Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-26-17, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Layoffs Today at ESPN

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-o...ffs-1794664091
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-17, 10:03 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
ESPN trimming 100 jobs, including some we know

The sports leader, ESPN, is not immune to layoffs and cutbacks. Today, ESPN announced they are laying off approximately 100 employees, including some on air staff. John Buccigross and Ed Werder the two biggest names I've seen so far...

Reaction???
Old 04-26-17, 10:04 AM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ir-talent.html

I didn't really recognize any names of those that tweeted but I don't watch ESPN much except for live events.
Old 04-26-17, 10:04 AM
All American

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
My reaction is there's already a thread: http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302054
Old 04-26-17, 10:07 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Not surprising, IMO. I believe they've had a couple other rounds of layoffs in recent years. Instant sports coverage and reactions via social media has hurt SportsCenter, and they also have a lot of crappy unpopular daytime programming.

There are simply too many other options to receive instant sports news throughout the day, and it would seem that their attempts to politicize some sports events/figures through a PC lens in recent years has bit them in the arse. Outside of live events they just don't seem to have much value any more.
Old 04-26-17, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

As many expected SC anchor John Buccigross (whose contract expires in July) is out.
Old 04-26-17, 10:08 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Good to see they kept Stephan A Smith and Mark May. They and ESPN deserve each other.
Old 04-26-17, 10:19 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
You mean the SJW crowd doesn't follow sports closely enough to support the network? Shocking. That's what happens when you try to shove the likes of Jemele Hill, Stephen A, Kate Fagan, Sarah Spain, and Bomani Jones down viewer's throats. Unfortunately, none of those azz clowns are the ones getting the boot.
Old 04-26-17, 10:24 AM
All World

I'm indifferent towards Rusillo, but Karl Ravech and Hannah Storm are two of their best anchors.
Old 04-26-17, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
As many expected SC anchor John Buccigross (whose contract expires in July) is out.
The source on Buccigross is now walking back her initial report:
https://twitter.com/MarisaGuthrie/st...51493065482241
Old 04-26-17, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I heard Ed Werter's gone. I think they should have let Stephen A escape to Fox with Bayless.
Old 04-26-17, 10:37 AM
All World

https://www.google.com/amp/www.outki...42617.amp.html
Old 04-26-17, 10:48 AM
All American

Jesus, everything is about SJW's with people like pboy.

Just because women ruined your high school and college years by refusing to touch you doesn't mean they are out to ruin your life in all areas.

ESPN is failing because their model outside of live games is outdated. People don't need to sit around and watch Sportscenter to find out who won a game. They can find every stat they need within about 10 seconds. They also allowed the same format of show(two loud people yelling hot takes at each other) to dominate their programming. That format was popular briefly but has now worn out its welcome.

Additionally, fewer people subscribe to cable now and stream their sports through other sources both legal & illegal.

The explanation has to do with a changing market place that ESPN, like most massive brands, was slow to adapt to.
Old 04-26-17, 10:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post

Just because women ruined your high school and college years by refusing to touch you doesn't mean they are out to ruin your life in all areas.

ESPN is failing because their model outside of live games is outdated. People don't need to sit around and watch Sportscenter to find out who won a game. They can find every stat they need within about 10 seconds. They also allowed the same format of show(two loud people yelling hot takes at each other) to dominate their programming. That format was popular briefly but has now worn out its welcome.

Additionally, fewer people subscribe to cable now and stream their sports through other sources both legal & illegal.

The explanation has to do with a changing market place that ESPN, like most massive brands, was slow to adapt to.
Lebatard, Stephen A, Darren Rovel are women? I even said it's bs that Hannah Storm is having her role reduced bc she's a great anchor. Linda Cohn and Chris McKendry were also very good.
Old 04-26-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
First ones to go should have been the ones who played a big role in their downfall like Jamele Hill with such brutal content. Of course we all know Disney isn't about to go non-PC with their layoffs. Nothing like watching an entire show of someone talking about LeBron's shopping habits.
Old 04-26-17, 11:02 AM
All Yappi

The big problem seems to be they are oversaturated with lucrative contractual obligations for live event coverage just as cable subscription has peaked and started to spiral downward. The SportsCenter program model is antiquated and outdated due to social media.

As much as people might not want to admit it, the PC SJW angle has hurt them as well. It seems like a desperate and failed attempt to reel people in that has instead turned many diehards away. Over the years they've lost a lot of great personalities and replaced them with politicized chuckleheads like Jemele Hill. Their daytime programming by and large is awful and unwatchable.

What was once a cable network titan is going to be in deep chit financially in the coming years unless they can figure out how to adapt to live event streaming competition, instant information and reactions via social media, and create more palatable daytime programming that actually appeals to the type of people who listen/watch to talk shows during the work day.
Old 04-26-17, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
I mostly agree. The big problem seems to be they are oversaturated with lucrative contractual obligations for live event coverage just as cable subscription has peaked and started to spiral downward. The SportsCenter program model is antiquated and outdated due to social media.

As much as people might not want to admit it, the PC SJW angle has hurt them as well. It seems like a desperate and failed attempt to reel people in that has instead turned many diehards away.
Agreed. All of this played a big factor including the SJW angle. I can't wait for the day when my cable company gives me the option to select my content on a channel by channel basis. I have to think that day is coming. ESPN's channels will be the first to go for me. Plus their back channel dealing and being the ones controlling all of the conference expansion wasn't a good look either. How much have they lost with just the Longhorn network alone? Isn't something like $65 million?
Old 04-26-17, 11:07 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Seriously can't believe they are retaining Jamele Hill while letting some of these others go.
Old 04-26-17, 11:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Agreed. All of this played a big factor including the SJW angle. I can't wait for the day when my cable company gives me the option to select my content on a channel by channel basis. I have to think that day is coming. ESPN's channels will be the first to go for me. Plus their back channel dealing and being the ones controlling all of the conference expansion wasn't a good look either. How much have they lost with the Longhorn network? Isn't something like $65 million?
Ala carte cable subscriptions would cripple ESPN at their current coverage rates, let alone the rates I assume they will be jumping to in the coming years to cover their live event obligations.

The Longhorn Network was an incredibly poorly conceived idea, moreso in light of how bad Texas football and basketball have been over the last few years. I don't think $65 million in losses is too far off. They lost close to $50 million in the first five years of production.
Old 04-26-17, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
The Longhorn Network was an incredibly poorly conceived idea, moreso in light of how bad Texas football and basketball have been over the last few years. I don't think $65 million in losses is too far off. They lost close to $50 million in the first five years of production.
Exactly. Yet, correct me if I'm wrong, no ESPN executives are apart of the layoffs.
Old 04-26-17, 11:25 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Seriously can't believe they are retaining Jamele Hill while letting some of these others go.
They just got rid of the 6 PM to give her and Michael Smith their own show.
Old 04-26-17, 11:37 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post

Actually IMO a BIG part of ESPN's problems are associated with the Social Justice Warriors who now infest it's management and announcer ranks. Taking a political stance when your meat & potatoes is SPORTS is stupid. By going all in for left wing social issues ESPN turned off their conservative viewers AND those viewers who don't like politics and don't want to see or hear it when they're watching sports shows. That's a lot of people, probably more then 80% of the public.

Like a lot of folks I only watch ESPN's live sports programming. The "sports" shows are a joke and I just can't get excited about transgender beach volleyball - no matter how edgy it is.

As an aside Neo, you have to be the first self declared conservative & republican leaning person I've seen who didn't loath SJW's in their every incantation. Makes me wonder just how "conservative/republican" you really are. I also don't understand your comment about "women" as SJW's come in all sexes including male, female, trans, cis, & not sure!
Old 04-26-17, 11:47 AM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
They just got rid of the 6 PM to give her and Michael Smith their own show.
...hopefully it will air at 3:00AM, I can't stand her!
Old 04-26-17, 11:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...hopefully it will air at 3:00AM, I can't stand her!
It's been on for like a month. Also, nobody wants to hear female analysts or announcers for men's sports. Jessica Mendoza has RUINED Sunday Night baseball. Sorry, it's just the truth.
Old 04-26-17, 12:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
As an aside Neo, you have to be the first self declared conservative & republican leaning person I've seen who didn't loath SJW's in their every incantation. Makes me wonder just how "conservative/republican" you really are.
Who said I didn't?

I loathe SJW's for the fact that, among other reasons, they see politics as the dominant factor in every single thing in life, and operate with emotion rather than logic. It just so happens, you do the exact same thing. You're nothing more than two sides of the same coin.

ESPN is failing because people no longer need to watch a program to receive sports updates, and they miscalculated how many people would cord cut.

To believe a primary cause of this was a "SJW stance" by ESPN, is trying to simplify the entire world to fit your world view. A very SJW thing to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

pboy falls into this trap because he was traumatized by being sexually humiliated during his formative years. Not sure why you do.
Old 04-26-17, 12:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Flamenco View Post
Exactly. Yet, correct me if I'm wrong, no ESPN executives are apart of the layoffs.
I cannot understand how ESPN president John Skipper hasn't been let go. He's the one who caused this mess by agreeing to the exorbitant rights fees to the NFL, NBA and colleges. Especially in light how of quick Disney was to fire former COO/CFO/chairman of Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs and former studio chiefs Dick Cook and Rich Ross.
Old 04-26-17, 12:21 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Actually IMO a BIG part of ESPN's problems are associated with the Social Justice Warriors who now infest it's management and announcer ranks. Taking a political stance when your meat & potatoes is SPORTS is stupid. By going all in for left wing social issues ESPN turned off their conservative viewers AND those viewers who don't like politics and don't want to see or hear it when they're watching sports shows. That's a lot of people, probably more then 80% of the public.

Like a lot of folks I only watch ESPN's live sports programming. The "sports" shows are a joke and I just can't get excited about transgender beach volleyball - no matter how edgy it is.

As an aside Neo, you have to be the first self declared conservative & republican leaning person I've seen who didn't loath SJW's in their every incantation. Makes me wonder just how "conservative/republican" you really are. I also don't understand your comment about "women" as SJW's come in all sexes including male, female, trans, cis, & not sure!
"If you don't agree with me 100% you're a liberal!" Classic.
Old 04-26-17, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
lotr10 is synonymous with BlueJayFan.
Old 04-26-17, 12:25 PM
All World

Danny Kannell is out
Old 04-26-17, 12:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS 2001 View Post
I cannot understand how ESPN president John Skipper hasn't been let go. He's the one who caused this mess by agreeing to the exorbitant rights fees to the NFL, NBA and colleges. Especially in light how of quick Disney was to fire former COO/CFO/chairman of Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs and former studio chiefs Dick Cook and Rich Ross.
I'm surprised by this too. This falls on John Skippers lap. The Longhorn Network, failure to adapt to the changing viewership market, cutting likable on air talent while keeping garbage. There aren't many likable things on ESPN anymore. Even the 30 for 30's have gone downhill, not coincidentally when Bill Simmons was let go. I just hope guys like SVP get out of there sooner than later.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: