Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-07-17, 08:42 AM
All World

troyboy73
Former Dunbar standout transfers

Teddy Hawkins has left Illinois State and is now at Boston College.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-17, 01:56 PM
All World

troyboy73
Is now at his 3rd university. Went to a prep school in Iowa after Dunbar. Signed with Wichita State, got his release and signed with Illinois State and now Boston College.
Old 06-07-17, 09:45 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
If true, this is sad.
Old 06-07-17, 10:44 PM
Freshman

Captain Obvious is on a distinguished road
He will be attending Boston College as a graduate transfer.
Old 06-08-17, 07:28 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
If true, this is sad.
Boston College: sounds to me like he stuck the landing?
Old 06-08-17, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If true, this is sad.
Why sad? He went to Prep school out of high school never actually played with Wichita. Now at BC one of best academic schools around
Old 06-08-17, 08:55 AM
All American

America is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Why sad? He went to Prep school out of high school never actually played with Wichita. Now at BC one of best academic schools around
probably because he's floating around too much. Prep school, Wichita, Illi St, and now BC. All after HS too... Just make a decision and stick with it. I've never had a problem if an athlete goes to 2 different colleges, but more than that is stupid.
Old 06-08-17, 09:04 AM
Varsity

TheGreatElk is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the decision to leave each place was his each time, or was he no longer welcome. We should wait a bit before deciding that he "stuck the landind" at BC.
Old 06-08-17, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
probably because he's floating around too much. Prep school, Wichita, Illi St, and now BC. All after HS too... Just make a decision and stick with it. I've never had a problem if an athlete goes to 2 different colleges, but more than that is stupid.
Technically it is 2. He never attended Wichita St. he committed there coming out of high school then for whatever reason ended up at a Prep school
Old 06-08-17, 10:34 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
I agree with America. It would be a little unrealistic to think Boston College's academics are the reason for the move. Graduated from high school, took a year at prep school, committed to a school but was released, transferred to another school but ruled ineligible, now attending his 3 schools after high school without counting Witchita St.
Old 06-08-17, 11:48 AM
Junior Varsity

COBallCoach is on a distinguished road
I see many people do not understand what a graduate transfer is. Did you see that key word "Graduate".

We always complain about kids not being student athletes.
Next if he wants, maybe he will be a GA.
Old 06-08-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
And as a graduate transfer you have the freedom to go anywhere and play your last year of eligibility if you were redshirted your freshmen academic year then graduate in 4 years the NCAA gives the firth year of eligibility back without sitting. That rule is actually one of the best rules they've ever had.
Hundreds of athletes take advantage of this not just in basketball either.
Old 06-08-17, 01:26 PM
All Region

Perk Diggler is on a distinguished road
Uhhhhhhhh... Like Zezzo states. "GRADUATE" Transfer!!! He's starting his Masters degree at BC. It's a smart move. Why not get your Masters payed for too?? SMH.
Old 06-08-17, 03:26 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Congrats great school.
Old 06-08-17, 03:50 PM
All Ohio

member1 is on a distinguished road
All haters please understand... This kid has gone from really being a non-qualifier to working on his Master's at a great academic institution. The hell with basketball! What a great life story. Good for you Deonta Hawkins! When the ball stops bouncing you will be in a pretty good position to make it!
Old 06-08-17, 04:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I agree with America. It would be a little unrealistic to think Boston College's academics are the reason for the move. Graduated from high school, took a year at prep school, committed to a school but was released, transferred to another school but ruled ineligible, now attending his 3 schools after high school without counting Witchita St.
🤦🏾♂️🤦🏾♂️🤦🏾♂️🤦🏾♂️ he is a graduate transfer. Illinois st did not release him. Chances of getting into BC with bad grades are slim to none
Old 06-08-17, 04:43 PM
All District

Understand the term. I never said Ill. St. released anyone. My initial response was due to troyboy making it sound as though he was a gypsy hitting colleges. After reading the article, I see he was at Ill. St. for 4 years. Don't kid yourself about grade requirements when it comes to a recruit they want.
Old 06-08-17, 05:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
And as a graduate transfer you have the freedom to go anywhere and play your last year of eligibility if you were redshirted your freshmen academic year then graduate in 4 years the NCAA gives the firth year of eligibility back without sitting. That rule is actually one of the best rules they've ever had.

For clarity, not quite "anywhere." I believe the rule states you must transfer to a graduate program not offered by your present institution. So...
Quote:
Yeah, essentially he did go to BC for academics.

I get the appearance of "disloyalty" or inability to make a decision but who am I to take a stand, I did the same thing and so do many people in private industry.

I came from a high school program without the usual academic qualifications, but worked hard in those provided and got accepted into an engineering program on the caveat that.. I had to prep. Same thing he did. First move.

Got the degree, with some struggles and didn't want to continue at the summer firm but had a unique skill that got me a research position. Second move.

After a year, decided University Research wasn't for me, after a someone I'd met offered a position. Third move.

Wanted to complete that degree, 4th move.

Got a new position and though this process have doubled my initial salary from just four years before. 5 th move.

Not done. My skills had further developed to where I was somewhat in demand, 6th move. Retired relatively young, traveled and volunteered and found my true calling. Want to know how many more moves it took to make that a reality? lol

This is why we go to University, to learn to be flexible. I'm reminded of Andrew Hawkins, for a sports analogy. From Johnstown, Penn he got a football offer at UofToledo. Too "small" for the NFL, he was out of football for a year before catching on in Canadian ball until he got into the NFL. Released by the Browns, just got a contract from the NE Patriots (seeing a theme of upward mobility here?) He's not done. Through all this he was working on his Master's Degree from IVY freekin LEAGUE, Columbia and completed it with a 4.0.

Not everyone is born into that position they earn their first choice first. Credits to those that keep fighting.

I think if we're going to "judge," these are case by case judgments. This kid left none of his previous settings in a lurch or unfair advantage and look where's he's landed! From "prep" school to one of the finest graduate programs in the country!

Last edited by eastisbest; 06-08-17 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 03:25 PM
All American

^^^^you still don't get it
Old 06-12-17, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezzo! View Post
^^^^you still don't get it
Because I corrected a detail of how the rule is implemented? Other than that, I thought we were in agreement? You posted that you think it was a great rule and I posted why I think its a great rule.
Old 06-13-17, 07:22 AM
All District

hvs1717 is on a distinguished road
I am going to assume that Teddy is going to Boston College to get his Masters. After all BC has won less than 10 games in 4 of the last 6 years. But that isn't the case with many graduate transfers. The NCAA has been considering changes to the graduate transfer rule because of the abuses to it. As of right now graduate transfers do not count against a school's academic progress report (APR). Because of this, a majority of graduate transfers are playing one year and then leave school. They are not getting their Masters. They are basically one year rental players. With all of the money these schools make off of these kids the least they could do is make sure they are giving them the opportunity to get their Masters.
Old 06-13-17, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

I'd agree with that change.

Before the rule was implemented, what other options did the kids have? Few go pro so it was get on with life. That's ok but the opportunity to get a Masters, which more and more vocations are requiring of their employees, this is great. Athletes give a HUGE amount of their first four years to the Universities, this is some good give back, if done without abuse.
Old 06-13-17, 01:25 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I'd agree with that change.

Before the rule was implemented, what other options did the kids have? Few go pro so it was get on with life. That's ok but the opportunity to get a Masters, which more and more vocations are requiring of their employees, this is great. Athletes give a HUGE amount of their first four years to the Universities, this is some good give back, if done without abuse.
And the athletes get a HUGE amount back.
Old 06-13-17, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
absolutely but make no mistake, it's a tough life. I don't empathize from first hand experience but my college roommate was a walk-on. I got a look at his daily grind, it's to be respected.

Do you feel that the HUGE amount they get back as undergrads is somehow a reason to not like this grad rule, that permits them to get even more HUGE back? Or were you changing subject? Just making comment? I'm not sure if you were making a relevant comment or not.
Old 06-13-17, 04:29 PM
All Ohio

Any athlete that goes from the train wreck of DPS to Boston college, should get a school named after him and a statue. More of those types, I dont care the path/route/reason to get there.
Old 06-14-17, 11:04 AM
All American

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Because I corrected a detail of how the rule is implemented? Other than that, I thought we were in agreement? You posted that you think it was a great rule and I posted why I think its a great rule.
Preesh Bro!
Old 06-15-17, 07:23 AM
All Region

If you don't...

Quote:
Hush!!! What "HUGE" amount do they get back??? These universities been getting over for years!!!
Old 06-15-17, 07:27 AM
All District

Try paying for college today. Most kids would rather play a sport every day than pay $200k for school.
Old 06-15-17, 12:32 PM
All Ohio

Athletes get nothing back financially when compared to what the schools get in comparison. Schools that have an Athletic department that bring significant revenue should be mandated to treat their student-athletes as employees who have signed a legally binding document.
Old 06-15-17, 03:19 PM
All Region

Tuhhhhh...

Quote:
Try paying for college today. Most kids would rather play a sport every day than pay $200k for school.
Most kids couldn't handle being an athlete student. Stop!!!