Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-19-18, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Sounds like the Cavs could have had Paul George without losing Kyrie. Really hurts on the inside to know this. Cavs are saying they didn’t do the trade because LeBron wouldn’t commit beyond this year. That’s just f**king stupid. Guessing this is why Griffin left. He wanted to do the trade and Gilbert shot it down
I don't think that's true. Gilbert was all for the George trade.

Here's an article that covers it:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...rs-backed-out/
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-18, 09:34 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like the Cavs could have had Paul George without losing Kyrie. Really hurts on the inside to know this. Cavs are saying they didnít do the trade because LeBron wouldnít commit beyond this year. Thatís just f**king stupid. Guessing this is why Griffin left. He wanted to do the trade and Gilbert shot it down
Griffin left over $$$$$
Old 06-19-18, 09:52 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That's because Iggy was 31-32 during the Warriors first championship year.
Yes, but how many players careers get derailed at that age because their ego will not allow them to become a "role" player.
Old 06-19-18, 10:04 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Yes, but how many players careers get derailed at that age because their ego will not allow them to become a "role" player.
At 31-32, with diminishing skills? Not many. You're acting like Iggy was a perennial All Star who, upon joining Golden State, decided to be a role player. He made one All Star team in his entire career. He was always a role player.
Old 06-19-18, 11:27 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
At 31-32, with diminishing skills? Not many. You're acting like Iggy was a perennial All Star who, upon joining Golden State, decided to be a role player. He made one All Star team in his entire career. He was always a role player.
There were 3-4 years in Philly where he was the guy. He was starter his first couple years for the Warriors, but made the move to 6th man when Harrison Barnes was deemed ready for the starting lineup.
Old 06-19-18, 11:41 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
There were 3-4 years in Philly where he was the guy. He was starter his first couple years for the Warriors, but made the move to 6th man when Harrison Barnes was deemed ready for the starting lineup.
Other than the lockout year, the best the 76ers ever finished was 0.500 in a bad Eastern Conference. Most years they were below 0.500. He's always been a great defender but even at his peak he was an average offensive player. He's been a role player for most of his career.
Old 06-19-18, 01:27 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedevil View Post
I don't think that's true. Gilbert was all for the George trade.

Here's an article that covers it:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...rs-backed-out/
That's from July 2017. The current report is that the Cavs were the ones who backed out
Old 06-19-18, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Griffin left over $$$$$
I think it was more likely due to a power struggle. Gilbert has never shied away from writing a check, but he's always had trouble staying out of the player personnel side of things
Old 06-19-18, 02:00 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
There are two types of owners: The active ones involved in day to day decisions, this list is headlined by George Steinbrenner, & Jerry Jones. They tend to run through GMs and Coaches like crazy. Then there are passive ones that just write checks and let the GM/President run the show, this list is headlined by The Rooney Family & Peter Holt. They tend to have very stable organizations w/ no turn over. Both groups have winners and losers so there is really no best way to run a franchise. Dan fits into the active category and has had his moments but also his challenges, primarily because he is very emotional.
Old 06-19-18, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
That's from July 2017. The current report is that the Cavs were the ones who backed out
link ?
Old 06-19-18, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

Adrian Wojnarowski said it on Adam Schefter’s podcast, so I’m not sure if there’s a great link out there.

If true, LeBron gets some blame because he wouldn’t commit, but the Cavs shouldn’t have cared whether George was willing to commit long term either way. You make that trade if it’s there regardless of future commitments.

See if this works:
http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2018/06/18/lebron-james-may-have-foolishly-cost-cleveland-a-super-team-with-kyrie-irving-and-paul-george/amp/
Old 06-19-18, 08:16 PM
All World

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski said it on Adam Schefterís podcast, so Iím not sure if thereís a great link out there.

If true, LeBron gets some blame because he wouldnít commit, but the Cavs shouldnít have cared whether George was willing to commit long term either way. You make that trade if itís there regardless of future commitments.

See if this works:
http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebiglead.com/2018/06/18/lebron-james-may-have-foolishly-cost-cleveland-a-super-team-with-kyrie-irving-and-paul-george/amp/
Where does it say the Cavs pulled out ... sorry, but didnít see it?
Old 06-20-18, 04:31 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
My guess is once Pop is done coaching, he is done with basketball. He has a winery that he's pretty passionate about, I believe.
This kind of independence is exactly why I don't believe that Pop will not allow the Spurs to get bullied into shipping Kawhi off to LAL, just to get something for him - as the Cavs did with Kyrie to Boston.

When Pop said he didn't want Kawhi in the West, he meant it, and even if he can only exert any influence for 1 year, that is what he'll do. The media groundswell of a narrative that is building with Cowherd et al pointing to LA is meaningless blather, and Pop won't take the Ball albatross off of Magic's hands, either. Idiot Lavar is a deal-breaker and a locker room killer if he gets a mic. James, Leonard, and George won't want him around. (How awesome would it be if Magic just cut Lonzo to close a deal ? )

As far as Pop's future, the guy just lost his wife. Most stable people won't want wholesale upheaval in their lives after such a life-changing event. He originally was the Spurs GM hire that made himself head coach, iirc. Maybe he dives headfirst into the winery, but if it was a thing he shared with his wife and pain of loss makes him want to"compartmentalize", focusing on the nuts and bolts of the franchise may bring a better escape. That would probably be my kind of next move, but I hope it's a long time before I have to worry about something like that.

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-20-18 at 04:46 AM..
Old 06-20-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
Where does it say the Cavs pulled out ... sorry, but didnít see it?
The link isnít very good. Like I said, it came from Woj on a podcast, so take it for what itís worth (perhaps nothing)
Old 06-20-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

Cowherd reeling it back in a bit today. Setting up the excuse train for being wrong on the LBJ, Kawhi, PG to LAL call
Old 06-20-18, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

bedevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The link isnít very good. Like I said, it came from Woj on a podcast, so take it for what itís worth (perhaps nothing)
It took over a year for anyone to dispute the story the Pacers backed out? And it came from a podcast with another I-need-a-click-worthy-story talking head?
Old 06-20-18, 05:19 PM
All Yappi

Heard a replay of a dipsh1t caller, evidently with an extreme case of low frustration tolerance, saying it's time to "move on" from LeBron because he's too much trouble

It did get me thinking about one thing, though; for all the desire to be portrayed as such a great teammate and all that, if he bails again with no advance warning I can't think of a better way to crap on an entire team. It's worse than the screwing Boozer gave him when he entered the league. He saw the effects of slipping out the back door once.

At least this time, we can't say he left us after all the good free agents are signed. The Cavs are still over the cap without him, due to signing FAs in efforts to please him, trading away picks that could have become econo-players, and signing the guys LBJ wanted. Can't sign FAs straight up at all.

Think about that. Over the cap without LeBron. Tell me again why Griff was so good.....

Last edited by cabezadecaballo; 06-20-18 at 05:30 PM..
Old 06-20-18, 05:57 PM
All World

I am encouraged ... rumors have the Cavs talking to Charlotte about Walker for the 8th pick ... what is so significant about that ... the Cavs have been steadfast about not giving up that 8th pick without LBJ staying ... rumors also say the Cavs have talked to LeBron's people ... does that mean they have hinted that LeBron wants to stay? This just all conjecture by me ... for me it is more than just him staying ... it is also about shutting most of the national media who has him all but in LA already ... personally I would love to see the Lakers get shut out totally in the FA market.
Old 06-20-18, 07:30 PM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Lebron
Love
Paul George
Kemba Walker
Hassan Whiteside
Absolutely could happen if teams are willing to....huge IF I know.
Old 06-20-18, 07:33 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
How would they acquire Paul George in that scenario?
Old 06-20-18, 08:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
How would they acquire Paul George in that scenario?
Lebron needs to get involved and have George force OKC to trade him or he will opt out of his deal. At that point give OKC, Korver and Clarkson. But it would all come down to Lebron actually getting involved.
Old 06-20-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Clarkson is God awful. There's no way they'd take those guys in a horrible trade over just letting him walk and shedding salary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-18, 08:40 PM
All Yappi

cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post
Clarkson is God awful. There's no way they'd take those guys in a horrible trade over just letting him walk and shedding salary.

Iíd be fine with trading Love for George. Hate to trade Love, but George is the more versatile player.
Old 06-20-18, 09:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwarrior09 View Post

It happens all the time, hell I bet it happens at least 3 or 4 times during this offseason. Can you imagine the outcry in OKC if they would just let George walk away and get nothing in return. The NBA now is controlled by the star players and the Lebron way of 1 year contracts with no trade clauses etc. If Paul George wants to go to Cleveland he will be here, although my bet is Lebron, George and Leonard in LA.