Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Archives

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-10, 08:37 AM
All Region

sehs73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
One of the few advantages of being really old is the ability to detect revisionist history like the crap posted above. Back in the stone age when Ed's was the new kid on the block and the football playoff system was an unrealized dream, the academic excellence of my class at Ignatius was evidenced by the 99+% of grads who went on to college, typical of all the Ignatius classes in the four years I attended. Ed's then was the westside Catholic "trade" school, where considerably less than 50% of each year's class went on to college. There was no correlation whatsoever between academic excellence and football success ever at Ignatius. It was well established back then among Catholic parents on the westside that if they wanted their sons to attend college they sent them to Ignatius. While Ed's back then admitted anyone with a pulse who applied, Ignatius' entrance requirements were even more rigid than they are now, with only about a third of applicants being enrolled.

The gap in academic excellence between Ignatius and Ed's now is miniscule and the relative football success of the two schools had nothing to do with that. With an Ignatius grad manning the presidency of Ed's, I expect the academic achievement of Ed's to continue upward, irrrespective of the fortunes of the Eagles on the gridiron.
Revisionist history cuts both ways. No qualms here about the purported "trade school" qualities of some St. Ed programs of the 50's, 60's and 70's. We at least recognize our shortcomings. That said, academic brilliance hasn't been exclusively housed on W. 30th since the dawn of creation.

Anyone who doesn't think Ignatius's academic stature wasn't raised with Kyle's success is in denial. Alumni have a funny way of suddenly feeling good about their school when championships are won. That invariably translates into money and renewed success.

As long as the "miniscule" academic excellence gap continues to move St. Ed's way, I'm good.

And thanks to Kubaki, it is moving that way!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 11:58 AM
All District

tenminuteman
If Lake Catholic were never to have opened in Mentor. St. Joe's would be one of 3 great catholic institutions in the Cleveland area. Can you imagine the great Lake teams of the 90's combined with the great athletes St. Joe had playing basketball and to some extent football in the 90's. The Cleveland catholic landscape was impacted by two great changes. 1. the closing of Cathedral Latin. 2. the opening of Lake Catholic.

Congrats to the Eagles on their accomplishment. At least the titel stays in NE Ohio.
Old 12-15-10, 12:16 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
That St. Edward went to Mooney in 2010 and - as far as anyone knew - it was two year deal. Plus, it's even on this Mooney schedule.
Exactly, that's why I questioned this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Mooney owes us a home game too and we may not play them either.
Old 12-15-10, 12:32 PM
Oderint dum metuant

JazzyJeff is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
Exactly, that's why I questioned this post:
Mea culpa.

I thought you were questioning why St. Edward was "owed" a return game.
Old 12-15-10, 12:39 PM
Oderint dum metuant

Here's the thing about Catholic schools in Cleveland: they are going to get smaller. Private schools need to provide more value and opportunity than ever before.

If was president, principal or a teacher at a Catholic school, I would spend my time focuses on these three things.

1. Ensuring students (and paying customers) are getting the value for their money.
2. Raise the endowment.
3. Continue to improve existing processes, curricula and facilities.

Athletic success is a bonus, not a savior.
Old 12-15-10, 02:18 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff View Post
Here's the thing about Catholic schools in Cleveland: they are going to get smaller. Private schools need to provide more value and opportunity than ever before.

If was president, principal or a teacher at a Catholic school, I would spend my time focuses on these three things.

1. Ensuring students (and paying customers) are getting the value for their money.
2. Raise the endowment.
3. Continue to improve existing processes, curricula and facilities.

Athletic success is a bonus, not a savior.
I can't argue with any of those points. Athletic success indeed may really only be a bonus. Nevertheless, i think Ignatius used their athletic success in football over the past 20 years to enhance their enrollment, excite their alumni and promote their educational programs. Nothing wrong with any of that. They've been very good at it.

