Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-01-17, 02:07 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in July 2017?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3682 Death Do Us Part (Canada-2014) ... 3.0/8

#3683 Murder In The Dark (US-2013) ... 2.0/8

#3684 Gojira: Fainaru uzu (Japan-2004) ... aka Godzilla 28: Final Wars ... 4.0/8

#3685 The Thirsty Dead (Philippines-1974) ... 3.0/8

#3686 The Lords of Salem (US-2012) ... 4.0/8

#3687 Last Girl Standing (US-2015) ... 5.5/8

#3688 Graveyard Shift (US-1973) ... 3.0/8

#3689 Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (US-2015) ... 4.5/8

#3690 Jaws of Satan (US-1981) ... 4.0/8

#3691 The Purge 3: Election Day (US-2016) ... 4.0/8

#3692 Al-qasr al-mal'oun (Egypt-1962) ... aka The Cursed Palace ... 4.0/8

#3693 Nightmare on the 13th Floor (US-1990) ... 4.0/8

#3694 Victor Frankenstein (US-2015) ... 5.0/8

#3695 Hunter's Blood (US-1986) ... 4.5/8

#3696 X (US-1963) ... 3.5/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 07-27-17 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-17, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Transformers: The Last Knight

I really don't even know where to begin with this one. As someone who more or less loved all of the first three ones (#2 has some serious issues in the third act due to the writers strike), I had hopes that the franchise would return to form. The fourth one wasn't good, but at least it was entertaining.

The fifth one, is just bad. At some points it is simply making fun of itself, which works for some movies, but not this one.

This one is just all over the place. The plot changes every 3rd scene it seems like and characters will have just randomly changed clothes from one scene to the next even though there's no conceivable way they'd have a change of clothes with them. Things being said in one scene contradict things said in previous scenes.

Anthony Hopkins who could have been a great boost of credibility to the franchise, is a joke. Tony Hale and Jerrod Carmichael are wastes of space. John Tarantino is also back in a role that isn't really needed. Same with Stanley Tucci coming back, but now playing Merlin.

Mark Wahlberg for the most part is actually better than he was in #4. One of the worst parts of that movie was trying to believe Mark Wahlberg was a inventor/engineer. That's not a role he can pull off. Thankfully, the 5th movie pretty much uses that fact as a punchline.

The sad thing is, there's actually a good movie in here somewhere. The movie itself runs about 130 minutes. It could have been a pretty good 105-110 minute movie. There's just so much waste in the movie, and way too much comedy.

And the movie itself is largely about humans, who for the most part are now the bad guys. Most humans want to kill the transformers, the good ones and the bad ones. Optimus Prime and Megatron, the two leaders of each group, are barely in the movie. Instead, Bumblebee takes more of a center role (but not as a leader) and many new characters are introduced but not really made important.

The ending sets up a 6th movie, that I now how we never see. A sad tale for a franchise that used to be very entertaining.

3.5/8 I guess.
Old 07-01-17, 07:54 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Baby Driver

8/8

Really liked this movie, my takeaways:

* For me this was the best movie of the year.

* Unlike the endless sequels, prequels, re-imaginings & comic book relaunches this is a very original movie that takes the classic "caper" movie style and spins it out as something fresh & fun.

* The movies use of sound and music is very innovative. There is a seamless flow to what "Baby" is listening to and the action that blows by on the screen.

* The script is witty, fun and the acting is terrific from a bunch of stalwarts including Kevin Spacey and a very scary Jamie Foxx. But the real star of the show is a breakout performance by the lead. This kid steals the show with a very quirky performance.

* At it's heart and in spite of the onscreen carnage this movie has a 50's love story feel to it. As ArizonaWildcat said in another thread it's one of those rare date movies that both will enjoy a lot.
Old 07-01-17, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
looking forward to seeing Baby Driver.

Ansel Elgort is someone I'd like to see take over the role of Indiana Jones, though I think my frontrunner is Lucas Till.
Old 07-02-17, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Arrival: 5/8

Not bad, but not as good as I was expecting or had heard. Kind of reminds you of Contact with Jodi Foster. The plot kind of drags in a few spots.

Despicable Me 3: 4.5/8

Enjoyable and entertaining. If you liked the others you'll like this one. The villain isn't that good, but the film still works despite it. The idea of the villain isn't the problem so much as I wasn't a fan of Trey Parker's performance.
Old 07-02-17, 11:57 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
The German Doctor - 5/8

Movie about Josef Mengele in Argentina after WWII. Such a shame that Mossad never caught up to him.
Old 07-03-17, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

Death Do Us Part (Canada-2014)

Horror: A couple plan to rough it with a bunch of friends before the wedding but end up being targeted. Not that good.... 3.0/8

Murder In The Dark (2013)

Horror: A group of tourists ends up trapped at a ruin in Turkey when panicked sets in after one of them turns up dead. This one was even worse. I learned this was an experimental film where the actors were only told a small amount and had to improvised.... 2.0/8
Old 07-03-17, 09:05 AM
All Yappi

Godzilla 28: The Final Wars (Japan-2004)

Kaiju: The final chapter? Maybe though I believe there is another one from 2016..... anyhow Japan has organized a group of mutants to protect the world. Meanwhile, a spaceship arrives and the aliens who first seem friendly really are not and they control the monsters who they unleash on the planet... it is up to the mutants as well as Godzilla and Mothra to save the planet. Of course this was over the top and the action scenes felt like they were sped up which was annoying but plenty of Kaiju and destruction all around. Entertaining and corny but could of done without the most annoying Kaiju of all, Minilla.... 4.0/8
Old 07-03-17, 02:34 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The Southerner (1945) - A movie that all Americans alive today should watch. This film shows how hard Americans were once willing to work to provide for their families and what discomfort they were willing to tolerate.

6/8
Old 07-03-17, 02:43 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
The Girl on the Train 5/10
Old 07-03-17, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The Southerner (1945) - A movie that all Americans alive today should watch. This film shows how hard Americans were once willing to work to provide for their families and what discomfort they were willing to tolerate.

6/8
It's been a while since I last saw this movie but it was outstanding and easily worthy of a 6 or 7 on the Vamp scale.

I also agree that folks need to see this film as a reminder that not so long ago there was REAL poverty in the USA. If I had my way it would be required viewing in EVERY American high school. We were a tougher breed back then.
Old 07-03-17, 04:16 PM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Baby Driver: 8/8
Old 07-03-17, 06:46 PM
All Yappi

The Thirsty Dead (Philippines-1974)

Horror: Hot girls go missing and end up deep in the forest where they are harvested for blood. Man, this should of been good but failed at almost every level.... 3.0/8
Old 07-03-17, 06:49 PM
All Yappi

I saw a couple on non horror flicks over the last week.... the first I believe was called something like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. This was by Tim Burton. I liked it but lost interest throughout.... 4.0/8

then saw Be Cool... this was the sequel to "Get Shorty". John Travolta and many others are in this one... it had it's moments... 4.5/8
Old 07-03-17, 09:32 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Sausage Party

I made it ten minutes...
Old 07-05-17, 07:30 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Baby Driver: 7/8

I'm not normally a big Edgar Wright fan, but he nails it here. The movie is greatly cast, led by an incredible performance by Ansel Elgort that will help catapult him into a star. I still wish he had landed the Han Solo role (and hope he gets considered for Indiana Jones) but he probably couldn't have done both this movie and the Han Solo movie.

The movie itself I think shines best in that it avoids cliches. There's predictable ways this movie could have gone, and it doesn't quite end up the way you expect.

Ironically, this was the movie Edgar Wright chose to do after he and Marvel had a falling out over Ant-Man. Ant-Man still turned out pretty good and we got Baby Driver, so everyone wins all around.
Old 07-07-17, 03:41 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
300 mil do nieba (300 miles to heaven) 5/8

Polish film about two young brothers who run away from home in mid 1980's communist Poland to try for a better life in the West. Pretty good, just wish it would've stuck closer to the real life story it was based on.
Old 07-10-17, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

The Lords of Salem (2012)

Horror: Written and directed by Rob Zombie and starring his wife Sheri Moon. Started of pretty good but the 2nd half went overboard and lost its gust. Too bad, as this one could of been great with the right touch... 4.0/8

Last Girl Standing (2015)

Horror: Campers, serial killer, survivor... and then we get started.... We all have seen serial killer movies but what happens to the survivor afterwards? .... Really enjoyed this one... 5.5/8
Old 07-10-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

Graveyard Shift (1973)

Horror: A security guard at a film studio discovers that strange events are going on and it is up to him to stop it. This is another one of those that starts decent but then flops after that... 3.0/8

Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (2015)

Action/Horror: After escaping the maze the kids find themselves in more trouble and another battle for survival. Not as good as the first but still decent... I guess we have one more left in the series... 4.5/8
Old 07-10-17, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

Jaws of Satan (1981)

Horror: A southern town has a snake problem and residents are dying but is it really a snake or Satan? Well. The doc, snake expert, and priest are on the case.... sometimes watching these old not well known horror movies you recognize some of the actors and this one had a very young Christina Applegate (Married With Children)..... 4.0/8
Old 07-10-17, 06:50 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Despicable Me 3. 4/8
Old 07-10-17, 08:48 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
The Da Vinci Code (2006). Tom Hanks. Zzzz-zzz. Will this movie ever end? 5/8
Old 07-11-17, 09:26 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The Lodger (1927) - I have been on a Hitchcock kick lately, even watching his half hour tv shows on ME-TV. The Lodger was his first thriller/suspense film and you can see many of his hallmarks in this early film. You can definitely see the influence of the German Impressionists in this film with the odd camera angles adding to the suspense. A silent film, even the title cards show a great deal of thought and effort.

7/8
Old 07-11-17, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
It's been a while since I last saw this movie but it was outstanding and easily worthy of a 6 or 7 on the Vamp scale.

I also agree that folks need to see this film as a reminder that not so long ago there was REAL poverty in the USA. If I had my way it would be required viewing in EVERY American high school. We were a tougher breed back then.
lol
Old 07-11-17, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
lol
Have you seen this film? What do you suppose life was like for poor sharecroppers in an age with almost no welfare safety nets? Along with John Ford's Grapes of Wrath the Southerner should be required viewing by high school students. At the very least these were accurate portrayals of life back in the 1930's. And yes, the poverty folks experienced during the great depression was much worse than anything we call "poverty" today.
Old 07-11-17, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
The good ol' days amirite?
Old 07-12-17, 04:41 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Have you seen this film? What do you suppose life was like for poor sharecroppers in an age with almost no welfare safety nets? Along with John Ford's Grapes of Wrath the Southerner should be required viewing by high school students. At the very least these were accurate portrayals of life back in the 1930's. And yes, the poverty folks experienced during the great depression was much worse than anything we call "poverty" today.
Then why is almost every economic quote from the clone-leader on this board a plee to go back to those times? Life couldn't have been all that bad if your posse is so desperate to working people back there with your dispassionate theoretical "free market" models and support of unmonitored and uncontrolled capitalist venture..

and I think you need to get out more if you don't think there are people living like your anecdotal prarie folk or for that matter, people living worse at that time. Here's a bit of info, it's a movie about a very small slice of life. It's an anecdote and a characterization of tough times and how people, yes ALL people, generally respond. We respond to live.

You say we were a "tougher breed" back then as if the movie encapsolates everything that occurred. Well here's news. It was that tougher breed that initiated all these policies you whine about, so that their children could apply their toughness to new things. Though I'm sure the clones preferred the dust bowl. I can just imagine the fat-guy plowing the dust instead of sitting behind a mike entrancing a bunch of fools. You think HE would have been one of the "tough guys?" lol
Old 07-14-17, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Spider-Man: Homecoming: 6.75/8

I have a feeling this would have been slightly higher had I seen it before taking my daughter. She tends to be a talker during movies and asking questions, which is distracting. As I mentioned in the Spider-Man thread, there's one scene at the start of the third act that is one of my favorite scenes in any Marvel movie. Michael Keaton is great in the film, playing a menacing villain but also one who is relatable and at the beginning of the movie you understand his POV.

Tom Holland nailed the role. He's probably the best Peter Parker we've seen, though I still prefer Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man in the suit. It's tough to really compare the actors, and even the movies as this is a very different Spider-Man movie than we've ever seen. We've never seen a Peter/Spider-Man this young, and we've never seen a movie with this feel. It is very much a throwback to 80's John Hughes movie with superheros mixed in. Robert Downey Jr is in the movie the right amount. Maybe 10-15 minutes, 4 scenes if I'm not mistaken. Maybe 5. Two mid/post credit scenes.

Hell or High Water: 6.5/8

Solid performances all around by Ben Foster, Chris Pine and Jeff Bridges.

War Machine: 4/8

This one fell flat for me, despite a stellar cast (Brad Pitt, Topher Grace, Scott McNairy, Tilda Swinton, Ben Kingsley, Anthony Michael Hall, Alan Ruck, Will Poulter, Josh Stewart). Oddly enough, the worst part of the movie was the lead: Brad Pitt. I didn't like Pitt's portrayal of his character at all, and it completely ruins the movie for me despite the great cast and interesting plot. Pitt actually does a good job of acting in the role, I just don't like the way he chose to play the character. So he did a good job of playing a character I didn't enjoy in other words, lol. Had he played it closer to his character in Inglorious Bastards I think the movie would have done much better, though the ending is a bit rushed.
Old 07-14-17, 09:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Then why is almost every economic quote from the clone-leader on this board a plee to go back to those times? Life couldn't have been all that bad if your posse is so desperate to working people back there with your dispassionate theoretical "free market" models and support of unmonitored and uncontrolled capitalist venture..

and I think you need to get out more if you don't think there are people living like your anecdotal prarie folk or for that matter, people living worse at that time. Here's a bit of info, it's a movie about a very small slice of life. It's an anecdote and a characterization of tough times and how people, yes ALL people, generally respond. We respond to live.

You say we were a "tougher breed" back then as if the movie encapsolates everything that occurred. Well here's news. It was that tougher breed that initiated all these policies you whine about, so that their children could apply their toughness to new things. Though I'm sure the clones preferred the dust bowl. I can just imagine the fat-guy plowing the dust instead of sitting behind a mike entrancing a bunch of fools. You think HE would have been one of the "tough guys?" lol
At the risk of turning this thread into the Debate board I would note the following:

* I don't think you'll find to many people wanting us to go back to the 1930's/1940's which is when the Southerner took place. I think you mistake the longing for a return to the 1950's/early 1960's. Those times were not perfect of course and they had their issues with equality but there was a lot to commend them from a purely economic and cultural standpoint.

* And I stand by my comment that times were a lot tougher with a whole lot more people living in true poverty back then. In fact given the absence of welfare, section 8 housing, food stamps, medicaid and a myriad of other social welfare programs your suggestion that this isn't so is laughable.

* True the people who came out of the hard scrabble world of the Southerner went on to create the world we live in today. But I suspect the overwhelming majority of them would be horrified at the sense of entitlement and stifling of the work ethic some of these policies have led to. As often is the case for human beings in trying to rectify past wrongs we tend to swing the pendulum to far in the opposite direction.

* As for them being a tougher breed, it seems self evident to me that they were. However, I'm open to being persuaded differently if you could enlighten me on what your statement "could apply their toughness to new things" actually means.

* And whose this "fat" guy you keep throwing out towards the end of your posts? Are your referring to Rush Limbaugh or someone else. If it is Rush, you've got to give it up to him as he seems to be living rent free in your head.
Old 07-14-17, 09:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
The good ol' days amirite?
No that would be the Happy days time. You know the 1950's. I don't think to many people look at the great depression era as the "the good ol' days".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: