Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Elder Panthers

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-17-14, 08:25 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
That is ironic as Sears and JC Penney invented home shopping over a hundred and thirty years ago, not with the internet but something we used to call catalogs. It was really no different than internet shopping only you used the phone and a catalog rather than a website. In the 70's my mom still was more likely to order something from the catalog than to go to the store and "shop". Of course mom had a house full of kids and no driver's license until she was in her mid thirties. Man we looked forward to the annual "wish book" sent out by Sears every fall for the Christmas toy buying season. Funny that the stores that invented it are now dependent on brick and mortar stores which are dying.
Ah, The Wish Book! I remember being given time limits on The Wish Book so we could all have a chance to make out our Christmas list. Good memories.

Very good point by the way. Our back to school clothes were always ordered out of the Sears catalog. Except for shoes and the girl's uniforms. Marmer's for shoes and I can't remember the name of the uniform store on Warsaw. Was it Huber's?
Old 01-18-14, 03:32 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post
Ah, The Wish Book! I remember being given time limits on The Wish Book so we could all have a chance to make out our Christmas list. Good memories.

Very good point by the way. Our back to school clothes were always ordered out of the Sears catalog. Except for shoes and the girl's uniforms. Marmer's for shoes and I can't remember the name of the uniform store on Warsaw. Was it Huber's?
It was Huber's Department Store (although by 1970 they only had one department, school uniforms, as far as I know). It was still around until it, and its contracts with local parochial schools, was bought out by SchoolBells from out of town.
Old 01-18-14, 04:01 PM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was Huber's Department Store (although by 1970 they only had one department, school uniforms, as far as I know). It was still around until it, and its contracts with local parochial schools, was bought out by SchoolBells from out of town.
I remember it well. Don Huber was a good man. I remember going in there when Don's dad was still running the store.

That is a lost era. You would go in and get almost anything you needed as far as clothes. The Huber's knew you by name and always treated you great. They had their own payment plan if you could not afford to pay all at once without charging interest.

I can still hear the cricking wooden floors they had.
Old 01-19-14, 11:04 AM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Speaking of Delfair Shopping Center, they are losing one of it's most loyal vendors, Delfair Barbers. They have been there for more than 50 years. Lance has had enough. The guy who owns the property has done nothing to help the vendors. The roof in his place has been leaking for over two years....Lance filed a law suit, and still nothing has happened. Lance is moving his shop over to "five points" in the old barber shop near TJ's Lounge at the corner of Rapid Run and Devils Backbone.
My dad was friends with Mr. Lance and they have been one of the anchors at DelFair for half a century. Sad to see them move.

I heard speculation that the property may be razed and converted into a housing development. You know how rumor-mongering is around here. There is really nothing to substantiate it but hearsay. But it was brought up in a conversation with a friend that is former Delhi Pike business owner.

It is also sad to see the vacant lot of the Blockbuster strip and Funky-Dunks building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar panther View Post
your last time was about the same as mine. It's worth going back now.
That's good to see.

A trip to Northgate was a big deal twenty or thirty years back. The days of the "mall crawlers" has probably passed. The teens and twenty-somethings probably don't go to those places for the social aspect as much as my generation did.

I think shopping habits have been affected by the proliferation of outlet malls, on-line shopping and a shrinking population base. Hopefully they will stay viable and an important part of that community.
Old 01-20-14, 08:33 AM
All American

Older Panther
Wink

My dad was friends with Mr. Lance and they have been one of the anchors at DelFair for half a century. Sad to see them move.

I heard speculation that the property may be razed and converted into a housing development. You know how rumor-mongering is around here. There is really nothing to substantiate it but hearsay. But it was brought up in a conversation with a friend that is former Delhi Pike business owner.

It is also sad to see the vacant lot of the Blockbuster strip and Funky-Dunks building

Possible mob work??!!
Old 01-20-14, 08:39 AM
Cooling Off

Nelson Van Alden has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Assuming low end housing development, that's probably worse than the rotting building that currents stands.
Old 01-20-14, 12:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Van Alden View Post
Assuming low end housing development, that's probably worse than the rotting building that currents stands.
I've heard this rumor as well but I would assume that this would require a zoning change and I would hope Delhi wouldn't approve such a request.
Old 01-21-14, 08:00 PM
All American

jjakq27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Panther View Post
Possible mob work??!!
Could be OP. I'd love to see them clean up Delhi.
Old 01-24-14, 07:08 AM
All American

Visitation_Football
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakq27 View Post
I heard speculation that the property may be razed and converted into a housing development.
A housing development? When you say housing Development I assume you mean Section 8 or public housing. A rotting Delfair Shopping Center would be far better than that. I hope Delhi's trustees aren't that stupid. That would ruin that entire area.

Last edited by Visitation_Football; 01-24-14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 08:52 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Here's an old photo of the five points intersection in Green Township:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Old....7272885315164/
Old 01-27-14, 03:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
Here's an old photo of the five points intersection in Green Township:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Old....7272885315164/
Very cool. Based on the cars in that picture I would guess that picture is from the '40s maybe.

The picture of Central Parkway above it is very cool too. Can't tell if that is smog or fog in that picture.
Old 02-04-14, 08:57 PM
All District

vanman396 is on a distinguished road
Noticed an Elder billboard by the Speedway on Westfork and Northbend (by the Speedway). Nice to see the an Elder presence by St. Ignatius and St. James.
Old 02-05-14, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman396 View Post
Noticed an Elder billboard by the Speedway on Westfork and Northbend (by the Speedway). Nice to see the an Elder presence by St. Ignatius and St. James.
It seems they have that sign every year around this time. They have also had the one at Cheviot and Blue Rock (Near St. James) a few times over the years.
Old 02-06-14, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

This is awesome news.

Quote:
GREEN TWP. — The township is buying an old railroad right of way for the purpose of developing a biking and hiking trail.

The Green Township trustees voted Jan. 27 to buy a section of the former Chesapeake and Ohio railroad property. The portion of the railroad, which also belonged to CSX, the township plans to buy runs mostly parallel to Harrison Avenue and stretches from Hutchinson Road to Marie Avenue, near the intersection of Bridgetown and Race roads.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...p-biking-trail

My best guess as to where the path will go based on the clearing in the trees that still exists from the C&O tracks: http://i.imgur.com/XAT4DT4.png
Old 02-06-14, 08:56 PM
All Yappi

Not much of a trail there and really not much room for any type of expansion as far as I can see.
Old 02-06-14, 09:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not much of a trail there and really not much room for any type of expansion as far as I can see.
It's something.

Also from the article...
Quote:
Extending the trail farther northwest along the railroad line and connecting it to Veterans Park is the township’s long-term goal, Rosiello said. The township would work with The Christ Hospital, which owns a portion of the railroad property between Hutchinson Road and Veterans Park, and other property owners to make the project happen, he said.
Old 02-07-14, 01:03 PM
All World

Quote:
It's something.

Also from the article...
It needs to be at least 10 miles to be worth while. There is no reason for the west side not to have the equivalent of the Loveland Bike Trail going from near downtown out to the City of Harrison.
Old 02-07-14, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
There is no reason for the west side not to have the equivalent of the Loveland Bike Trail going from near downtown out to the City of Harrison.
Unfortunately, people weren't as forward thinking with the C&O of Indiana railroad in the 1970s. Had the railroad's right-of-way been preserved intact we'd have a much better chance at something similar to the Loveland Bike Trail today.
Old 02-07-14, 03:10 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
It needs to be at least 10 miles to be worth while. There is no reason for the west side not to have the equivalent of the Loveland Bike Trail going from near downtown out to the City of Harrison.
I agree. Looking at that satellite image EHS 2001 provided there seems to be a lot of occupied land around that trail. I just don't see much room to expand and even if they can get to Veterans Park that doesn't add much.
Old 02-07-14, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree. Looking at that satellite image EHS 2001 provided there seems to be a lot of occupied land around that trail. I just don't see much room to expand and even if they can get to Veterans Park that doesn't add much.
The measuring tool on Google Maps indicates that adding a second phase from Hutchinson Rd to Veterans' Park would add about 1 more mile.

Hopefully this plan comes to fruition and it eventually leads to many more miles of bike trails on the Westside.
Old 02-10-14, 09:35 AM
All Ohio

CincyHSfootball is on a distinguished road
For those interested this appeared in this morning's Enquirer. It is a fundraiser with Pete Rose doing his one man show at the Covedale Theater to raise funds for the new Incline Theater in East Price Hill.

Date is Sunday March 30th 8:00

Should be a fun night. Pete is a great storyteller. This will be the second event Pete has done for the Incline Theater. He attended a fundraiser back a few months at PrimaVista. We appreciate what he is doing to help the community he grew up in.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ncline-Theater
Old 02-11-14, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

Does anyone know what's going on in the parking lot in front of the Remke's in Delhi? The two buildings on either side of Wild Mike's have been torn down.
Old 02-11-14, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

After some researching by Ehs 2005 and I, we've found that a company called Devonshire REIT, Inc. purchased the shopping center in October 2013 for $4.5 million.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/D...-Center/153914
http://devreit.com/portfolio/delhi-plaza/
Old 02-11-14, 10:53 AM
All Region

purpleandwhite
Quote:
Does anyone know what's going on in the parking lot in front of the Remke's in Delhi? The two buildings on either side of Wild Mike's have been torn down.
I've heard a dunkin donuts is going in where they tore down the old bank
Old 02-11-14, 10:56 AM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleandwhite View Post
I've heard a dunkin donuts is going in where they tore down the old bank
Yes, and in the section between Remke and Aldi, they list 'Inspire Fitness'

http://devreit.com/wp-content/upload...02/DelhiV2.pdf

It appears they are looking for another tenant for lot F.
Old 02-11-14, 04:12 PM
All Region

jjk10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the rumor I hear is, a Dunkin Donuts !!!
Old 02-11-14, 04:26 PM
All World

Ehs 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk10 View Post
the rumor I hear is, a Dunkin Donuts !!!
See my post... It isn't exactly a rumor. Any rumors for Lot F?
Old 02-11-14, 06:55 PM
All World

There was a Daily Donuts on the Pike, thirty years ago, which was converted into the Skyline. I believe it failed due to competition from the neighborhood bakeries. I guess times have changed.
Old 02-12-14, 04:45 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
I noticed the Western Hills Remke/Biggs has been completely converted to just "Remke" now, they finally changed the sign. The only reason I go there anymore is to buy beer. Remke has destroyed the bread/produce section. Kroger is far superior a far superior grocery store now.

Either way, I hope the store stays open. Would be a real black eye if that location were to go vacant.
Old 02-12-14, 02:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHSfootball View Post
For those interested this appeared in this morning's Enquirer. It is a fundraiser with Pete Rose doing his one man show at the Covedale Theater to raise funds for the new Incline Theater in East Price Hill.

Date is Sunday March 30th 8:00

Should be a fun night. Pete is a great storyteller. This will be the second event Pete has done for the Incline Theater. He attended a fundraiser back a few months at PrimaVista. We appreciate what he is doing to help the community he grew up in.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ncline-Theater
Design plans for the new theater have been released.

http://www.examiner.com/article/desi...tre-price-hill