I think Kubaki would like to keep enrollment around 1,000 if he can. Certainly, the pool of potential applicants for Catholic schools is decreasing. My point is the changes at St Ed are positive and the football success gives them a chance to invigorate the alumni and promote the school to 6th 7th and 8th grade students and their parents.

I don't think Kubaki has any plans to make Ed's bigger than 1,000.
Old 12-15-10, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs73 View Post
I think Kubaki would like to keep enrollment around 1,000 if he can. Certainly, the pool of potential applicants for Catholic schools is decreasing. My point is the changes at St Ed are positive and the football success gives them a chance to invigorate the alumni and promote the school to 6th 7th and 8th grade students and their parents.

Coke syrup secret issue here, I realize , but isn't it currently true that St. Ed's enrollment is nowhere near 1000? More like 750-800?
Old 12-15-10, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can't argue with any of those points. Athletic success indeed may really only be a bonus. Nevertheless, i think Ignatius used their athletic success in football over the past 20 years to enhance their enrollment, excite their alumni and promote their educational programs. Nothing wrong with any of that. They've been very good at it.

According to ODE figures, Ignatius has had relatively the same size student body for decades, with freshman enrollments ranging from a low of 294 in 1979 to a high of 392 in 1999, and an overall student body of around 1200-1400. I suppose one could argue that success in football has allowed them to sustain the same incoming class figures while the other Catholic high schools began to see steady drops in the mid to late 80's, but it's speculative.

Meanwhile, Ed's hasn't seen a student body of 1,000 students in quite some years, so I'm not sure where you got that figure from.
Old 12-15-10, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Coke syrup secret issue here, I realize , but isn't it currently true that St. Ed's enrollment is nowhere near 1000? More like 750-800?
Closer to 900, but I don't think we have been over 900 since the late 80's.
Old 12-15-10, 05:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
According to ODE figures, Ignatius has had relatively the same size student body for decades, with freshman enrollments ranging from a low of 294 in 1979 to a high of 392 in 1999, and an overall student body of around 1200-1400. I suppose one could argue that success in football has allowed them to sustain the same incoming class figures while the other Catholic high schools began to see steady drops in the mid to late 80's, but it's speculative.

Meanwhile, Ed's hasn't seen a student body of 1,000 students in quite some years, so I'm not sure where you got that figure from.
I stand corrected. I thought we were closer to 1,000. My son says his freshman class is around 250, but I guess that seems a bit high. Obviously, the other classes are not as large. A board member told me after the Kubaki hire that getting to 1,000 would be nice. I guess that may be an unreasonable goal considering the economic climate and the future projections for Catholic education.

Ignatius going from 294 to 392 between '79 & '99 is a sizable increase. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at. While it wouldn't explain everything, I'd be curious to see the numbers from just before Kyle got hired to the present figure.

The viability of my little rantings will be determined in the late spring when we see the early projections for next year's freshman class. Football won't account for everything, but I'd still like to see the numbers.
Old 12-15-10, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

EagleSE
The school was last over 1,000 students in the 1987-88 school year with 1,039 and the lowest enrollment with all four classes was in 1990-91 with 825.
With Kubacki introducing the IB program I felt certain it would have a positive impact on next year's freshmen class size, adding the football title and excitement created by this year's team and I believe the class size will even be larger. But that's all pie in the sky, we will know for sure in August when the butts are in the seats. However, and I am sure the alumn of St. Eds would agree with me, there is considerably more enthusiasm for the school with all that has happened over the last 8 months, which includes the hiring of Jim Kubacki.
Old 12-15-10, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I stand corrected. I thought we were closer to 1,000. My son says his freshman class is around 250, but I guess that seems a bit high. Obviously, the other classes are not as large. A board member told me after the Kubaki hire that getting to 1,000 would be nice. I guess that may be an unreasonable goal considering the economic climate and the future projections for Catholic education.

Ignatius going from 294 to 392 between '79 & '99 is a sizable increase. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at. While it wouldn't explain everything, I'd be curious to see the numbers from just before Kyle got hired to the present figure.

The viability of my little rantings will be determined in the late spring when we see the early projections for next year's freshman class. Football won't account for everything, but I'd still like to see the numbers.
Just for comparison sakes, my freshman class at Ignatius in the early 60's was 315. Also to refute any suggestion that high academic achievement at Ignatius was a recent development due to the Kyle-generated successful football program, during my four years Ignatius was either tied (with Shaker) with the most NMSFs in the state, or second to Shaker.
Old 12-15-10, 06:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Here's how the 9th grade enrollment numbers stack up for each school from 77-07. As for what we can take from the information: from 77-85 the increases and decreases in each school's enrollment went up and down in the same years. Then beginning in '86 we see a huge decrease at St. Edward. Maybe someone could explain this, as it would perhaps appear to be a conscious decision by Ed's to decrease enrollment. But all this was prior to Chuck Kyle's arrivement. Beginning in 94, amidst their dynasty, is when we start to see some of the largest classes ever at St. Ignatius.

Year St. Ignatius St. Edward
77: 355 422
78: 334 409
79: 294 390
80: 316 395
81: 331 439
82: 338 423
83: 334 404
84: 330 376
85: 312 351
86: 313 271
87: 328 211
88: 315 271
89: 339 229
90: 363 244
91: 333 276
92: 354 205
93: 331 219
94: 378 266
95: 363 237
96: 333 209
97: 360 244
98: 334 223
99: 392 258
00: 347 257
01: 358 233
02: 376 236
03: 369 260
04: 380 261
05: 374 241
06: 359 246
07: 378 236

Last edited by EaglePride01; 12-15-10 at 10:36 PM..
Old 12-15-10, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

Thanks for posting these numbers.

A couple of thoughts...the Ignatius enrollment history seems relatively simple. At least as far back as the early 60's until the early 90's, Ignatius enrolled around 310-340 freshmen (a few outlier years). I know they were enrolling those kind of numbers in the early 70's as well. The Ignatius enrollment was controlled to some degree by the physical plant. Then in the early 90's, the school decided to add about 40-50 spots due significantly to the Jesuits no longer occupying the whole one side of the main building (and the money that allowed them to renovate that space - about an additional dozen classrooms).

At St. Ed's...years of stability, hovering around 400 and then the bottom fell out. What happened? My guess is that at least one reason is a delayed reaction to Cleveland's forced busing. Those relatively stable neighborhoods from West 65th out to Lakewood no longer were (St. Colman, Mount Carmel, St. P & J, St. Rose, Ascension, etc.). Ed's was no longer centrally located to its users...the vast majority now lived west of the school.

When Ed's goes from 400 to 210 in about 5 years in the mid 80's, you have to ask yourselves where those kids went. A lot of 'em probably went to Brunswick, Avon, etc.
Old 12-15-10, 07:33 PM
Oderint dum metuant

I think all of this data indicates the long-term marathon necessary to be successful in the education business. Buildings get old. Sports teams come and go. Leadership, however, must be consistent in terms of goals, standards and worldview.

Getting Kubacki was an amazing coup. I foresee wonderful things from his tenure. But the next person to come along must have the same vision, excitement and resume to keep things going. From the input of others, I am gathering that St. Ed's suffered a bit from a rollercoaster of leadership over the last 30 years. That can't happen in this new environment.
Old 12-15-10, 08:22 PM
All Region

EAGLEOFEDS is on a distinguished road
Back to football...............please!

JJ Huddles 2010 All-Ohio

Several St. Edward players for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention.

http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/article...o-team-offense
Old 12-15-10, 08:52 PM
All District

MitchVigil is on a distinguished road
My Two Cents

I am one of the 423 boys who enrolled at St. eds in 1982, so perhaps I can shed some light.

When I graduated from St. Ignatius of Antioch Grade School (a parish located right between Ed's and Ignatius) in 1982, most of the 8th grade boys chose Ed's over Ignatius. Everyone chose private schools because the Cleveland schools were in disarray.

Tuition at Ed's was $1200, a bit lower than Ignatius a than Iggy. That was attractive to many of us working-class families. Ed's had a more successful football program at the time, but I don't think that mattered to most kids.

I believe a couple of factors helped Ignatius take over the West Side:

*The Ohio City neighborhood was viewed negatively in the early 1980s....however, the area began turning around in the mid/late 80s (Great Lakes Brewery, wine bars, etc), and is now viewed pretty positively. St. Ignatius has both contributed to and benefitted from this trend.

*Brother William Dygert, who took over as principal at Eds in 1982, made numerous unpopular decisions that alienated students. Word spread back to the grade schools that Ed's wasn't cool anymore...."Brother Dickhead" did serious damage. By the time he left, enrollment plummeted.

*St. Ed's made no serious captial improvements for many years. From the day I enrolled until many years after I graduated college, the place looked the same. The "science wing" was added sometime in the 60s or 70s....no more additions were made until the 2000s (chapel, student center, athletic wing).

I disagree with the notion that Kyle somehow made Iggy smarter. By that reasoning, the SEC would replace the Ivy League as America's top colleges. The struggles of schools like Regina and VASJ show that sports can't save a school. I tend to think that Ignatius, Ohio City and Wildcat football all blossomed in the 1980s, at a time when Ed's stood still.

Last edited by MitchVigil; 12-15-10 at 09:07 PM..
Old 12-15-10, 08:56 PM
U.S. American

sehs95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's now the 9th grade enrollment numbers stack up for each school from 77-07. As for what we can take from the information: from 77-85 the increases and decreases in each school's enrollment went up and down in the same years. Then beginning in '86 we see a huge decrease at St. Edward. Maybe someone could explain this, as it would perhaps appear to be a conscious decision by Ed's to decrease enrollment. But all this was prior to Chuck Kyle's arrivement. Beginning in 94, amidst their dynasty, is when we start to see some of the largest classes ever at St. Ignatius.
The Brother William Dygert era happened.
Old 12-15-10, 09:50 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Heck of a first post, MitchVigil. Please contribute more.
Old 12-15-10, 10:23 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchVigil View Post
I disagree with the notion that Kyle somehow made Iggy smarter. By that reasoning, the SEC would replace the Ivy League as America's top colleges. The struggles of schools like Regina and VASJ show that sports can't save a school. I tend to think that Ignatius, Ohio City and Wildcat football all blossomed in the 1980s, at a time when Ed's stood still.
I must admit, that's a great analogy and a very insightful comment.

Maybe it was Kyle's success that made them feel the need to tell me how much smarter they are than everyone else for the past 20 years.

I guess that's caused me to developed an attitude that facts don't always support. I think that makes me a zealot. But in 2010, I'm a very happy zealot!
Old 12-15-10, 10:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Heck of a first post, MitchVigil. Please contribute more.
Yes, nice to see a Wildcat recognizing that a St. Ed education leads to quality posting. Perhaps there's hope for graduates of W. 30th yet!
Old 12-15-10, 10:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehs95 View Post
The Brother William Dygert era happened.
Well he must have been bad, because that is a pretty devastating effect if in fact his administration was the sole cause of huge decreases in enrollment over a 4 or 5 year period. I still wonder if there was a concerted effort to decrease numbers to some extent. It would seem to me that 1400 students in that building would be awfully crowded.
Old 12-15-10, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Maybe it was Kyle's success that made them feel the need to tell me how much smarter they are than everyone else for the past 20 years.
There's definitely at least a kernel of truth in that comment.
Old 12-15-10, 11:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchVigil View Post
I am one of the 423 boys who enrolled at St. eds in 1982, so perhaps I can shed some light.

When I graduated from St. Ignatius of Antioch Grade School (a parish located right between Ed's and Ignatius) in 1982, most of the 8th grade boys chose Ed's over Ignatius. Everyone chose private schools because the Cleveland schools were in disarray.

Tuition at Ed's was $1200, a bit lower than Ignatius a than Iggy. That was attractive to many of us working-class families. Ed's had a more successful football program at the time, but I don't think that mattered to most kids.

I believe a couple of factors helped Ignatius take over the West Side:

*The Ohio City neighborhood was viewed negatively in the early 1980s....however, the area began turning around in the mid/late 80s (Great Lakes Brewery, wine bars, etc), and is now viewed pretty positively. St. Ignatius has both contributed to and benefitted from this trend.

*Brother William Dygert, who took over as principal at Eds in 1982, made numerous unpopular decisions that alienated students. Word spread back to the grade schools that Ed's wasn't cool anymore...."Brother Dickhead" did serious damage. By the time he left, enrollment plummeted.

*St. Ed's made no serious captial improvements for many years. From the day I enrolled until many years after I graduated college, the place looked the same. The "science wing" was added sometime in the 60s or 70s....no more additions were made until the 2000s (chapel, student center, athletic wing).

Mitch: I think you're in the ball-park and your comments are thoughtful, but I don't agree with some of it.

OhioCity is nicer, no doubt. It's sexy, but overall, still a bit dangerous. But, compared to Lakewood? Lakewood is safer and more middle class. Admittedly things are changing in Lakewood but only recently. I don't think the improvement of Ohio City has a whole lot to do with this, though I do think Ignatius' stability is a sine qua non for the improved status of Ohio City.

You've pointed out some of the failings of St. Ed's (leadership, capital improvements) but aren't really getting to the point of why things have gone well at Ignatius. It's pretty simple...the Jesuits. Not that they're so wonderful (though they are), but, by comparison to diocesan schools/priests and most of the other private orders, they are large and stable and have developed a reputation for excellence (whether deserved or not). And, as tuition skyrocketed, people became more interested in getting what they viewed as "the best" for their money.
Old 12-16-10, 01:03 PM
Varsity

Buck86 is on a distinguished road
The St. Edward Engineering and IB programs are certainly catching the attention of the primary school parents. Test takers and applications are up. The 1,000 student limit does not appear to be far off if the current environment continues.

State Championships also encourage folks to take a closer look and see what programs are offered. They won't close the deal if the academic outcomes aren't there, but it helps with causing families to take a look.
Old 12-16-10, 01:38 PM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Well he must have been bad, because that is a pretty devastating effect if in fact his administration was the sole cause of huge decreases in enrollment over a 4 or 5 year period. I still wonder if there was a concerted effort to decrease numbers to some extent. It would seem to me that 1400 students in that building would be awfully crowded.
Br. William chased off some very good teachers in the 80's and that sure did not help Eds rep with parents of grade schoolers. I think a couple of those teachers ended up at Ignatius. (Mr Cooney comes to mind)
Old 12-16-10, 01:40 PM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Here's how the 9th grade enrollment numbers stack up for each school from 77-07. As for what we can take from the information: from 77-85 the increases and decreases in each school's enrollment went up and down in the same years. Then beginning in '86 we see a huge decrease at St. Edward. Maybe someone could explain this, as it would perhaps appear to be a conscious decision by Ed's to decrease enrollment. But all this was prior to Chuck Kyle's arrivement. Beginning in 94, amidst their dynasty, is when we start to see some of the largest classes ever at St. Ignatius.

Year St. Ignatius St. Edward
77: 355 422
78: 334 409
79: 294 390
80: 316 395
81: 331 439
82: 338 423
83: 334 404
84: 330 376
85: 312 351
86: 313 271
87: 328 211
88: 315 271
89: 339 229
90: 363 244
91: 333 276
92: 354 205
93: 331 219
94: 378 266
95: 363 237
96: 333 209
97: 360 244
98: 334 223
99: 392 258
00: 347 257
01: 358 233
02: 376 236
03: 369 260
04: 380 261
05: 374 241
06: 359 246
07: 378 236
Are the retention rates similar between the two schools. My particular class in the 80's lost somewhere around 60-70 kids between Day 1 of 9th grade and graduation.
Old 12-16-10, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Br. William chased off some very good teachers in the 80's and that sure did not help Eds rep with parents of grade schoolers. I think a couple of those teachers ended up at Ignatius. (Mr Cooney comes to mind)
Mr. Cooney is an Ignatius alum, fwiw. In recent years, teachers moving from Ed's to Ignatius is not a rare occurrence. Usually, it's about salary OR a rif @ St. Ed's.
Old 12-16-10, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Are the retention rates similar between the two schools. My particular class in the 80's lost somewhere around 60-70 kids between Day 1 of 9th grade and graduation.
In the mid 70's, typical for Ignatius was 325 in, 250 out. These days, 380 in, 330 out. I think the huge increase in the cost of education has motivated both sides (family and school) to try and get the kid through (i.e., it takes more to get asked to leave).
Old 12-17-10, 01:18 AM
All Yappi

Edge86 is on a distinguished road
Eagles' Deonte Gibson leads Plain Dealer's football All-Stars defense
Tim Warsinskey, Plain Dealer Reporter

St. Edward's Deonte Gibson had 16 sacks and 24 tackles for losses in 10 regular-season games, and his sack in the final minute of the state championship game wrapped up a title for the Eagles.

(Allison Carey / The Plain Dealer)CLEVELAND, Ohio -- His college future secure, St. Edward senior defensive end Deonte Gibson just wanted to win, have fun and put up good numbers this fall.

Boy, did he ever.

Gibson is The Plain Dealer's Football Defensive Player of the Year after helping lead the Eagles to a 10-0 regular season and their first state football championship.

Gibson made an oral commitment to Pittsburgh in August, but said this week he may reconsider and will take visits to Cincinnati and Northwestern as well as Pittsburgh. His play this fall made it obvious he'll be a success no matter where he winds up.

Gibson had 16 sacks and 24 tackles for losses in 10 regular-season games. His season became a cycle of whether or not teams would run away from his side of the field or double-team him. That resulted in big plays by teammates, and eventually, the relentless Gibson made an impact of his own. The process was on display during the state final when he made a game-high 7.5 tackles, none bigger than his final-minute sack of quarterback Braxton Miller that helped thwart Huber Heights Wayne's last possession.

"My coaches told me all season to keep trying to play hard and running to the ball and everything will open up eventually," said Gibson, who has a 3.4 grade-point average.

Gibson's improvement from 2009 also was emblematic of the Eagles' ascension from a 4-6 season a year ago. The co-captain dedicated himself to getting stronger and faster. At 6-3, 225 pounds with a long reach and quick feet, he was a handful for offensive tackles and ends.

"Coming from a 4-6 team, I knew what it took to get over the hump," he said. "Last year, I wasn't that great of a worker and this year I dedicated myself to be in the weight room with my teammates and running, and that's how I got better."

ALL-STAR TEAM / DEFENSE

PLAYER OF THE YEAR

Deonte Gibson

St. Edward

Senior end

College: Pittsburgh.

Height, weight: 6-3, 225.

Notable: Gibson was a game-changer who spent almost as much time in the backfield as the quarterback, but he also played disciplined football by not overplaying and leaving gaps. He had 83 regular-season tackles with 24 tackles for loss, 16 sacks and 16 quarterback hurries. He caused three fumbles.

Greg Kuhar

St. Edward

Junior tackle

College: Undecided.

Height, weight: 6-3, 280.

Notable: A highly regarded, national champion wrestler, Kuhar emerged on the football field with 66 regular-season tackles, 20 tackles for loss and six sacks -- unusually high numbers behind the line of scrimmage for a Division I tackle. He also had eight quarterback hurries.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: