Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-14-17, 06:39 AM
Varsity

SW_Ohio is on a distinguished road
Becoming an Official

Are there any officials on this board? I'm interested in becoming one. I have a few questions though.

1. What is the pay like elementary/JH/HS? I've been looking online, and I haven't been able to find an answer.

2. I've looked up the information for the classes to become an official. Unfortunately, I've only found two near me (Stebbins and Huber Heights). I coach HS football, and I'd have a tough time making those class dates because of our football schedule. Does anyone know of any other classes that are being offered?

I used to wrestle, and I've been thinking about doing this for a few months. I want to get back into the sport, but it's difficult with my football schedule to take classes during the fall. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-17, 06:51 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
I could be way off, but I thought the pay was in the range of $30 for a typical dual and $70-75 for a tournament.

Again, I could be way off on this and there will be someone on this board who knows for sure.

Nonetheless, your love of the sport better be your #1 reason for doing it, because the $$$ is more like an off-set.
Old 07-14-17, 07:09 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
See link below for Cincinnati's local association

http://gcwoa.org/

They have a "suggested fees" button that will give you an idea on what to expect with the JRHS & HS levels.

Just know that you are an independent contractor which is why those are "suggested" prices. Some schools may pay less, some may pay more.

I hope you take the time to get certified and enjoy it. We need more officials.

Even if you are someone that has been around the sport forever and feel comfortable on the mat as a referee, I strongly suggest hooking up with a mentor. Have someone there to bounce questions and situations off of. Have conversations about the matches instead of just refereeing and being done with it for that day.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-17, 08:00 AM
Varsity

SW_Ohio is on a distinguished road
Thank you. I don't care about how much you make doing it. I was just curious. Thank you for all the info.
Old 07-14-17, 12:00 PM
All District

Joe Hall is on a distinguished road
I just wanna hit Campolongo for coach misconduct
Old 07-14-17, 03:07 PM
All Region

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Ohio View Post
Are there any officials on this board? I'm interested in becoming one. I have a few questions though.

1. What is the pay like elementary/JH/HS? I've been looking online, and I haven't been able to find an answer.

2. I've looked up the information for the classes to become an official. Unfortunately, I've only found two near me (Stebbins and Huber Heights). I coach HS football, and I'd have a tough time making those class dates because of our football schedule. Does anyone know of any other classes that are being offered?

I used to wrestle, and I've been thinking about doing this for a few months. I want to get back into the sport, but it's difficult with my football schedule to take classes during the fall. Thank you.
Well, as I hit my 35th year, I have a pretty good feel for what is required and what to expect.
The first thing I tell every new official is that it generally takes some time to get known and get assignments. I will say that doing youth and JH stuff is about as hard as it gets. You have to react to things that you never see (or almost never) in a varsity match.
Second, if anyone gets into this for the money, they will be sorely disappointed. As you advance, you can do "all right" on the money side but the reality is that you need to love the sport for what it is.
I would imagine there will be classes at other locations on other nights. It is too bad that you missed Refman's spring time class. That is a way to become an official in a weekend.
That said, last night we learned that the OHSAA is now allowing the local associations to hold classes at any time that fits them. IOW, if a local group found out that more prospective officials are available in the middle of summer rather than the traditional Oct/Nov time frame, they will be allowed to hold classes in the summer. I hope this helps in getting more guys involved.
Finally, I am nearing the end of my career but we still need new officials. If any of the coaches on this forum see this and know of a former wrestler who might be a candidate, PLEASE help the sport by talking to them about it.