Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-12-18, 10:14 AM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 1,727
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Just read a newspaper article about how Walmart on one hand report giving raises and bonuses and the with the other report they are closing several Sam's stores. They stated how many people will lose jobs and I think were try to make Walmart look bad. I ask if a store is not profitable and there does not seem to be a way to make it so why would you keep it open? It was reported many of these stores are where expected population growth just did not happen.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-12-18, 10:22 AM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 565
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple66 View Post
More come to work half drunk than on pot. A lot more start to work and do not make it because of drinking. The ones on pot make it and are happy to be there.
I don't think most are happy to be part of the working poor. You would have to be on Meth and Molly to go to work at Wal Mart and be happy you are working there.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-12-18, 11:14 AM
sapientia et veritas sapientia et veritas is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-07-13
Posts: 1,958
sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I ask if a store is not profitable and there does not seem to be a way to make it so why would you keep it open?
Because if you don't lose money on purpose then you're just exploiting people, I think. It's hard to follow the logic here sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-12-18, 11:32 AM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 1,742
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Because if you don't lose money on purpose then you're just exploiting people, I think. It's hard to follow the logic here sometimes.
Huh?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-12-18, 11:44 AM
gneiss rocks gneiss rocks is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 1,133
gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I don't think most are happy to be part of the working poor. You would have to be on Meth and Molly to go to work at Wal Mart and be happy you are working there.
Health, friends and attitude are much more important in determining happiness than where you work.
However... lets say you are roofing today, I would recommend drugs to help the attitude portion of mental satisfaction.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-18, 12:24 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 565
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gneiss rocks View Post
Health, friends and attitude are much more important in determining happiness than where you work.
However... lets say you are roofing today, I would recommend drugs to help the attitude portion of mental satisfaction.
I would agree except he said "they are happy to be working at WalMart". He didn't say the are happy and working at walmart.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-18, 12:59 PM
sapientia et veritas sapientia et veritas is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-07-13
Posts: 1,958
sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Huh?
Oops. Bad guess. If you don't lose money on purpose then you're a total racist.

Maybe. I dunno. I suck at this.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-12-18, 01:08 PM
SWMCinci SWMCinci is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-20-07
Location: Outside of Ohio..... Now
Posts: 17,293
SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I don't think most are happy to be part of the working poor. You would have to be on Meth and Molly to go to work at Wal Mart and be happy you are working there.
Talk to them. Many have no ambition other than to get someone off their back about having a job. Others are providing a 2nd income for the family and that's all they are looking for. Some are actually looking to make it a career and lay it out, clerk, department head, asst manager, manager, district manager.....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-12-18, 01:58 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 565
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Talk to them. Many have no ambition other than to get someone off their back about having a job. Others are providing a 2nd income for the family and that's all they are looking for. Some are actually looking to make it a career and lay it out, clerk, department head, asst manager, manager, district manager.....
None of what you listed (maybe career) means they are happy working at Walmart. How many people are happy working a 2nd job let alone a midnight shift stocking shelves at Walmart?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-12-18, 02:08 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 2,113
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
None of what you listed (maybe career) means they are happy working at Walmart. How many people are happy working a 2nd job let alone a midnight shift stocking shelves at Walmart?
It's a job, not a hobby. That's why they pay you.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-12-18, 02:22 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Posts: 565
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
It's a job, not a hobby. That's why they pay you.
So if your job is also a hobby do they have to pay you?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-12-18, 02:23 PM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 2,113
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
So if your job is also a hobby do they have to pay you?
I taught American History and coached football for 35 years, so if you're smart, yes.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-12-18, 05:47 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 6,613
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Why is drug testing employees a waste of time and money?
It's not, if someone is suspected of being high on the job. If not, then it's a waste of time and money.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-13-18, 09:32 AM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 1,727
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Tell me how it is a waste of time to drug test someone you are willing to employee. I cannot tell you the the percentage of people that get hired and then do not show up for their drug test. but it is high. I always thought it was strange why people even apply when in the ad it says drug test required and they know they can not pass said test.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-13-18, 09:55 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,185
queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I don't think most are happy to be part of the working poor. You would have to be on Meth and Molly to go to work at Wal Mart and be happy you are working there.
Unhappy enough to formulate and execute a plan to work somewhere better?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-13-18, 10:28 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Depends on where you live!
Missouri tends to be relatively affordable. Always has been.

Right next to Walmart's home state and a target of much of it's initial expansion. Expansion that killed many town centers like rural carpet-bombing. For what, really ? Short-term gratification for the consumers of low-end crap and the enrichment of it's shareholders. Then came the post-Sam era when Sam Walton's kids had Coughlin calling the shots. Long before ACA, Walmart structured the compensation packages of it's full-time employees in MO to stay just below the limit for state subsidy of health care. He also introduced wonderful new lows like illegal-alien store cleaning night crews and unit price demands for coffee-makers and sweepers that demanded slave labor in China coupled with introductions to Chinese manufacturers.

Walmart is a historically awful citizen. No way around it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-13-18, 10:31 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
What a waste of money and everyone's time.
Drug-using low paid employees are far more likely to steal. I'd weed them out as a retailer or a warehouse/wholesale operator. It's common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-13-18, 10:38 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Stocking shelves and running a cash register are entry level jobs. They require zero education. Not even a GED. $11/hr for a job that requires virtually no skills and no education is far from crumbs.
http://grocery.gianteagle.com/pd/Nic...0360/0D881243/


shut up
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-13-18, 10:44 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
A person who shows up and has a little common sense can walk into Walmart and be managing the place in less than a year. We have some real lazy people in our work force.
I think it would be far easier to teach science and math to the developmentally disabled than it would be to manage many Walmart employees. Managing those places takes a special kind of patience, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-13-18, 12:46 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,829
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
What is your point?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-13-18, 02:40 PM
Irwin20 Irwin20 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-14-11
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3,097
Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
What is your point?
Looks like a good deal on Honey Cracked Wheat bread.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-13-18, 05:31 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
What is your point?
See if you can figure it out. Here's where we began -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
those wage increases are crumbs
Until one proves that they are more than a "dog" employee, I'm not saying they deserve anything more than "crumbs". It's laughable that such an increase would be cited to dispute Dem criticisms, though.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-14-18, 09:40 AM
Levi Levi is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-29-01
Location: Good Luck Stark Co.!!!
Posts: 29,710
Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Some Sam's Clubs closing are becoming Fulfillment Centers. Trying to compete with Amazon.

Walmart raised their wage from $9 to $11. That is over $4000 more per year. I wouldn't be pissed at making an extra $4K for the same work.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-14-18, 09:48 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Some Sam's Clubs closing are becoming Fulfillment Centers. Trying to compete with Amazon.

Walmart raised their wage from $9 to $11. That is over $4000 more per year. I wouldn't be pissed at making an extra $4K for the same work.
Heck no.

Walmart's wage scale in some backwater where jobs are scarce may have brought in the kind of people that would show their gratitude for that $4k in their work ethic. "My" Walmart is in a booming area. Most employees are just hiding in the store's security camera blind spots, looking at their mobile devices
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-14-18, 12:54 PM
D4fan D4fan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-08-15
Location: At work
Posts: 2,622
D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Heck no.

Walmart's wage scale in some backwater where jobs are scarce may have brought in the kind of people that would show their gratitude for that $4k in their work ethic. "My" Walmart is in a booming area. Most employees are just hiding in the store's security camera blind spots, looking at their mobile devices
I always have been impressed with not only Wal-Mart employees but fast food employees in some areas of the deep poor South. Often these are the best jobs available if an interstate runs through a small town and the quality of employee in these towns makes our Dayton area stores and fast food restaurants look pretty bad.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-14-18, 01:53 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 6,613
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Drug-using low paid employees are far more likely to steal. I'd weed them out as a retailer or a warehouse/wholesale operator. It's common sense.
Any stats to back that up? Having worked quite a few low-paying jobs in the past, it doesn't matter if someone uses drugs or not, employees are going to steal regardless.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-14-18, 01:57 PM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 1,742
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Any stats to back that up? Having worked quite a few low-paying jobs in the past, it doesn't matter if someone uses drugs or not, employees are going to steal regardless.
I agree. 90% of the population uses a mood and mind altering substance. Alcohol. Sure if someone becomes dependent on a drug and their income can't support the habit of course they will steal. But they are usually fired long before that.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-14-18, 02:07 PM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 6,613
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Ted you own your own business don't you? How do you view employee personal drug use? Is it one of those "as long as you get the job done, I don't care and don't want to know about it" type scenarios?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-14-18, 05:12 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Any stats to back that up? Having worked quite a few low-paying jobs in the past, it doesn't matter if someone uses drugs or not, employees are going to steal regardless.
No stats ginned up for you, but you could look at these -

Theft is only 9th on the laundry list of reasons, but it's there.
https://www.ncadd.org/about-addictio...-the-workplace

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02898973

https://www.yourdrugtesting.com/effe...the-workplace/
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-14-18, 05:14 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 30,941
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I agree. 90% of the population uses a mood and mind altering substance. Alcohol. Sure if someone becomes dependent on a drug and their income can't support the habit of course they will steal. But they are usually fired long before that.
Illusions of unfair treatment are often a rationale for theft, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz