Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-31-17, 08:06 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
The last schedule I saw didn't have Walsh or the PA team on it so that's news to me. Gotta kinda wonder why Hoover and Green are in the first 3 weeks of the season when it's easy to find games, rather than on their fed buy week. I believe Perry is on there somewhere.

Not much room to get acclimated with that schedule, gonna need a leader who can hit the ground running. Lots of talented skill guys back...not a concern....defensive fundamentals and an offensive line is our only hope for success.
Hoover-Louisville should be week 1. Adds to the rivalry atmosphere of the game.

If you really want to fill our bye week join the Fed
Old 10-31-17, 08:26 AM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
I'd like week one.

I'm one that wouldn't mind the fed as much as some others around here. We handled it poorly from the beginning. I was pretty vocal on that. I would have treated the Fed like the easy rebound girl in high school....used you til something better came along and dumped you all over again.
Old 10-31-17, 08:38 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Lake and Green are fine in the Fed...hopefully Louisville wakes up and realizes its where they belong too.
I'm not sure this is workable long-term. It's one thing to play the Hoover rivalry game and throw in a marquee game like Massillon or Austintown-Fitch, but they're going to have serious depth issues playing 3 D1s, 3 borderline D1s/D2s, and a D2. Other than maybe Lake (and I think they may have bottomed out population-wise), it's not likely the numbers decline at any of the Fed schools in the medium-term future. Louisville on the other hand is likely to end up D4 soon, or be a small D3. No public school could survive that, even a school like Steubenville.
Old 10-31-17, 08:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Lake and Green are fine in the Fed...hopefully Louisville wakes up and realizes its where they belong too.
Louisville, Lake and Green were 3 of your 4 wins. Of course you want all of us in the Fed.

In all seriousness and I know most don't like it, but that could get the conversation started on a 2tier that could work for everyone. Plenty of solid all sports programs in the area that could benefit from something like that if done right.
Old 10-31-17, 09:07 AM
Varsity

FeartheNeer is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with 03 here, I do not believe that the Fed is feasible for the ville. I hear a lot of guys complaining about the independent schedule because of the difficulty - both in finding games and the level of the opponents. I don't believe the Leps would have the horses to consistently play with 3-4 R1 perennial playoff teams and not to mention the D2 guys scrapping it out. Having to play that schedule week in and week out is a tall task, and one that I don't see the community being happy with for long.
Old 10-31-17, 09:13 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
hoover lville
jax lake
mck green
perry ccc
go philly
mass dover

right we been down this road - doubt it ever happens - honestly it would be awesome and be great for all sports except football. Sure wrestling, track, cross, - sports that can have large invites it would be fun.

even baseball basketball volleyball softball you play a ton of games so you can do some different things with that.

but football seems to bring different thoughts by same people to the table. and who is to say all those schools would agree to that. I am saying its a long shot.
Old 10-31-17, 03:30 PM
All Region

old man 54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When you look at some of these existing conferences I think the top 2-3 schools in those conferences might be ok with Louisville...it would be the other 4-5 that would likely not want us. Except the Fed of course.

My hope was for an experienced AD with a long resume and a real understanding of how to get things done...a deal maker. Somebody who could easily sell schools like Philly and Dover and CCC that together they could get something done. Someone that could sell Alliance and Marlington that the EBC has nothing for them, and even pressure schools like Lake and Green that there might be something better out there. for me nothing would be off the table until something got done. We'll see what she gets done, but independent isn't the long term solution.

I am looking forward to some new challenges on the schedule next season. It's going to be fun to see if the crowds and atmosphere change. Seems like the NBC was getting a little stale when it came to the fans. There was about 50 kids in our student section last week...a far cry from what it was even 10 years ago.
I think we had a fine AD in Twiman don't you? However, too much resistance caused him to say the hell with it and go take a principle job..I for one, was sad to see him leave the AD position..I think he had the right vision.
Old 10-31-17, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When you look at some of these existing conferences I think the top 2-3 schools in those conferences might be ok with Louisville...it would be the other 4-5 that would likely not want us. Except the Fed of course.

My hope was for an experienced AD with a long resume and a real understanding of how to get things done...a deal maker. Somebody who could easily sell schools like Philly and Dover and CCC that together they could get something done. Someone that could sell Alliance and Marlington that the EBC has nothing for them, and even pressure schools like Lake and Green that there might be something better out there. for me nothing would be off the table until something got done. We'll see what she gets done, but independent isn't the long term solution.

I am looking forward to some new challenges on the schedule next season. It's going to be fun to see if the crowds and atmosphere change. Seems like the NBC was getting a little stale when it came to the fans. There was about 50 kids in our student section last week...a far cry from what it was even 10 years ago.

In my opinion a great league although never happening would be the following teams:

Louisville, Lake, Green, Hoover, Massillon, Dover, NP, CC, and insert another for final 7th team. Why not? Very healthy mix of DII & DIII schools, and we all know DV CC is not afraid to play up.
Old 10-31-17, 08:32 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
I wish I were a fly on the wall in those meetings to see what really happened. But what if Minerva voted no - would the remaining 6 teams have another secret meeting to get Rid of both of them? Riverview is a d4 opponent just finishing 0-10 so it is a better chance to get a win. So I guess we can look at it that way— that could be the best chance for a win next year?? United may be ok- sandy Valley has a good frosh qb and are young, Indian Valley is mostly juniors and will be even better next year and Minerva will actually be really young in 2018, will probably be playing 6 or 7 sophomores.. that’s a long ways out and lots of speculation- let’s hope some fire comes back to the program - last Friday’s game was actually a good start- the boys played hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minfan let me be clear, all I want is the best for this program. You can’t look at the program and not say what is going on. Everyone I talk football with even outside Minerva are shocked at our program and all believe something is missing. I had the privilege invitation of going to the Dover-NP game and these programs are made of quality and class, makes me jealous because I know we should be playing like that. I believe New Philadelphia had 3 or 4 Sophomores playing this year. Hope to see a change next year for the Lions and I mean more than 1 win. One note with the two Freshmen QB’s that I see is a possible dual threat playing both to accommodate the play. My thoughts on Louisville is they will be missed on the schedule but will be successful.
Old 10-31-17, 08:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
In my opinion a great league although never happening would be the following teams:

Louisville, Lake, Green, Hoover, Massillon, Dover, NP, CC, and insert another for final 7th team. Why not? Very healthy mix of DII & DIII schools, and we all know DV CC is not afraid to play up.
Would the Leps consider the ECOL. Dover, New Philadelphia would welcome you with open arms. Travel would be somewhat of an issue other than Dover and NP but definitely doable. Louisville would be an asset to this league and maybe turn it into the growing mode attracting other quality schools.
Old 10-31-17, 08:51 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
Minfan let me be clear, all I want is the best for this program. You canít look at the program and not say what is going on. Everyone I talk football with even outside Minerva are shocked at our program and all believe something is missing. I had the privilege invitation of going to the Dover-NP game and these programs are made of quality and class, makes me jealous because I know we should be playing like that. I believe New Philadelphia had 3 or 4 Sophomores playing this year. Hope to see a change next year for the Lions and I mean more than 1 win. One note with the two Freshmen QBís that I see is a possible dual threat playing both to accommodate the play. My thoughts on Louisville is they will be missed on the schedule but will be successful.

I get what you are saying- those are 2 really good programs. They built winners and thatís what we need to do.. however I do remember some bad Dover teams in their final years in the nbc drawing about 45 fans ó coach Ift built one heckuva program and they have a great following but it wasnít always sunshine and rainbows there.. unfortunately for Minerva we may have to suffer through another lean year in 2018Ė Just have to hope next year is a year or progress and a foundation of a good program

Old 10-31-17, 09:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
I get what you are saying- those are 2 really good programs. They built winners and that’s what we need to do.. however I do remember some bad Dover teams in their final years in the nbc drawing about 45 fans — coach Ift built one heckuva program and they have a great following but it wasn’t always sunshine and rainbows there.. unfortunately for Minerva we may have to suffer through another lean year in 2018– Just have to hope next year is a year or progress and a foundation of a good program

Ift with Dover and Dennison with NP are both amazing coaches. I just don’t understand as I heard we were having trouble getting plays in which seems to always haunt us and that’s on the coaches. Little things missing from our program add up to a lot. I played for the Lions and we played to beat the other team up and that we did, that’s the passion I seriously don’t see, effort? Ok but passion and the will to beat the other team up with aggressive play I don’t see. We played differently then as we busted the other teams in the mouth but that’s what our coach taught us and the W’s racked up. That’s why I complain because what I’m watching isn’t Minerva football but we can get back to that. And your right every school has down years but for the Lions I can’t accept 0-30.
Old 10-31-17, 09:12 PM
All District

I agree with you. But I did see some passion and excitement last Friday - I hope itís a sign of things to come

Old 10-31-17, 09:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
I agree with you. But I did see some passion and excitement last Friday - I hope itís a sign of things to come

Right! I heard that too! I know were going to get back on our feet but it needs to be done with overall program adjustments. I know we played for that Lion on the side of our helmets with passion, pride and grittiness! Thatís Minerva football!
Old 11-01-17, 05:50 AM
All Ohio

peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
This is what I have heard, I am not in the mix in any way, but This was the schedule I was told by a school employee. On a side note, with South Range out, every EBC team has an open date, and I would hope to see Alliance back on the schedule. Would love another shot at Salem after their act this year.

1- Canfield
2- Green
3- Hoover
4- Lake
5 - PA team
6- Open
7- Open
8- Walsh Jes
9- Mass
10- CCC
I doubt that Salem will schedule Louisville as long as the powers that be remain in Salem. The Salem News reported that Kenmore-Garfield will substitute for the Leps, lol! I'm not a Louisville fan, but it still bothers me the way things went down in the league. I always looked at Louisville as a program that other teams in the league should emulate so they can be competitive year in and year out.
Old 11-01-17, 07:20 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 54 View Post
I think we had a fine AD in Twiman don't you? However, too much resistance caused him to say the hell with it and go take a principle job..I for one, was sad to see him leave the AD position..I think he had the right vision.
Agreed....I liked the man, we got along great and his vision that he portrayed to me seemed like the right direction. I think he was a little shell shocked from the outside noise from some of the "big names" in Louisville pressing him on what to do.

It's still all just rumors but everything that I've heard leans towards DeMarco retiring from coaching as well as teaching. If so her first big test will be who takes over. Actually I'm more concerned about who will lead this team rather that who we play. From the schedule we already have for next season a coach could be the difference between 8-2 or 2-8.
Old 11-01-17, 07:47 AM
All American

Quote:

Unless something changed when Twinum left, Dover, Philly and CCC were all interested in doing something with Louisville as far as a league. I've heard from multiple sources that Alliance and Marlington are having second thoughts, and rightfully so...plain common sense is that they belong with the above schools rather than the new EBC.

It's all moot tho if we bring in the wrong guy. We cannot play independent or in a league like that with a coach/staff that are underachievers and refuse to hit in practice. How the hell do you know who to put on defense if you don't know who can tackle? Sounds stupid, but that's exactly what happened last season. We need a guy that can evaluate talent and put us in a position to win. Last season they put one of our best tacklers on an island at corner where he was beaten repeatedly, but the kid never missed a tackle. Might want to move him to safety or linebacker right? It's things like that that make a difference and under this staff they refuse to make changes.

Another thing we need is a good strength and conditioning coach. I've been told DeMarco turned down an offer from one of the guys at my fit life in lieu of the district hiring a guy that doesn't seem to have any real credentials as a strength and conditioning coach. Now the district pays him more than most of the classified staff makes in any of our buildings and he's training all Louisville sports. Sounds like a real good ol' boy back room deal he got.
Old 11-01-17, 09:34 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Would the Leps consider the ECOL. Dover, New Philadelphia would welcome you with open arms. Travel would be somewhat of an issue other than Dover and NP but definitely doable. Louisville would be an asset to this league and maybe turn it into the growing mode attracting other quality schools.
No way a Louisville administraiton would agree to joining the ECOL having to travel to Marietta, Zanesville, Coshocton... The idea is to convince Dover and NP to exodus from the ECOL, not join it.
Old 11-01-17, 01:30 PM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Minfan let me be clear, all I want is the best for this program. You canít look at the program and not say what is going on. Everyone I talk football with even outside Minerva are shocked at our program and all believe something is missing. I had the privilege invitation of going to the Dover-NP game and these programs are made of quality and class, makes me jealous because I know we should be playing like that. I believe New Philadelphia had 3 or 4 Sophomores playing this year. Hope to see a change next year for the Lions and I mean more than 1 win. One note with the two Freshmen QBís that I see is a possible dual threat playing both to accommodate the play. My thoughts on Louisville is they will be missed on the schedule but will be successful.
Lion and Minfan- I have been to every freshmen game and they have a lot of work to do, but there are some excellent skill players. In fact, I looked out on the field during a couple key series last Friday and saw 3 or 4 freshmen on the field and they played pretty well.. I am telling you that there is an extremely talented dual threat QB in that class. For whatever strange reason he only saw limited time at the position throughout the year at the freshmen level. He played a lot in the last freshmen game and he made runs and throws that a lot of kids can't make at that level. If the coaches at Minerva stick with this kid and develop him - they will have a good one for the next 3 years. I talked to one of his family members and he is related to one of the best QBs to ever
play at West Branch back in the 70s - so there are some pretty good blood lines. The team will be young in 2018 but they can games next year. Maybe not 7 games but they need to shoot for at least 500. But they need to get the attitude and commitment that 86 has been talking about all year. I am cautiously optimistic about 2018
Old 11-01-17, 01:32 PM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No way a Louisville administraiton would agree to joining the ECOL having to travel to Marietta, Zanesville, Coshocton... The idea is to convince Dover and NP to exodus from the ECOL, not join it.
I firmly believe that Louisville will land on their feet and continue to churn out good football teams. They may not dominate opponents like they did in the NBC but they have an excellent program.
Old 11-01-17, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
I'm not sure this is workable long-term. It's one thing to play the Hoover rivalry game and throw in a marquee game like Massillon or Austintown-Fitch, but they're going to have serious depth issues playing 3 D1s, 3 borderline D1s/D2s, and a D2. Other than maybe Lake (and I think they may have bottomed out population-wise), it's not likely the numbers decline at any of the Fed schools in the medium-term future. Louisville on the other hand is likely to end up D4 soon, or be a small D3. No public school could survive that, even a school like Steubenville.
Louisville will be D2 before they are D4. Half the league is D2 in football. They have a quality program that would go toe to toe with anyone in the Fed.
Old 11-01-17, 02:55 PM
Varsity

Leopard4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Louisville will be D2 before they are D4. Half the league is D2 in football. They have a quality program that would go toe to toe with anyone in the Fed.

That is not a true statement, and the numbers would tell the truth. Over the last 5 years our numbers have been on a steady decline, and last year's teachers strike pushed over 50+ students out of the district with more leaving this year. It got so bad that one of the current teachers is pulling their kids out and moving out (but will keep teaching here) . Louisville will be a small D3 school for a long time, I doubt they ever get to d4, but I am certain we will never get back to d2.
Old 11-01-17, 03:27 PM
All Ohio

74Leps is on a distinguished road
Probably not true but, a rumor continues to float around - the possibility of Louisville remaining in the NBC except for football
Old 11-01-17, 03:44 PM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
right..no way ECOL makes any sense for Louisville.
Old 11-01-17, 05:29 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
Lion and Minfan- I have been to every freshmen game and they have a lot of work to do, but there are some excellent skill players. In fact, I looked out on the field during a couple key series last Friday and saw 3 or 4 freshmen on the field and they played pretty well.. I am telling you that there is an extremely talented dual threat QB in that class. For whatever strange reason he only saw limited time at the position throughout the year at the freshmen level. He played a lot in the last freshmen game and he made runs and throws that a lot of kids can't make at that level. If the coaches at Minerva stick with this kid and develop him - they will have a good one for the next 3 years. I talked to one of his family members and he is related to one of the best QBs to ever

play at West Branch back in the 70s - so there are some pretty good blood lines. The team will be young in 2018 but they can games next year. Maybe not 7 games but they need to shoot for at least 500. But they need to get the attitude and commitment that 86 has been talking about all year. I am cautiously optimistic about 2018

88- i agree that there is talent in the freshmen class but they lost 4 freshmen games, although mostly due to some very poor coaching.. this is where I agree with lion 86, somebody needs to take control of the program.. there is no way that team should have been a 500 Team. They need discipline, fundamentals, better talent evaluation and better preparation and that all starts at the top. I think Willison can be a great coach - he needs to take control and put his stamp on the program and that needs to start now

Old 11-01-17, 06:50 PM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Two words: weight room.
Old 11-01-17, 08:58 PM
All Region

Tartan78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Spoke w/ NP and Dover Booster members (big money types) They asked me about Louisville FB program. Once they heard Louisville refuses to field JH FB teams for league play, they said the ECOL would likely make them field a JH team as a condition. That has been a issue w/ others from various schools. Louisville might need to reconsider this practice.

Old 11-01-17, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Leps View Post
Probably not true but, a rumor continues to float around - the possibility of Louisville remaining in the NBC except for football
Yeah, I'm not buying that one either since I've heard claims made that Louisville's rate of winning league titles in all sports is one of the main reasons the others are bolting (i.e. it's allegedly not just about Louisville's football success).
Old 11-01-17, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

74Leps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying that one either since I've heard claims made that Louisville's rate of winning league titles in all sports is one of the main reasons the others are bolting (i.e. it's allegedly not just about Louisville's football success).
If I remember info from Leopard Nation, it was in girls sports that Louisville was killing the rest of the NBC.
Old 11-02-17, 07:45 AM
All American

AtownFalcon201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard4life View Post
This is what I have heard, I am not in the mix in any way, but This was the schedule I was told by a school employee. On a side note, with South Range out, every EBC team has an open date, and I would hope to see Alliance back on the schedule. Would love another shot at Salem after their act this year.

1- Canfield
2- Green
3- Hoover
4- Lake
5 - PA team
6- Open
7- Open
8- Walsh Jes
9- Mass
10- CCC
What happened to Fitch in Week 3? 2018 would be year 4 (2015/2017 @ Fitch, 2016 @ Louisville)