Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-14-17, 02:24 PM
All World

3out2in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
What difference does it make if a kid decides to attend a school in 8th or 9th grade as opposed to 10th or 11th? You think that top hoops players are magically just deciding to enroll at VASJ in 9th grade without visiting the school, talking to coaches, participating in camps, or without some expectation that the basketball team will be competitive? This is a huge advantage for private schools in the way they build their rosters. That "98" number indicates that, despite what some have claimed, these aren't all neighborhood kids who are coming to play ball for the Vikings. Why should some public schools be unfairly bashed because they have found ways to also play that game?
You go a long way to try and say there's no difference between a kid who transfers to start their high school career and one who transfers half way through. Unfortunately, the OHSAA doesn't agree with you. Their transfer rules don't apply to 8th graders, but to high schoolers who decide to transfer. Btw, are you implying that Garfield Hts is somehow being "unfairly bashed?"
Old 06-14-17, 05:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Actually I believe the OHSAA competitive balance ruling effects students as early as 7th grade, but I could be wrong. Regardless that's not the point I am making. You're bending over backwards to defend a program that "plays the game" as well as any regarding to stocking talent on its basketball roster. It's doubtful that Gafney attends his neighborhood Catholic school if that school didn't also happen to be a lower division hoops powerhouse.
Nice try but not defending them or any other private school (and I was talking about transfer rules, not competitive balance). My original post said that most VASJ folks seem to be wishing the kid well. You seem to have an obsession with them. Not sure why, don't really care to know.
Old 06-14-17, 06:35 PM
All District

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
Nice try but not defending them or any other private school (and I was talking about transfer rules, not competitive balance). My original post said that most VASJ folks seem to be wishing the kid well. You seem to have an obsession with them. Not sure why, don't really care to know.
Most of the VASJ folks who posted on this thread are not okay with this change.
Old 06-14-17, 08:07 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Whatever makes you feel better chief. Seems like a lot of them wished him well even though they disagreed with the family's decision.
Old 06-14-17, 09:23 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3out2in View Post
Whatever makes you feel better chief. Seems like a lot of them wished him well even though they disagreed with the family's decision.
It would seem that you are the one trying to feel better. Bottom line, some fans will defend their team/school when a top player moves in by saying it's because of the offered education. When that player moves out, the parents are shopping him.

Last edited by spirit454; 06-14-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-14-17, 09:36 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I don't know of anyone on this thread or any other thread, that are "ok" with transfers, particularly after the sophomore year. It is a sad commentary about society today. There is a 6 or 7 page basketball string on a Lutheran school in Cleveland Hts specifically on that topic alone. But just about everyone I know in the VASJ community, (fellow students, teachers, coaches, parents, and alums) care about Alonzo and wish him well. At the end of the day, he is still a kid and we all hope it works out well for him.
Old 06-15-17, 07:25 AM
All District

Transfers happen, kids move, parents change jobs, families split, it's life. What most people do not like is recruiting that causes transfers.
Old 06-15-17, 09:38 AM
All District

ndforever1967 is on a distinguished road
VASJ and SVSM both D2. Hoping OHSAA assigns these two teams in different regions and they won't play each other until Final Four.
Old 06-15-17, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
VASJ and SVSM both D2. Hoping OHSAA assigns these two teams in different regions and they won't play each other until Final Four.
That'll be up to the NE district board. They could find a way to throw either team into that DII district with the Lorain and Medina County schools that traditionally goes to the NW for regionals.
Old 06-15-17, 10:48 AM
All World

Quote:
So you make this personal and then pretend not to care?

A self-proclaimed public school supporter going to great lengths to defend VASJ while bashing other public schools for playing the same game? Now I've seen it all!
The 2 aren't mutually exclusive are they? You were making statements about their fans that weren't true. Didn't see much bitterness from them. I also defended them on this because GH has a reputation for transfers halfway through high school and VASJ doesn't. Again, I don't know why you're bitter toward them and I don't care.
Old 06-15-17, 11:06 AM
Varsity

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndforever1967 View Post
I wonder if a majority of fans would rather have them in the same region, to guarantee that both of them DON'T make it back to Columbus.
Old 06-15-17, 12:35 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Education is a major factor to most parents when sending a child to VASJ - even parents of athletes. Mr.Gaffney is on the record of saying this is strictly a basketball decision. That tells me he is not happy with something basketball related (position, touches, discipline, etc). Sonny is a snake oil salesman. Sure he has sent kids to college and he also failed to get control of one who ended up in prison. He has also had very talented teams under perform greatly. Zo is very talented but he struggled when Joe's played against kids bigger than him - there are going to be some tough kids in that conference Garfield plays in. I hope education does not come back and bite him when scholarship time rolls around.
Old 06-15-17, 01:06 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Transfers happen, kids move, parents change jobs, families split, it's life. What most people do not like is recruiting that causes transfers.
You're right. As soon as Sonny gets the lease signed on that apartment in Garfield, it won't be recruiting anymore, it will just be a transfer.
Old 06-15-17, 09:10 PM
All World

Quote:
It's not about bitterness, it's a simple statement of fact that you cannot refute so you have to bring go ad hominem. Some public schools have decided that in order to compete they have to attract talent in a manner similar to that of some of the more competitive private schools. What these schools do in attracting talent, regardless of grade level, is not that different from what VASJ does.
I've stated the difference. Read my last post. Just because you call it fact, doesn't make it so. If you still can't figure it out, that's on you.
Old 06-15-17, 09:15 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you implying Sonny recruited the kid? Shocking!
Old 06-16-17, 04:57 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
Are you implying Sonny recruited the kid? Shocking!
Not at all. I don't know who Sonny is. What I said was kids change schools for many reasons, accept it. The schools, coaches, parents and boosters are the ones we should not be okay with, and private schools, for survival, recruit students regularly.
Old 06-22-17, 05:40 PM
Junior Varsity

vikingsforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Benny Boy

you are the hater. You have a real hard on for the Vikings. Can you count to 7? We good.
Old 06-23-17, 12:25 PM
All Region

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm.1019 View Post
I wonder if a majority of fans would rather have them in the same region, to guarantee that both of them DON'T make it back to Columbus.
That's definitely what I want
Old 07-01-17, 07:55 PM
Junior Varsity

Bennie Boyie

you have proven your point that you can count. My bad. OH, there is just one issue. This is a basketball thread. The problem is that you cannot read and comprehend. Get back to school you neophyte.
Old 07-06-17, 01:18 PM
Junior Varsity

Benedict,

a word does not exist to describe your ignorance. I am finding it difficult to believe that you have a connection with the Home of Champions. However, I will still cheer for the Bengals.
Old 07-23-17, 09:20 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Alex heath to Garfield too.
Old 07-24-17, 07:03 AM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Alex heath to Garfield too.
Jeez, does this kid just pick a new school each year? I'm all for the ability to transfer, but it's becoming ridiculous among the basketball players.
Old 07-24-17, 05:19 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I would not be surprised with the high level players that are transferring in that Garfield gets hit with some kind of recruiting violation this season.
Old 07-25-17, 08:01 AM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I would not be surprised with the high level players that are transferring in that Garfield gets hit with some kind of recruiting violation this season.
Besides Heath and Gaffney who else?
Old 07-25-17, 02:17 PM
Junior Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
People that compare VASJ to Garfield have no clue. VASJ recruits. Believe it but it is done in a "professional manner" and rarely done in the high school years.

Sonny keeps his hands clean but has his people getting it done. He is a great promoter. Today's athlete loves Sonny.

Garfield and Lutheran East are trend setters.
Garfield got Brison Waller (6'8) from Rhodes last year
This year
Graves (Lutheran East)
Gafney (VASJ)
Heath (CCC)

Lutheran East somehow got a great guard from Solon. Nice shooter. plus 4 or 5 more transfers.

LE is closer to being a D2 school (competitive balance) in one year than a D4 school (last year). I think LE has a solid chance to get to D3 regionals and beyond.

Are transfers going away at the collegiate level? Expect more of the same at the high school level and coaches like Sonny and Jones are riding the wave.
Old 07-27-17, 10:46 AM
Varsity

oldbwalum is on a distinguished road
Doing it for years

Sonny with his summertime shenanigans has been recruiting kids for years. He just does it better than all the others. OHSAA can care less - that's obvious.

Shame it's not about academics at all for these parents making these decisions for their future LBJ's.

With that, go get a scholarship and it's all good.
Old 07-27-17, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They have a competitive balance figure of 98, so they obviously do not have their players coming up thru their feeder schools.
^^^^This....but you know how nobody appreciates facts
Old 07-27-17, 01:11 PM
All District

CleveHoopFan08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwalum View Post
Sonny with his summertime shenanigans has been recruiting kids for years. He just does it better than all the others. OHSAA can care less - that's obvious.

Shame it's not about academics at all for these parents making these decisions for their future LBJ's.

With that, go get a scholarship and it's all good.
Maybe Gaffney, Heath and Graves were advised to go because of better coaching??
Old 07-27-17, 01:53 PM
Varsity

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
I have to chime in

Sonny, great at talking guys up. Energetic

But you cannot convince me that Garfield has ANYTHING on VASJ
Academics
Coaching
Player development (on and off the court)
Old 07-27-17, 07:07 PM
All American

bluengold
Article posted today on Cleveland.com regarding the transfers

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/bl...re_back_a.html