Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-14-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
At the risk of turning this thread into the Debate board I would note the following:

1) * I don't think you'll find to many people wanting us to go back to the 1930's/1940's which is when the Southerner took place. I think you mistake the longing for a return to the 1950's/early 1960's. Those times were not perfect of course and they had their issues with equality but there was a lot to commend them from a purely economic and cultural standpoint.

2) * And I stand by my comment that times were a lot tougher with a whole lot more people living in true poverty back then. In fact given the absence of welfare, section 8 housing, food stamps, medicaid and a myriad of other social welfare programs your suggestion that this isn't so is laughable.

3) * True the people who came out of the hard scrabble world of the Southerner went on to create the world we live in today. But I suspect the overwhelming majority of them would be horrified at the sense of entitlement and stifling of the work ethic some of these policies have led to. As often is the case for human beings in trying to rectify past wrongs we tend to swing the pendulum to far in the opposite direction.

4) * As for them being a tougher breed, it seems self evident to me that they were. However, I'm open to being persuaded differently if you could enlighten me on what your statement "could apply their toughness to new things" actually means.

1) read the debate board.

2) and you've come out consistently against every policy that has made a middle class.

3) because you globally call these policies, "entitlements" as opposed to the "investments" many of them were and are.

4) Movies are written for those that heroically succeeded. They're "heros" because of the relativity of the multitudes that failed. I can't choose for you your romantic notions. If you prefer to think people were "tougher" then, that's fine. They were the generation that initiated many of the governmental and industrial social programs upon which you dogmatically come out against. That's for you to rationalize or ignore. I see "toughness" everyday, people working hard for the NEXT generation.
Old 07-14-17, 12:52 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
1) read the debate board.

2) and you've come out consistently against every policy that has made a middle class.

3) because you globally call these policies, "entitlements" as opposed to the "investments" many of them were and are.

4) Movies are written for those that heroically succeeded. They're "heros" because of the relativity of the multitudes that failed. I can't choose for you your romantic notions. If you prefer to think people were "tougher" then, that's fine. They were the generation that initiated many of the governmental and industrial social programs upon which you dogmatically come out against. That's for you to rationalize or ignore. I see "toughness" everyday, people working hard for the NEXT generation.
Gee EIB I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic as I'll never agree with your Noam Chomsky interpretation of history. It fly's in the face of everything I've read on these topics.

But I would be interested in seeing some examples where I come against ALL these policies? I actually agree with the need for a social welfare safety net in a capitalist system and I would never want to live in a completely uncontrolled, Laissez Faire capitalist society.

I suspect the Libertarian folks on Yappi would be shocked to learn I was one of them as you seem to indicate! As a Trump supporter I back a populist interpretation of how best to govern America and populism believes in and supports actions that are aimed at the best interests of all the citizens of a country and not just what makes the most economic sense. Like everything it's a balance of course: to much welfare is bad and to little welfare is bad. The trick is getting the balance right.
Old 07-14-17, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The Purge 3: Election Day (2016)

Horror: A senator running for president who states that she will end the purge if elected is targeted during the purge. Ok, well, it is starting to get better but could of done without the political crap which basically this whole movie was about and should of focused on the story lines of what was going on out in the streets.... 4.0/8
Old 07-15-17, 10:43 AM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Baby Driver- 7.25/8. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Excellent movie.
Old 07-15-17, 11:31 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
John Wick 2 - 4.5/8
Old 07-15-17, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

Al-qasr al-mal'oun (Egypt-1962)

Horror: "The Cursed Palace" Nothing like an old foreign horror with broken English subtitles. This was in Arabic which I know nothing so I definitely got lost but for the most part I got the gist of the movie. A lawyer helps put a will together for a wealthy dying man who wants everything to go to his daughter. Well, of course this pisses off some others which leads to some strange occurrences.... 4.0/8
Old 07-16-17, 10:47 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Gun Crazy (1950) - Fine film noir crime spree film a la Bonnie and Clyde. I am a sucker for a femme fatale and Peggy Cummins does not disapoint in her tight cowgirl outfit. I don't know if I would have robbed a bank for her, but I would have seriously thought about it.

6/8
Old 07-16-17, 01:51 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
War of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5/8

A great end to a fantastic trilogy.
Old 07-17-17, 08:33 AM
All World

Patriots Day - Good and very detailed story of the Boston Marathon Bombing and the aftermath. A bit long going more than two hours but they really need the time to give all the detail they convey.

6/8
Old 07-17-17, 06:07 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Shane(1953) Thanks to Purple Mojo, I have rediscovered TCM. Alan Ladd plays a reformed gunfighter in Wyoming during the land wars between large ranchers and homesteaders aka "squatters" of the 1800s. A pretty typical Western produced in the time period of the forties and fifties. Probably a good flick at the time, but somewhat ho-hum today. Good points, typical of shoot 'em ups: great scenery and music, horses (and a "scruffy dog"), fist fights and gun play. Missing was a really, really attractive Chiquita or two. An okay movie to watch when there is nothing better to see/do.

5/8 (scenery and horses being worth a point)
Old 07-17-17, 06:52 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
War of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5/8

A great end to a fantastic trilogy.
It is continuing btw
Old 07-17-17, 07:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Shane(1953) Thanks to Purple Mojo, I have rediscovered TCM. Alan Ladd plays a reformed gunfighter in Wyoming during the land wars between large ranchers and homesteaders aka "squatters" of the 1800s. A pretty typical Western produced in the time period of the forties and fifties. Probably a good flick at the time, but somewhat ho-hum today. Good points, typical of shoot 'em ups: great scenery and music, horses (and a "scruffy dog"), fist fights and gun play. Missing was a really, really attractive Chiquita or two. An okay movie to watch when there is nothing better to see/do.

5/8 (scenery and horses being worth a point)
I am glad you found this one EG. I grade it much higher, but I understand what viewing old films through contemporary eyes can do. There is a lot of subtlety in most old films. This is one of my favorite Westerns and the fist fight in the bar is fantastic. I have this film at a solid 7/8.
Old 07-17-17, 08:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
I am glad you found this one EG. I grade it much higher, but I understand what viewing old films through contemporary eyes can do. There is a lot of subtlety in most old films. This is one of my favorite Westerns and the fist fight in the bar is fantastic. I have this film at a solid 7/8.
Agree that had I seen the movie between the release and the early seventies, I would rated it higher. FWIW, I'm harder now on classic tv Westerns like Gunsmoke and Bonanza (when I catch a glimpse). Still, the stories, scenery, lifestyles and all remain great!
Old 07-18-17, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
War for the Planet of the Apes: 6.75/8

not quite a "war" per say, but a satisfying ending to a great trilogy. I think Dawn may be a little better of a film, but its always hard to compare a movie you've seen once to a movie you've seen many, many times.

It's a shame that Andy Serkis probably won't be formally recognized for his work until well after he's done acting.
Old 07-18-17, 10:39 AM
All World

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Spider-Man Homecoming: 6.5/8
Old 07-18-17, 04:06 PM
All Yappi

Black Mass (2015) ... 4.0/8

Not nearly as good as I thought it would be.
Old 07-18-17, 09:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
It is continuing btw
Yes. Saw it mentioned on the morning news a few days ago. What I remember is that the time will be a couple years after the last movie. And, the apes' emotions will be apparent (more-so than before).

Get your hands off of me, you damn dirty human!
Old 07-19-17, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

Hardcore Henry (Russia-2015) ... 2.0/8

Action... 90 minutes of action in 1st person perspective = severe headache. This one plays like a video game....
Old 07-20-17, 08:42 PM
All Yappi

Nightmare on the 13th Floor (1990)

Horror: A woman witnesses a murder at a hotel that does not exist... is she going crazy or is there a hidden floor. This movie could of ended in 5 minutes if somebody would of taken the stairs... lol, oh well... not too shabby ... 4.0/8

Victor Frankenstein (2015)

Horror: With the help of a circus hunchback Victor creates life from death.... well, we all know the story by now... this one cast Victor as an eccentric mad doctor and that boy wizard is cast as the hunchback Igor. Did not like this at first but it grew on me as it went on..... 5.0/8
Old 07-20-17, 09:07 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Lion- 7/8
Old 07-21-17, 06:53 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
The Accountant: 5/8

Fun action flick that also sheds a little light on Autism.
Old 07-21-17, 07:24 AM
All World

The Wasp Woman (1960) - Everything one would expect at a drive-in double feature in 1960.

2.5/8
Old 07-21-17, 04:41 PM
All Yappi

Life 1/8 Stupid characters doing predicatably stupid things in order to progress a done to death plot. Made me wish I had more than just two eyes to poke out.
Old 07-21-17, 09:34 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Life 1/8 Stupid characters doing predicatably stupid things in order to progress a done to death plot. Made me wish I had more than just two eyes to poke out.
You talking about with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence? I really enjoyed that movie lol.
Old 07-21-17, 10:57 PM
All World

Descartes is an unknown quantity at this point
Dunkirk 7/8.
Old 07-22-17, 06:04 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest
You talking about with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence? I really enjoyed that movie lol.
No, it's a 2017 movie with a bunch of big stars, The old, dirt from Mars with life lets do as many stupid things as we can to be annihilate. Would have worked MUCH better with Murphy and Lawrence. In fact, it would be hilarious. I'd watch that.
Old 07-22-17, 06:40 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

6.5/8

Here's the review I posted on the actual movie thread:

If you liked the Star Trek & Star Wars movies, Babylon 5, Avatar & The 5th Element you will love this movie. If you didn't like those movies/TV shows you probably won't like this movie. Bottom line is if you're a science fiction nerd sit back and enjoy. All others be warned!

First the "negatives": The story is nothing special and I'm sold on the two leads.

Now the "positives": The movie is a grand space opera with some of the cleverest and most beautiful special effects I have ever seen. The movies best parts are truly inventive with breathtaking CGI work. The future tech concepts are very cool and the civilization has a lived in feel to it that makes it easier to be drawn in to the story.
Old 07-22-17, 02:23 PM
Freshman

PNWGuy is on a distinguished road
Saw The Big Sick about 10 days ago, true story. Gave it 8/10. Saw Dunkirk last night, also 8/10. Not as good as Saving Private Ryan, but good movie overall.
Old 07-22-17, 04:36 PM
All American

Moonfleet (1955) Stewart Granger - Smugglers in old England. 6/8

From the NYT review below:

It is a tale of high adventure along the English coast, back in the mid-eighteenth century, when smuggling and brigandage were rife. A small boy, orphaned and homeless, places himself in the hands of a handsome renegade, to whom he had been directed by his mother before she died. And under the grudging protection of this ruthless but essentially gallant man, the lad has some frightening and thrilling experiences among the smugglers, cutthroats and thieves.

and

Thunderstorms crash in the night, wind howls around ancient graves and lanterns sputter in ruined mansions where the rascals meet to plot foul deeds. But there's no more excitement in it than there is in a trunk of old costumes. Mr. Lang has got everything in "Moonfleet" except a reason for your slightest concern.

Yet, I liked this old flick.

http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?...B066838E649EDE
Old 07-22-17, 05:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Moonfleet (1955) Stewart Granger - Smugglers in old England. 6/8

From the NYT review below:

It is a tale of high adventure along the English coast, back in the mid-eighteenth century, when smuggling and brigandage were rife. A small boy, orphaned and homeless, places himself in the hands of a handsome renegade, to whom he had been directed by his mother before she died. And under the grudging protection of this ruthless but essentially gallant man, the lad has some frightening and thrilling experiences among the smugglers, cutthroats and thieves.
Its funny that, for how prolific Stewart Granger was, I have only seen a couple of his films:

Young Bess (1953) as Thomas Seymour

Beau Brummell (1954) as Beau Brummell

I did enjoy those two. I guess I will have to see Moonfleet now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: