Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-18, 07:36 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
Northern Lakes League 2018

Thoughts on the 2018 season in the NLL? Is the league becoming too much for Napoleon?

Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
08/24 H Toledo St. Francis de Sales
08/31 H Tiffin Columbian
09/07 A Clyde
09/14 H Sylvania Southview
09/21 A Bowling Green
09/28 A Maumee
10/05 H Perrysburg
10/12 A Sylvania Northview
10/19 A Napoleon
10/26 H Holland Springfield

Perrysburg
08/24 A Dublin Coffman
08/31 A Toledo St. John's Jesuit
09/07 H Toledo Whitmer
09/14 A Napoleon
09/21 H Sylvania Southview
09/28 H Bowling Green
10/05 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/12 H Holland Springfield
10/19 A Sylvania Northview
10/26 A Maumee

Holland Springfield
08/24 H Fremont Ross
08/31 H Toledo Bowsher
09/07 A Lewis Center Olentangy
09/14 H Bowling Green
09/21 A Sylvania Northview
09/28 A Sylvania Southview
10/05 H Napoleon
10/12 A Perrysburg
10/19 A Maumee
10/26 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne

Sylvania Northview
08/23 H Toledo Waite
08/31 A Oregon Clay
09/07 A Toledo Bowsher
09/14 H Maumee
09/21 H Holland Springfield
09/28 A Napoleon
10/05 A Bowling Green
10/12 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/19 H Perrysburg
10/26 H Sylvania Southview

Sylvania Southview
08/24 H Millington (MI)
08/31 A Fremont Ross
09/07 H Toledo Scott
09/14 A Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
09/21 A Perrysburg
09/28 H Holland Springfield
10/05 H Maumee
10/12 A Napoleon
10/19 H Bowling Green
10/26 A Sylvania Northview

Bowling Green
08/24 H Toledo St. John's Jesuit
08/31 A Pemberville Eastwood
09/07 H Tontogany Otsego
09/14 A Holland Springfield
09/21 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
09/28 A Perrysburg
10/05 H Sylvania Northview
10/12 A Maumee
10/19 A Sylvania Southview
10/26 H Napoleon

Maumee
08/24 A Toledo Bowsher
08/31 A Toledo Waite
09/07 H Pemberville Eastwood
09/14 A Sylvania Northview
09/21 H Napoleon
09/28 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/05 A Sylvania Southview
10/12 H Bowling Green
10/19 H Holland Springfield
10/26 H Perrysburg

Napoleon
08/24 H Defiance
08/31 A Liberty Center
09/07 A Wauseon
09/14 H Perrysburg
09/21 A Maumee
09/28 H Sylvania Northview
10/05 A Holland Springfield
10/12 H Sylvania Southview
10/19 H Whitehouse Anthony Wayne
10/26 A Bowling Green
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-18, 07:58 AM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Clay will take their spot soon enough
Old 03-13-18, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Clay lost to Northview: 0-31. Napoleon lost 13-35. Clay always has bad years, for their economics. Napoleon occasionally has bad years. A typical BAD year for them might be .500.

If they want to get more regularly into play-offs, sure, they might find a new conference with smaller or less successful schools. They could form a conference with Clay and the City League. Find a D3 or D4 harbin cow for out of conference and boom.
Old 03-13-18, 06:33 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Napoleon was always seen as too bog for the NWOAL but not anymore. I believe Liberty Center bested the Wildcats the past two years and LC did not even make the playoffs last year if I am not mistaken.

Clay is a natural fit for the NLL (demographic wise). They always have been but they have such an odd culture that is tough to get over. Wrestling did it, but it did not happen overnight as many think. There was an 8-10 year stretch of hard work from a certain few that made that thing a success and they are kind of on an island of their own from a Clay athletics standpoint (fundraise themselves, do many things away from the rest of the Clay athletics). Hopefully HC John Galyas has the kids heading in the right direction. If they can keep their best kids from leaving to league rivals, and get all of the kids in their building out, AND take advantage of open enrollment they could make some noise. Lots of "ifs" in that last sentence.
Old 03-13-18, 06:37 PM
All World

As for the league AW loses quite a bit. Springfield returns the QB but lost a bunch as well. I know Perrysburg has been playing for this class for sometime. Still mostly juniors but should be improved. Northview loses some special kids in Hartsbarger and Leach. Maumee graduated their tough little RB and several good linemen. I'd say a down year with Perrysburg regaining the title?

What can anyone tell us about Southview, BG, and Napoleon?
Old 03-14-18, 03:26 PM
All District

Johnson&Johnson is on a distinguished road
Have always thought the NLL would be a perfect fit for Fremont Ross.
Old 03-14-18, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Saves a few miles but I think Fremont Ross likes the idea of going against the strongest competition they can reach. Tough for a small town these days. They need to ride that Findlay bandwagon to keep the economics up. The three F's with T together could compete with the larger cities for gov ag dollars and market and keep a lifestyle many prefer over urban or burbs. Enough universities amongst them, they should be able to build some tech industry.
Old 03-14-18, 04:40 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Saves a few miles but I think Fremont Ross likes the idea of going against the strongest competition they can reach. Tough for a small town these days. They need to ride that Findlay bandwagon to keep the economics up. The three F's with T together could compete with the larger cities for gov ag dollars and market and keep a lifestyle many prefer over urban or burbs. Enough universities amongst them, they should be able to build some tech industry.
I can guarantee you that Ross doesn't like being the TRAC. They would trip over themselves to be in a better fit, especially if that was the NLL or SBC.
Old 03-14-18, 05:07 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
If Napoleon can find a better league for their size the NLL will take Clay.

Maumee would have to leave too for the league to consider Ross, but there is nowhere for Maumee to go.

I believe the SBC should bite the bullet and admit Ross, but my understanding is that no one in the SBC wants to do that.
Old 03-14-18, 05:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson&Johnson View Post
I can guarantee you that Ross doesn't like being the TRAC. .
Why not?
Old 03-14-18, 07:20 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Why not?
You will have to ask them exactly why but they've made it known they would like to be elsewhere. My guess is the competition is too much along with proximity.
Old 03-14-18, 08:29 PM
All World

Quote:
You will have to ask them exactly why but they've made it known they would like to be elsewhere. My guess is the competition is too much along with proximity.
I've heard this from several of their fans but that stems from them wanting to dominate in football. The problem is the SBC will not take them as Ross is perceived as a big fish so to speak. Naturally, they fit with such league rivals as Sandusky and Tiffin Columbian. I could see this happening within the next ten years.

At some point NWOhio will have another major shift but it will be driven from the NLL where schools like Perrysburg and AW continue to grow and others like Maumee remain land locked and the league will at some point be forced to change. Once that happens another domino effect will happen. Everything in the Toledo area, from a change standpoint, runs through the NLL as a starting point.
Old 03-15-18, 07:55 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
I've heard this from several of their fans but that stems from them wanting to dominate in football. The problem is the SBC will not take them as Ross is perceived as a big fish so to speak. Naturally, they fit with such league rivals as Sandusky and Tiffin Columbian. I could see this happening within the next ten years.

At some point NWOhio will have another major shift but it will be driven from the NLL where schools like Perrysburg and AW continue to grow and others like Maumee remain land locked and the league will at some point be forced to change. Once that happens another domino effect will happen. Everything in the Toledo area, from a change standpoint, runs through the NLL as a starting point.
I agree with this. IMO the TRAC is only a short term solution between schools that really don't want to be together but they all have no other options. Findlay, Clay and Fremont would all rather be in NLL.

Other things that may cause things to changes to the NLL/TRAC are TCC continues it massive decline in students and looks to compete against smaller schools (don't see any league wanting them). Lima finally gets invited to the WBL where they really want to be. Also if Toledo closes a school or two may impact things if another change happens at same time.
Old 03-15-18, 11:11 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Ross applied for admission to the SBC and were denied. The SBC thinks Ross is too big to be a part of their ever-growing group of schools. Ross to the NLL is also something some folks in Fremont would like to see.

Size-wise Ross mostly fits in with its TRAC brothers and sisters. But competition-wise the Little Giants have struggled. Those struggles have prompted some to look at other leagues.

My thoughts are that Ross will never get into the SBC. Along with the size difference, there are some, not all, in SBC-land who will never vote to let Ross in. Some in the SBC like being the big boys on the block who beat up on much smaller league schools. They don't want too see the tables turned. If the NLL has an open spot, it will go to Clay not Ross.

Ross is, for lack of a better word, stuck in the TRAC. What seems a better option is waiting for change in the six-team TCL. Not sure how the Toledo City Schools can afford to keep six high schools going for the long-term. If one or two TCL schools were to close, the remainder could merge with the TRAC. Time will tell.

Just my opinion
Old 03-15-18, 02:42 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontKeith View Post
Ross applied for admission to the SBC and were denied. The SBC thinks Ross is too big to be a part of their ever-growing group of schools. Ross to the NLL is also something some folks in Fremont would like to see.

Size-wise Ross mostly fits in with its TRAC brothers and sisters. But competition-wise the Little Giants have struggled. Those struggles have prompted some to look at other leagues.

My thoughts are that Ross will never get into the SBC. Along with the size difference, there are some, not all, in SBC-land who will never vote to let Ross in. Some in the SBC like being the big boys on the block who beat up on much smaller league schools. They don't want too see the tables turned. If the NLL has an open spot, it will go to Clay not Ross.

Ross is, for lack of a better word, stuck in the TRAC. What seems a better option is waiting for change in the six-team TCL. Not sure how the Toledo City Schools can afford to keep six high schools going for the long-term. If one or two TCL schools were to close, the remainder could merge with the TRAC. Time will tell.

Just my opinion
Keith you are spot on.

The more the NLL gets out of whack (Napoleon and Maumee shrink as Perrysburg and AW grow) the more the chance will be for a combo NLL/TRAC/TCL.

The NLL is the same way. Theoretically Perrysburg and AW could jump to the TRAC now but they are comfortable being the big dog on the block. All leagues are this way, the larger schools like it and the smaller schools or ones that have not been as successful see themselves as having success elsewhere as a big dog.

This is exactly WHY we need a 16 team league with fluidity that can change every two years or so accounting for class size & talent. I'd even be in favor of 18 teams (3 - 6 team divisions - with two cross over games).

I must admit, I do love the TRAC for football. Some of the best HS venues in the state and as competitive a league as you will find.
Old 03-17-18, 09:38 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keith you are spot on.The more the NLL gets out of whack (Napoleon and Maumee shrink as Perrysburg and AW grow) the more the chance will be for a combo NLL/TRAC/TCL.

This is exactly WHY we need a 16 team league with fluidity that can change every two years or so accounting for class size & talent. I'd even be in favor of 18 teams (3 - 6 team divisions - with two cross over games).
Kind of like relegation in the Premier League in the UK? I like that idea.
Old 03-17-18, 03:34 PM
All Region

jafo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Keith you are spot on.

The more the NLL gets out of whack (Napoleon and Maumee shrink as Perrysburg and AW grow) the more the chance will be for a combo NLL/TRAC/TCL.

The NLL is the same way. Theoretically Perrysburg and AW could jump to the TRAC now but they are comfortable being the big dog on the block. All leagues are this way, the larger schools like it and the smaller schools or ones that have not been as successful see themselves as having success elsewhere as a big dog.

I must admit, I do love the TRAC for football. Some of the best HS venues in the state and as competitive a league as you will find.
I realize this is all hypothetical, for now, but even if the TCL were to drop to four schools that would leave 20 schools in the 3 leagues. Which schools do you anticipate would NOT be included in a combined NLL/TCL/TRAC league with 16 or 18 members?
Old 03-17-18, 03:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo View Post
I realize this is all hypothetical, for now, but even if the TCL were to drop to four schools that would leave 20 schools in the 3 leagues. Which schools do you anticipate would NOT be included in a combined NLL/TCL/TRAC league with 16 or 18 members?
I would say Napoleon (size) and Lima (location) a the two that least fit with the rest.
Old 03-18-18, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Will any of the NLL teams have enough in the tank to challenge Avon and Toledo CC in R6? Anthony Wayne has been very good, and we know Perrysburg has in the recent past. Anyone else? Is the Springfield run as a contender over, or have they built a playoff program? Was Northview a one year wonder, or are they building a playoff program?
Old 03-18-18, 12:00 PM
All World

Neither Perrysburg nor AW will leave the NLL in the foreseeable future. Napoleon and Maumee might want a better situation, but there has to be somewhere for them to go.

There is no chance of a combined NLL/TCL/TRAC. Zero.

Last edited by chs1971; 03-19-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 03:39 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
Couple things

While the WBL plays Senior High in a number of sports annually the WBL is not interested in going from 10 schools to 11. It would from a football standpoint create a nightmare scenario for awarding a conference champion scheduling wise. Haven't lived in Lima permanently for a LONG time but school size and school demographics use to play a huge role back in the day. Whether or not those to variables still remain I have no idea.

Being an alum from some 20 years ago (time flies) I always laughed and still do laugh when league members or their fans bring up travel. Lima is the one who has to make multiple trips per sport per season to these places far far away. Whitmer, Clay, Fairfield, Hamilton, Colerain, etc... (old GMC days) only have to come to Lima ONCE a season. Being in the GMC back in the 90s I became very accustomed to making those 2 hour trips down I-75 SEVERAL times a season just for ONE sport. Although during the spring you can't beat getting out of school 2 hours early twice a week to get down to Hamilton or Fairfield for a baseball game.
Old 03-19-18, 08:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
Couple things

While the WBL plays Senior High in a number of sports annually the WBL is not interested in going from 10 schools to 11. It would from a football standpoint create a nightmare scenario for awarding a conference champion scheduling wise. Haven't lived in Lima permanently for a LONG time but school size and school demographics use to play a huge role back in the day. Whether or not those to variables still remain I have no idea.

Being an alum from some 20 years ago (time flies) I always laughed and still do laugh when league members or their fans bring up travel. Lima is the one who has to make multiple trips per sport per season to these places far far away. Whitmer, Clay, Fairfield, Hamilton, Colerain, etc... (old GMC days) only have to come to Lima ONCE a season. Being in the GMC back in the 90s I became very accustomed to making those 2 hour trips down I-75 SEVERAL times a season just for ONE sport. Although during the spring you can't beat getting out of school 2 hours early twice a week to get down to Hamilton or Fairfield for a baseball game.
Lima is always going to have a lot of long trips unless they can get in the WBL. Obviously WBL will not let them in unless someone else leave and IMO Kenton is the most likely but even then I don't believe Lima would be the other WBL schools first choice.
Old 03-20-18, 07:48 PM
Junior Varsity

dappling is on a distinguished road
Maumee IS on an island! I was told that their enrollment will be under 800 next year 9-12. Their big rival Perrysburg will have 2x that.

What is the story on Toledo CC? Why does their enrollment keep dropping?
Old 03-20-18, 07:54 PM
All District

Maumee fit into SBC Lake? Doubtful but other than NBC, I'm not sure there are any other options.
Old 03-21-18, 08:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappling View Post
Maumee IS on an island! I was told that their enrollment will be under 800 next year 9-12. Their big rival Perrysburg will have 2x that.

What is the story on Toledo CC? Why does their enrollment keep dropping?
It is not just TCC it is all of the big 5 privates in Toledo. Here are there drops for the 3 classes factored in enrollment.

St. John's - 134
St. Francis - 59
TCC - 51
Notre Dame - 64
St. Ursula - 38

That is 115 less per class for all 5 combined. I think one reason is the schools such as Perrysburg and others suburbs are doing a good job educating their children that parents don't feel the need to spend the money.
Old 03-21-18, 08:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Neither Perrysburg nor AW will leave the NLL in the foreseeable future. Napoleon and Maumee might want a better situation, but there has to be somewhere for them to go.

There is no chance of a combined NLL/TCL/TRAC. Zero.
I agree, they have it really good in that league. If Maumee and Napoleon bolt I could see them easily adding Clay and Ross. Once that happens it will not take long before other dominoes start falling and schools like BG want out. At some point, the disparity will become too great.
Old 03-21-18, 11:10 AM
All Region

TRAC Football is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree, they have it really good in that league. If Maumee and Napoleon bolt I could see them easily adding Clay and Ross. Once that happens it will not take long before other dominoes start falling and schools like BG want out. At some point, the disparity will become too great.
Can't you read, he just told you there was ZERO chance... end of discussion.

Probably thought there was ZERO chance CCHS would be D4 enrollment 15-20 years ago too.
Old 03-21-18, 07:24 PM
All District

Cooter26 is on a distinguished road
MAYBE Maumee & Napoleon to the NWOAL? Even though itís a small
school league (with Wauseon being the biggest school in the league) iím sure they would find very good competition there. I think it would be the best fit for them. Plus every school in the league besides a few is within 20 miles.

I donít see this happening but itís just a thought
Old 03-21-18, 08:00 PM
All World

Quote:
Maumee fit into SBC Lake? Doubtful but other than NBC, I'm not sure there are any other options.
Maumee would be the correct size for the SBC, but schools like Norwalk and Tiffin are more than an hour away. Which when you are geographic center of the NLL would be a big change.
Old 03-21-18, 08:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Size-wise the only school like BG is Maumee. While Maumee has explored leaving the NLL, there has been no such discussion at BG.