Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-18, 06:08 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
BoJo pin
Final tOSU 29-6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-18, 06:14 PM
All American

Dad4Sports is on a distinguished road
NC State has a top quality team. After watching the Buckeyes completely dominate this match though, it reminds me what an absolute meat grinder the Big 10 is.
Old 02-18-18, 06:52 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
McKenna is looking like an NCAA title contender right now

Old 02-18-18, 07:00 PM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
I’m just glad we won a match. Whew! Best of luck at B1Gs!.
Old 02-18-18, 07:30 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Where is Ohio State? Never heard of her. New program?
Old 02-18-18, 07:31 PM
All American

1_beast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
OHIO STATE BUCKEYES NORTH CAROLINA STATE WOLFPACK
125: Fausz dec Tomasello 3-0 NC State; Obviously can go either way, but Fausz is long and solid on the mat which I think will be the difference in this one.
133: Pletcher dec Wilson in overtime 3-3; Wilson has some solid wins this year and could be a problem for Pletcher.
141: Jack dec McKenna 6-3 NC State; Would not be terribly shocked to see McKenna take this one, but Jack has been on fire as of late.
149: Hayes dec Donahue 6-6; Donahue is tough to score on, but do not think Hayes will have a lot of trouble
157: Hilday pin Jordan 12-6 NC State; My big prediction of the dual. Hilday's ability to put his opponents in danger is underrated and we all know that Micah gets put on his back a good amount.
165: Hamman dec Campbell 15-6 NC State; Campbell has been in a slump lately and I do not see him getting out of it here.
174: Jordan maj Bullard 15-10 NC State; Bo Jordan taking care of business
184: Renda dec Martin 18-10 NC State; Could go either way but Renda has Martin's number
197: Moore dec Macchiavelo 18-13 NC State; Macc is one of the most underrated wrestlers in the country. That being said I do not think he will be able to upend Moore.
HWT: Snyder maj Boykin 18-17 NC State; Boykin is a very tough wrestler and Snyder is not known for putting guys on their back. Would be surprised to see more than a major here.
Predictions dont seem to be your cup of tea!
Old 02-18-18, 08:27 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_beast View Post
Predictions dont seem to be your cup of tea!
1 out of 10 ain't bad... And didn't see much "trouble" in the 1
Old 02-19-18, 09:54 AM
All American

CincyCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
McKenna is looking like an NCAA title contender right now
I agree. But I enter into that line of thinking with a smidge of skepticism because he's been here before. He's just gotta go out and non-stop attack and make it happen. Any one of the top 8-10 guys here could be finalists on any given weekend. Tons of top quality depth at 141. He could finish anywhere from 1-DNP on any weekend.
Old 02-19-18, 11:35 AM
All Region

BuckeyeFan94 is on a distinguished road
McKenna definitely has the potential but I still like Meredith and Heil to be in the finals. On another note Kollin Moore, with his 2 losses it seems alarming but I still like him to get it done in March.
Old 02-19-18, 11:44 AM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
What does everyone think of Micah Jordan this year..imo I don't get the feeling he will AA...I would like to see it, but I just think it will be a tall task for him.
Old 02-19-18, 12:12 PM
Junior Varsity

meluvwrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingfan21 View Post
What does everyone think of Micah Jordan this year..imo I don't get the feeling he will AA...I would like to see it, but I just think it will be a tall task for him.
It appears this is a question by some on varies forums. Micah isn't to small for the weight. My feeling is that his bottom wrestling needs work. This is something he should work on for the next 2 weeks. The rest of his wrestling is fine. He lost to Hidlay because he couldn't get off bottom. Since he isn't a big freestyle guy, he should focus on that during the off season as well.

I think he AAs but somewhere in the 5-7 range.
Old 02-19-18, 02:32 PM
All Ohio

kessen157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestlingfan21 View Post

He has lost 5 matches this year. You guys are going way over board and acting like he is getting beat by nobodies.

#2 Kemerer former AA
#3 Hidlay
2x #6 Pantaleo former AA and gave Nolf a great match
#5 Shields who he has split with
Old 02-19-18, 04:14 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessen157 View Post
He has lost 5 matches this year. You guys are going way over board and acting like he is getting beat by nobodies.

#2 Kemerer former AA
#3 Hidlay
2x #6 Pantaleo former AA and gave Nolf a great match
#5 Shields who he has split with
But there's another side to this: Micah Jordan's record against top 8 opponents (All-Americans theoretically) is 1-5 this year.
Old 02-19-18, 04:21 PM
All Region

blitz56 is on a distinguished road
Micah should've stayed at 149. He is a smaller 157 and I think that's one reason he has problems getting off bottom.
Old 02-19-18, 04:31 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz56 View Post
Micah should've stayed at 149. He is a smaller 157 and I think that's one reason he has problems getting off bottom.
He had the same problem last year.
Old 02-19-18, 05:09 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
He had the same problem last year.
Agree. And the year before that as well. It's never good when you go on bottom and after 5 seconds your head never leaves the mat.
Old 02-19-18, 05:15 PM
All District

Wrestlingfan21 is on a distinguished road
Also if Nolf I'd healthy, that's one more person in front of him
Old 02-19-18, 05:32 PM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
Ohio State is a very tough team to predict due to their inconsistencies. I picked 9/10 matches correct in OSU vs Penn St and was one of the only people that picked McKenna over Lee. I was also probably the only person on this forum that said Spencer Lee had a chance to beat Nato. Hilday had Micah pinned with that tilt so l actually should have had 2 right.
Old 02-19-18, 09:39 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ohio State is a very tough team to predict due to their inconsistencies. I picked 9/10 matches correct in OSU vs Penn St and was one of the only people that picked McKenna over Lee. I was also probably the only person on this forum that said Spencer Lee had a chance to beat Nato. Hilday had Micah pinned with that tilt so l actually should have had 2 right.

Ok. I don't know how to say this, but the DNC and CNN are looking for guys like you to put that spin on things they are missing on...
Old 02-19-18, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Picking 9 of 10 at Penn/State was not all that difficult. All you had to do is pick the higher ranked wrestler at each weight. OSU is also not that hard to pick. They won Cliff Keen and went 14-1 in duals. All you had to do is pick them to win every event they wrestled and you would have had an outstanding record.
Old 02-19-18, 10:39 PM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
With regards to Micah... a lot of it will just depend on the bracket. The one thing you can count on at the NCAA's is that you can't count on anything. I've watched national champs go 2 and out. I've watched wrestlers with losing records win national titles. My gut says, if he found a way to hit the podium last year, he's likely to repeat the accomplishment. I'm a PSU guy, but I'm pulling for the Jordan boys.

Coach Root
Old 02-19-18, 10:52 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Root View Post
With regards to Micah... a lot of it will just depend on the bracket. The one thing you can count on at the NCAA's is that you can't count on anything. I've watched national champs go 2 and out. I've watched wrestlers with losing records win national titles. My gut says, if he found a way to hit the podium last year, he's likely to repeat the accomplishment. I'm a PSU guy, but I'm pulling for the Jordan boys.

Coach Root
What wrestler with a losing record won an NCAA title?
Old 02-20-18, 03:57 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
You're definitely ready for the postseason pick-em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
I'm also wondering what NCAA champ went 2 and out?
Old 02-20-18, 07:44 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz56 View Post
I agree at 149 he would be stronger. The team has one wrestler going up a weight class and one going down. Not good for either wrestler.
Old 02-20-18, 07:54 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
I'm also wondering what NCAA champ went 2 and out?
Recent memory, Greg Jones of West Virgina, 3x National Champ, won as an undefeated freshman in 2002, then went 0-2 in 2003, then won 2 more times after than.

This was the only thing I could find on losing record coming into NCAA championships "an unseeded Mark Branch coming into the national tournament with a losing record before claiming the crown." The article didn't list his record but did say he had 9 losses which is tied with 3 other wrestlers as the most losses an NCAA champ has ever had while entering the NCAA tourny. *edit* found that his record was 8-9 entering the tournament, so obviously wasn't below .500 after winning it.

As a side note, J Jaggers had 6 losses when he won his first and 7 losses when he won the second title.

Last edited by Cramer; 02-20-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 08:26 AM
Junior Varsity

meluvwrestling is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
I agree at 149 he would be stronger. The team has one wrestler going up a weight class and one going down. Not good for either wrestler.
There is 2 guys going up & 2 down a weight class. Campbell & NATO are cutting massive weight and I'm sure that both can't wait for the season to end. I agree that Jordan would be stronger at 149# but he's not a small 157#. I can see how some would think that because he doesn't look muscular like some of his opponents, long muscle build. With such short notice that Hayes & Jordan were moving up, I'm sure during this upcoming season, both will be heavy for their weight class next season.
Old 02-20-18, 08:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Jordan is not a small 157. Might he do better at 149...maybe but that is just because 149 is not as deep. The other narrative that keeps getting repeated that is completly baseless, is that NATO is somehow struggling because he is cutting weight. His third periods have been his best the entire season. He broke the Penn State and NC State kids and teched Mattin. He got the only takedown in the 3rd against Lee. His gas tank has been a strength to date.
Old 02-20-18, 09:08 AM
All American

Pope Francis 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd recommend against arguing over getting 2 of 10 correct rather than 1 of 10 correct...... it doesn't help your cause!
You're fellow students must've loved you when your teachers graded on a curve............

Last edited by Pope Francis 1; 02-20-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

kessen157
Quote:
Yet they are both ranked in the top 8 all year. Man I hope they can win a match at nationals or qualify for that matter
Old 02-20-18, 09:50 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
I believe Wyoming’s head coach, Mark Branch, entered the NCAA tournament with a losing record (8-9) as a freshman wrestling for Okie State. After winning I believe he had a winning record on the year, but I thought he entered the tournament with a losing record. I could be wrong, but it sticks out in my mind... anyone know for sure?

Coach Root