Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-18, 06:38 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Our BIGGEST problem is none of them gives a crap about Canton McKinley and the kids,that's really going to show very soon.
Old 03-29-18, 08:14 AM
Varsity

Lefthook37 is on a distinguished road
I think this is a job for the SMOKING MAN to clean up, some people will come up missing
Old 03-29-18, 10:06 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Nice event at the HOF village this morning to welcome the visiting NFL reps who are choosing a site for the draft. Good community support, lots of positive comments. One would presume that the future convention center and hotel sites would be a significant part of the conversation and decision-making process.
Old 03-29-18, 10:36 AM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
Our BIGGEST problem is none of them gives a crap about Canton McKinley and the kids,that's really going to show very soon.
I was thinking about this the other day. We all know there is nothing Canton McKinley about that stadium. Yes it’s an extremely nice facility but......

You know the whole idea of the HOF, located in Canton, HOF ceremonies, draft etc. All these professional athletes were young once and had a dream.
Those current locker rooms -even if physically they are brand new with no history- This facility and locker rooms should be riddled with Canton McKinley history and excerpts. These people that use this facility should be exposed to that.
Old 03-29-18, 11:08 AM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
If ANYONE gave a crap about kids in Canton they wouldnít have one of the lowest graduation rates in the state.

Complaining about a state of the art sports facility, whaaa
Old 03-29-18, 01:57 PM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIE-WON View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. We all know there is nothing Canton McKinley about that stadium. Yes itís an extremely nice facility but......

You know the whole idea of the HOF, located in Canton, HOF ceremonies, draft etc. All these professional athletes were young once and had a dream.
Those current locker rooms -even if physically they are brand new with no history- This facility and locker rooms should be riddled with Canton McKinley history and excerpts. These people that use this facility should be exposed to that.
That's because McKinley is only using those locker rooms on loan at the present time. There no McKinley's locker room to decorate. That's the big lie nobody admits to.
Old 03-29-18, 02:15 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in and out of there all the time and I understand that. I’m talking something more permanent not necessarily decorate. I guess what I’m saying is there should be something that every professional sees when they step inside that stadium and can’t help but notice -the historical effect from the Bulldogs even if you guys get your own personal stadium. Murals and photos should still be littered amongst that Stadium.
Old 03-29-18, 02:34 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
I know the majority out there canít stomach the fact of accomplishing new accolades and need the support of the past, but kripes get over it.

Google ďMcK butt puntĒ frame it, stick it up in a wall and BAM!
Old 03-29-18, 03:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIE-WON View Post
I guess what Iím saying is there should be something that every professional sees when they step inside that stadium and canít help but notice -the historical effect from the Bulldogs even if you guys get your own personal stadium. Murals and photos should still be littered amongst that Stadium.
Umm...it's not finished yet.

Plus - a nod to the past is one thing. To turn the place into a museum/mausoleum full of pics and names and season records from 60+ years ago isn't wanted anymore.
Old 03-29-18, 03:33 PM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Umm...it's not finished yet.

Plus - a nod to the past is one thing. To turn the place into a museum/mausoleum full of pics and names and season records from 60+ years ago isn't wanted anymore.
I noticed you skipped right past post 239. The truth is what you preach, that's the truth and makes you look stupid. So I see why you glossed over that post.
Old 03-29-18, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Columbus has enough money and enough going on. The economic boost is a big deal for Stark County. Yeah, it's not centrally located, and please keep screeching about how it's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair for SW Ohio. Who cares? Kids in Alaska have to take airplanes to play their neighbors. You'll survive the extra 90 minutes on the highway. No need to be slothful.

Only thing I would change is that the Thursday game(s) needs to go. Bring PBTS back into it if needed to make the schedule work.
So if the finals were held in Hamilton County every year, you would be ok with that?
Old 03-29-18, 06:01 PM
All Ohio

fbrox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetom View Post
So if the finals were held in Hamilton County every year, you would be ok with that?

I'm from Northeast Ohio and love the games in Canton but the answer to your question is yes, I'd be fine with them in Hamiltucky. The qualifier though is the games would need to be at Nippert, not PB. Newly renovated Nippert is very nice and the openness of the stadium would fit nicely. The lower level would likely fill up for div 2-7 And div 1 would likely fill up 1/4 of upper level. That would be a neat atmosphere.
Old 03-29-18, 06:09 PM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetom View Post
No. I addressed this in the rest of the post and others. Canton is the birthplace of modern football and has invested millions in public funds to honor that and create a tourist destination that is associated with exactly what the kids are coming here to do. We're a poorer city, while Cincinnati is quite wealthy. There's plenty to do in Cincinnati, little to do in Canton. The games obviously mean a great deal more to us than they do to you, and the economic impact for us is also several times more significant than it would be for a successful, major city like yours. This is literally one of just two times per year when large numbers of people visit Stark County. Hopefully that changes in the future.

But even if Canton was as wealthy as Palm Beach, we would still be a better choice. We're sort of centrally located, while you're not centrally located by any stretch of the imagination. Fun fact: the center of population in Ohio is Mount Gilead, not Columbus. That's 40ish minutes northeast. Quite literally the only places for whom a Cincinnati state finals location would be convenient for are Dayton and yourselves. Toledo, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Columbus, the Central Highlands, most of Southeast Ohio and even portions of West-Central Ohio are ALL closer to Canton than they are to Cincinnati. Many other smaller municipalities are at worst, equidistant. There is just little or no situation in which a Cincinnati state finals location makes sense, unless it just was decided based on the proximity between the two schools that meet up and always changes each year. And all of this isn't even to say I wouldn't enjoy visiting Cincinnati for the finals, I'm sure I would.

Now I know the ultimate argument is to have them in Columbus, not Cincinnati. So in full fairness I agree that the Shoe and Columbus' even more central location do make sense. I still disagree of course... there are plenty of states that are much larger than ours and with bigger drive times for all fans than a Cincy-Canton commute. Also, see above concerning the state's true center of population. But Columbus also has downsides that everyone acknowledges -- you lose out on the football history of the HOF (of varying worth to some) and you play in a 90% empty stadium (more important).

Long story short for those that don't wanna read an essay: the handwringing over the Cincy-Canton commute instead of Cincy-Columbus as "unfair" is in my opinion overblown. Some people here act as if the games are being played in Ashtabula.
Old 03-29-18, 08:30 PM
All American

Good points jax.

The facts are these - 2 cities and 2 only are in consideration for hosting the finals - Columbus and Canton. All the negative rhetoric from jealous haters means nothing. The OHSAA gushed with compliments on how well the finals went at Canton. As things progress in the stadium and beyond, Canton's role as host only improves.
Old 03-29-18, 10:07 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Why wouldn’t they want to play the champ games at the “Disneyland of football”. LMAO
Old 03-30-18, 05:10 AM
All American

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201803...-in-site-visit
Old 03-30-18, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

IUDOGS is on a distinguished road
Angry Seem the OHSAA know something you don't about Tom Benson Stadium future?

It's March 30, 2018

Subcontractor's on the Tom benson Stadium project have been paid for the work done last year.

Local companies will be bidding on future Hall of Fame Village Work???

It's March 30, 2018

Still Nothing is getting done.

What are you waiting for: Hell to FREEZE FIRST.

This is IUDOGS signing off.
Old 03-30-18, 10:20 AM
All World

Caleb is on a distinguished road
man2man this is your thread. Tell this guy to stop please!
Old 03-30-18, 10:20 AM
All American

Dogs - try to relax. Don't know where you are but it has rained every day here this week and it snowed this morning. Not a lot of stuff going on anywhere around here right now.

Moving forward it is going to be developed differently than before (more private development) so information about who, what, when and where will be handled differently as well. Those posing as "insiders" on here will have even less info than they pretended to have before.

Maybe the NYT will do another article LOL

Enjoy your Holy weekend worship experiences and family gatherings and don't think about it. God is love.
Old 03-30-18, 05:18 PM
All American

It is what it is on the delays. Construction companies aren't chomping at the bit to work for a guy that stiffed them for six months and refused most forms of communication.

That said, these are big contracts. Hopefully we get some more info about the governance structure/payment terms soon.
Old 04-01-18, 10:12 AM
All American

Mildly combative editorial from the Repository today in response to the New York Times piece:

http://www.cantonrep.com/opinion/201...ut-hof-village

The following stuck out to me:

Quote:
Local leaders have discussed an economic development sales tax increase, and even that isnít legal at this time. Discussions among state lawmakers could lead to changes that allow county commissioners to ask voters to approve a tax for economic development, but not for individual projects.
Does this not sound like a runaround? OK, economic development as a whole... a fairly convenient way to get most of the money to one actor or project if you throw a little bit at someone else and maintain the appearance of fairness. Hasn't JobsOhio skirted the boundaries of legal operation for years now?

Quote:
A comment from Regula in the national story was particularly troubling to this Editorial Board: ďI know how the NFL works, and sometimes they rely on the local community to build them stadiums and things like that, and we simply canít do that here in Stark County.Ē

Regula never has negotiated stadium financing or leases with the NFL. Furthermore, most NFL (and Major League Baseball) stadiums are publicly financed and privately operated. Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, on the other hand, is mostly privately financed and publicly operated. There isnít an NFL city with a stadium deal as public-friendly as the one in Stark County.
Regula said "stadium." Okay, that was off the mark. He corrected himself. And? The issue isn't Benson Stadium. It's already built. The issue is the wider Village. But all one has to do is go back a paragraph and see that public funding is being discussed -- yet again. "Mostly privately financed?" Tens of millions have come from the taxpayers already. Much more money has been pitched in by localities around the state than the stadium's namesake, the recently passed Tom Benson.

It's all well and good to cheerlead but this "new governance structure" being teased in successive Rep articles but with no details is getting old. What's the hold up in divulging what it is? If they don't know, they should say so. Why is the Port Authority voluntarily sitting on details about the governance structure, and more importantly the bridge loan, that they signed off on? They are choosing to keep this information private, and are not obligated to do so as a public body. One would be forgiven for thinking that they are doing so at IRG's behest.

The "trust us and shut up" act is growing thin. People like David Held are 100% right to be demanding answers, and if that takes going to the Times, so be it. Are the Repository's standards are so low that they consider "funding gaps" to be responsible for plywood windows and black mold at the Hoover Company? While the same developer just purchased a $30 million campus in Minnesota?

I know it's an opinion piece, but come on. Have more pride.
Old 04-01-18, 11:03 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
The other thing people donít realize is the bids to build the hotel and Center for Excellence were never awarded to any contractors. Contractors submitted bids a year ago. With everything thatís happened I am sure those bids are being re-done.
Old 04-01-18, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Don't give a hoot about The Village but the boys need a locker room now,real tired of BIG Bakers bull.
Old 04-01-18, 12:39 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
..................Canton is the birthplace of modern football .................................................. ...
No, it is not. It is the birthplace of the NFL.
Old 04-01-18, 03:21 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
I get the stance of HEY NOTHING TO SEE HERE ALL IS WELL WORK IS BEING DONE

yeah so what - NOTHING is finished, not the competition fields, not the stadium, not the LOCKERROOM FACILITY THAT MCK USED TO HAVE, not the hotel.

Lets be honest - unless they get the hotel up - nothing else will be done. I think it all hinges on the hotel.

what a mess - stadium is a push at best - as far as it goes for this Canton fan - nothing really to the advantage of the fan - had bathrooms, had concessions, had all the things we have now - old stadium didn't have all the annoying BLUE seats - old stadium had a facility for OUR student athletes and they had access to it 51 weeks of the year....now they have a building that is half deconstructed with workers wearing masks while players are down the hall changing for practice. The only thing dumber than using this facility FOR 3 years would be putting money into renovating it year 2.5 to avoid the PR nightmare it will be if anyone takes pics - and then knocking it down anyways.

Yeah that seems to be the dumbest move that could be done - no one would ever do that.....

make no mistake - I hope it all works out and everyone joins hands and sings praises...and I hope the HOF and NFL all make their money and Dave Baker gets to take the next step to his political aspirations, however I maintain a stance of arguing for the MCK program including the coaches and athletes that serve the program, I think they are being mistreated in this entire deal. AND I think the language of the last meeting about "PRESERVING THE TRADITIONS blah blah blah" is a feeble attempt to appease those in the community asking questions about the 'new stadium" that our players get treated like guests in. ZERO has been done to make the stadium or anything inside to have a McKinley feel. ANY atmosphere of being a home stadium has been RUINED.

whole deal is a mess and not all of us are drinking the Koolaid

Last edited by Football 101; 04-01-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 07:02 AM
All American

Props to the Repository for presenting facts, something sorely missing on this topic (just read some of these posts).

Regula didn't just misspeak - he lied about knowing NFL business and he did not even know that a possible tax he was asked about was illegal. That's what happens when a small town politician gets a call from the New York Times and tries to sound important. Maybe he should talk less and spend more time studying the ORC.

As the opening of the article correctly stated, the NYT article lacked facts, credibility and new information. But this is hardly the first time that paper has lacked credibility. The Rep editorial was factual and (god forbid) even hopeful about the HOF village.
Old 04-02-18, 07:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
The other thing people donít realize is the bids to build the hotel and Center for Excellence were never awarded to any contractors.
That is public knowledge. From this point forward though it remains to be seen how public such info will be.
Old 04-02-18, 07:35 AM
All World

Quote:
That is public knowledge. From this point forward though it remains to be seen how public such info will be.
Please post a document, newspaper article, scrap of paper anything that states those bids were not awarded. Hell until this whole mess was front and center in the paper you claimed their was nothing wrong these were normal construction delay's that happen on every job.
Old 04-02-18, 07:36 AM
All American

M Klein and Co, an New York advisory firm that brokers large dollar deals is joining the HOF Village project. They will be providing financial and strategic advice. Managing partner Michael Klein will be the keynote speaker at the upcoming Canton Chamber of Commerce dinner. He sits on the NFL international advisory board.

M Klein Co is a global consultant company specializing in brokering deals between large companies. They have access to foreign and domestic partners with large capital assets. Klein Co employees have set up an office in Stark in early February.

Looks like problems are being addressed by some qualified people. Good news for most people, bad news for the negative crowd.
Old 04-02-18, 07:39 AM
All World

Quote:
M Klein and Co, an New York advisory firm that brokers large dollar deals is joining the HOF Village project. They will be providing financial and strategic advice. Managing partner Michael Klein will be the keynote speaker at the upcoming Canton Chamber of Commerce dinner. He sits on the NFL international advisory board.

M Klein Co is a global consultant company specializing in brokering deals between large companies. They have access to foreign and domestic partners with large capital assets. Klein Co employees have set up an office in Stark in early February.

Looks like problems are being addressed by some qualified people. Good news for most people, bad news for the negative crowd.
I mentioned this a week ago. Where have you been.
Closed Thread