Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-17, 12:03 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Point me to this provision.

http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/4923509.pdf
When I have time.....
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-17, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
So is Syndergaard and Snydergaard....
I bet the Reds could get a Noah Snydergaard for Suarez, but not a Syndergaard.
Old 07-18-17, 12:25 PM
All American

Quote:
as no team would have paid Phillips much more than the league minimum. Indiandad is a moron.
Except the Braves were willing to pay him $1M this year and give up a "prospect".

Or is that the new league minimum?
Old 07-18-17, 12:28 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I'm tired of explaining Homer's situation to you guys who simply don't understand the big picture.
Everyone understands it. Its painful that that you feel the need to keep typing the obvious. Let me summarize what everyone here knows, so you don't need to keep typing the obvious:

- The Reds pay Homer Bailey better than all but 17 other Starting Pitchers in the MLB.
- Homer Bailey is coming back from injury and won't be sharp, but he needs to keep getting starts so he can work back into form, and gain back confidence.
- Because of his ridiculous contract, the Reds are stuck with him. We all want him to be healthy and better.

So stop saying it over and over. Now here is a few things you don't seem to know:
1) Because of his ridiculous contract, the Reds (and us fans) need him to be better than he is now, better than he was ever was pre-injury, and become a top 20 MLB starter, so the Reds can get their money's worth the last few years of the contract.
2) #1 won't happen. He has no movement on his fastball, and 96 mph means nothing these days.
Old 07-18-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Except the Braves were willing to pay him $1M this year and give up a "prospect".

Or is that the new league minimum?
He wasn't waived, he was traded.
Old 07-18-17, 12:49 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
So is Syndergaard and Snydergaard....
No. Transposing the "n" and "y" is entirely different than talking about Luis Robert and calling him Robert Louis.
Old 07-18-17, 12:50 PM
All World

Quote:
I can't.....
We know.
Old 07-18-17, 12:50 PM
All American

Quote:
He wasn't waived, he was traded.
No kidding...

The Braves were/are willing to pay him $1M this year which is above the league minimum.

The Braves wanted him enough to trade for him albeit the "prospect" likely will never see the inside of GABP without a ticket. Nonetheless there was some demand for skills.

BP made it very clear he thought he could still play. Why not bet on his ego thinking he could get more over the next 3-4 years?
Old 07-18-17, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

Just for everyone's knowledge on how guaranteed contracts work with the waiver system and just so no one walks away believing an idiot like indiandad:

Quote:
Waivers for the purpose of granting a player his unconditional release[

When a team wishes to release a player, it must first place his name on the waiver list. This allows any other major league team to claim the player's existing contract. The claim prevents the player from bargaining as a free agent for more money or refusing to sign with an unattractive team. It also saves the waiving team from paying any guaranteed money as that is the responsibility of the claiming team. These waivers are irrevocable. Players on these waivers do immediately clear space for another player on both their team's 25-man and 40-man rosters. Every other team for a prescribed period can claim this player's contract for $1 and add him to their 25-man and 40-man rosters.

If no claim is made, the player becomes a free agent. Any guaranteed portion of the player's contract is still paid on each payday by the waiving team. As a free agent, the player can sign with any team. If two or more teams are interested in the player, the player can choose which team to sign with. Given each team refused to buy the player's contract for the waiver price, it never happens that either of the two teams offer a higher salary than the old contract. But since the waiving team is still on the hook for the guaranteed contract, that means the player gets paid the same amount no matter which team he signs with. So the new team will always pay him the mandated minimum salary and that amount is offset from the old team's fiscal responsibility. As a result, only players making the minimum or close to it are usually claimed in this manner, as others will be available as cheap free agents in a matter of days.

For example, Boston's Yaz passes through unconditional release waivers. The Red Sox had a guaranteed $800,000 left for the season and $1 million for the following season on Yaz's contract. Both the Yankees and the Rays are interested in Yaz (but not for what his contract called for). Yaz will get paid $1.8 million over the next year and a half. Let's say that the major league minimum salary for the rest of this season is $150,000 and for all of next year is $400,000. If Yaz signs with the Yankees, the Yankees will pay him $550,000 and the Red Sox $1.25 million through the end of next season. If Yaz signs with the Rays, the Rays will pay him $550,000 and the Red Sox $1.25 million through the end of next season. The Rays can't tempt Yaz by offering him $950,000. Because Yaz will still get paid $1.8 million over the next year and a half--the Rays will pay him $950,000 and the Red Sox $850,000.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Waivers
Old 07-18-17, 01:09 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think Phillips would have taken a deal. The Braves would not have traded for him if the Reds didn't agree to pay most of the contract.

That's the leverage a 5/10 guy has, which is fine.
Old 07-18-17, 01:09 PM
All World

Now let's move onto what's going on now. Phillips has been gone for months...and actually having a pretty decent year. The Braves only a few games under .500.
Old 07-18-17, 01:13 PM
All Yappi

I wonder if indiandad will admit he was wrong. Probably not. It seems to be the way of the huddle guys, say dumb sh!t, get called out, ignore the error, repeat.
Old 07-18-17, 01:15 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Now let's move onto what's going on now. Phillips has been gone for months...and actually having a pretty decent year. The Braves only a few games under .500.
The concept of a rebuild has gone completely over your head. Phillips could be batting 1.000 and the Braves in first place and it is still a bad deal for the Reds to be paying an aging second baseman.
Old 07-18-17, 02:02 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
The concept of a rebuild has gone completely over your head. Phillips could be batting 1.000 and the Braves in first place and it is still a bad deal for the Reds to be paying an aging second baseman.
Gh0st, I understand the rebuild. It's happening right now, with or without Phillips. My point was that weather Phillips was here or not the rebuild is happening. You don't just get rid of all exiting players and bring up your triple A and Double A players. Votto/ Hamilton/ Mesoraco / Cozart all still here. The rebuild takes some time.

And the rebuild, in my opinion, does not mean you get rid of everyone. This team will still need veterans. Votto will be one for sure.
Old 07-18-17, 02:22 PM
All World

Votto is an exception due to his contract. Hamilton is only 26 years old. No one is taking Mesoraco and his combined 79 games in 3 years. The Reds are on the hook for another $13 million next year so he isn't being cut. Otherwise he would be gone. And dear God please do not mention "We're paying $13 million for Phillips to not be here" because it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Cozart is gone soon enough.

You really do not understand how a rebuild works.
Old 07-18-17, 02:32 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Feldman on the 10-day DL with knee inflammation.
Old 07-18-17, 03:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Gh0st, I understand the rebuild. It's happening right now, with or without Phillips. My point was that weather Phillips was here or not the rebuild is happening. You don't just get rid of all exiting players and bring up your triple A and Double A players. Votto/ Hamilton/ Mesoraco / Cozart all still here. The rebuild takes some time.

And the rebuild, in my opinion, does not mean you get rid of everyone. This team will still need veterans. Votto will be one for sure.
I rest my case.

If Phillips is playing 2B right now in Cincinnati, the rebuild is not happening. In a rebuild you trade or at the very least do not resign veterans to allow the younger guys you were hopefully grooming to replace them major league experience. The ones that have trade value, you use to reload your farm system. You also free up money so that you can potentially re-sign the younger players that turn out to be successful a the major league level.
Old 07-18-17, 03:29 PM
All World

Quote:
I rest my case.

If Phillips is playing 2B right now in Cincinnati, the rebuild is not happening. In a rebuild you trade or at the very least do not resign veterans to allow the younger guys you were hopefully grooming to replace them major league experience. The ones that have trade value, you use to reload your farm system. You also free up money so that you can potentially re-sign the younger players that turn out to be successful a the major league level.
Sure it does, the rebuild includes the 13 starting pitchers we've used this season. Schebler in right, Suarez at 3rd, Peraza in the lineup...it's happening right now...
Old 07-18-17, 03:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Sure it does, the rebuild includes the 13 starting pitchers we've used this season. Schebler in right, Suarez at 3rd, Peraza in the lineup...it's happening right now...
No one said the rebuild wasn't happening. I said resigning Phillips means it wouldn't have been happening. We said you don't understand how they work because you thought keeping Phillips was a good idea.

