schedule add in the present as they'll usually be a quality D2 team as long as the Burgbachers are coaching there, and hopefully the Chiefs keep that game.

In the last 6-7 years Shawnee has played non-conference games against Springfield, Troy, Tipp, Butler, Thurgood Marshall, Massie, Carroll and Urbana. Their long running week 1 series with Catholic Central ended immediately after Central's sudden drop from perennial OHC and R24/26 power to doormat. West Carrollton is the only poor non-conference team they've scheduled in that time frame. They've decisively made an effort to schedule challenging non-conference games even as their talent has leveled off over the last few years. If they scheduled middling D3/D4 teams or good D5/D6 teams instead of Tipp and Massie they probably would have been playing last week. They try to schedule to make runs in the playoffs, not to make appearances. I wish this mentality was more prevalent in the CBC; the league would be far better off for it.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 11-09-17 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 07:57 AM
All Ohio

bcw is on a distinguished road
Shawnee does a great job of scheduling tough games for sure. Bellefontaine does have long standing rivalries with Sidney (110 years) and Wapak (40-50 years). These are valued by both communities. Most years these serve as solid to great OOC challenges for the Chiefs. As with anything, there are years the match-ups are lopsided one way or the other.

Bellefontaine played Marysville for years in week 3. This was also a great test. Due to wanting to get Urbana back on the schedule, that game was dropped.

Tecumseh also has a history of nice OOC games. Bellbrook, Butler, and Northwest come to mind.
Old 11-10-17, 08:16 AM
All District

Tipp had Wilmington several years ago in week 3. Long drive, Wilmington dropped out of contract early. It will be interesting who Tipp gets in that spot.
Old 11-10-17, 09:40 AM
All District

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSsportfan View Post
Tipp had Wilmington several years ago in week 3. Long drive, Wilmington dropped out of contract early. It will be interesting who Tipp gets in that spot.
They played in 2006 (home) and 2007 (away) (55-6 win and 50-9 win for Tipp). Wilmington was 4-6 and 2-8 in those years, so they weren't great, but the beatings that Tipp put on them might have also led them to want out of that contract.
Old 11-10-17, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcw View Post
Shawnee does a great job of scheduling tough games for sure. Bellefontaine does have long standing rivalries with Sidney (110 years) and Wapak (40-50 years). These are valued by both communities. Most years these serve as solid to great OOC challenges for the Chiefs. As with anything, there are years the match-ups are lopsided one way or the other.

Bellefontaine played Marysville for years in week 3. This was also a great test. Due to wanting to get Urbana back on the schedule, that game was dropped.

Tecumseh also has a history of nice OOC games. Bellbrook, Butler, and Northwest come to mind.
Hopefully Sidney manages to maintain close to their current level for a while. I thought that the Sidney rivalry was one of the longest running in the area and the state; for some reason I thought Wapak had been running for closer to that period of time as well. As they are, Wapak, Sidney and Troy make for a really nice non-conference schedule and add some playoff quality early season challenges.

Hopefully in the coming years improving programs and recent playoff participants like KR, IL and BL get closer to this kind of competition with higher-end OHC teams and SWBL or WBL teams depending on proximity. With the program making some improvement over the last 5-6 years to usually being "middling" in the CBC, I'd like to see NW get Miami East back on the schedule and away from the jamboree preseason event. Easily doable if NW drops NE and East drops Lehman week 2, but Miami East may feel that with their schedule they need the possible big points Lehman usually offers.

Last edited by nwwarrior09; 11-10-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 01:14 PM
Junior Varsity

I wouldn't hold your breath on Ben Logan or Indian Lake. They have shown no desire to challenge themselves in OOC. They both have scheduled Upper Scioto Valley in the last couple years. USV is a low end D7 school. Ben Logan also played Marion Elgin and the Lake plays Riverside/Triad. At least Ben Logan plays WLS, which is way smaller but competitive.
Old 11-14-17, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
Neither Tipp or Butler have any business playing Northmont. It just doesn’t make since for either to play this game with pretty much no reward and no chance to win in most years. Way more value in my opinion playing a good to average D III to DV team.

Butler powers that Be need to let go of the Northmont rivalry. That was another era before Northmont became twice the size of Butler. The rivalry now is with Tipp and we have our week 10 matchup. Just my two cents.
Old 11-15-17, 12:13 PM
Freshman

bucks_27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Hopefully Sidney manages to maintain close to their current level for a while. I thought that the Sidney rivalry was one of the longest running in the area and the state; for some reason I thought Wapak had been running for closer to that period of time as well. As they are, Wapak, Sidney and Troy make for a really nice non-conference schedule and add some playoff quality early season challenges.

Hopefully in the coming years improving programs and recent playoff participants like KR, IL and BL get closer to this kind of competition with higher-end OHC teams and SWBL or WBL teams depending on proximity. With the program making some improvement over the last 5-6 years to usually being "middling" in the CBC, I'd like to see NW get Miami East back on the schedule and away from the jamboree preseason event. Easily doable if NW drops NE and East drops Lehman week 2, but Miami East may feel that with their schedule they need the possible big points Lehman usually offers.
As someone who lives in Sidney, that will not happen. We will be lucky to win 2 games next year. Gordon won't be playing anymore, with the loss of Bowser, will be too much to overcome. There issue, among the many, they never groomed anyone to take their spots. There is a lot of talent in grades 7-9............ A lot, but won't translate for a few years. We had our once in 28 years excitement. Back to reality.
Old 11-15-17, 01:40 PM
All District

foghat78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_27 View Post
As someone who lives in Sidney, that will not happen. We will be lucky to win 2 games next year. Gordon won't be playing anymore, with the loss of Bowser, will be too much to overcome. There issue, among the many, they never groomed anyone to take their spots. There is a lot of talent in grades 7-9............ A lot, but won't translate for a few years. We had our once in 28 years excitement. Back to reality.
SO I take it you know Gordon and know that he's not playing next year?

Also what do you mean they didn't groom anyone? How do you exactly groom someone to play for you the following year? I would think grooming means having a back up take reps in practice and/or playing in JV games? They didn't have a backup or a JV team? I don't remember hearing of a team giving guys Friday night reps on a regular basis so that they can "groom him for next year."

I didn't get to see the Jackets except about 3 games (4 if you count the Thursday night game on TV) this year but from what I can see they have some great younger players and should be at least competitive for the future. They may not be 10-2 every year but 5-5 and 6-4 should be down years for them coming up. I did see on twitter the 8th grade team finished their jr high careers 16-0 so that's got to be a good sign for the future.
Old 11-15-17, 06:48 PM
All American

Tipp has added brand new weight room equipment, it was about time.
Old 11-16-17, 09:40 AM
All American

InTheDarke is on a distinguished road
Tipp is going to be fine. This whole division has the potential to flip upside down every so often. Piqua and Troy can slide for a few years, Greenville and Sidney can rise occasionally, Butler is always a win or a loss or two from being good or bad. Let's not get rash and start tossing coaches out because of one mediocre year.
Old 11-16-17, 11:28 AM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
Would be nice to see tipp to play greeneview