Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-16-17, 04:40 AM
All American

CuriousGeorge1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinwhip View Post
Ohio definitely misses Amos. He's been dropping kids on their domes all day
Where did he move from? He is very impressive.
Old 07-16-17, 06:51 AM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
He's wrestles for Parkersburg WV. Until now, WV never fielded a Freestyle team so Braxton would wrestle for Ohio. He has done this for years. He and my son were on the same Schoolboy team 3 years ago and he was throwing kids all over the place back then also. Very nice kid a nice family
Old 07-16-17, 07:29 AM
All Region

MikeMattin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinwhip View Post
He's wrestles for Parkersburg WV. Until now, WV never fielded a Freestyle team so Braxton would wrestle for Ohio. He has done this for years. He and my son were on the same Schoolboy team 3 years ago and he was throwing kids all over the place back then also. Very nice kid a nice family

WV does not take a team to the national dual tourney so he has jumped on the Ohio Schoolboy and Cadet dual teams. The rule is that if you compete for a state at the duals then you
must compete for that state at Fargo.

This created a little controversy as NJ tried to DQ him last year as he competed initially for WV and had to switch 1/2 way through the tourney.

He was recovering from ACL repair this year and didn't go to the duals with Ohio so he is competing with the WV NAT. TEAM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-17, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
Cadet free: 12 AA's, which is a solid and positive showing
Into the semis - Shawver & Burnett of Elyria, Sutton of Austintown Fitch, Gallagher of St. Edward, Snodgrass of Kettering Fairmont, Cover of Bay Village, and Haga of Parkersburg South (WV)
Through consolation - Rowan of Perry (Lake), Norris of LaSalle, Voinovich of Brecksville, McIntosh of Harrison, and Donathan of Mason
Five others fell a match short of a top eight finish
Old 07-16-17, 11:19 PM
All Yappi

CN FS medal notes
1/2: Cover, Haga
3/4: Rowan, Voinovich, Snodgrass
5/6: Donathan, Shawver, Burnett, Sutton, Gallagher
7/8: Norris, McIntosh

JN FS - round 16 (two front-side wins = AA, one front side & one back side win = AA, three back-side wins = AA)
113 Cardello
120 D'Emilio, Hoskins
126 Mattin
152 Austin Murphy (Elder, I presume), D. Johnson
160 Feree, Carr
170 Yinger
182 Marcelli
195 Abraham, Howard
220 McCloud, Sauerwein, B. Smith (N.C. Hoover)
285 Spaulding

Consolation JN FS -- I think I got them all (these kids need four straight wins to AA)
106 Miller
113 Agin
120 Tagg
126 DiSabato
138 Breeding, Garr
160 Kharchla
170 Crawford
182 N. Clary
220 J. Leonard
285 Earnest
Old 07-17-17, 02:06 PM
All American

Heavy Hitter 1
Semifinals
Drew Mattin Delta, OH (Ohio) vs Alex Thomsen Neola, IA (Iowa)

David Carr Massillon, OH (Ohio) vs Joe Lee Evansville, IN (Indiana)
Old 07-17-17, 03:46 PM
All Yappi

Ohio's Junior freestyle team will have two more guaranteed All-American finishers with Hoskins facing Tagg and McCloud facing Ben Smith in con-12 matches. Hoskins lost 16-14 to McKee in the quarter, while McCloud lost 7-6 to Duggan (both McKee and Duggan are top 100 c/o 2018 kids, Hoskins was ranked higher than McKee in the grade level).

Six other Ohio wrestlers have advanced to a con-12 bout:

Cardello coming off a loss to Ty Smith of Nevada faces Ben Kamali of Michigan, Kamali beat Cardello for 7th at the Super 32 Challenge in the fall

D'Emilio lost to 2x Cadet FS runner-up Ridge Lovett of Idaho in the round of 16, will face New Jersey's Patrick Glory
**Hoskins and D'Emilio both were Junior free All-Americans last year**

Kharchla most recently beat PA state champ Edmund Ruth to reach a con-12 match against Minnesota state champ Kenny O'Neil, who had upset Andrew Merola in the round of 16

Marcelli was pinned by Indiana state runner-up Lucas Davison, a past Cadet free runner-up, in the quarters. He faces 2x Oklahoma state champ Kaufman in tonight to earn All-America honors.

Howard upset top 50-ish c/o 2018 prospect Joel Shapiro from Iowa 11-10 in the round of 16 before getting teched by now two-time Junior free All-American Matt Waddell in the quarters. He faces Campbell from Missouri tonight (the importance of the Shapiro upset is that Shapiro is in a con-12 with Nebraska enrollee Wolfe, who ended 16-17 ranked nationally)

Spaulding lost 5-1 to returning Junior freestyle All-American Brandon Metz in the quarterfinal, he faces Iowa state champ Aaron Costello (an Iowa enrollee, and top 100 c/o 2017 recruit) for All-American honors tonight.

Last year's Ohio JN FS team earned five AA's. It would be a disappointment not to get at least six given how this tournament has progressed.
Old 07-17-17, 03:49 PM
All Yappi

As a note, the 11/12 Cadet freestyle AA for Ohio is a significant improvement from the 6/7 of last year.
Old 07-17-17, 07:36 PM
All Region

Headache is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Mattin down 6-0 and storms back with a great comeback!! Keep it going Drew!!
Old 07-17-17, 09:03 PM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Not sure anybody is having a better tournament than Kharchla. After losing opener 12-11, he has 9 straight wins including about 3 state champs. The last was a Fargo champ last year. Will wrestle Joe Lee for 3rd. Darn impressive.
Old 07-17-17, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

Ohio JN FS AA total is 8.
Mattin and Carr go for gold tomorrow afternoon from 3:00 ET
3/4 - McCloud, Khachla
5/6 - Howard, Spaulding
7/8 - Hoskins, Marcelli
Old 07-18-17, 06:08 AM
Freshman

Lucas_Wrestling is on a distinguished road
Is anyone else having issues with track wrestling and viewing the brackets i hit the drop Dow. Menu and there nothing there. Was wanting to check out all the brackets and results are they posting anywhere else?
Old 07-18-17, 06:16 AM
All Ohio

gutwrench79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_Wrestling View Post
Is anyone else having issues with track wrestling and viewing the brackets i hit the drop Dow. Menu and there nothing there. Was wanting to check out all the brackets and results are they posting anywhere else?
http://arena.flowrestling.org/
Old 07-18-17, 01:44 PM
All District

carpmentor is on a distinguished road
Women's Cadet Results: Ohio brings home two champions in Olivia Shore at 100lbs and Leilah Castro at 117lbs. Taryn Martin finished as runner-up at 94lbs and Cassandra Smith brought home 7th place at 138lbs.
Old 07-18-17, 02:29 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpmentor View Post
Women's Cadet Results: Ohio brings home two champions in Olivia Shore at 100lbs and Leilah Castro at 117lbs. Taryn Martin finished as runner-up at 94lbs and Cassandra Smith brought home 7th place at 138lbs.
Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see growth in girl's wrestling. This world needs more wrestlers.
Old 07-18-17, 03:38 PM
All Region

Headache is on a distinguished road
DREW MATTIN 126 lb champ
Old 07-18-17, 03:46 PM
All District

chainwrestle is on a distinguished road
Nobody on here even picked him��well deserved congrats drew.
Old 07-18-17, 03:47 PM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
And Carr wins 160
Old 07-18-17, 03:49 PM
All American

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
And Carr wins 160
Him vs Bergen Catholic's Shane Griffith at Flo's Who's #1? Would be my pick for the matchup after Carr got his invite. He looked really good and picked up two top level wins this week.
Old 07-18-17, 05:27 PM
All Ohio

falcons53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpmentor View Post
I have been following all of the action, including girls. Our club here in Texas had a bunch of kids in all 3 levels. Very interesting to see that a strong wrestling state like Ohio did very well in girls at the lower weights and nearly no participants in the upper weights.

My opinion is that heavier girls in state's that don't sponsor girls only tend to not continue. 160-200lbs girls vs 160-200lbs boys at age 14-18 is a bad match up for the girls, as well as some potential body issues having to wrestle boys every day. In Texas, bigger girls keep wrestling a higher rates because they have separate teams and tournaments.

California, Oregon, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas and Washington sponsor a girls state high school championship. Several, including Texas have full girls teams and schedules.

Example of quality is Samara Chavez from Texas is nearly untouchable in Texas and was a member of the World Cadet Team. Taryn Martin beat her 10-6 in the 94lbs div. Great job Taryn!

Maybe nobody cares, lol. I coach both girls and boys in FS/GR out here and just found it interesting.
Old 07-18-17, 05:37 PM
All Ohio

One more item maybe only I care about, in Girls Cadet California and Texas ran away from the field for 1st and 2nd. Ohio finished 9th with 2 champs (tied for most) and 1 runner-up. No Ohio wrestlers above the 144lbs weight class. Lower weights were nearly owned by Ohio. Finalists in 3 of the first 5 weight classes and 4 of the first 9. No Ohio entries in top 4 weight classes. Ohio had 4 placers. California 17 and Texas 10, but only 5 finalists and 3 champs combined. Ohio 2 champs and 3 finalists. Depth was the difference.
Old 07-18-17, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

I'd say Carr picked up one TOP LEVEL win (Joe Lee in the semi) and two pretty good wins (Dow and Curry both being top 100 c/o 2018 kids) on his way to gold, and another solid win in Junior folk champ Yant (4x IA SP going to Northern Iowa). Just a matter of semantics though in terms of your view on Tyler Dow.
Old 07-18-17, 08:41 PM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcons53 View Post
I have been following all of the action, including girls. Our club here in Texas had a bunch of kids in all 3 levels. Very interesting to see that a strong wrestling state like Ohio did very well in girls at the lower weights and nearly no participants in the upper weights.

My opinion is that heavier girls in state's that don't sponsor girls only tend to not continue. 160-200lbs girls vs 160-200lbs boys at age 14-18 is a bad match up for the girls, as well as some potential body issues having to wrestle boys every day. In Texas, bigger girls keep wrestling a higher rates because they have separate teams and tournaments.

California, Oregon, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Tennessee, Texas and Washington sponsor a girls state high school championship. Several, including Texas have full girls teams and schedules.

Example of quality is Samara Chavez from Texas is nearly untouchable in Texas and was a member of the World Cadet Team. Taryn Martin beat her 10-6 in the 94lbs div. Great job Taryn!

Maybe nobody cares, lol. I coach both girls and boys in FS/GR out here and just found it interesting.
To be fair, the largest weight class for women in the Olympics is 165 lb, so why does high school have 200 lb?
Old 07-19-17, 06:55 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
And Carr wins 160

And named OW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-17, 07:49 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
To be fair, the largest weight class for women in the Olympics is 165 lb, so why does high school have 200 lb?
The IOC is always 4 years away from dumping wrestling entirely. I wouldn't use them, or their designated weight classes, as a guide for anything.

If high schools offer girls' weight classes up to 200 lbs, and there are willing girls able to fill those classes, what's the problem?
Old 07-19-17, 08:05 AM
All American

jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
The IOC is always 4 years away from dumping wrestling entirely. I wouldn't use them, or their designated weight classes, as a guide for anything.

If high schools offer girls' weight classes up to 200 lbs, and there are willing girls able to fill those classes, what's the problem?
I am 100% for women's wrestling and enjoyed watching Maroulis' gold medal run just as much as I did Snyder's.

But looking at the brackets for Fargo, do you really want to claim that the girls are filling out the 200 lb weight class? I think it was a 5 girl round robin at that weight...at the biggest national tournament.
Old 07-19-17, 08:34 AM
Freshman

sharobin11 is on a distinguished road
Howard upset top 50-ish c/o 2018 prospect Joel Shapiro from Iowa 11-10 in the round of 16 before getting teched by now two-time Junior free All-American Matt Waddell in the quarters. He faces Campbell from Missouri tonight (the importance of the Shapiro upset is that Shapiro is in a con-12 with Nebraska enrollee Wolfe, who ended 16-17 ranked nationally)

"Howard upset Joel Shapiro and was teched by Matt Waddell" ..... Cody was down 8 or 9 -2 and he stormed back against Shapiro...He redeemed himself greatly against Waddell....by dismantling Waddell in the 5th place match 20-10...Howard was relentless....that is the hallmark of a winner....they say pressure burst pipes and Cody never took his foot off the gas pedal as his in your face style he pressured and blast doubled Waddell till he broke!!!
Old 07-19-17, 09:25 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Ohio JN FS AA total is 8.
Mattin and Carr go for gold tomorrow afternoon from 3:00 ET
3/4 - McCloud, Khachla
5/6 - Howard, Spaulding
7/8 - Hoskins, Marcelli
How did McCloud finish?
Old 07-19-17, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
How did McCloud finish?
4th, I think.
Old 07-19-17, 12:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
I am 100% for women's wrestling and enjoyed watching Maroulis' gold medal run just as much as I did Snyder's.

But looking at the brackets for Fargo, do you really want to claim that the girls are filling out the 200 lb weight class? I think it was a 5 girl round robin at that weight...at the biggest national tournament.
That was my point about states that sponsor vs those that don't. Almost all of the upper weight girls were from states that sponsor girls only divisions. It is the chicken or the egg argument. If more states sponsored, especially OH, PA, IL, etc where wrestling is bigger, you would see an increase in my opinion.