The 13 pitchers have been used because none of them can stay healthy. It has nothing to do with rebuilding.
Old 07-18-17, 06:50 PM
All American

Quote:
I wonder if indiandad will admit he was wrong. Probably not. It seems to be the way of the huddle guys, say dumb sh!t, get called out, ignore the error, repeat.
I believe I said it was article XIX.

Why didn't you just Google MLB article XIX?

Read it or maybe get Taco to read it to you.

It deals with 5/10 players and cutting them. Amazing how you looked for everything but that and then tried to pass something irrelevant to Phillips situation off on others.
Old 07-18-17, 09:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I believe I said it was article XIX.

Why didn't you just Google MLB article XIX?

Read it or maybe get Taco to read it to you.

It deals with 5/10 players and cutting them. Amazing how you looked for everything but that and then tried to pass something irrelevant to Phillips situation off on others.
Only 5/10 guys get their guaranteed contract voided? Just admit you made a stupid comment. Christ.
Old 07-19-17, 05:58 AM
All World

I'm thoroughly impressed with the utter stupidity displayed between 14Red and IndianDad. Highly entertaining
Old 07-19-17, 06:51 AM
All World

Quote:
No one said the rebuild wasn't happening. I said resigning Phillips means it wouldn't have been happening. We said you don't understand how they work because you thought keeping Phillips was a good idea.

The 13 pitchers have been used because none of them can stay healthy. It has nothing to do with rebuilding.
Phillips would have been here for '17 and '17 only. That's not stopping a rebuild. The club could have gone out and got 4 other Scott Feldman's to fill out the rotation, they are choosing to start games the last few seasons with mostly rookies...if that's not a rebuild, I don't know what is.
Old 07-19-17, 06:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
I'm thoroughly impressed with the utter stupidity displayed between 14Red and IndianDad. Highly entertaining
I'm thoroughly un-impressed with you Taco...how about offering some original thoughts and not just clowning on other people's postings??
Old 07-19-17, 06:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Phillips would have been here for '17 and '17 only. That's not stopping a rebuild. The club could have gone out and got 4 other Scott Feldman's to fill out the rotation, they are choosing to start games the last few seasons with mostly rookies...if that's not a rebuild, I don't know what is.
It was smart of the Reds to trade Phillips to save a little money. It wasn't worth keeping him another year as the Reds are able to play young guys like Peraza and Gennett more. Time to unload Cozart too. Should have been done way earlier.
Old 07-19-17, 06:59 AM
All World

enough on the past, I'm only posting thoughts and ideas moving forward, not responding to silly posts by many on here.

As part of a rebuild, you're going to have moments/ games/ stretches of games when things go sideways. We're in that right now. Going into the 5th inning, Romano was hanging in there, then the wheels came off. These are good major league hitters, better than many of these young guys have ever seen. Romano, like many of our young pitchers, struggle with keeping their pitch count down. Ended up with 93 pitches in only 4 innings.

I hope he gets to continue to make starts so we can see what he has over several starts.
Old 07-19-17, 07:14 AM
All World

Quote:
I'm thoroughly un-impressed with you Taco...how about offering some original thoughts and not just clowning on other people's postings??
You know just because you keep repeating yourself doesn't make it true, right? On this page alone:

Quote:
Votto is an exception due to his contract. Hamilton is only 26 years old. No one is taking Mesoraco and his combined 79 games in 3 years. The Reds are on the hook for another $13 million next year so he isn't being cut. Otherwise he would be gone. And dear God please do not mention "We're paying $13 million for Phillips to not be here" because it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Cozart is gone soon enough.

You really do not understand how a rebuild works.
Every day you surpass your own stupidity. I'm actually surprised you're able to turn on a computer every day
Old 07-19-17, 07:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Keeping and playing Phillips is delaying it another year. You want the rebuild to last even longer than it currently is?
Old 07-19-17, 07:26 AM
All World

Quote:
Keeping and playing Phillips is delaying it another year. You want the rebuild to last even longer than it currently is?
This is just never going to sink in. Small market baseball is just way over his head.
Old 07-19-17, 12:04 PM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Astros did it. Scorched Earth approach. Had a few historically bad years, 2011, 2013, 2013 had 105-110 losses. Playoffs last year, and now they look set for many years...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: