Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-03-17, 11:38 PM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Do you mean Deer RUN.. on west side of Cincy?

If so, yes I have before they closed down for good a few years ago.
Old 07-04-17, 07:53 AM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Send a message via Yahoo to INDIANS_RULE
I go out and play 9 a few times a week since I bought a membership to my local course. It always seems to be one or two holes that ruin my score. Yesterday I had 4 pars, 4 bogeys and a 10 on a par 5 that I have eagled before. I was really hoping that playing more often would drastically bring my scores down and for the most part I am getting better if I can just get away from that few hole meltdown.

I don't know if you guys are aware or not I know a bunch of you guys are from up north Ohio and Southern Ohio there is a website that offers really good deals on courses. I am in the Dayton area and they only offer deals in my area every so often. But I know they offer a lot up north Ohio. It's called groupgolfer.com and it might be worth a look for you guys to check out. I have used it before when they do offer courses in my area that I want to play.
Old 07-04-17, 08:48 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Somehow, after playing a pretty awful first half, my partner and I won the first helf of our league last week. Freakin' game. LOL.

I had a rough first half of the season. My iron game has been awful and my short game has been hot and cold. Hoping for a rebound in the second half.
Old 07-04-17, 06:06 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
When I first started playing, I would fume for a couple of holes after having one of those nefarious "double-pars". I learned to immediately let it go and it is amazing how many times I have followed the horrendous hole with a par or even bird. I don't often have worse than bogey, now. In addition to keeping my cool, I learned to focus on getting out of trouble right away instead of continuing to flirt with it. Just some musings...

Hit 'em straight!
Old 07-04-17, 06:44 PM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I have not. What area is it?

Shot a 90 today at Avon. Hitting Pebble Creek tomorrow.
It's half way between Columbus and cleveland on I-71. Just googled Pebble Creek, and I see there is one in Cincy and another in Mansfield. I assumed it was the Mansfield one that you played, and Deer Ridge is nearby

But if you ever end up further up I-71, hit Deer Ridge--terrific track, fast round
Old 07-04-17, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
When I first started playing, I would fume for a couple of holes after having one of those nefarious "double-pars". I learned to immediately let it go and it is amazing how many times I have followed the horrendous hole with a par or even bird. I don't often have worse than bogey, now. In addition to keeping my cool, I learned to focus on getting out of trouble right away instead of continuing to flirt with it. Just some musings...

Hit 'em straight!
Amen Eagle. I've gotten better over the years. I'm not sure if I've become less volatile or if I am more concerned with throwing clubs I've purchased as opposed to free hand me downs!
Old 07-05-17, 12:44 AM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Quote:

Hit 'em straight!

Yes I am learning this as well.... I followed up my 10 with a bogey. But my par putt only missed by about 2 rotations. One of the hardest lessons is forgetting the last bad hole.
Old 07-05-17, 12:56 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIANS_RULE View Post
Yes I am learning this as well.... I followed up my 10 with a bogey. But my par putt only missed by about 2 rotations. One of the hardest lessons is forgetting the last bad hole.
Grrrr... I hate those. But, at least you were putting for par! While I like to say "I didn't eat my Wheaties", others say "never up, never in". Of course, if it's a treacherous (slippery) green it's tough to go for it!

Definitely not a pro, but I like to hit my shots into the green so the ball lands below the hole - even if it means falling a bit short of the green proper. (Easier said than done sometimes). Uphill putts generally break less and I'm not as afraid to "give it a whack"! Based on your posts, I'd say you got game - or, at least, getting game!

Nothing like being out in nature.
Old 07-05-17, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

“Ninety percent of putts that are short don’t go in.” Yogi Berra.
Old 07-05-17, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Need some tips from the Stark County crowd on playing at the Sanctuary. Hearing that there are some holes that need local knowledge to score well on.
Old 07-06-17, 02:24 PM
All American

Escaped the land of pit bulls and opioids (Cuyahoga Falls) with my ego barely intact, thanks to a couple good birdie and par holes that negated some 7's and 8's: played Brookledge. While the Falls hangs their hat on that Chrissy Hynde song--since, after all, 1979 is current, not nostalgic, judging by many of their residents' dress and hairstyle--kudos to their rec dept for maintaining a real nice track. Compared to Stow City's Fox Den, very impressive.

Starter deserves credit: retired women's league teed off from 8:28-8:44, right before our 8:52 tee time, but he had the common sense to start all the men on the back nine, and kept that pattern going all day. Despite playing behind not the most rapid golfers (how about a twosome backing up six groups over 2-1/2 holes at one point?!?), we played 14 holes in the time those women wrapped up their 9. So that starter saved all of us over an hour on our round. I wish more courses had such good scheduling management.

The rough played tough, but--along with some elevated, undulating greens--that is the course's main defense.

A bit expensive at $31, but an enjoyable round with 111111114111111 and his cousin. Again, very impressive job by the Cuyahoga Falls parks and rec dept on a well-maintained/managed course!

Last edited by Myron; 07-06-17 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-06-17, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Escaped the land of pit bulls and opioids (Cuyahoga Falls) with my ego barely intact, thanks to a couple good birdie and par holes that negated some 7's and 8's: played Brookledge. While the Falls hangs their hat on that Chrissy Hynde song--since, after all, 1979 is current, not nostalgic, judging by many of their residents' dress and hairstyle--kudos to their rec dept for maintaining a real nice track. Compared to Stow City's Fox Den, very impressive.

Starter deserves credit: retired women's league teed off from 8:28-8:44, right before our 8:52 tee time, but he had the common sense to start all the men on the back nine, and kept that pattern going all day. Despite playing behind not the most rapid golfers (how about a twosome backing up six groups over 2-1/2 holes at one point?!?), we played 14 holes in the time those women wrapped up their 9. So that starter saved all of us over an hour on our round. I wish more courses had such good scheduling management.

The rough played tough, but--along with some elevated, undulating greens--that is the course's main defense.

A bit expensive at $31, but an enjoyable round with 111111114111111 and his cousin. Again, very impressive job by the Cuyahoga Falls parks and rec dept on a well-maintained/managed course!
Amen! A fun morning with an enjoyable group. The jokes, stories, and digs were flying. A great course. It's always fun with Myron.

Next up, a VERY early tee time on Tuesday at Shale Creek with Myron and male 11's.
Old 07-09-17, 04:07 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...had a lot of fun playing today with 1's and his cousin Joe at Sleepy in Alliance. Having a round in the 30's is exceptional thing for me and doing it with a couple of good friends made it all the better.

Last edited by 4cards; 07-10-17 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 04:46 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I haven't played regularly in a decade and not at all in three years. I went out Thursday, started rough but finished strong. Encouraging enough to go back out this week.
Old 07-11-17, 11:01 AM
All American

Best dang round of the year this AM at Shale Creek. Have never had a bad experience at that place (other than my golf game at times). Wet conditions helped my score, but the course drained real well of the overnight rains; Bunker Hill just a few miles east looked submerged in a lot of spots.

7AM tee time led to a 3.5 hour round, and that's with cart path only.

Ones had a good long game, Ones Jr. had the great approaches--all three of us with solid rounds. Another great time with those two guys!
Old 07-11-17, 11:59 AM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
Best dang round of the year this AM at Shale Creek. Have never had a bad experience at that place (other than my golf game at times). Wet conditions helped my score, but the course drained real well of the overnight rains; Bunker Hill just a few miles east looked submerged in a lot of spots.

7AM tee time led to a 3.5 hour round, and that's with cart path only.

Ones had a good long game, Ones Jr. had the great approaches--all three of us with solid rounds. Another great time with those two guys!
Another great round with Myron. He was on fire on the front and played pretty well on the back. Of course, there was the yearly tradition of Myron hitting a house with an errant tee shot, this time on #14. Cart path only added some time to our round, but it's always fun playing at Shale Creek.
Old 07-15-17, 02:38 PM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Walked the front 9 in 1 hour and 20 mins, love playing when it's not windy. 4 pars 4 bogeys and 1 triple bogey on a par 3 for a 43.

One of these days, i'm going to play a round where I don't have that one or two freakin holes Ha ha.
Old 07-15-17, 08:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Walked the front 9 in 1 hour and 20 mins, love playing when it's not windy. 4 pars 4 bogeys and 1 triple bogey on a par 3 for a 43.

One of these days, i'm going to play a round where I don't have that one or two freakin holes Ha ha.
Nice round. Those par 3s and short par 4s can jump up and bite you! I still remember the best start of my life - about twenty years ago now:

1] Bogey
2] Bogey
3] Par (short, yet dangerous par 3)
4] Double eagle (short, very dangerous par 5 - three wood off the tee; one iron with eyes)
5] Bogey
6] Par
7] Double bogey (very short par 4 over a pond with very fast, sloped & elevated green - and my nemesis for many rounds)
8] Bogey
9] Bogey

A 40-46 day, about par for me at the time. Even now, I am usually good for a double or two per round. It happens. Guess that's what the offsetting birds are for!
Old 07-16-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

INDIANS_RULE
Quote:
Nice round. Those par 3s and short par 4s can jump up and bite you! I still remember the best start of my life - about twenty years ago now:

1] Bogey
2] Bogey
3] Par (short, yet dangerous par 3)
4] Double eagle (short, very dangerous par 5 - three wood off the tee; one iron with eyes)
5] Bogey
6] Par
7] Double bogey (very short par 4 over a pond with very fast, sloped & elevated green - and my nemesis for many rounds)
8] Bogey
9] Bogey

A 40-46 day, about par for me at the time. Even now, I am usually good for a double or two per round. It happens. Guess that's what the offsetting birds are for!

I always say, those few holes are why I'm pushing my own bag instead of paying someone to carry it for me.
Old 07-16-17, 06:43 PM
All Yappi

Get this beauty of a round in my league this week- 3 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey and 2 birdies! 43.
Old 07-16-17, 08:01 PM
All American

Quote:
I always say, those few holes are why I'm pushing my own bag instead of paying someone to carry it for me.
LOL At least, we get our money's worth!
Old 07-24-17, 09:17 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Played Pebble Creek (Colerain) on both Saturday & Sunday. Shot 88 both days which matches best round of the season. Eagled #9 (par 5) on Saturday. Playing 9 today, 18 tomorrow.
Old 07-24-17, 11:23 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Get this beauty of a round in my league this week- 3 double bogeys, 1 triple bogey and 2 birdies! 43.
One of those yo-yo rounds, eh? What's up with rounds like this? Focused, not focused, focused,... I've never been able to explain it. Go birdies (and eagles)!
Old 07-24-17, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
One of those yo-yo rounds, eh? What's up with rounds like this? Focused, not focused, focused,... I've never been able to explain it. Go birdies (and eagles)!
Just one of those situations where you flub up and then follow it with another bad shot, compounding an already bad situation.
Old 07-24-17, 01:42 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Officially took the driver out of the bag and left it at home so I'm not tempted. Scored so much better last time out by not using it
Old 07-24-17, 05:20 PM
All American

CG: Yep. It's not the original that will get you. It's the cover-up!

MB: Good move. I rarely use the driver. A risk/reward thing.
Old 07-24-17, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Officially took the driver out of the bag and left it at home so I'm not tempted. Scored so much better last time out by not using it
I'm about to do the same thing. Every time I use my driver these days I might as well just add two strokes to my score.
Old 07-24-17, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I had a horrible round with my driver 2 weeks ago but didn't learn my lesson and kept using it. Had 1 good drive to start tonight, then duffed my next attempt. Never used it again and I hit my 3 wood great the rest of the round.
Old 07-24-17, 08:15 PM
All American

ing with you. It's like trying to play with driving wind/rain in your face. Just crack open another cold one and enjoy...
Old 07-27-17, 06:14 PM
All American

Played Stonewater in Highland Heights on a groupon deal (semi-private course). We did this back in 2012, and they were really hurting financially, but it looks like Jimmy Hamlin has righted that ship a bit since then.

Original tee time was 11:24. Got a call Monday telling us they had 72 women teeing off at 8:30 and advised us to move our tee time back to 1:00. Points there, but when we arrived they let us know it was further backed up than they originally thought. Wound up teeing off at 1:20, but the starter made a half-baked effort to call our names out, and so we got jumped by the 1:30 group.

Now it's a challenging course, no question, and its in great shape. Some local knowledge would have helped on the blind tee shots.

Got done at 5:30 (so a smooth sailing four hour round), but that's just in time for the I-271 traffic that we would have missed had we had our original tee time.

Nice course if you get the opportunity to play it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: