Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 03:42 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Those comparing Barkley to Fournette and Zeke missed the mark, and those comparing him to Duke Johnson are uninformed. Barkley has the body of Fournette with more speed and the skill of Duke J. Gurley is the best comparison, but he has more power. As for getting shut down by OSU and Michigan, true, but the PSU O-line was very shorthanded and oh by the way, he did take a kickoff 100 yards against the Buckeyes. He will be a great pro for somebody if he stays healthy.

And if I'm Dorsey, with Gordon and Landry on the outside, I'm picking him #1. Yes I know what the stats say, but the kid is a major difference maker if you have a respectable O-line. His presence helps the passing game even more, he will get attention from defenses.

All of the QBs are too close to call at #1 IMO, and Tyrod is a nice bridge. So even if Buffalo jumps up to get one, there will be a couple decent ones left at #4. As long as it isn't Josh Allen. He can throw a football through a brick wall, if he doesn't completely miss the wall. Darnold or Mayfield at #4.
And Barkley's 35 yds on 14 carries against Rutgers.......is that excusable ? What about 56 on 20 at home against Indiana ? Sure, he averaged 4.7/ against Georgia State, but 47 yds, huh ?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...1/gamelog/2017

There is no doubt he is a tremendous talent. There are more than 2 games where he seems to have disappeared, though.

You watch him run in college, and he has an amazing highlight reel. It also looks like he makes some "business decisions" on the runs that don't make it to SportsCenter. Is he going to fight for first downs in the NFL, or will he be OK if the punt team comes out ? He'll get a solid rookie contract at #1 or #7, but will the team that he signs it with have to wait for it's last year to get 100% 100% of the time ? I wonder.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 03:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
I think the Browns take Chubb first, Barkely goes second, third is auctioned off and a qb is taken. Then the Browns take a QB

Chubb imo is the best pick for the Browns if they arent in love with a particular qb. If they dont love any and think the sepration isnt really there between the avilable qbs I'd take Chubb. It opens up Garrett and could develop that unit into one of the strongest d lines in the game.
no way
Old 03-13-18, 03:53 PM
All Yappi

Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
no way
Who do you think they take? Who do you want them to take. For both picks.

You have stated before you don't want Barkley or Allen and now Chubb. Do you like Darnold or Mayfield the most? If you have stated before i apologize for not noticing.

I agree on not wanting Allen or Barkley with the 1st pick.

Personally i dont like any of them that much. Gun to my head i choose Mayfield, lower upside but I think his bottom is higher than the others.

If Fitzpatrick is available at 4 he is a solid pick as well IMO

Last edited by Arrogate; 03-13-18 at 04:05 PM..
Old 03-13-18, 04:07 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road

Gurley belongs to the same agency as Barkley

Cue cabe melt
Old 03-13-18, 04:23 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
March 14th will likely give everyone a clearer indication of what could happen on April 26th.

And, if I can just vent for a second. I am sick to death of the stance taken by some that John Dorsey is the beneficiary of Sashi Brown's work. 1-31...that's a product of Sashi Brown's work. Intentional tanking is a product of Sashi Brown's work. Swinging and missing on too many draft picks to count is a product of Sashi Brown's work. Yes, he stockpiled draft picks and accumulated unprecedented cap space...but he had plenty of both at his disposal when he had the job and he botched it big time. It's what you do with your assets once you have them. In one 12-hour period, Dorsey gave an indication of what a professional front office can do. I am hopeful he can pull off a couple more coups and bring some top tier free agents to Cleveland (which, until perhaps last week, was the toughest sell in sports). If he can somehow get Solder or Johnson/Breeland (either one) to sign he should get the Executive of the Year award before the season even begins.
I'll give Sashi credit for: 1) Accumulating picks, and 2) Unplugging the fax machine to prevent the McCarron trade. Beyond that, the guy went waaayyyy overboard and unnecessarily turned the team into one of the worst in NFL history. With their awful years leading up to his tenure, the system gave the Browns the ability to build the old fashioned way, not unlike the Jags are doing now. Heck, the Steelers, as much as it pains me to say, do it every damn year from the bottom of the draft.
Old 03-13-18, 04:25 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Thomas to the Browns.
Keenum to the Broncos.
Cousins to the Vikings.
Bridgewater to the Jets.
Bradford to the Cardinals.

Not much fun being AJ McCarron right now with the market shrinking.
Old 03-13-18, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Browns mock draft roundup from Ohio.com:

NFL.com (Lance Zierlein)
No. 1: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
No. 3: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

CBS Sports (Pete Prisco)
No. 1: Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State
No. 4: Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

Pro Football Focus (Steve Palazzolo)
No. 1: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
No. 4: Derwin James, S, Florida State

DraftTek
No. 4: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama

CBS Sports (R.J. White)
No. 1: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

NFL Draft Scout (Rob Rang)
No. 1: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
No. 4: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

USA Today (Nate Davis)
No. 4: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming

ESPN (Todd McShay)
No. 1: Sam Darnold, QB, USC

Denver Post (Nick Kosmider)
No. 4: Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

Sporting News (Eric Galko)

SEC Country (Connor Riley)
Old 03-13-18, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Who do you think they take? Who do you want them to take. For both picks.

You have stated before you don't want Barkley or Allen and now Chubb. Do you like Darnold or Mayfield the most? If you have stated before i apologize for not noticing.

I agree on not wanting Allen or Barkley with the 1st pick.

Personally i dont like any of them that much. Gun to my head i choose Mayfield, lower upside but I think his bottom is higher than the others.

If Fitzpatrick is available at 4 he is a solid pick as well IMO
I'd love to see Chubb at #4 - far more than Barkley. The notion of taking "whatever QB is left at 4" is nuts to me. My read of your post had me thinking you had suggested that, after picking Chubb with #1.

Purely as a passer, I like Rosen best. Concussions and shoulder surgery are a concern. I won't be getting a HIPPA release and exhaustive medical reports from and on Rosen or anyone else (Allen - also shoulder and multiple collarbone issues already), so I'll never be able to address those, but NFL GMs will. Hard for Joe Average Fan like me to make an informed decision given that limitation. Some talk about his attitude - but there is nothing negative from team mates or coaches.

There is a lot to like about Mayfield, but I agree that his top end probably isn't what the others could be. The college passing numbers were impressive. Totally committed and a student of the game. He'll either change his demeanor or paint a big bullseye on himself.

I think Darnold is the best choice. Minor throwing hitch on the load. Definite ball security issues this year, but with no line and little receiver help maybe guilty of just trying too hard to make things happen. Throws well, with touch and timing. A mesomorph (for 'saders ) and a former LB that converted late to QB, he's big and regarded as very tough and durable. 20-4 at USC. Definite leader and a personality that won't be perceived as either aloof or brash by teammates as some could regard the other two.

Allen is a project QB. Greatest personal college success came running as a QB, so running could easily be a "go for what you know" move, to cut and run too quickly when struggling as a passer. He WILL struggle at first. He's had shoulder surgery and a shattered collarbone in college because a high school break was not properly set. It carries a plate and a bunch of screws. That all added together could be a really bad combination - like the worst of Andrew Luck and Romo combined. I'd pass. I don't think he should go in the first round, myself, but I've not seen MRI/CTs, so......

The new front office has interviewed thousands of kids and selected hundreds over the years. Just like you've looked at acres of horseflesh in your avocation. Hits and misses - for you and for them. You remember every horse you've missed big on, and learned from that, right ? Dorsey, Highsmith, and McCloughan are just the same. THIS is a process I can trust.

I'm guessing it will be Darnold 1, Fitzpatrick 4 with Chubb and Barkley gone, but I wouldn't be against trading down some out of 4. Some think Randall is going to FS, negating the selection of Fitzpatrick, but I think that the fact both guys can play both CB and FS could be a real asset if they disguise coverages well.
Old 03-13-18, 06:20 PM
All Yappi

you're silly

And Jimmy sez -

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 03-13-18 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: And Jimmy sez -
Old 03-13-18, 06:21 PM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How do you think that the Browns' roster development today compares to those two teams when those selections were made?
I looked into this extensively during the season.

Lets add a 3rd back drafted highly in recent years... 2015... Gurley picked 10th by Rams. Rams and Jags were two of youngest teams in NFL history in years leading up to selecting running back in 1st round... Took their bumps to let young guys get PT/experience while they stocked up on assets. Took back when it was time to start going for it. Everyone loves Jags defense now... Part of the reason they talked so much trash this year in playoffs in because everyone bashed them when they were all rookies...
Cowboys were slightly further along since they had Dez and their defense had some vets (although not really that great) but they're an interesting comparison as well. Part of the reason Zeke came in and was immediately successful is because Cowboys had highest paid and best offensive line in league at the time. Highest paid oline now? Browns. Sashi loaded us up last year and the process has continued with more signings today. Additional note........ Cowboys drafted Dak in same year as Zeke (later round) the Rams drafted Goff years after Gurley and the Jags were in playoffs but still in a "QB controversy..."

Browns were younger past two years than Rams and Jags were a couple years ago... Wins will come as Browns age.
Old 03-13-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'll give Sashi credit for: 1) Accumulating picks, and 2) Unplugging the fax machine to prevent the McCarron trade. Beyond that, the guy went waaayyyy overboard and unnecessarily turned the team into one of the worst in NFL history. With their awful years leading up to his tenure, the system gave the Browns the ability to build the old fashioned way, not unlike the Jags are doing now. Heck, the Steelers, as much as it pains me to say, do it every damn year from the bottom of the draft.
Tank-a-palooza is over. Bad drafts from Farmer, Lombardi, and Heckert made Sashi's tear-down plan salable in the first place. Their selections basically sucked - especially Farmer's. That can't be ignored. We survived. No way but up, now.

Only since they landed Ben. They'll visit the middle of the pack for a bit again if they don't hit on a QB. We took Braylon friggin' Edwards, wanna-be male model.
Old 03-13-18, 06:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
I looked into this extensively during the season.

Lets add a 3rd back drafted highly in recent years... 2015... Gurley picked 10th by Rams. Rams and Jags were two of youngest teams in NFL history in years leading up to selecting running back in 1st round... Took their bumps to let young guys get PT/experience while they stocked up on assets. Took back when it was time to start going for it. Everyone loves Jags defense now... Part of the reason they talked so much trash this year in playoffs in because everyone bashed them when they were all rookies...
Cowboys were slightly further along since they had Dez and their defense had some vets (although not really that great) but they're an interesting comparison as well. Part of the reason Zeke came in and was immediately successful is because Cowboys had highest paid and best offensive line in league at the time. Highest paid oline now? Browns. Sashi loaded us up last year and the process has continued with more signings today. Additional note........ Cowboys drafted Dak in same year as Zeke (later round) the Rams drafted Goff years after Gurley and the Jags were in playoffs but still in a "QB controversy..."

Browns were younger past two years than Rams and Jags were a couple years ago... Wins will come as Browns age.
You just said nothing of note or real import. Thanks.
Old 03-13-18, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I'd love to see Chubb at #4 - far more than Barkley. The notion of taking "whatever QB is left at 4" is nuts to me. My read of your post had me thinking you had suggested that, after picking Chubb with #1.

Purely as a passer, I like Rosen best. Concussions and shoulder surgery are a concern. I won't be getting a HIPPA release and exhaustive medical reports from and on Rosen or anyone else (Allen - also shoulder and multiple collarbone issues already), so I'll never be able to address those, but NFL GMs will. Hard for Joe Average Fan like me to make an informed decision given that limitation. Some talk about his attitude - but there is nothing negative from team mates or coaches.

There is a lot to like about Mayfield, but I agree that his top end probably isn't what the others could be. The college passing numbers were impressive. Totally committed and a student of the game. He'll either change his demeanor or paint a big bullseye on himself.

I think Darnold is the best choice. Minor throwing hitch on the load. Definite ball security issues this year, but with no line and little receiver help maybe guilty of just trying too hard to make things happen. Throws well, with touch and timing. A mesomorph (for 'saders ) and a former LB that converted late to QB, he's big and regarded as very tough and durable. 20-4 at USC. Definite leader and a personality that won't be perceived as either aloof or brash by teammates as some could regard the other two.

Allen is a project QB. Greatest personal college success came running as a QB, so running could easily be a "go for what you know" move, to cut and run too quickly when struggling as a passer. He WILL struggle at first. He's had shoulder surgery and a shattered collarbone in college because a high school break was not properly set. It carries a plate and a bunch of screws. That all added together could be a really bad combination - like the worst of Andrew Luck and Romo combined. I'd pass. I don't think he should go in the first round, myself, but I've not seen MRI/CTs, so......

The new front office has interviewed thousands of kids and selected hundreds over the years. Just like you've looked at acres of horseflesh in your avocation. Hits and misses - for you and for them. You remember every horse you've missed big on, and learned from that, right ? Dorsey, Highsmith, and McCloughan are just the same. THIS is a process I can trust.

I'm guessing it will be Darnold 1, Fitzpatrick 4 with Chubb and Barkley gone, but I wouldn't be against trading down some out of 4. Some think Randall is going to FS, negating the selection of Fitzpatrick, but I think that the fact both guys can play both CB and FS could be a real asset if they disguise coverages well.
If they love a qb take him 1 no questions asked. My situation was more along the lines of if they see no difference in any of them and dont want to use the 1 pick on a qb, take Chubb over Barkley. Stupid to take Barkley #1 overall. If they choose a non qb for the #1 pick it needs to be Chubb
Old 03-13-18, 06:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

You miss more than you are right on. If you are good you hope to be right around 30% of the time lol.

Id rather be lucky than good bc i think a lot of it comes down to luck.
Old 03-13-18, 06:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Taylor to the Browns.
Keenum to the Broncos.
Cousins to the Vikings.
Bridgewater to the Jets.
Bradford to the Cardinals.

Not much fun being AJ McCarron right now with the market shrinking.
fyp Thinking about Joe ?

One franchise, one gamble, one enigma, and two for-sure bridges ? And one new Bill ?

Hue's begging Haslam to burn picks on AJ last year could have been the latest version of Farmer over-paying his buddy (former?) Duane Bowe. Thanks, Sashi ?

Guys in here and elsewhere were guessing Sunday that TT for 1 year has to mean Mayfield. I pointed out that the type of offense Tyrod succeeds in makes a good starting point for any young QB, not just a 6-footer that can throw on the move, and said TT didn't point to any pick in particular.

I've given it more thought. What is TT's greatest strength, aside from foot speed ? Ball security. What was Darnold's greatest failing last year ? Ball security. Maybe trading for Taylor points to Darnold ?

More likely that he represented the best value, and as a trade a sure thing. Hoping for a FA coup could leave a 1-31 team really overpaying or standing around empty-handed like AJ.
Old 03-13-18, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You miss more than you are right on. If you are good you hope to be right around 30% of the time lol.

Id rather be lucky than good bc i think a lot of it comes down to luck.
Mr. Ed notwithstanding, it must be pretty difficult to coax an introspective moment from a horse in an interview, huh ?
Old 03-13-18, 07:05 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
Certainly not punt returns, he did not even do that in college. Kickoff returns in the NFL are meaningless, so no to that also. I pointed it out simply as an indicator of talent and speed. You sprint away from the OSU corners on kick coverage, you have some great wheels. Sorry that wasn't clear.
No one is really questioning his speed. I've already admitted he's a physical freak.
Old 03-13-18, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Mr. Ed notwithstanding, it must be pretty difficult to coax an introspective moment from a horse in an interview, huh ?
Why do you have to be so weird?
Old 03-13-18, 07:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Why do you have to be so weird?
That was a brilliant response to his post. Very insightful.
Old 03-13-18, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I don’t think it’s insightful at all, it’s very obvious, you’re just a weird guy. But why?
Old 03-13-18, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

you mad, bro ?
Old 03-13-18, 08:27 PM
All Yappi

just curious why?
Old 03-14-18, 12:05 AM
All Yappi

I don't doubt that, e_p
Old 03-14-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Well well well, the draft gets even more interesting. Cleveland to sign Carlos Hyde. Deal to be worth about $15 million over three years.
Old 03-14-18, 07:20 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I don't doubt that, e_p
Well, yeah, you probably ask yourself a million times a day why you are so damn weird. I guess you never found an answer.
Old 03-14-18, 07:25 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Well well well, the draft gets even more interesting. Cleveland to sign Carlos Hyde. Deal to be worth about $15 million over three years.
1,100 yards from the line of scrimmage the last two years. Just the type of back that complements Tyrod Taylor well. I think it also indicates the Browns will not take Barkley with the #1 pick and they feel Barkley won't be there when they pick fourth. I like the signing. It's sensible, but not earth-shattering.
Old 03-14-18, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Just on Golic & Wingo: Adam Schefter reports that the Browns will sign Carlos Hyde. 1,100 yards from the line of scrimmage the last two years. Just the type of back that complements Tyrod Taylor well. I think it also indicates the Browns will not take Barkley with the #1 pick and they feel Barkley won't be there when they pick fourth. I like the signing. It's sensible, but not earth-shattering.
Good call. Hopefully they can keep Hyde healthy. He's been a little bit of a gimp in the NFL and that's held him back. If healthy, he'd be a very good Cleveland winter grinder.
Old 03-14-18, 07:29 AM
All World

Quote:
1,100 yards from the line of scrimmage the last two years. Just the type of back that complements Tyrod Taylor well. I think it also indicates the Browns will not take Barkley with the #1 pick and they feel Barkley won't be there when they pick fourth. I like the signing. It's sensible, but not earth-shattering.
And that's with a pretty bad offense around him (until Jimmy came) and a below average offensive line outside Joe Staley. Cleveland making a lot of good moves this offseason.
Old 03-14-18, 07:37 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
And that's with a pretty bad offense around him (until Jimmy came) and a below average offensive line outside Joe Staley. Cleveland making a lot of good moves this offseason.
He's a much better fit than Crowell. It's a smart signing.

I'm disappointed the top three CBs signed elsewhere, but as you said, the moves just up to this point have already significantly upgraded the Browns roster. If they can somehow lure Solder here, that would be an incredible run for Dorsey. Even as it is, it's still pretty damned good. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see a wideout added .
Old 03-14-18, 08:04 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Fantastic signing with Hyde. He's a perfect complement to Johnson and a significantly better runner than Crowell, when healthy. Also satisfies the Buckeye-Browns fans who were growing tired of Cleveland shunning Ohio State players

This likely rules out drafting Saquon at #1. Hopefully it's Darnold