Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-29-18, 09:34 AM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
So Trump has one appointee so far and one pending with kennedys replacement
How many more does he have? One. Possibly two? Who last had 3 appointees? 4?
Old 06-29-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Schumer looking pretty dumb today for filibustering Gorsuch...as predicted.
Old 06-29-18, 11:18 AM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
It was a bad hill to die on. No medals, no glory.
Old 06-29-18, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

dado6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
Chucky was vainly clinging to the narrative that Trump was not a legitimate POTUS, or would be impeached.

Never mind that Pence is far more conservative than Trump, and would probably have nominated a staunchly anti-abortion candidate for the Court
Old 06-29-18, 11:38 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFF View Post
So Trump has one appointee so far and one pending with kennedys replacement
How many more does he have? One. Possibly two? Who last had 3 appointees? 4?
Ginsburg is 85 and Breyer is 80. I don't think either will retire, but that is pure speculation.

Hoover, Wilson, T. Roosevelt - 3
Reagan, Nixon, Truman, Harding, B. Harrison, Grant - 4
Eisenhower, Lincoln - 5
Taft, Jackson - 6 (And then Taft was Chief Justice for 8 1/2 years)
FDR - 9
Washington - 10
Old 06-29-18, 06:57 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
It was a bad hill to die on. No medals, no glory.
He's now their designated d-bag. He'll have that seat as long as he wants it, so why not be the heavy, I guess.
Old 07-01-18, 01:16 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Definitely not far fetched. 4 justices currently support overturning Roe v Wade, Kennedy did not and was the key vote preventing its repeal. If Kennedy is replaced with someone who also would vote to overturn it, all that's left is getting the appeal in front of the supreme court(would be relatively easy) and it's game over.

The Dems best route to block a nominee would be to emphasize this fact, and hope Collins & Murkowski(both pro choice) break party lines.
As predicted, Collins says she won't vote for someone "hostile" to Roe v Wade. And Trump's entire current list of candidates fit that bill.

If she holds to this, they don't have the votes. So the 3 options would be
1.) Try and flip one Dem
2.) Nominate a conservative justice who has said they wouldn't overturn Roe v Wade
3.) Wait until the middterms and bank on picking up additional seats
Old 07-01-18, 01:39 PM
All World

I haven't followed McCain's health situation. Is he unable to vote?

I believe three Democrats voted for Gorsuch, they may again.
Old 07-01-18, 03:01 PM
All American

Happygoluckky is on a distinguished road
Something fishy about the timing of Kennedy's resignation. Going back 9 years...that failing businessman is now president. Investigators are looking into that bank’s ties to dirty Russian money. The Supreme Court Justice suddenly resigns suddenly. His son loaned billions to trump when no one else would at a time when capital was very very tight. DB already introuble for Russian money laundering...did the judges son gets some guarantee....did trump lobby Kennedy to step down knowing his case could go to SCOTUS. Roe v Wade is just convenient cover for trump who we know is not not pro-life.
Old 07-01-18, 03:08 PM
All World

HTFF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygoluckky View Post
Something fishy about the timing of Kennedy's resignation. Going back 9 years...that failing businessman is now president. Investigators are looking into that bank’s ties to dirty Russian money. The Supreme Court Justice suddenly resigns suddenly. His son loaned billions to trump when no one else would at a time when capital was very very tight. DB already introuble for Russian money laundering...did the judges son gets some guarantee....did trump lobby Kennedy to step down knowing his case could go to SCOTUS. Roe v Wade is just convenient cover for trump who we know is not not pro-life.
Ya or maybe he is 81 and has served over 30 years
That's the simple fact. Spin it how you want
Old 07-01-18, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
So to be clear, are you saying that Kennedy is now colluding with Russia to stack the SCOTUS?

I wouldn't worry because I'm sure Mueller and his merry gang of inquisitors will be all over this.
Old 07-01-18, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygoluckky View Post
something fishy about the timing of kennedy's resignation. Going back 9 years...that failing businessman is now president. Investigators are looking into that bank’s ties to dirty russian money. The supreme court justice suddenly resigns suddenly. His son loaned billions to trump when no one else would at a time when capital was very very tight. Db already introuble for russian money laundering...did the judges son gets some guarantee....did trump lobby kennedy to step down knowing his case could go to scotus. Roe v wade is just convenient cover for trump who we know is not not pro-life.
smh.
Old 07-01-18, 03:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
As predicted, Collins says she won't vote for someone "hostile" to Roe v Wade. And Trump's entire current list of candidates fit that bill.

1.) Try and flip one Dem
2.) Nominate a conservative justice who has said they wouldn't overturn Roe v Wade
I would be fine with you 2nd option as Roe vs Wade is akin to the horse having got out of the barn and overturning it is like closing the barn door after the fact.

IMO the best approach here would be to nibble around the edges:

* Don't overturn Roe as that would lead to serious societal strife. Instead nibble around the edges: support legislation outlawing late term & partial birth abortions.

* Rely on the culture viewing abortion much like it views smoking - legal but we don't approve.
Old 07-01-18, 03:41 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I would be fine with you 2nd option as Roe vs Wade is akin to the horse having got out of the barn and overturning it is like closing the barn door after the fact.

IMO the best approach here would be to nibble around the edges:

* Don't overturn Roe as that would lead to serious societal strife. Instead nibble around the edges: support legislation outlawing late term & partial birth abortions.

* Rely on the culture viewing abortion much like it views smoking - legal but we don't approve.
Completely agree. Just not sure they'll go that direction as Trump was pretty intent on overturning Roe v Wade being a prerequisite for his nominee. His entire current list holds that viewpoint. But there are plenty of qualified conservative judges who don't feel that way. I'd prefer to pick one of them and make sure a conservative justice is seated rather than take any risks. You never know what could happen in the midterm.

The easiest route would of course be flipping a Dem. But that feels unlikely at this point.
Old 07-01-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Actually no. Three dem senators are in deep trouble this year in their re-election bids, all running in states Trump carried easily, WVa., Ind., and N.D. (might be S.D.--I can never keep those two straight). Voting against Trump's nominee might seal their fate. Additionally, I belive that all three Dems voted for Gorsuch (could be wrong about that).

Last edited by arizonawildcat; 07-01-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-01-18, 04:59 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mr. Happy Go Lucky, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 07-01-18, 05:25 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1.) Try and flip one Dem
An odd thing for her to say since we elect SCOTUS judges to uphold the Constitution and interpret laws in that context only.

The Constitution is not liberal or conservative and I always find it odd to describe judges as left or right leaning. Whether you are a liberal or conservative on the court, your job is to interpret laws based on their adherence to the Constitution or lack thereof, not to promote an ideology. Her quote exactly explains why the justice system is an absolute mess.
Old 07-01-18, 07:01 PM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
We keep hearing about the one or two R's that are not pro-life, are there no D's that are pro-life? Would seem like the odds would say there might be the one two or three. I do realize that the D's seem to vote party lines no matter what they feel or believe and this is something R's do not seem to do.
Old 07-01-18, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Actually no. Three dem senators are in deep trouble this year in their re-election bids, all running in states Trump carried easily, WVa., Ind., and N.D. (might be S.D.--I can never keep those two straight). Voting against Trump's nominee might seal their fate. Additionally, I belive that all three Dems voted for Gorsuch (could be wrong about that).
This could be part of a strategery. In fact it makes sense as I agree with you that a "no" vote by any of these senators to an anti-abortion judge could be the difference in the midterm election.
Old 07-01-18, 08:44 PM
All World

Quote:
I figured out why he is happy go lucky. It's because ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-01-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:

1.) Try and flip one Dem
I think they have a shot at flipping 5-6 Dems, the ones on the hot seat can't afford to give their challengers an opening in those races where it's close and Trump won in 2016. I think this is a wedge issue that they can't ignore. If the SCOTUS nomination becomes an election issue the Republicans have a shot to pick up anywhere from 3-7 Senate seats.
Old 07-02-18, 07:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
An odd thing for her to say since we elect SCOTUS judges to uphold the Constitution and interpret laws in that context only.

The Constitution is not liberal or conservative and I always find it odd to describe judges as left or right leaning. Whether you are a liberal or conservative on the court, your job is to interpret laws based on their adherence to the Constitution or lack thereof, not to promote an ideology. Her quote exactly explains why the justice system is an absolute mess.
This ignores human nature. Interpretation is subject to your personal bias which is where a conservative or liberal judges leanings come into play.
Old 07-02-18, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
I think they have a shot at flipping 5-6 Dems, the ones on the hot seat can't afford to give their challengers an opening in those races where it's close and Trump won in 2016. I think this is a wedge issue that they can't ignore. If the SCOTUS nomination becomes an election issue the Republicans have a shot to pick up anywhere from 3-7 Senate seats.
Can you imagine if they somehow obstruct this vote hoping to gain control in November and it energizes conservatives to get out and vote leading to a bigger Republican majority
Old 07-02-18, 08:02 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I think they are already energizing the conservative base with things like promoting open borders and doing away with ICE As we come into the election time of year I can't wait to hear what other wonderful ideas the D's have come up with. Can you imagine having to get drinks without ice in them? I do not know what the D's are thinging.
Old 07-02-18, 08:15 AM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
This ignores human nature. Interpretation is subject to your personal bias which is where a conservative or liberal judges leanings come into play.
Not to the degree that they lean. If any case challenging Roe v Wade made it to the court, at least 3 of the judges would have their minds made up before even hearing the case because politics.
Old 07-07-18, 03:34 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I have to admit Amy Coney Barrett is kinda hot:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...31081997110251
Old 07-07-18, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Something fishy about the timing of Kennedy's resignation.
Probably just a Come-to-Jesus moment on several levels.

Quote:
Going back 9 years...that failing businessman is now president. Investigators are looking into that bank’s ties to dirty Russian money. The Supreme Court Justice suddenly resigns suddenly. His son loaned billions to trump when no one else would at a time when capital was very very tight. DB already introuble for Russian money laundering...did the judges son gets some guarantee....did trump lobby Kennedy to step down knowing his case could go to SCOTUS. Roe v Wade is just convenient cover for trump who we know is not not pro-life.
And YOU mock g-rocks?!?
Old 07-07-18, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
I figured out why he is happy go lucky. It's because ignorance is bliss.
While he obviously is ignorant, I'm not buying "happy". Trump is owning his people and he's deeply obsessed with it
Old 07-07-18, 06:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...31081997110251
7 kids

Yes, that's right - a SCOTUS-appointment-worthy career and 7 kids.
Old 07-07-18, 08:19 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post

[url]
Especially when compared to the Dem appointees. IMO, the most important thing is how relatively young she is. She'll easily be on the court for another 30 years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: