Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Eastern Buckeye Conference?
Alliance 6 12.77%
Canton South 1 2.13%
Carrollton 1 2.13%
Marlington 31 65.96%
Minerva 2 4.26%
Salem 1 2.13%
West Branch 5 10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-18, 10:34 PM
Freshman

Supereliteshowcase is on a distinguished road
West Branch had an opportunity to represent the EBC in a big non conference game but it didn't happen. It would have made a big impact for the league contenders Alliance and Marlington'a playoff hopes.
Old 10-12-18, 10:46 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supereliteshowcase View Post
West Branch had an opportunity to represent the EBC in a big non conference game but it didn't happen. It would have made a big impact for the league contenders Alliance and Marlington'a playoff hopes.
Marlington still plays WB and Alliance. Plenty of points to be had

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-18, 12:03 AM
All Ohio

1_wbwarriors is on a distinguished road
I am not one to say much when it comes down to the coaching staff and such but I am very disappointed in the game plan and effort the coaches put into this game against west Holmes. it was basically a week 11 game we needed this one to be a top contender for a playoff spot. West Branch had the ball inside the west Holmes 35 yard line 4 times in the first half and had 0 points at halftime. Our offense is a very predictable and we havenít created any new plays all season long... when we finally threw a pass out of the wildcat it was on a 2 point conversion.. why not run that in the first half for a touchdown when we needed some momentum instead of when were down 30 with 4 minutes to go! Our Qb is young and has happy feet so why not run a couple screens with our running backs the only one we run is the wr bubble screen. I just feel like we are leaving a lot of creativity out there with the skill players we have.. #3,34,20,2,81 are playmakers gotta find different ways to get them the ball.

Hoping for a big rebound next week against the dukes!!! We need a big win!! Go Green!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-18, 05:57 AM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_wbwarriors View Post
I am not one to say much when it comes down to the coaching staff and such but I am very disappointed in the game plan and effort the coaches put into this game against west Holmes. it was basically a week 11 game we needed this one to be a top contender for a playoff spot. West Branch had the ball inside the west Holmes 35 yard line 4 times in the first half and had 0 points at halftime. Our offense is a very predictable and we havenít created any new plays all season long... when we finally threw a pass out of the wildcat it was on a 2 point conversion.. why not run that in the first half for a touchdown when we needed some momentum instead of when were down 30 with 4 minutes to go! Our Qb is young and has happy feet so why not run a couple screens with our running backs the only one we run is the wr bubble screen. I just feel like we are leaving a lot of creativity out there with the skill players we have.. #3,34,20,2,81 are playmakers gotta find different ways to get them the ball.

Hoping for a big rebound next week against the dukes!!! We need a big win!! Go Green!!!

WB is doing what what they are supposed to be doing, beating teams they are better than and losing to teams that are better than them. West Holmes is a good football team am better than WB, Alliance is better. I think Marlington is a going to handle them but 3 touchdowns and Salem will be a toss up. WB will end up 7-3 and possible 6-4. That is not a terrible year.
Old 10-13-18, 05:26 PM
All District

BasketballLover is on a distinguished road
2 weeks to go in regular season and here are the current EBC playoff situations

TOP 8 MAKE PLAYOFFS

Div 3, Region 9
Marlington 6th
Alliance 10th
West Branch 14th

Div 4, Region 13
Salem 13th
Carrollton 16th
Canton South 23rd
Minerva - mathematically eliminated

Looks as though 1 may get in but possibly 2. Good luck and good health for all in the last 2 weeks (or more for some)
Old 10-14-18, 12:29 AM
Freshman

Jake23 is on a distinguished road
West Branch where out coach but they do have a wide receiver that is a sophomore #23 that is a big time playmaker they been working on getting him the ball in the open The kid runs a 4.49 40 and he is the fastest in ebc and Minerva needs to do the same with #25
Old 10-14-18, 03:38 PM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Alliance can get in if they beat marlington, but none will get in out of the D4 teams
Old 10-14-18, 08:51 PM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake23 View Post
West Branch where out coach but they do have a wide receiver that is a sophomore #23 that is a big time playmaker they been working on getting him the ball in the open The kid runs a 4.49 40 and he is the fastest in ebc and Minerva needs to do the same with #25
Your right but our board and administration is apparently backing the good ol’ boy way Minerva knows so its a mess and they play by name more than by talent, obviously, who’s the QB. Alliance will prove my facts. Funny, no one wants to talk about it because it involves the buddy system. 0-40. Administration should have some interesting answers to this ridiculousness we call a football program. A responsible parent would not let there child be part of this irresponsible leadership and coaching.

Last edited by Lion 86; 10-14-18 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 11:05 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
Your right but our board and administration is apparently backing the good olí boy way Minerva knows so its a mess and they play by name more than by talent, obviously, whoís the QB. Alliance will prove my facts. Funny, no one wants to talk about it because it involves the buddy system. 0-40. Administration should have some interesting answers to this ridiculousness we call a football program. A responsible parent would not let there child be part of this irresponsible leadership and coaching.
It's been talked about plenty. The new AD probably wishes he would have stayed in East Canton, there has bee a swirl of controversy since week 3.. There will be a shake up at the seasons end. The question is will Minerva hire another "good ole boy" as you put it. Will they keep the head coach and just change coordinators and use the youth of the team as an excuse or will they go outside and get a football coach with no ties to Minerva? it's going to be interesting.
Old 10-15-18, 07:22 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
That Poland loss looks worse and worse for marlington as the weeks go by. I can see them losing to WB
Didnt you just pick Marlington to win on the other thread?

Old 10-15-18, 07:53 PM
All District

I will be watching our lineman's body language this week. The limitations you said of the dukes. I can promise you the dukes will be ready to play. Alot on the line in this game. See you friday
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
We were sitting on 30 yards line opposite the score board . 3rd quarter . One example : Poland ran play action on 3 down their receiver was wide open on a seam route and dropped the ball on the 15 with no defenders in site . My eyes are old but I can still see. Like I said we made our way to the car with 2 min left and Poland was running in subs And I believe Dukes were down 10 pts . After that I didnít see how it played out .
If you feel Kent is better than Bl and southeast then it must be so .
Look I was asked what Limitations I saw so I did my best to answer honestly . Sorry if you donít agree simply my opinion and it really doesnít mean anything .lol
I will suggest to take a few minutes and look at your linemanís depth chart and their sideline body language youíll see it .
I wish the best for all our EBC teams .
Old 10-15-18, 08:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
It's been talked about plenty. The new AD probably wishes he would have stayed in East Canton, there has bee a swirl of controversy since week 3.. There will be a shake up at the seasons end. The question is will Minerva hire another "good ole boy" as you put it. Will they keep the head coach and just change coordinators and use the youth of the team as an excuse or will they go outside and get a football coach with no ties to Minerva? it's going to be interesting.
My vote is outside the program with no ties to the community or school. I know someone who told me his program was in the same shape until they cleaned house and hired a HC with no ties to the community or program and they have had winning seasons since the change, he said the HC takes no crap from the parents or anyone and coaches to win and they are doing very well again this year. That’s the intelligent direction to take with this mess. New HC with some assistant changes and All positions open and awarded by talent not by name.
Old 10-16-18, 07:24 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My vote is outside the program with no ties to the community or school. I know someone who told me his program was in the same shape until they cleaned house and hired a HC with no ties to the community or program and they have had winning seasons since the change, he said the HC takes no crap from the parents or anyone and coaches to win and they are doing very well again this year. That’s the intelligent direction to take with this mess. New HC with some assistant changes and All positions open and awarded by talent not by name.
thats funny because they,EC and their admin, got lucky in a sense. HE you are speaking of is I think the AD at Minerva now. Spider was a retire/rehire, and just wanted to teach a couple more years and on a late date EC was a school with a late opening in PE. Next year - EC had a melt down with young coach they had - the young coach was either walking or told to walk - irrelevant - the AD there at time (the new minerva ad was principal there at the time) walked down hall and asked the long time MCK coach if he wanted to coach. No one did any great moves or genius hires. They simply asked the former Perry and McK hc if he wanted the job. No one administrator there did any major move and saved any program.

Why do I say this - EC got lucky with proximity to Canton with a retire/rehire meaning it was cost effective to hire a guy back at the base, and said teacher/coach did not need to move in order to be close to job - what could Minerva do with teaching positions to bring in coaches or a new head coach - based on their location and current fiscal outlook (which I do not know just asking)?
Old 10-16-18, 09:46 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
thats funny because they,EC and their admin, got lucky in a sense. HE you are speaking of is I think the AD at Minerva now. Spider was a retire/rehire, and just wanted to teach a couple more years and on a late date EC was a school with a late opening in PE. Next year - EC had a melt down with young coach they had - the young coach was either walking or told to walk - irrelevant - the AD there at time (the new minerva ad was principal there at the time) walked down hall and asked the long time MCK coach if he wanted to coach. No one did any great moves or genius hires. They simply asked the former Perry and McK hc if he wanted the job. No one administrator there did any major move and saved any program.

Why do I say this - EC got lucky with proximity to Canton with a retire/rehire meaning it was cost effective to hire a guy back at the base, and said teacher/coach did not need to move in order to be close to job - what could Minerva do with teaching positions to bring in coaches or a new head coach - based on their location and current fiscal outlook (which I do not know just asking)?

That's interesting about East Canton. I don't know if there is a whole lot Minerva can do (or is willing to do) as far as getting a new coaching staff. I have a feeling that it will be the same staff, maybe with one of the assistants will take over as head coach. There are 2 "Non Minerva" guys on the staff and maybe the are out. But I see it as basically the same staff with a few adjustments. If that happens I have 3 suggestions. 1- get a real off season weight program and get kids to buy in, 2 - get the athletes back out and playing football, 3 - erase the last names from your memories and have open competitions for positions.
Old 10-16-18, 10:43 AM
All American

my point in the telling of the story is two fold

your prin likes to take credit for the turn around to you west....

and schools don't have nearly as much "wiggle" as they used to - and the more financially tight or strapped a district is then the less they will do with coaches. EC has not and probably will never be a district that goes and gets a coach - rather they hire best person that walks through the door, and in this case the person was already down the hall.

back to minerva - what can they do as far as possibilities will most definitely drive what they will do in the end. I don't see Minerva having a ton of teacher movement in and out of district nor the $ overflowing to be able to create positions. I could be wrong that is why I asked. Rurals tend to be first hit by the state gov't trimming their allocation.
Old 10-16-18, 02:30 PM
All District

Quote:
my point in the telling of the story is two fold

your prin likes to take credit for the turn around to you west....

and schools don't have nearly as much "wiggle" as they used to - and the more financially tight or strapped a district is then the less they will do with coaches. EC has not and probably will never be a district that goes and gets a coach - rather they hire best person that walks through the door, and in this case the person was already down the hall.

back to minerva - what can they do as far as possibilities will most definitely drive what they will do in the end. I don't see Minerva having a ton of teacher movement in and out of district nor the $ overflowing to be able to create positions. I could be wrong that is why I asked. Rurals tend to be first hit by the state gov't trimming their allocation.
Minerva hired a football coach, Mike Hall, before this staff and he got a teaching job. The basketball coach, Shawn Green, got a teaching job and now he and his family are embedded in the community. They hired a new baseball coach, Greg Travis, and he doesn't have a teaching job because he got hired in the summer but I heard he will be teaching in the system next year. So I think getting a teaching job won't be a problem, I don't see ecomonic constraints but maybe there is? Minerva is an extremely well run school. Our sports facilities are the best around for a small school. Turf football field, brand new locker rooms, brand new concession stands, 2 separate buildings with restrooms, turf baseball field, state of the art weight room and the gym is a tough place to play, the community support is outstanding. I don't think it will be an issue to get a quality coach a teaching job. Minerva has been very competitive in every other sport so there is something to work with..

with that being said, the AD is a Minerva grad and is in tight with the current staff (old buddies) so I really don't know how much will change if he is making decisions. However, I heard the board and Superintendent are getting a bit restless.
Old 10-16-18, 03:53 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Minerva hired a football coach, Mike Hall, before this staff and he got a teaching job. The basketball coach, Shawn Green, got a teaching job and now he and his family are embedded in the community. They hired a new baseball coach, Greg Travis, and he doesn't have a teaching job because he got hired in the summer but I heard he will be teaching in the system next year. So I think getting a teaching job won't be a problem, I don't see ecomonic constraints but maybe there is? Minerva is an extremely well run school. Our sports facilities are the best around for a small school. Turf football field, brand new locker rooms, brand new concession stands, 2 separate buildings with restrooms, turf baseball field, state of the art weight room and the gym is a tough place to play, the community support is outstanding. I don't think it will be an issue to get a quality coach a teaching job. Minerva has been very competitive in every other sport so there is something to work with..

with that being said, the AD is a Minerva grad and is in tight with the current staff (old buddies) so I really don't know how much will change if he is making decisions. However, I heard the board and Superintendent are getting a bit restless.

I will be shocked if there are any big changes.

Old 10-17-18, 09:51 AM
All American

Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Let's go with:

Marlington 42
West Branch 7

Carrollton 15
Canton South 14

Alliance 48
Minerva 7

Salem 36
Akron Kenmore 13
Old 10-18-18, 09:25 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
I will be shocked if there are any big changes.

As I have said for years we need to go back to the little Lions program, possibly look at joining a new league and get a coaching staff that is not part of the good ol’ boy club. Let’s face it, we are out of our league in this EBC, yeah we compete in other sports but for how long? Malvern D7 school and solid program would beat us in football this year and probably would have the last several. We can continue to fool ourselves, yes, we need to change up our football program from bottom up including staff but the facts are evident and Friday night will prove my point. Look at the program and I can’t see us surviving in the EBC! Pride is in winning and we are not doing any of that for 38 games so what’s the answer?
Old 10-19-18, 06:49 AM
All District

Quote:
As I have said for years we need to go back to the little Lions program, possibly look at joining a new league and get a coaching staff that is not part of the good ol’ boy club. Let’s face it, we are out of our league in this EBC, yeah we compete in other sports but for how long? Malvern D7 school and solid program would beat us in football this year and probably would have the last several. We can continue to fool ourselves, yes, we need to change up our football program from bottom up including staff but the facts are evident and Friday night will prove my point. Look at the program and I can’t see us surviving in the EBC! Pride is in winning and we are not doing any of that for 38 games so what’s the answer?
Lion, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying on most of your posts, however, I did go to a number of youth games this year including the "bonus" games last Saturday. I can tell you that the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade teams are extremely well coached teams. it's not the 1980s and the numbers simply don't allow us to have a completely in house program. I talked to one of the coaches Saturday and he has NO KID on the team and it's like that for 4th, 5th and 6th grade. They volunteer their time and have no kids on the team. They play good hard hitting football. I know a couple of coaches have been successful in different high school programs in the past. So the "blame the youth program" for the varsity struggles is not valid. So as much as I like your posts put your money where your mouth is and join one of the youth coaching staffs in 2019. With that being said- I do agree with a lot what you post.
Old 10-19-18, 09:59 AM
All American

Good luck to all teams and fans tonight, half of us will be happy while the other half not.

Try to enjoy every drip drop of high school football you can while you can!!!
Old 10-19-18, 02:01 PM
All District

Quote:
Good luck to all teams and fans tonight, half of us will be happy while the other half not.

Try to enjoy every drip drop of high school football you can while you can!!!
Agreed..
Old 10-19-18, 03:36 PM
All District

Damage450 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Lion, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying on most of your posts, however, I did go to a number of youth games this year including the "bonus" games last Saturday. I can tell you that the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade teams are extremely well coached teams. it's not the 1980s and the numbers simply don't allow us to have a completely in house program. I talked to one of the coaches Saturday and he has NO KID on the team and it's like that for 4th, 5th and 6th grade. They volunteer their time and have no kids on the team. They play good hard hitting football. I know a couple of coaches have been successful in different high school programs in the past. So the "blame the youth program" for the varsity struggles is not valid. So as much as I like your posts put your money where your mouth is and join one of the youth coaching staffs in 2019. With that being said- I do agree with a lot what you post.
I wonder how many of these 3rd-6th graders end up being high school players. The "success" of youth coaches , including middle school, is in getting kids to love the sport and continue playing.
Old 10-19-18, 09:50 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
The kids in the youth program do love it- so blaming a 39 game losing streak on youth program is ludicrous. I do think they start tackle too young and should not play on a varsity field until high school/ all of the EBC schools participate in them same league. Minervaís problem are much deeper that the youth program -

Old 10-19-18, 10:28 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Alliance 42
Minerva 21

Marlington 28
West Branch 20

All the marbles next week in Alliance for the EBC!
Old 10-20-18, 01:55 AM
Varsity

Toms0655 is on a distinguished road
Week 10 for all the marbles...Marlington and alliance show down for first ever EBC title... who’s on your shortlist for POY in the league this year?
Old 10-21-18, 07:24 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms0655 View Post
Week 10 for all the marbles...Marlington and alliance show down for first ever EBC title... whoís on your shortlist for POY in the league this year?
Should be a great game. I think Greiner is POY..
Old 10-21-18, 07:29 PM
All District

Let the week 10 predictions begin:

Carrollton 35
Minerva 0
Minerva's program is at rock bottom, they are playing better defense but the offense has gotten worse since week 5.

Salem 28
West Branch 14
Salem has athletes all over the field, I think they underachieved and will be a tough match up for WB.

Marlington 28
Alliance 27
This will be a fun game!!! could go either way.

Lexington 21
Canton South 14
Don't know anything about Lexington and hope South gets a win

Last edited by NBC 1988; 10-22-18 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 08:31 PM
All Region

Quote:
It’s the EBC league we are in not our youth coaches that need to change. I know what your saying but we even played Louisville and Malvern in the Little Lions program. You would be independent and in house and be able to build from that and have scheduling flexibility. We need a change and I believe it starts with going back to our roots, Little Lions program, playing in a league that fits, remember playing East Palestine, East Canton, Claymont, etc. We need to return to a more suitable league. The 2011 Lions are history and if you see a bright spot in the program and league within the next 5 years please let me know because I am not hearing much positive. Change like I stated may be what we need. Dropping to D5 is always possible in the future.
Old 10-22-18, 07:04 AM
All District

Quote:
It’s the EBC league we are in not our youth coaches that need to change. I know what your saying but we even played Louisville and Malvern in the Little Lions program. You would be independent and in house and be able to build from that and have scheduling flexibility. We need a change and I believe it starts with going back to our roots, Little Lions program, playing in a league that fits, remember playing East Palestine, East Canton, Claymont, etc. We need to return to a more suitable league. The 2011 Lions are history and if you see a bright spot in the program and league within the next 5 years please let me know because I am not hearing much positive. Change like I stated may be what we need. Dropping to D5 is always possible in the future.
I started a Minerva thread. There is a huge game in the EBC and that should be talked about here, but I also think the State of the Minerva program needs discuss so let's take this to that thread.