Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-15, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

IUDOGS is on a distinguished road
Cool Stadium work to close roads

It's September 02, 2015.

Sunday Canton Repository:

Stadium work to Close Roads.

Vehicle and pedestrian traffic around McKinley High School will be affected by road closures for an extended period of time.

McKinley High School , Tome Benson Stadium, the Natatorium and the field house will not be accessible by way of Stadium Park. A barrier will be located just pass Stadium Gates One and Two. Students and pedestrians will not be able to walk to or from the hill leading to Stadium Park from the high school and the stadium. In addition, vehicles will not be able to drive up to the Hall of Fame Hill from Stadium Park to the high school.

The area between the Pro Football Hall of Fame and theStadium, Earl Schreiber Drive/21st Street, will be permanently closed. The area will be a heavy construction zone with no access to students and families either walking or driving.

This is IUDOGS signing off.
Old 09-02-15, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassillonMike View Post
I'll be in section 15. Anyone know how many sections McK gave us on the home side?

I was told sections 14, 15 and 16 (small section in corner). Also, Canton gave us the west end zone (sections 17-20).
Old 09-02-15, 12:31 PM
All Region

MassillonMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I was told sections 14, 15 and 16 (small section in corner). Also, Canton gave us the west end zone (sections 17-20).
Thanks dude. If the Pups aren't vastly improved by then I can't see there being a huge crowd from the Canton side of things.
Old 09-09-15, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
I thought the H. O. F. was going to have a live cam feed on Fawcett!

:>---
Old 09-09-15, 03:16 PM
All American

Calif_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Tom Benson is contributing 10 million dollars, which leaves Canton city & / or Stark County to come up with 70 million dollars to finish this project.

Questions I would have:

Does the HOF now contribute enough commerce from outside the City/County to warrant such an expenditure?

Will the new project when finished really contribute enough out of area commerce coming in (as opposed to Canton-Stark people spending money at the new HOF Village that they might have spent at restaurants, movie theatres etc anyway within the City-County?)

Shouldn't the NFL, rich beyond comprehension and the beneficiaries of vast amounts of public welfare (that would never occur if it was solely up to me) be footing the whole bill?

Canton and Stark are not exactly booming these days economically when compared to whenever you want to call the "Glory Days". Is there no better use for 70,000,000 dollars?

If the NFL yanked the HOF out of spite, it would be a blow to the City's pride for sure. Would it be a major blow to the City/County financially as things stand now? And might it not open up a much bigger public affairs disaster that the NFL might not be willing to endure? (IOW is it an empty threat to threaten moving the HOF to Chicago or wherever else might be a semi logical place to put it in the absence of using Canton as the site?)

When one thinks that Fawcett Stadium was originally (if my memory of the facts is accurate - please correct me if wrong) a WPA project that gave the City a free stadium AND provided work for many men that might not have otherwise had it during the Depression, we have come a long way. Full Circle. Now we have an economically hurting area providing the bulk of the funding for perhaps the most exclusive billionaires club that there has ever been.

I just think its insane myself at a surface glance and surely do hope this winds up paying off for the City of Canton/ Stark County in the long run. I have my doubts it will.
Old 09-09-15, 05:13 PM
All World

Spize is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
Tom Benson is contributing 10 million dollars, which leaves Canton city & / or Stark County to come up with 70 million dollars to finish this project.

Questions I would have:

Does the HOF now contribute enough commerce from outside the City/County to warrant such an expenditure?

Will the new project when finished really contribute enough out of area commerce coming in (as opposed to Canton-Stark people spending money at the new HOF Village that they might have spent at restaurants, movie theatres etc anyway within the City-County?)

Shouldn't the NFL, rich beyond comprehension and the beneficiaries of vast amounts of public welfare (that would never occur if it was solely up to me) be footing the whole bill?

Canton and Stark are not exactly booming these days economically when compared to whenever you want to call the "Glory Days". Is there no better use for 70,000,000 dollars?

If the NFL yanked the HOF out of spite, it would be a blow to the City's pride for sure. Would it be a major blow to the City/County financially as things stand now? And might it not open up a much bigger public affairs disaster that the NFL might not be willing to endure? (IOW is it an empty threat to threaten moving the HOF to Chicago or wherever else might be a semi logical place to put it in the absence of using Canton as the site?)

When one thinks that Fawcett Stadium was originally (if my memory of the facts is accurate - please correct me if wrong) a WPA project that gave the City a free stadium AND provided work for many men that might not have otherwise had it during the Depression, we have come a long way. Full Circle. Now we have an economically hurting area providing the bulk of the funding for perhaps the most exclusive billionaires club that there has ever been.

I just think its insane myself at a surface glance and surely do hope this winds up paying off for the City of Canton/ Stark County in the long run. I have my doubts it will.
As a county resident not in canton, I really don't like that the bulk of the project cost(including the village) is inevitably going to be dropped on the whole county.

The only thing more sacred to the NFL than "the shield" is coming up with grand ideas and stiffing the taxpayer with the bill.
Old 09-09-15, 05:24 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
They've mentioned before that they have no shortage of interested parties. I'd be surprised if the city or county is asked for more than a few million.
Old 09-09-15, 05:51 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL. This guy just keeps getting smacked in the face with the inevitability of this and keeps coming back for more. Gotta love your tenacity bro.
Old 09-09-15, 06:00 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
On a side note they are tearing down the North stands starting tomorrow, it won't take long with the equipment there using.

Egret I will save you a chunk of concrete.
Old 09-09-15, 06:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
LOL. This guy just keeps getting smacked in the face with the inevitability of this and keeps coming back for more. Gotta love your tenacity bro.
Spoken like a real loser.
Old 09-09-15, 06:18 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
Spoken like a real loser.
Uh OK. I guess.
Old 09-09-15, 06:26 PM
All Yappi

Oil Filter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
They've mentioned before that they have no shortage of interested parties.
Funnily enough, none of these "interested parties" have identified themselves or committed funds. Who are they?

One might guess that their interest depends on the amount of investment they're asked to make and how much return they expect to receive. For example, neither the NFL nor the HOF has announced that they're contributing anything. Tom Benson is. Ohio is. Neither is scheduled to receive any return on their gift. CCSD will get less than $300K per year as a lease payment -- and not until 2021. CCSD is also giving up all concession and parking revenue. It's not clear that either the city or the county is in line to receive any direct revenue from this.

All of this means that the current situation is that the HOF has committed nothing to the project but is currently slated to receive all revenue save the insignificant lease payment to CCSD.

Quote:
I'd be surprised if the city or county is asked for more than a few million.
I'd be surprised if the county is "asked" at all. Did you not understand that the Port Authority can give them millions on their own approval?
Old 09-09-15, 06:41 PM
All Yappi

I'm sorry for whatever failures happened in your life that made you this pessimistic. There are a number of reasons why a list of investors and their contributions hasn't been made public, but you simply assume it's because no one is interested.
Old 09-09-15, 06:45 PM
All World

Quote:
I'm sorry for whatever failures happened in your life to make you this pessimistic.
Well I am sorry that you can't open your eyes after living in a cave your entire life. So where is the money coming from? Did you know CCS is footing the bill for the Demo?
Old 09-09-15, 06:45 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
He's like Cool Hand Luke fighting Dragline in the DF. The old guys cuff him around pretty good. You should stop by and throw a slap on him yourself some time.
Old 09-09-15, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Well I am sorry that you can't open your eyes after living in a cave your entire life. So where is the money coming from?
There is a difference between being smart and simply being a downer and a pessimist.

Investors, the state, Canton, etc.
Old 09-09-15, 06:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh OK. I guess.
In his mind, he just won.

That's why he keeps coming back, I guess
Old 09-09-15, 06:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
He's like Cool Hand Luke fighting Dragline in the DF. The old guys cuff him around pretty good. You should stop by and throw a slap on him yourself some time.
Funny. You guys are almost always completely wrong. Slapping each other on the back in agreement doesn't mean your position is correct. I continue to be correct, you lot continue to be wrong. We'll be playing this game for awhile.
Old 09-09-15, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
In his mind, he just won.

That's why he keeps coming back, I guess
It's going to be funny watching all of these "I'm pessimistic because I'm smart" folks try and spin this into the negative when it inevitably is a big success.
Old 09-09-15, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It's going to be funny watching all of these "I'm pessimistic because I'm smart" folks try and spin this into the negative when it inevitably is a big success.
You don't get it. They are just spewing crap because their old rival is getting something that they don't have, which also may stop a few OE transfers from Canton and inspire a few McK rental move-ins for football. They know it'll be great. That is why they are mad.
Old 09-09-15, 06:54 PM
All World

Quote:
You must have missed it so.

Why is the CCS paying for the Demo of the stadium?
Old 09-09-15, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You don't get it. They are just spewing crap because their old rival is getting something that they don't have, which also may stop a few OE transfers from Canton and inspire a few McK rental move-ins for football.
Bingo!

It's a Massillon thing.
Old 09-09-15, 06:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You don't get it. They are just spewing crap because their old rival is getting something that they don't have, which also may stop a few OE transfers from Canton and inspire a few McK rental move-ins for football.
Oh, I get it. I grew up in Massillon. The collective mindset of that place is somewhere between vicarious rekindling of high school glory days fueled by a mass hidden despair over having peaked at 17 and extreme bitterness and jealousy of anyone with a college education and a job that pays more than 25k a year.
Old 09-09-15, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You must have missed it so.

Why is the CCS paying for the Demo of the stadium?
Perhaps that's part of an agreement. Do you know?
Old 09-09-15, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

Oil Filter is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Did you know CCS is footing the bill for the Demo?
Which raises an interesting question: how long until CCSD -- the nominal owner of the stadium -- sees any positive revenue flow? We already know that they won't receive lease payments until 2021. We know that they aren't getting parking or concession revenue. We know that they are writing a fat check to Bob the Builder to blow the place up. We know that the only source of revenue in the foreseeable future is the money from tickets (presumably limited to that from McKinley home games). Will that ticket money be sufficient to pay off the demo costs and provide any meaningful support the athletic programs? We know the answer to that, too.
Old 09-09-15, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Oh, I get it. I grew up in Massillon. The collective mindset of that place is somewhere between vicarious rekindling of high school glory days fueled by a mass hidden despair over having peaked at 17 and extreme bitterness and jealousy of anyone with a college education and a job that pays more than 25k a year.
I guess so.

My bad. i'll leave you to it.
Old 09-09-15, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its not inevitable at all. And having doubts about this project isn't pessimism, it's pragmatism. I know you are young but even in your life experience I know you've seen grand plans that either never came to fruition or weren't nearly the home run they were promised to be. This has been sold as an ATM that will shower Canton in cash...that very much remains to be seen.
Old 09-09-15, 07:50 PM
Cooling Off

chiefy jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Bingo!

It's a Massillon thing.
This from a Jacksin Dodger fan.
Old 09-09-15, 07:54 PM
Cooling Off

chiefy jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Said the guy with 27,000 posts on a HS message board. Lol. Don't bump your head climbing moms basement steps.
Old 09-09-15, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefy jones View Post
Said the guy with 27,000 posts on a HS message board. Lol. Don't bump your head climbing moms basement steps.
The natives have been stirred now. Here come the childish insults!
Closed Thread