Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-28-17, 10:15 AM
All District

Flying Wedge is on a distinguished road
Losing Records.....But In Playoffs

Two DVII schools, Valley Christian and Warren JFK from Region 25, have made the playoffs with 4-6 season records.

Neither team is expected to reach Week 12 even though JFK is the defending State Champion.

Congratulations to both schools, but let's face it, both of them backed in and benefitted from playing in what is arguably the weakest overall Region in the state.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-17, 10:16 AM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Wedge View Post
Two DVII schools, Valley Christian and Warren JFK from Region 25, have made the playoffs with 4-6 season records.

Neither team is expected to reach Week 12 even though JFK is the defending State Champion.

Congratulations to both schools, but let's face it, both of them backed in and benefitted from playing in what is arguably the weakest overall Region in the state.
Valley Christian plays today and likely wins getting to 5-5
Old 10-28-17, 11:50 AM
All District

Flying Wedge is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
Valley Christian plays today and likely wins getting to 5-5
Thanks for the correction, kingpin. Looks as if JFK may be the only playoff contender (in any division) with a losing record.

Incidentally, no team with a losing record has ever won a postseason game.
Old 10-28-17, 11:55 AM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Wedge View Post
Thanks for the correction, kingpin. Looks as if JFK may be the only playoff contender (in any division) with a losing record.

Incidentally, no team with a losing record has ever won a postseason game.
I don't think that will change either, Cuyahoga Heights is a huge favorite over JFK
Old 10-28-17, 10:53 PM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Everybody is forgetting about Moeller. 4-6 And will be in region 4.
Old 10-28-17, 11:17 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
Everybody is forgetting about Moeller. 4-6 And will be in region 4.
I'm glad my alma mater got in, but feel bad Elder got screwed because one of their opponents had a game cancelled tonight.
Old 10-29-17, 12:00 AM
All Ohio

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I'm glad my alma mater got in, but feel bad Elder got screwed because one of their opponents had a game cancelled tonight.
From what I read the game got postponed due to tropical storms and not canceled and it has been moved to Monday.
Old 10-29-17, 12:17 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
From what I read the game got postponed due to tropical storms and not canceled and it has been moved to Monday.
What's the deadline for games to count? Wouldn't Monday be too late
Old 10-29-17, 12:40 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
The game has to be played by the time OHSAA makes the harbin points seeding official. Regardless the reason a game was postponed or cancelled. Just as in Ohio, it's just a 'game not played' for points purposes.
Old 10-29-17, 08:28 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
I guess that's the down side of playing out-of-state schools
Old 10-29-17, 08:42 AM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
ELder fan here.

Elder has no one to blame but themselves. Essentially their playoffs started Friday and they lost at LaSalle.
Old 10-29-17, 08:56 AM
All American

ElderHSfan02 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ElderHSfan02
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
ELder fan here.

Elder has no one to blame but themselves. Essentially their playoffs started Friday and they lost at LaSalle.
Really? You are going to throw it all on the kids? They had to go at Lasalle in the rain. They did not play their best game offensively which is disappointing. They also showed a lot of heart not quitting. They had a game winning TD wiped out by either a very inept ref or maybe he was a biased ref. Not sure which one he was. The team did everything they could against a ridiculously hard schedule. I'm sorry. The team can hold their heads high. They did what they could and it was just not good enough thanks to a flawed computer system.

Teams with losing records should not be allowed in the playoffs. Sorry Moeller. I have respect for your program, but 4-6 should not get in. I don't care how difficult your schedule was.
Old 10-29-17, 09:23 AM
All Region

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderHSfan02 View Post
Really? You are going to throw it all on the kids? They had to go at Lasalle in the rain. They did not play their best game offensively which is disappointing. They also showed a lot of heart not quitting. They had a game winning TD wiped out by either a very inept ref or maybe he was a biased ref. Not sure which one he was. The team did everything they could against a ridiculously hard schedule. I'm sorry. The team can hold their heads high. They did what they could and it was just not good enough thanks to a flawed computer system.

Teams with losing records should not be allowed in the playoffs. Sorry Moeller. I have respect for your program, but 4-6 should not get in. I don't care how difficult your schedule was.
This post wins the award for whiniest of the year! I can literally see you stomping your foot as you typed that it was raining, the ref was biased, the scedule was hard and the system was flawed.
Old 10-29-17, 09:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws31 View Post
This post wins the award for whiniest of the year! I can literally see you stomping your foot as you typed that it was raining, the ref was biased, the scedule was hard and the system was flawed.
I'm just saying the weather is always the great equalizer and it played a factor. The team played well all year against a difficult schedule.

I stand by the bad call also. The game is on youtube. It's not like I'm going off of a memory with blinders. You can go watch it. No holding on the play.
Old 10-29-17, 09:46 AM
Junior Varsity

NEOBuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm just saying the weather is always the great equalizer and it played a factor. The team played well all year against a difficult schedule.

I stand by the bad call also. The game is on youtube. It's not like I'm going off of a memory with blinders. You can go watch it. No holding on the play.
You are probably right. That ref probably woke up and decided to find a way to screw your team out of a win Friday night. That ref went into that game with his "bias" and made sure your team lost.
Old 10-29-17, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupanther View Post
What's the deadline for games to count? Wouldn't Monday be too late

You are right.Just read where Elder is out.Would have needed a win from International school who they won against a few weeks ago against Goleman which may have been unlikely anyway since they have only won once all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-17, 09:59 AM
All District

Deareye is on a distinguished road
Refs can make a HUGE difference on outcomes.
It happens, lets not act like it don't.
But it's part of the game unfortunately.
Old 10-29-17, 10:07 AM
All District

Eagles123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deareye View Post
Refs can make a HUGE difference on outcomes.
It happens, lets not act like it don't.
But it's part of the game unfortunately.
Refs never win or lose a game for a team in any sport. There are plenty of times during games to make refs irrelevant. Teams should look in the mirror and figure out what they could have done better rather than looking for a scapegoat.
Old 10-29-17, 10:12 AM
All District

I've seen plenty of bad calls in my time. But more than bad calls I see stupid turnovers, stupid penalties, lack of execution etc. That is what costs teams games. People are forever blaming others. That's why we fall behind the world in education. Accept responsibility. GCL schools are always blaming losses on others because they couldn't possibly have messed up.
Old 10-29-17, 10:16 AM
All Region

wrestlingdad3 is on a distinguished road
While Elder fans are crying about the refs......please watch the YouTube broadcast they are referring to and check out their drive to score their only points. A bogus unsportsmanlike conduct on a big hit and a bullcrap pass interference in the end zone. You can thank refs for your only score.

Here's an idea....ratber than cry about weather, refs and schedule how about you just say nice job. It goes much further than acting like Kentucky fans. Win and you were in. #whiners
Old 10-29-17, 10:19 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingdad3 View Post
While Elder fans are crying about the refs......please watch the YouTube broadcast they are referring to and check out their drive to score their only points. A bogus unsportsmanlike conduct on a big hit and a bullcrap pass interference in the end zone. You can thank refs for your only score.

Here's an idea....ratber than cry about weather, refs and schedule how about you just say nice job. It goes much further than acting like Kentucky fans. Win and you were in. #whiners
Well said
Old 10-29-17, 10:22 AM
All District

Thats true like I said its part of the game.

But the human aspect of ref's is something I wish could be eliminated.
I've seen to many times flags for NOTHING!! Other than a positive play and thrown after the play was going to be a success.
I've seen ref's SPRINT off the field after a game cause they knew what they did.
The term "home cookin" didn't just pop into thin air.
If your on the wrong side of a objective call, is usually what determines how great the refs was, but some over my 40 yrs of watching can be biased.

And then there are the no-calls, that they DON'T make that kills teams.
Old 10-29-17, 10:24 AM
All District

No where near a Elder fan.
Just seen some games taken out of kids hands by grown men with grudges many times in my life.
Old 10-29-17, 10:29 AM
All American

Quote:

I don't know if I ever said it on here, but I told others it was a great game. Lasalle won, congratulations.

That was not a bogus unsportsmanlike. That was a late hit on a defenseless QB. Watch the video. I will say it was "close", but still a late hit nonetheless. The same player who took the cheap shot also got pancaked on the td run that was called back. I guess he is a pretty hard hitter after the QB throws the ball and can't defend himself. I would agree with you the pass interference call was iffy.

Good luck to Lasalle in the little school playoffs.
Old 10-29-17, 10:32 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
I've seen plenty of bad calls in my time. But more than bad calls I see stupid turnovers, stupid penalties, lack of execution etc. That is what costs teams games. People are forever blaming others. That's why we fall behind the world in education. Accept responsibility. GCL schools are always blaming losses on others because they couldn't possibly have messed up.
I admit. Elder shot themselves in the foot a lot. It's just frustrating when you come back late in the game to score a td to take the lead and you get a bad call. They still would have needed to make the extra point though. Not a guarantee considering the wet weather and Elder has struggled at times this year in the kicking game.
Old 10-29-17, 11:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
I don't know if I ever said it on here, but I told others it was a great game. Lasalle won, congratulations.

That was not a bogus unsportsmanlike. That was a late hit on a defenseless QB. Watch the video. I will say it was "close", but still a late hit nonetheless. The same player who took the cheap shot also got pancaked on the td run that was called back. I guess he is a pretty hard hitter after the QB throws the ball and can't defend himself. I would agree with you the pass interference call was iffy.

Good luck to Lasalle in the little school playoffs.

It was an unsportsmanlike for taunting on your only TD drive at the end if the 1st qtr. Then that was followed by a horrible pass interference call. Those are 30 yds of your TD there.

On the hit late.....its football. Kid rolled out bang bang. I don't recall any penalties on Elder for throwing Griffin down to the ground after the whistle. Hell the refs thrpugh another unsportsmanlike like on Whylie with 4 mins to go on 2nd and 2. We run out the clock if that bull call isnt goven. If anything it should have been off setting unsportsmanlike penalties. It's football....grow a pair and win. This offense LaSalle has is absolutely terrible and you still couldn't win.
Old 10-29-17, 11:19 AM
All Region

Beat a little old D2 school and you make your big boy playoffs. Lol. I will say it again....if Oats doesnt get hurt and plays vs Elder you don't beat that little old D2 school either. Elder wouldnt make it out of our little D2 Region 8 playoffs this year. Lol. Enjoy watching the playoffs next week.
Old 10-29-17, 11:23 AM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles123 View Post
Refs never win or lose a game for a team in any sport.
That isn't true. It is true for football usually but for several sports if the referee or official or whatever the sport has makes incorrect or poor calls there is nothing the athlete can do any differently to change the outcome in many instances.
For instance in tennis it is advantageous to hit the ball so it bounces on the baseline, if the linesman calls the ball out everytime it is close then you are just SOL. If you hit the ball not as deep then it would make it much easier for your opponent.
Similarly in baseball if the ump is calling the low strike for the opposing pitcher but not for your team and you bring the ball up in the zone a bit, the other team is more likely to get hits.
I could go on and on citing examples of situations where biased officials effect the outcome of a game.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-17, 11:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Beat a little old D2 school and you make your big boy playoffs. Lol. I will say it again....if Oats doesnt get hurt and plays vs Elder you don't beat that little old D2 school either. Elder wouldnt make it out of our little D2 Region 8 playoffs this year. Lol. Enjoy watching the playoffs next week.
You had your chance with the best in Division 1 and lost a close game 42-7.
Old 10-29-17, 12:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
That isn't true. It is true for football usually but for several sports if the referee or official or whatever the sport has makes incorrect or poor calls there is nothing the athlete can do any differently to change the outcome in many instances.
For instance in tennis it is advantageous to hit the ball so it bounces on the baseline, if the linesman calls the ball out everytime it is close then you are just SOL. If you hit the ball not as deep then it would make it much easier for your opponent.

Similarly in baseball if the ump is calling the low strike for the opposing pitcher but not for your team and you bring the ball up in the zone a bit, the other team is more likely to get hits.
I could go on and on citing examples of situations where biased officials effect the outcome of a game.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
If ump is calling it low then hit the low ball. You make it sound like every play they make a bad call. Some bad calls yes but never so many that you can't control your own destiny in a majority of the game. Refs are convenient excuses for not wanting to take responsibility for what you did.