Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-09-17, 10:34 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Sell your region as a tourist destination

Even though I've been just about everywhere in Ohio there are still plenty of places I'd like to see or do not yet know about.

Sell your area.

For instance, I live East of Toledo and I'd tell someone coming to the area that they should come in the summer and attend a Mud Hens game. I'd probably push Tony Packo's on the them for a pre-game meal. I'd tell them to stay at Maumee Bay State Park and take all of that in for a day or so. If you golf Maumee Bay's Scottish style course (no trees, just THICK heather) is a must (and a challenge). If you like fishing, grab a charter out of Meinke or Wild Wings Marina's just down the road and snag some Walleye. I'd then push South Bass and Kelley's Island's. Both islands have good eats and are enjoyable to ride bikes or rent a golf cart. I'd suggest Heineman's Winery on South Bass and if you like seafood the lobster bisque on the Boardwalk is darn good. Be sure to grab a pint and listen to Mad-dog Mike at the Roundhouse. Both state parks on each island are nice. You can rent waverunners at South Bass' state park. Kelley's has glacial grooves and quarries and a great candy/ice cream store downtown. I'd have them of course finish up at Cedar Point and enjoy all of the throwback carnival food (cheese on a stick, dog on a stick, cheese fries, elephant ears, etc...).
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-17, 10:49 AM
All World

tom 48 is on a distinguished road
Lorain has the world's largest Easter basket:

http://www.morningjournal.com/articl...NEWS/140419920

Newark has the world's largest basket:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/10658

And who can forget The Blue Hole:

http://www.onetanktrips.com/2013/07/...hole-lives-on/

What tourist wouldn't avail themselves of any of those?
Old 07-09-17, 11:25 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Unless you like over rated average football come to Bryan/College Station.
Old 07-09-17, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Stay outl we don't want tourists coming in and ruining our area
Old 07-09-17, 01:54 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
A nice place for Clevelanders to come for a few days and forget about the crippling depression and sad state of things back home.
Old 07-09-17, 02:43 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
I live just outside of the village, but y'all come down to the Obetz Zucchini Fest on August 24-27 for all the zucchini concoctions you can eat. Jamey Johnson plays on Friday, Ted Nugent plays on Saturday - all entertainment is free.

Past Z-fest entertainers include Blue Oyster Cult, Joan Jett, Rick Springfield, and Brett Michael.

Also, Obetz purchased the old Columbus Motor Speedway and built the new Fortress Field in its place, the first professional lacrosse-focused stadium in the country, and new home of the Columbus Machine LaX team.
Old 07-09-17, 03:23 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
A nice place for Clevelanders to come for a few days and forget about the crippling depression and sad state of things back home.
I forgot that Cincinnati had Goettafest! Now that's a reason to come to Porkopolis, to pay homage to the meat that makes it unique in Ohio. Oh, wait a minute - Goettafest is in KENTUCKY! It must have known something and needed to escape.

http://www.goettafest.com/
Old 07-09-17, 03:30 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
I should have known this would turn into a $hit-show.

In all honesty aside from mostly driving through I know very little about Dayton and Cincinnati. Was thinking about heading down to watch the Reds and wanted to make a long weekend out of it. Good eats around the park? Other places to see? Things to do?
Old 07-09-17, 06:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I want to hit that Air Museum some day, but I've been saying that for a lot of days.

The powers that be in this city (Toledo) think putting in a park along the river front instead of you know, a job creator, will draw people from ALL OVER THE WORLD. At least that's how the local hacks try to sell that nonsense.

Here's a question for the three C types here. Any of your cities build a parking garage on precious river or lake front? I've google mapped several major river front cities and can't find a single parking garage on the water.

We have several of the usual quality things but from the point of view of what do we have that others don't have just as good or better? Not much. We have two good roads to Cedar Point. Two to Detroit and Ann Arbor. One to Chicago. None to Columbus, that's also a selling point.

If we could undercut others' hotel stay costs, without sending visitors to the Cherry St. Mission, we'd be a nice two-three day stop. Without that, we've got nothing unique to anyone outside NW Ohio to coerce someone to choose to spend precious vacation time here. Quality but not unique Art Museum, Zoo, activities... The powers that be don't want to hear "unique." They want to glad hand real estate condos and river front garages.
Old 07-09-17, 07:42 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Dayton: US Air Force Museum is a world-class museum. Even more impressive than the Smithsonian's NASA Museum, IMO. A new hangar was added this year, with Presidential, R&D and Global Reach exhibits. You don't need to be an aviation buff to enjoy it either.

I visit the museum about once every year or two, but haven't seen the new hangar yet... hopefully, by the end of summer.

And, you can't beat the FREE admission.
Old 07-09-17, 08:20 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Queens, NY

Downtown Flushing

Jackson Heights

Astoria

Flushing Meadow Park

Rockaway Beach
Old 07-09-17, 08:33 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
For Stark County,

Ummm...errr...ummm...Pro Football Hall of Fame...Ummm....errr...ummm...Pro Football Hall of Fame...ummm...errr...ummm...That's about all we have that's unique. Lived here for most of my life and have only visited the place twice. Never even thought about taking any out of town guests there.

There's also the McKinley Presidential Library and Museum and the First Ladies' Museum in Canton, but neither are that interesting, IMHO. Massillon has its annual Cruise-In classic car show each year on the Saturday before Fathers' Day. I view it as a good day to stay as far away from downtown as possible.

Canton has hitched its horse to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Village wagon. We'll see how that Hail Mary turns out...
Old 07-09-17, 10:30 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
Queens, NY

Downtown Flushing

Jackson Heights

Astoria

Flushing Meadow Park

Rockaway Beach
Queens looks like a total kenthole.
Old 07-09-17, 10:59 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Athens Ohio

One of the prettiest college campuses in the country and we are Ohio's party town with hot liberal girls. Not those hot conservative girls wanting marriage

Old 07-11-17, 06:25 AM
All Yappi

So that's where the fentanyl went? Kind of gives the creeps to see that many blanched people congregated. They Canadian?
Old 07-11-17, 06:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Athens Ohio

One of the prettiest college campuses in the country and we are Ohio's party town with hot liberal girls. Not those hot conservative girls wanting marriage
Meh, all that means is they try to act like they were raped every time they have sex.
Old 07-11-17, 07:46 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
You forgot to add the DWA image from Flushing
Old 07-11-17, 08:17 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
10-15 years ago, I really thought Cleveland was taking off. 7-8 years ago, it felt like Downtown had really "made it."

The crazy thing is, it's just kept going and going. If you haven't been to Cleveland in the last 2 years, you might not believe your eyes.

This is getting absurd.

Two pictures from East Ninth Street Pier, new building is a resturant:

Two pictures from Edgewater Park, new building is a beach house that has bar on top:

New convention center and new downtown Hilton:

New East Bank of Flats:

The oldest picture in this post, constructed 5 years ago in 2012. Black building is MOCA (modern Art museum) in University Circle's Uptown Development.
Old 07-11-17, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

While not tourist related and as crazy a building boom as Seattle has there are a couple new apartment towers breaking ground in CLE that will change the skyline:

Playhouse SQ gets a 34 story tower>

The Beacon Project at Euclid and 6th is 24 stories>

And while not shovel ready the 54 story NuCLEus is a go as the business tenants in the bottom part of the building have signed preliminary lease agreements
Old 07-11-17, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

NuCLEus would be incredible. Defining architecture and connects The Q with East Fourth perfectly. That really would tie it all together.
Old 07-11-17, 10:09 AM
All Yappi

It's an ugly POS you'll be stuck with for five decades. It goes into that hotbed of architecture that says, "If we can built it, it must be creative." Now if it can get sufficiently buried by other developments to the point it just looks like another piece of the jogsaw puzzle, it might not be do hideous.
Old 07-11-17, 10:37 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It's an ugly POS you'll be stuck with for five decades. It goes into that hotbed of architecture that says, "If we can built it, it must be creative." Now if it can get sufficiently buried by other developments to the point it just looks like another piece of the jogsaw puzzle, it might not be do hideous.
Very in look for apartment tower architecture, all the millennials want balconies and this look gives them that without looking cookie cutter, these types of buildings are all over the west coast. I like it better than the giant match stick craze that is happening in Manhattan where all the limousine libs want their own floor of an apartment tower.

Old 07-11-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

That doesn't really look like the Cleveland proposal. I'd be A LOT less critical if the Cleveland building actually did rise up same pattern, instead of that goofy change right in the middle. As for the building posted (that Trump?) King Kong would bend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Very in look for apartment tower architecture, all the millennials want balconies and this look gives them that without looking cookie cutter, these types of buildings are all over the west coast. I like it better than the giant match stick craze that is happening in Manhattan where all the limousine libs want their own floor of an apartment tower.

Old 07-11-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

The reason I like the architecture is the h-shape with the bridge-type thing that connects the two buildings; the look of the building with the balconies I am mostly indifferent to. Architecture is all personal preference though, I really just want a defining project on that lot. A big project there takes the E 4th/Q/Progressive Field area to the next level.
Old 07-11-17, 11:03 AM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I think it looks incredibly ugly
Old 07-11-17, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Agreed Turpin it's hideous. Perfect for Cleveland
Old 07-11-17, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Youngstown.... smarter than you
Old 07-11-17, 03:02 PM
Cooling Off

Uncle Ted is on a distinguished road
Well I can check going to Cleveland off my list. Thanks.
Old 07-11-17, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
The reason I like the architecture is the h-shape with the bridge-type thing that connects the two buildings; the look of the building with the balconies I am mostly indifferent to. Architecture is all personal preference though,

emmm, no but I'l grant what you probably meant. The stacked block thing can be interesting but I'm so indifferent to the style of the blocks, this is a joke by columbus architects on Cleveland. They're giving you the ugly version of

It would look good in Solon maybe. Cleveland should just say "no."

Last edited by eastisbest; 07-11-17 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 03:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
Well I can check going to Cleveland off my list. Thanks.
Thanks be to God.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: