Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > St Xavier Bombers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-21-17, 11:00 PM
All World

ReLoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Week 10: Louisville StX

The Bombers (8-1) travel to Louisville this Friday for a 7:00pm kickoff vs. the Tigers of St. Xavier (8-1)

This game has no implications on Region 4 playoff seedings
After the debacle in Parma yesterday it will be important to get back on the winning track.

The Tigers are ranked 6th in KY.
Their lone loss was to #1 Trinity (9-0) 28-0 in Week 6.
Old 10-21-17, 11:02 PM
All World

This will be the 10th meeting between the 2 sister schools.

The Bombers lead the series 7-2
Both losses were in Louisville in 2011 and 2013

1971 X won 36-27 Week 2

2009 X won 24-7 Week 3 at Louisville St. X

2010 X won 32-13 Week 3 at Ballaban Field

2011 X lost 7-3 Week 10 at Louisville St. X

2012 X won 23-9 Week 10 at Ballaban Field

2013 X lost 24-16 Week 10 at Louisville St. X

2014 X won 24-6 Week 10 at Ballaban Field

2015 X won 20-10 Week 10 at Louisville St. X

2016 X won 28-3 Week 10 at Ballaban Field
Old 10-21-17, 11:05 PM
All World

The 8 Tiger victories in order: Cathedral 35-28, Bowling Green 30-19, Fairdale 56-14, Central 42-7, Pleasure Ridge Park 35-21, Dupont Manual 56-14, Male 27-0 and Butler 37-0
Old 10-21-17, 11:06 PM
All World

The Tigers are led by dual threat senior QB Jack Albers (6’1” 180lb)
His OLine averages 6’2” 280lb
His 3 senior wide receivers are tall: Will Crum (6’5”), Ben Mueller (6’4”) and Cam Garrett (6’2”)
Trenton Zoeller serves as the blocking FB for Dom Allgeier and Anthony Moretti.
Old 10-21-17, 11:07 PM
All World

Tiger Offense
LG 74 Wyatt Smock Sr. 6’4” 290lb
RG 72 Nick Canaday Sr. 5'11” 255lb
RT 69 Chase Ferris Sr. 6’5” 320lb
LT 75 Aaron Curley Sr. 6’1” 275lb
C 66 Clay Six Sr. 6’3” 275lb
QB 11 Jack Albers Sr. 6’1” 180lb
RB 12 Dom Allgeier Sr. 6’2” 200lb
FB 44 Trenton Zoeller Sr. 6’0” 200lb
WR 82 Will Crum Sr. 6’5” 180lb
WR 83 Ben Mueller Sr. 6’4” 190lb
WR 89 Cameron Garrett Sr 6’2” 195lb
Old 10-21-17, 11:11 PM
All World

Tiger Defense
DE 96 Andrew Uhls Sr. 6’4” 235lb
NG 99 Connor Schaefer Sr. 6’1” 215lb
DE 91 Ryan Dobson Sr. 6’4” 255lb
OLB 98 Evan Walker Sr. 6’5” 200lb
OLB 43 Camren Sams Jr. 5’9” 200lb
OLB 90 Nolan Bruner Sr. 6’3” 205lb
ILB 52 Pat Owen Jr. 6’2” 225lb
ILB 55 Will Sizer So. 6’1” 175lb
SS 17 Sam Boarman Jr. 6’2” 175lb
CB 5 Jake Netherton Sr. 5’9” 165lb
CB 21 Peyton Mattingly Sr. 5’9” 159lb
Old 10-21-17, 11:18 PM
All World

Defensively for the Bombers need to get LB Blake Bacevich (only played first series vs Iggy) and NG Jon Gretz (missed Iggy game) back on the field to be at their best.
Old 10-21-17, 11:23 PM
All World

Offensively Chase Wolf needs to get back on track as his line from the Iggy game tells the story: 19 for 43 for 203 yards 1TD/1INT.
Uncharacteristically he made several bad throws, poor reads and took 6 sacks.
His 1 INT and 6 sacks doubled his numbers on the year for both.
For some reason nearly 40% of his passes were intended for Shamsi.
Shamsi is a good receiver but usually he is targeted about 10% of the time.
Wolf threw to StX all time leading reception leader (season and career) Cam Specht just one time.
Old 10-21-17, 11:26 PM
All World

Without an effective passing game the running game will suffer.
Against Iggy the Bombers passed 43 times (203 yards) and rushed 24 times (32 yards). Fox had 9 carries, Newman 2 and Payne zero
Old 10-22-17, 05:23 AM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Not sure who had the rest of those carries (I assume it was Wolf-- most of them with his 6 sacks and the TD run), but except for one ~8-12 yard burst up the middle by Fox, the inside yardage was non-existent-- which is why they didn't run more (because the X line didn't have anybody blocked)...

Even the Ig commentators could see that X was more successful running outside-- if X wanted a more balanced offense, then there should have been more outside runs (even the Jet Sweep to Specht, a time or two, much as I dislike that play)-- they could have loosened Ig up a bit more, so that Ig wasn't coming downhill at Wolf virtually the entire second half, after Wolf fumbled in the first series of the second half. Ig's misdirection runs worked like a champ-- did not see any from X.
Old 10-22-17, 05:38 AM
All American

SuperD1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
Not sure who had the rest of those carries (I assume it was Wolf-- most of them with his 6 sacks and the TD run), but except for one ~8-12 yard burst up the middle by Fox, the inside yardage was non-existent-- which is why they didn't run more (because the X line didn't have anybody blocked)...

Even the Ig commentators could see that X was more successful running outside-- if X wanted a more balanced offense, then there should have been more outside runs (even the Jet Sweep to Specht, a time or two, much as I dislike that play)-- they could have loosened Ig up a bit more, so that Ig wasn't coming downhill at Wolf virtually the entire second half, after Wolf fumbled in the first series of the second half. Ig's misdirection runs worked like a champ-- did not see any from X.

I don’t think they had any intention of using a well balanced attack. They spent the game running between the tackles in to a loaded box and targeting the #4 - #5 receiver.
As for the defense I cannot imagine anyone here honestly believes that St I stacking TE’s and running counters off them was too much for the Bombers defense.
There was a game plan that was executed albeit sloppy. If St I’s was a championship caliber team, with the way X played they would have won by 35.
Old 10-22-17, 07:27 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
I don’t think they had any intention of using a well balanced attack. They spent the game running between the tackles in to a loaded box and targeting the #4 - #5 receiver.
As for the defense I cannot imagine anyone here honestly believes that St I stacking TE’s and running counters off them was too much for the Bombers defense.
There was a game plan that was executed albeit sloppy. If St I’s was a championship caliber team, with the way X played they would have won by 35.
Ed is better than Ig (IMO)-- just not convinced that X is better than either of 'em... especially when X hasn't been able to run the ball against ANYONE good this year (Elder, Ig, Colerain, Hinsdale, and Moeller-- though I hesitate to put them in the Good Team group)-- and I don't care what they did against Walnut, Canada, Cathedral... I don't think X's lack of a run game is confined to this Ig game...
Old 10-22-17, 08:04 AM
All American

Quote:
Ed is better than Ig (IMO)-- just not convinced that X is better than either of 'em... especially when X hasn't been able to run the ball against ANYONE good this year (Elder, Ig, Colerain, Hinsdale, and Moeller-- though I hesitate to put them in the Good Team group)-- and I don't care what they did against Walnut, Canada, Cathedral... I don't think X's lack of a run game is confined to this Ig game...
Ed’s is better than Ignatius. The problem for everyone in the state is that they’ll be just as good next year and the year after. And have been the most consistently good team in the state since 2010.

Everyone knew that the strength of the X offense was going to be it’s pasing attack. But consider how little they’ve really done with the offense. How little they’ve used Wolf’s athleticism in play action, designed QB Runs, jet sweeps, etc. If you can play your way to the #1 seed in the toughest region in the state without opening your play book then by all means.
X beat Moeller at Lockland 30-7
St Edward beat Moeller 31-7 in Lakewood. The two teams are comparable and we’ll likely see what’s what this December in Canton.
Old 10-22-17, 08:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
Ed’s is better than Ignatius. The problem for everyone in the state is that they’ll be just as good next year and the year after. And have been the most consistently good team in the state since 2010.

Everyone knew that the strength of the X offense was going to be it’s pasing attack. But consider how little they’ve really done with the offense. How little they’ve used Wolf’s athleticism in play action, designed QB Runs, jet sweeps, etc. If you can play your way to the #1 seed in the toughest region in the state without opening your play book then by all means.
X beat Moeller at Lockland 30-7
St Edward beat Moeller 31-7 in Lakewood. The two teams are comparable and we’ll likely see what’s what this December in Canton.
Don't disagree with a lot of what you've said. I will say that Wolf has been alarmingly unathletic in his running this year-- rarely (other than yesterday's TD "scamper") showing any elusiveness or escapability-- which surprises me, because he LOOKS like he should be a good athlete all around-- and I KNOW that his dad was-- cuz I watched him (Hell, practically his whole family), so I keep expecting it...

As for the Ed and X vs. Moe scores-- I see one difference--Ed was up 31-0 fairly early, and coasted with their scrubs in (which is who Moe scored on)-- whereas X was DOWN early 7-0, and then had to bounce back to take control before half-- and wasn't really able to do much in the second half to really "salt the game away", as they say-- although X was never really in an danger of losing that game... I just think Ed's performance (albeit in Cleveland, not Lockland-- there's two "lands" that don't often get compared) was just notably more dominant-- as was their performance vs. Elder (again, in Cleveland, not Finneytown)...
Old 10-22-17, 12:16 PM
All American

Quote:
As for the Ed and X vs. Moe scores-- I see one difference--Ed was up 31-0 fairly early, and coasted with their scrubs in (which is who Moe scored on)-- whereas X was DOWN early 7-0, and then had to bounce back to take control before half-- and wasn't really able to do much in the second half to really "salt the game away", as they say-- although X was never really in an danger of losing that game... I just think Ed's performance (albeit in Cleveland, not Lockland-- there's two "lands" that don't often get compared) was just notably more dominant-- as was their performance vs. Elder (again, in Cleveland, not Finneytown)...
Five hour bus trips to games matter. They make a difference. Either way the case for the two teams being comparable is made.
Old 10-22-17, 01:03 PM
Junior Varsity

bombers92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't disagree with a lot of what you've said. I will say that Wolf has been alarmingly unathletic in his running this year-- rarely (other than yesterday's TD "scamper") showing any elusiveness or escapability-- which surprises me, because he LOOKS like he should be a good athlete all around-- and I KNOW that his dad was-- cuz I watched him (Hell, practically his whole family), so I keep expecting it...

We were also facing Miles McBride in the first half of that moeller game as opposed to a wide receiver. We still led 23-7 at the half. No argument about Elder.
Old 10-22-17, 03:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers92 View Post
We were also facing Miles McBride in the first half of that moeller game as opposed to a wide receiver. We still led 23-7 at the half. No argument about Elder.
Great point about the QB.

Elder is a good football team. They got blown out in Cleveland. Two close losses in Cincy.
Old 10-23-17, 06:44 AM
All World

BlueBomber94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Klotz runs the offense, doesn't he? For years their offense has been a bit predictable. You kind of know when they're going to run and when they're going to pass. They also run plays that are sniffed out before they've completely unfolded. These little side passes get tackled behind the line of scrimmage often or get broken up.
Old 10-23-17, 08:40 AM
Junior Varsity

TSchwor is on a distinguished road
Wow, the game was lost, not the season. One of the best defenses in the state and one of the best in school history, great team chemistry, an outright GCL Championship, the best QB in the state and a great coaching staff. Good teams loose. To loose to a perennial top team in the state with a hall of fame coach (he has won 9 State Championships), is not the end of the world. A wake up call yes but to say our defense is this and the play calling was that and the QB is unathletic, is total stupidity. Get a grip and enjoy the ride. You may not see a group of kids like this for a couple of years.
Good luck in Louisville.
Old 10-23-17, 09:49 AM
All World

L Hand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
This will be the 10th meeting between the 2 sister schools.
Wouldn't they be brother schools? Regardless, hard to consider yourself immediate kin to a school that doesn't share the same father (Theodore James Ryken v. Ignatius of Loyola). Maybe half brothers? More likely first cousins once removed.
Old 10-23-17, 09:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchwor View Post
Wow, the game was lost, not the season. One of the best defenses in the state and one of the best in school history, great team chemistry, an outright GCL Championship, the best QB in the state and a great coaching staff. Good teams loose. To loose to a perennial top team in the state with a hall of fame coach (he has won 9 State Championships), is not the end of the world. A wake up call yes but to say our defense is this and the play calling was that and the QB is unathletic, is total stupidity. Get a grip and enjoy the ride. You may not see a group of kids like this for a couple of years.
Good luck in Louisville.
I will be there and always enjoy the trip.

The only thing X lost in Cleveland was a glittery national ranking which isn't worth anything anyhow. I will take that in exchange for a whack back down to earth for the team and the coaching staff. Also, as history tells us, it won't hurt for a potential rematch if it were to happen.

Finally, it is 'lose' and 'losing' not 'loose' and 'loosing'. I have no idea why everyone who posts on this board gets this wrong.
Old 10-23-17, 01:30 PM
All World

Wow LHand, you're wearing the full Barney Fife police gear today....got your badge on, billy club at your side, loaded pistol on the waist and a can of tear gas in your RHand
Old 10-23-17, 01:38 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
Wouldn't they be brother schools? Regardless, hard to consider yourself immediate kin to a school that doesn't share the same father (Theodore James Ryken v. Ignatius of Loyola). Maybe half brothers? More likely first cousins once removed.
Wouldn't it be Theodore James Ryken v. Francis Xavier? Ignatius of Loyola was a colleague and friend of Francis Xavier, however.
Old 10-23-17, 04:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber94 View Post
Wouldn't it be Theodore James Ryken v. Francis Xavier? Ignatius of Loyola was a colleague and friend of Francis Xavier, however.
You seem to know how to use the Internet. It’s not that tough. Or do you just like looking stupid all the time?
Old 10-23-17, 04:58 PM
All World

Quote:
Wow LHand, you're wearing the full Barney Fife police gear today....got your badge on, billy club at your side, loaded pistol on the waist and a can of tear gas in your RHand
I’m a little salty - every single team I cheer for lost including my sons soccer team twice! Some, including X, were fairly big favorites. Barely broke 80 on Sunday. All-in-all not a good weekend sports-wise.
Old 10-23-17, 10:20 PM
Freshman

jimmyref is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tiger Defense
DE 96 Andrew Uhls Sr. 6’4” 235lb
NG 99 Connor Schaefer Sr. 6’1” 215lb
DE 91 Shugart #92 Ryan Dobson (injured) Sr. 6’4” 255lb
OLB 98 Evan Walker Sr. 6’5” 200lb
ILB Doug Shaffner # 51 Camren Sams -43Jr. 5’9” 200lb
OLB 90 Nolan Bruner Sr. 6’3” 205lb
OLB Connor O Dea- 37# Shrodski 35
ILB 52 Pat Owen Jr. 6’2” 225lb Archer -58
FS 16 Jude Carlon 55 Will Sizer So. 6’1” 175lb
SS 17 Sam Boarman Jr. 6’2” 175lb -Pike #38
CB 5 Jake Netherton Sr. 5’9” 165lb 21 Peyton Mattingly Sr. 5’9” 159lb
CB 29-Harrison Pate

Also , Diemer 93 DL, Bascom 95, Andrews- Ogbogu - CB 8,

We do sub a lot so probably 20 on competitive game on each side of the ball. Last week we dressed 99 and 99 played in a 37-0 game.
Offense
X- Crum #82 -LT Curley #75 LG Smock #74 C-Six #66 RG -Canaday #72 RT- Farris #69 Y-Mueller #83 Z-Garrett #89 QB 11 Albers FB Varga #5 RB 12 Allgeier 42 Moeretti
Also
Harkins #10-X LT Noe #77 LG-Perram #70 C-Knabel #61 RG-Chambers #54 RT- Hart #76 Y-Seger #15 Z- Coleman #9

Our position in playoffs are set so this game is just for pride. if seeds hold out, 3 games in region, all at home, state semi finals vs Scott County potentially at home and then Trinity in finals in Lexington.
Old 10-24-17, 01:08 AM
All Region

"Last week we dressed 99 and 99 played in a 37-0 game."
-- I love that-- good for you, good for your coach (for understanding what HS sports is really supposed to be about--and what sportsmanship is about, when your opponent is outmatched), and good for your school...

One thing I don't get--how do TWO teams from Louisville meet in the finals-- do they seed it like a tennis tournament-- and try to put the highest seeded teams on opposite sides of the draw? Don't envy you getting another matchup with Trinity-- when's the last time you beat them?
Old 10-24-17, 11:59 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Hand View Post
You seem to know how to use the Internet. It’s not that tough. Or do you just like looking stupid all the time?
So enlighten me how St. Ignatius of Loyola is connected to St. Francis Xavier, I must be confused. Please don't lower yourself lower than you already have by using name calling. Seriously? What are you, 4?
Old 10-24-17, 01:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber94 View Post
So enlighten me how St. Ignatius of Loyola is connected to St. Francis Xavier, I must be confused. Please don't lower yourself lower than you already have by using name calling. Seriously? What are you, 4?
Once again, the Internet is your friend.

From Fairfield University's website:

"The Society of Jesus was founded in 1540 by St. Ignatius Loyola and since then has grown from the original seven to 24, 400 members today who work out of 1,825 houses in 112 countries. In the intervening 455 years many Jesuits became renowned for their sanctity (41 Saints and 285 Blesseds), for their scholarship in every conceivable field, for their explorations and discoveries, but especially for their schools. The Society is governed by General Congregations, the supreme legislative authority which meets occasionally. The present Superior General Fr. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, S.J. is Dutch. Ignatius Loyola was a Spanish Basque soldier who underwent an extraordinary conversion while recuperating from a leg broken by a cannon ball in battle. He wrote down his experiences which he called his Spiritual Exercises and later he founded the Society of Jesus with the approval of Pope Paul III in 1540."

From Wikipedia:

"The Society of Jesus (S.J. – from Latin: Societas Iesu) is a scholarly religious congregation of the Catholic Church which originated in sixteenth-century Spain. The members are called Jesuits.[2] The society is engaged in evangelization and apostolic ministry in 112 nations on six continents. Jesuits work in education (founding schools, colleges, universities, and seminaries), intellectual research, and cultural pursuits. Jesuits also give retreats, minister in hospitals and parishes, sponsor direct social ministries, and promote ecumenical dialogue.

Ignatius of Loyola, a Basque nobleman from the Pyrenees area of northern Spain, founded the society after discerning his spiritual vocation while recovering from a wound sustained in the Battle of Pamplona. He composed the Spiritual Exercises to help others follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. In 1534, Ignatius and six other young men, including Francis Xavier and Peter Faber, gathered and professed vows of poverty, chastity, and later obedience, including a special vow of obedience to the Pope in matters of mission direction and assignment. Ignatius's plan of the order's organization was approved by Pope Paul III in 1540 by a bull containing the "Formula of the Institute".

As noted above St Xavier in Louisville is run by the Xavierian brothers, not the Jesuits.

Also from Wikipedia:

"The Xaverian Brothers or Congregation of St. Francis Xavier (CFX) are a religious institute founded by Theodore James Ryken in Bruges, Belgium in 1839 and named after Saint Francis Xavier. The institute is dedicated to Roman Catholic education in Belgium, England and the United States."

While I have much fondness for the St. Xavier school in Louisville (my Dad is a grad), they are not direct kin, so to speak. I would consider all of the other Jesuit high schools in the US (there are about 50) to be siblings with a particular kinship (brotherhood) with the all-boys schools.
Old 10-24-17, 04:16 PM
All World

Some experimentation going on with the DLine
Who is wearing #79 at NG? Is that Gretz with a jersey change?
I know it's not Hoffman because he is on scout team OLine