Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins the 2014-15 TRAC title?
Findlay 0 0%
Fremont Ross 0 0%
Lima Senior 9 40.91%
Oregon Clay 1 4.55%
Toledo Central Catholic 2 9.09%
Toledo St. Francis 0 0%
Toledo St. Johns 9 40.91%
Toledo Whitmer 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-14, 10:59 AM
All American

FremontKeith is on a distinguished road
2014-15 TRAC basketball

Didn't see a TRAC thread so thought I'd start the season with a poll. Who wins the Three Rivers Athletic Conference title this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-14, 03:20 AM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Lima Senior looks to be great.....on paper.....My concern with the Spartans this year is will there be enough basketballs to go around. Rico Stafford, Reuben Flowers, Xavier Simpson, Jay Thomas, Elijah Pugsley, Marquevious Wilson....the roster is stacked and all these kids are familiar with Coach Simpson from AAU. I know the Spartans will run and press most of the time. They will be fun to watch this year....
Old 11-11-14, 04:56 AM
All Ohio

Johnstown Benny is on a distinguished road
Spartan87,

Very good synopsis of the 2014-2015 Lima Senior Spartans. I agree that on paper the Spartans appear the team to beat, but also wonder about having enough basketballs to go around.

The pure talent on this team is the best that I can remember in a very long time and Coach Simpson is the absolute perfect choice to coach these players. His overall coaching record as the JV coach a few years ago coupled with his AAU credentials is unequaled in my opinion.

Wasn't there another transfer student in the mix over the summer from Reyoldsburg maybe ? I heard he suffered a serious injury in a conditioning session, but that is the only thing I've heard about this mystery player. Someone yesterday in a "barbershop" conversation was talking about this and thought his name was Ward ??? Do you know anything about this or is this one of those off-season rumors that always seem to float around ?

In any event, the pre-season buzz on Lima Sr. is off the charts this year. I just hope all of the egos are checked at the door and Coach Q can mold this talent into the team that can utilize everyone's individual skills. If this happens, the Spartans should be one of the best in the State. Really looking forward for a special year this season.

JB
Old 11-11-14, 02:18 PM
All Region

The Expert is on a distinguished road
SJJ should be the clear pick, just with the amount of redshirts in the SJJ and SJJA program. Win at all costs...
Old 11-12-14, 08:35 PM
All Region

Spartan87 is on a distinguished road
Jarius Ward is the young man in question. From what I've heard he may be out awhile with some kind of leg issue.
Old 11-13-14, 11:40 AM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
The league seems to be real top heavy this year, with Lima Sr and then after that who knows? Didn't St Johns and Central Catholic both loose players to Bowsher?
Old 11-13-14, 08:41 PM
All Ohio

Track XC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Track XC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
I had asked this on another thread, but didn't get an answer. So I'll try again.

Does Lima Sr have the 6'5" ish freshman? If so, will he play varsity? The kid had a ton a talent, very skilled inside and outside game. He had a varsity body as an 8th grader.

St. Johns is supposed to have one of the top freshman in the state. I hear he has been tearing up varsity players from several schools all summer and fall......sorry don't have his name either.

My pick is St Johns. Even when they are "down" they have a long history of beating more athletic, pressure D teams, by beating the pressure for layups or spot up 3's.
The SJJ player you're thinking of is Houston King. I imagine he will start off the year on JV and be in the varsity rotation by mid-season. Here is SJJ's projected starting 5. I imagine they will finish behind Lima-Senior for 2nd in the league this season. The TRAC is a two team league this year. With the departure of Welling I highly doubt Central will be much of a factor.
PG: Gabe Kynard '16 (6'0"/180lbs): He should be the go to man this year. I expect a huge year from him; jump shot is nearly knockdown now and can get into the lane at will. Great Athlete.
SG: Aaron Thompson '16 (6'2"/160lbs): Will be one of the best 3 point shooters on the team. He has great length for a SG, and is a silky smooth player. Not a great athlete but is a crafty player, has a knack for getting to FT line despite not being able to blow by his man. He has a great handle & good vision. He should be a great secondary ball-handler for Kynard, teams won't be able to press SJJ like last season with all the ball handlers they have.
SF: Kaleb Vaughnn '15 (6'4"/180lbs): an incredible leaper, watch out if he gets on a fast break this season. Got off to a great start last season before an injury derailed his season. A dead-eye 3 PT shooter and the teams best perimeter defender. Struggles beating his man off of the dribble and isn't a great passer. If he found out how to use his athleticism in the half-court last off-season he could be a much improved player. We'll see if he did.
PF: Myles Copeland '15 (6'5"/190lbs): Good pick and roll big man. He should be the second best player on the team. A great athlete, looks to dunk everything around the rim. A good jump-shooter and rebounder.
C: Robert Brown '17 (6'5"/175lbs): Great Athlete for a big man, super springy. If he is not starting on opening night I expect him to be by the end of the season. He doesn't have a great bball IQ but he's quite frankly the only option SJJ has that can match up with other physical post players. He has upside.

- Again this is just who I think will be the starting 5 this year.
Lack of big man depth will be a problem this season for SJJ. They have plenty of solid guards on the bench. This SJJ has more upside than last years team, and with the area being down they have a shot to go far in the tournament.

- Players who have departed from SJJ since last season:
- Dalonte Brown '17 (Rogers): Kid has a chance to become a special player. All of the tools are there.
- Darryl Robinson '17 (Rogers): should be a good player.
- Keith Smith '17 (Central Catholic): Should probably be their starting PG this season. Extremely strong and is an incredible defender.
- Craig Mays '15 (Start): Rumor is he might play basketball for them this season. I haven't heard much of him since he tore his ACL/MCL last football season. It's a shame he suffered those injuries, could have been an incredible Football/Basketball player.

Last edited by Track XC; 11-13-14 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 05:44 PM
All American

TolCentralCath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track XC View Post
The SJJ player you're thinking of is Houston King. I imagine he will start off the year on JV and be in the varsity rotation by mid-season. Here is SJJ's projected starting 5. I imagine they will finish behind Lima-Senior for 2nd in the league this season. The TRAC is a two team league this year. With the departure of Welling I highly doubt Central will be much of a factor.
PG: Gabe Kynard '16 (6'0"/180lbs): He should be the go to man this year. I expect a huge year from him; jump shot is nearly knockdown now and can get into the lane at will. Great Athlete.
SG: Aaron Thompson '16 (6'2"/160lbs): Will be one of the best 3 point shooters on the team. He has great length for a SG, and is a silky smooth player. Not a great athlete but is a crafty player, has a knack for getting to FT line despite not being able to blow by his man. He has a great handle & good vision. He should be a great secondary ball-handler for Kynard, teams won't be able to press SJJ like last season with all the ball handlers they have.
SF: Kaleb Vaughnn '15 (6'4"/180lbs): an incredible leaper, watch out if he gets on a fast break this season. Got off to a great start last season before an injury derailed his season. A dead-eye 3 PT shooter and the teams best perimeter defender. Struggles beating his man off of the dribble and isn't a great passer. If he found out how to use his athleticism in the half-court last off-season he could be a much improved player. We'll see if he did.
PF: Myles Copeland '15 (6'5"/190lbs): Good pick and roll big man. He should be the second best player on the team. A great athlete, looks to dunk everything around the rim. A good jump-shooter and rebounder.
C: Robert Brown '17 (6'5"/175lbs): Great Athlete for a big man, super springy. If he is not starting on opening night I expect him to be by the end of the season. He doesn't have a great bball IQ but he's quite frankly the only option SJJ has that can match up with other physical post players. He has upside.

- Again this is just who I think will be the starting 5 this year.
Lack of big man depth will be a problem this season for SJJ. They have plenty of solid guards on the bench. This SJJ has more upside than last years team, and with the area being down they have a shot to go far in the tournament.

- Players who have departed from SJJ since last season:
- Dalonte Brown '17 (Rogers): Kid has a chance to become a special player. All of the tools are there.
- Darryl Robinson '17 (Rogers): should be a good player.
- Keith Smith '17 (Central Catholic): Should probably be their starting PG this season. Extremely strong and is an incredible defender.
- Craig Mays '15 (Start): Rumor is he might play basketball for them this season. I haven't heard much of him since he tore his ACL/MCL last football season. It's a shame he suffered those injuries, could have been an incredible Football/Basketball player.
Sj really took a hit it seems like with departures.
Old 11-15-14, 01:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TolCentralCath View Post
Sj really took a hit it seems like with departures.
Not for the upcoming season. Mays didn't play basketball last season due to injury, and Smith wasn't eligible to play last season. Brown is the only player who was a safe bet to be in the varsity rotation for this season. You'll see the impact of these departures a lot more next year. That's been the story for basketball players at SJJ for the last 6 years though, can't keep them in the school. It's a huge problem. It's good that SJJ has enough academic integrity to not let them slide by, but it's worrisome when you look at how many of them don't last. I've been questioning the effectiveness of the 20/20 program for a while now. For every success story there is at least 2 failures. It's simply not at the level it should be at. If SJJ keeps losing 30 kids per class over the course of 4 years then they need to make it more difficult to get admitted in the first place. /rant

Last edited by Track XC; 11-15-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-17-14, 09:15 PM
All Region

The Expert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You'll see the impact of these departures a lot more next year. That's been the story for basketball players at SJJ for the last 6 years though, can't keep them in the school. It's a huge problem. It's good that SJJ has enough academic integrity to not let them slide by, but it's worrisome when you look at how many of them don't last. I've been questioning the effectiveness of the 20/20 program for a while now. For every success story there is at least 2 failures. It's simply not at the level it should be at. If SJJ keeps losing 30 kids per class over the course of 4 years then they need to make it more difficult to get admitted in the first place. /rant
Good to finally see an Airport University School coach/admin admit the 20/20 program is designed to support the hoops program. With now the third redshirt at SJJA and without a district championship in 5-6 years it's about time you nuke that farce of a program.
Old 11-17-14, 11:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Good to finally see an Airport University School coach/admin admit the 20/20 program is designed to support the hoops program. With now the third redshirt at SJJA and without a district championship in 5-6 years it's about time you nuke that farce of a program.
Wow, you must be incapable of comprehension. If it were only for basketball players then they would all still be in the school. I'm questioning the help that is available when program members are struggling to keep up with the rigorous academics. If you had any familiarity with 20/20 you would know that around 80% of students in the program don't even play a sport. I have no idea what "redshirt" you are talking about. Parents hold their kids back all of the time; no school ever makes that decision. I hope you're smart enough to realize that, but based on your track record/agenda I doubt it. The program itself is a great concept, it just needs to be bolstered. Also, I'm far from a "coach/admin". Don't get it twisted. Anyways, it really must suck being bitter/miserable enough to stab at St. John's from an anonymous account whenever possible. Not to mention the claims you make about SJJ are always completely wrong and idiotic. If you're going to post something stupid about Saint John's at least have some concrete information to back it up. Do everyone on Yappi a favor and never post again; you contribute nothing but nonsense.

Last edited by Track XC; 11-18-14 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-18-14, 12:33 AM
All American

Quote:
Not for the upcoming season. Mays didn't play basketball last season due to injury, and Smith wasn't eligible to play last season. Brown is the only player who was a safe bet to be in the varsity rotation for this season. You'll see the impact of these departures a lot more next year. That's been the story for basketball players at SJJ for the last 6 years though, can't keep them in the school. It's a huge problem. It's good that SJJ has enough academic integrity to not let them slide by, but it's worrisome when you look at how many of them don't last. I've been questioning the effectiveness of the 20/20 program for a while now. For every success story there is at least 2 failures. It's simply not at the level it should be at. If SJJ keeps losing 30 kids per class over the course of 4 years then they need to make it more difficult to get admitted in the first place. /rant
So wait, you're saying every single kid in the 20/20 program that transfers out is due to not being able to handle the Sjj academics? I find that really, really hard to believe.
Old 11-18-14, 04:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
So wait, you're saying every single kid in the 20/20 program that transfers out is due to not being able to handle the Sjj academics? I find that really, really hard to believe.
Obviously not every single student, but if I had to guess that's easily the #1 reason.
Old 11-18-14, 06:19 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Do I hear a hint of semantics? "Transfer out" or told not to come back?

Why would a kid receiving a 20/20 ride voluntarily leave? You can can the "rigorous" academics. They have a nice wide range of academics at the school and a nice wide range of graduates, including those that struggle post high school. If the school is letting them in based upon academics and not sports and post grad earning potential, they should easily find a place amongst that rigor.

I would think the moral obligation would be to stick by the kid at least until 19, like any school.

On the football thread I thought to start a running post on how the former Toledo area players are doing in college ball. Like to do it for b-ball but I'm feeling lazy. I got the three kids at Bethune-Cookman, Loving and Hayes.

Didn't that tall skinny kid from SJJ land at a D1? Dayton? Or was it Wright? Who was that, save me a google.

Any others?
Old 11-18-14, 09:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Do I hear a hint of semantics? "Transfer out" or told not to come back?

Why would a kid receiving a 20/20 ride voluntarily leave? You can can the "rigorous" academics. They have a nice wide range of academics at the school and a nice wide range of graduates, including those that struggle post high school. If the school is letting them in based upon academics and not sports and post grad earning potential, they should easily find a place amongst that rigor.

I would think the moral obligation would be to stick by the kid at least until 19, like any school.

On the football thread I thought to start a running post on how the former Toledo area players are doing in college ball. Like to do it for b-ball but I'm feeling lazy. I got the three kids at Bethune-Cookman, Loving and Hayes.

Didn't that tall skinny kid from SJJ land at a D1? Dayton? Or was it Wright? Who was that, save me a google.

Any others?
Deontae Cole from Central Catholic is playing at DI Northern Kentucky. He's seeing significant minutes in his sophomore season as a backup.

The Sj kid you're talking about, Ernsthauser, is at Wright St.
Old 11-19-14, 05:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Deontae Cole from Central Catholic is playing at DI Northern Kentucky. He's seeing significant minutes in his sophomore season as a backup.

The Sj kid you're talking about, Ernsthauser, is at Wright St.

I don't see him on their stat list. Might be red-shirting?

Loving starting at OSU: decent minutes with good percentages. Ahead of progress I'd say.

Hayes won the 2014 6th POY in the B10. Didn't know that. Was he 6'8" in high school? Looks like Hayes starting and Vitto now 6th man.

Clemmye Owens 14 ppg, Tony Kynard 6.5 and Maurice Taylor a couple for TPS South/Bethune-Cookman.

Who else?
Old 11-20-14, 10:20 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I don't see him on their stat list. Might be red-shirting?

Loving starting at OSU: decent minutes with good percentages. Ahead of progress I'd say.

Hayes won the 2014 6th POY in the B10. Didn't know that. Was he 6'8" in high school? Looks like Hayes starting and Vitto now 6th man.

Clemmye Owens 14 ppg, Tony Kynard 6.5 and Maurice Taylor a couple for TPS South/Bethune-Cookman.

Who else?
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the St. John's kid is grey-shirting at Wright State this year. Basically he's sitting out (like a redshirt) and paying his own way. Should be on scholarship and start seeing some minutes next year as a RS freshman.
Old 11-20-14, 10:32 AM
All Ohio

Drew Lehman, Central Catholic 2011, is completing his ultra successful college career at Ferris State this year.
Old 11-20-14, 04:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Drew Lehman, Central Catholic 2011, is completing his ultra successful college career at Ferris State this year.

Was planning on only doing D1 so it doesn't get overwhelming but I'll add him to the list and try and keep everyone up on his progress. There's a couple guys at Findlay. Where else?
Old 11-21-14, 10:58 AM
All Ohio

One of ESPN's college bball analysts is all in on Marc having a big year:

He had 10 points vs Marquette despite being in foul trouble the entire game. He's playing more of his natural position this year, Small Forward. He looks stronger and a lot more comfortable/confident. Next big test for OSU is December 2nd @ Louisville.
Old 11-21-14, 12:04 PM
All American

Nigel Hayes had a monster game for the 3rd ranked Wisconsin Badgers. 25 points & 11 rebounds.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595369
Old 11-21-14, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Nigel Hayes had a monster game for the 3rd ranked Wisconsin Badgers. 25 points & 11 rebounds.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400595369
Pretty sure I said it last year but bears repeating: I did not see that coming.

Marc Loving: I don't recall him being an "in foul trouble" kind of guy. Could be he's mixing it up a bit more. He put on some weight?

I'll try to get some bookmarks organized on the players Smalls listed so we can keep updated. I'll keep a running cut and past post, since I don't know anyway to put it at the top of the thread.
Old 11-22-14, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

Each player: STATS/ARTICLES

NOTES:
Cannot find Nate Allen on any roster?
Ethan Michael out for season.
Geoff Bean suspended indefinitely?
Austin Gardner not showing any minutes played?

D1

Wisconsin
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ba...askbl-mtt.html
Nigel Hayes - Whitmer
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...98/nigel-hayes
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...8b00d9713.html
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...5898c4b65.html

Vitto Brown - BG
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...01/vitto-brown

Mark Loving - SJJ – OSU
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...43/marc-loving

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ng_858127.html
http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...tion/18927263/

Bethune Cookman
http://www.bcuathletics.com/SportSel...6&SPSID=659239
Clemmy Owens – Rogers
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask.../clemmye-owens
http://collegebasketball.ap.org/arti...-cookman-73-50
Tony Kynard - Rogers
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...83/tony-kynard
Maurice Taylor -Libbey/Start
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...maurice-taylor

Northern Kentucky
Tyler White - Lima Sr
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...50/tyler-white
Deonte Cole – Central Catholic
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...7/deontae-cole

Anthony Glover - SJJ - Chicago St.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...anthony-glover
18 pts! http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...116-story.html

Mark Donnal - Anthony Wayne – Michigan
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...87/mark-donnal
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...season_as.html
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde...ed_redshi.html

Nate Allen - Bowsher - North Carolina Central
Can’t find him on any roster.

Jordan Lauf - Napoleon - University of Toledo
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...69/jordan-lauf

CJ Gettys - Findlay - UNC Willmington
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...88/c.j.-gettys

Ethan Michael - Toledo Christian - Air Force
Michael will miss the entire 2014-15 season due to a knee injury.

RJ Coil - Ottawa Hills – Marist
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...8472/r.j.-coil

Geoff Beans - Ottawa Hills – Furman
F Geoff Beans (11/15, disciplinary) is suspended indefinitely.

D2

U of Findlay
Austin Gardner - SJJ
http://athletics.findlay.edu/sports/...o?view=gamelog
Ricardo Smith - Whitmer
http://athletics.findlay.edu/sports/...5?view=gamelog
Adam Twining - Findlay
http://athletics.findlay.edu/sports/...h?view=gamelog

Drew Lehman - Central Catholic - Ferris State
Worst Roster website ever.
11/15/14 29 pts! in losing cause against Quincy.
Old 11-22-14, 10:38 AM
All American

Good work East. I got a laugh out of the 'Worst Roster website ever' comment because I thought the same thing when I visited it.

FWIW, here it is:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...hman_drew_wkrc
Old 11-22-14, 10:51 AM
All Ohio

Great work EIB and the Ferris website is horrible.
Old 11-23-14, 01:08 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Nice work on that list. Enjoy reading up on all the locals. Be nice if the Blade did some more stories on these kids.

I always thought Lehman was special. 6 foot nothing and weighed 100 and nothing. Is one of those kids that just looking at him nothing says he can play the game. And then you watch him play and quickly understand that there are some things you cannot measure.
Old 11-23-14, 01:14 PM
All World

SJ should be the clear pick. Until Lima Sr. proves something it is SJ.

I know in football when things were not going Flowers and Staffords way the bottom fell out. Lots of finger pointing and lack of effort. Interesting the comment has already been brought up about "having enough basketballs to go around" by two separate Lima fans, which of course insinuates can they play as a team? Be interesting to see what Coach Simpson can do.

smalls, with all due respect, when a kid gets held back in the 8th grade and has a 4.0 GPA simply so he can get one more year of HS basketball under his belt it just does not sit well with many. But hey, it worked out for Austin Gardner.

Still waiting for Marc Loving to impress me to the point that so many folks expected him to.

Nigel Hayes has such a unique game (almost throwback) and I do not think he could have found a better fit than in Bo Ryan's Wisconsin system.
Old 11-23-14, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

I think your last two sentences can be taken in context with each other. Hayes had a more physical body than Loving. He also had a more physical instinct, something I recall us all discussing regards Loving. While he may not have the numbers or input, Loving is already starting on a top 20 team, same year as Hayes began starting.

I'd say he's been plenty impressive and if he continues to develop will find his place amongst previous Toledo contributions to OSU.
Old 11-24-14, 11:08 AM
All World

All very valid points. And your last statement rinsg so true. Average kids, which most are, can be above average but it takes a LOT of work. Guys like Austin Gardner willed himself into being a good basketball player. In a gym 6 days a week, maybe 7, summer leagues, spring leagues...I remember hearing about an extremely talented wrestler who did nothing but wrestle from the age of 5 on up. At age 17 he did not know how to ride a bike. Not a fan of the 24/7 sports athlete, many kids are not allowed to be kids anymore. There is something to be said about having to wrangle up some neighborhood kids to play a game (any game) and using your imagination when conditions are not ideal. Today it is jump in the mini-van, go to controlled practice/camp, jump back in the mini-van, repeat.

EIB, I believe we are making the same points. The physical differences are apparent. And I believe Nigel fits Bo Ryan's system as good as anyone with his half court offense and inside-out sets. My comment regarding Loving stems from the fact I believed he would have produced more to this point individually but as you point out he is starting on a top 20 team (define produce right?).

Does anyone know if Mouch is going to assist at CCHS with Lowe like he did at Bedford? He also assisted with Welling when they went to the Final 4 correct?

Last edited by irish_buffalo; 11-24-14 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

Just saw an old lady on a bicycle fly by.