Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-15-18, 06:56 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
OHSAA Transfer Rule Decision 5/16

The OHSAA is expected to announce Wednesday afternoon results of the proposed change to the transfer bylaw per Mike Dyer:

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...transfer-bylaw
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-18, 07:06 PM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
So if an athlete already transferred in the past couple weeks and moves their residence to a new school district, then that athlete will not be punished going into next season ? Appears to still be loopholes.
Old 05-15-18, 08:28 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
If someone moves? You call that a loophole? If someone moves more power to them, this is America and we are still allowed to pick up and move to the district next door when the one I am currently in is underfunded and mismanaged.
Old 05-15-18, 09:10 PM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
So if an athlete already transferred in the past couple weeks and moves their residence to a new school district, then that athlete will not be punished going into next season ? Appears to still be loopholes.
All of the exceptions are still in place just like they always have.
Old 05-15-18, 09:34 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
You also have the right to pick up and move away from a school that is overfunded and managed beautifully.

Parents use their freedom to take their kids out of great schools so they can go form super teams at the local carpetbagger school.
Old 05-15-18, 11:44 PM
All District

Just asking a question. It appears the transfer rule hasn't changed much ! Not much of a penalty for transferring. I get it's America, but they say the transfer rule has changed and I don't see much of that, so the state needs to quit acting like they did much. It's to the point the transfer rule needs to be you can do what you want when you want. This change affects very few. You either have a penalty for transferring or you don't.
Old 05-16-18, 05:20 AM
All Ohio

The new rule should eliminate the one year transfer players and probably some at every level. Although the exceptions are still in place to be used, some may think twice before relying on OHSAA to rule in their favor.
Old 05-16-18, 05:55 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
The board offices of a few school districts in my area will be busy signing kids up before midnight tonight so the new rule doesn't apply.......
Old 05-16-18, 07:05 AM
All Region

coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Man I hope they hurry up and get this done. When the OHSAA takes away choices from other parents, my kid will become a better basketball player.
Old 05-16-18, 08:53 AM
All World

Fellas the new bylaw won't take away "parents choices" to change schools--the bylaw is to require any transfer, without meeting an exception, to have the student sit out the last half of the season and tournament rather than the current first half of the season games. That way a player practices and participates in pre-season scrimmages moving right into the regular season--teams will have to prepare to play without that player as they move through the first half of the season and into the 2nd half of the season and tourney. If a family meets an exception then the player will be eligible to play the full season just as the rule is now--pretty simple change really.
Old 05-16-18, 11:07 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Fellas the new bylaw won't take away "parents choices" to change schools--the bylaw is to require any transfer, without meeting an exception, to have the student sit out the last half of the season and tournament rather than the current first half of the season games. That way a player practices and participates in pre-season scrimmages moving right into the regular season--teams will have to prepare to play without that player as they move through the first half of the season and into the 2nd half of the season and tourney. If a family meets an exception then the player will be eligible to play the full season just as the rule is now--pretty simple change really.
It is a simple change however, the kids who are transferring are not role players. These are kids (in most cases) that significantly make a team better. While the rule is simple when you go into the regular season your team begins to rely on the "new" player. When a team has to transition to the 2nd half and post season you will not see the "AAU" teams in state championships. If these kids transfer as Freshman or Sophomores they will certainly have their shot. However, if a player decides to transfer as a junior they will only have 1 shot at their goal (if it is to win a championship) and if they transfer as a senior their HS career will end much earlier.

While it is a simple change, it will deter many kids from trying to join their AAU teammates, and the impact I believe will be significant if the change passes.
Old 05-16-18, 11:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
It is a simple change however, the kids who are transferring are not role players. These are kids (in most cases) that significantly make a team better. While the rule is simple when you go into the regular season your team begins to rely on the "new" player. When a team has to transition to the 2nd half and post season you will not see the "AAU" teams in state championships. If these kids transfer as Freshman or Sophomores they will certainly have their shot. However, if a player decides to transfer as a junior they will only have 1 shot at their goal (if it is to win a championship) and if they transfer as a senior their HS career will end much earlier.

While it is a simple change, it will deter many kids from trying to join their AAU teammates, and the impact I believe will be significant if the change passes.
BINGO--
Old 05-16-18, 11:28 AM
All Ohio

chlnewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Sorry but not bingo. These teams that put together these AAU teams for the most part are circumventing the rules by creating addresses for kids moving in, or taking advantage of by law loopholes Etc.. a majority of Big Time transfers are not currently sitting out any games, and if they continue on the same path will not currently sit out any games in the future. In my opinion this is another weak attempt by OHSAA to stop a troubling problem.
Old 05-16-18, 12:11 PM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlnewbie View Post
Sorry but not bingo. These teams that put together these AAU teams for the most part are circumventing the rules by creating addresses for kids moving in, or taking advantage of by law loopholes Etc.. a majority of Big Time transfers are not currently sitting out any games, and if they continue on the same path will not currently sit out any games in the future. In my opinion this is another weak attempt by OHSAA to stop a troubling problem.
What is the answer then? There's no good way to close the loopholes in the transfer bylaws without penalizing kids who play sports other than football or basketball (or kids who do play them) who legit move to a different district. Whatever the OHSAA puts in place, someone will find a way around it.
Old 05-16-18, 12:14 PM
All Ohio

What loopholes are we talking about?
Old 05-16-18, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
What is the answer then? There's no good way to close the loopholes in the transfer bylaws without penalizing kids who play sports other than football or basketball (or kids who do play them) who legit move to a different district. Whatever the OHSAA puts in place, someone will find a way around it.
I agree, the answer is the only real deterrent is a severe punishment to those who cheat! Kids transfer everyday, and no one cares until a team wins Big, or it happens to be a specific schools best player. OHSAA doesn't need to get into that business.. what they need to do is deter those schools that cheat. Until that is the focus all they are doing is punishing a good majority of kids who transfer for good reason.
Old 05-16-18, 12:39 PM
All World

New bylaw passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 450-244--chlnewbie not sure about your response to my bingo--as this is a bingo to keep kids from transferring simply for sports and playing with buddies to win state championships. Give em them the first half of the season and then the tournament is set with your 2nd half of the season eligible team. Obviously the vast majority of Ohio schools like this provision--kids can still transfer and play 1/2 of a season--it's just the 1st half!
Old 05-16-18, 12:57 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
New bylaw passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 450-244--chlnewbie not sure about your response to my bingo--as this is a bingo to keep kids from transferring simply for sports and playing with buddies to win state championships. Give em them the first half of the season and then the tournament is set with your 2nd half of the season eligible team. Obviously the vast majority of Ohio schools like this provision--kids can still transfer and play 1/2 of a season--it's just the 1st half!
My response to you is that this rule does nothing regarding those who cheat. For those circumventing the rules they could care less whether it's the first half or the second half of the season, because they weren't sitting out to begin with. That's the reason for my response. This rule does nothing to prohibit cheating.
Old 05-16-18, 01:08 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I still wish they went with my rule. Transfers can play 100% of the regular season and 0% of the postseason. No exceptions.

This is the smallest possible "punishment" to legitimate transfers and the biggest deterrent to assembling teams for a tournament run.
Old 05-16-18, 01:44 PM
All Yappi

Don Flamenco
Quote:
The OHSAA is expected to announce Wednesday afternoon results of the proposed change to the transfer bylaw per Mike Dyer:

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...transfer-bylaw
A much much needed rule. This will cut down on the recruiting / transfer market big-time.
Old 05-16-18, 02:00 PM
All District

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I still wish they went with my rule. Transfers can play 100% of the regular season and 0% of the postseason. No exceptions.

This is the smallest possible "punishment" to legitimate transfers and the biggest deterrent to assembling teams for a tournament run.
I agree but I would add one exception. If the prior school was more than 50 miles away from new school then can play in post season.
Old 05-16-18, 02:25 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
I agree but I would add one exception. If the prior school was more than 50 miles away from new school then can play in post season.
If someone moved their residence 50 miles to a new school they will be able to play the whole season and post season--no sitting out if a family physically moves.
Old 05-16-18, 03:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If someone moved their residence 50 miles to a new school they will be able to play the whole season and post season--no sitting out if a family physically moves.
He was responding to my idea of no exceptions. It would take care of alot of problems but I know that it is not going to happen because people would think it was too much of a punishment.
Old 05-16-18, 07:26 PM
All District

humblechicajp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

ONLY partially what you’ve stated is correct, if a athlete transfers to a school that requires you to live in the district the athlete will not sit at all, the exception would be Bylaw 472
Old 05-16-18, 08:02 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Does anyone have the actual language? From the article it sounds like if there is a bonafide move from district to district the athlete will be eligible to play all season.
Old 05-16-18, 09:24 PM
All District

Appears that way. The rich will get richer and the disgruntled parents will be happy moving the average Johnny to the school of their choice. Don't know if this rule will ever really change.
Old 05-16-18, 10:00 PM
All Ohio

Permit a transfer student who does not meet an exception to be eligible insofar as transfer is concerned for all contests
ONLY until the first 50% of the maximum allowable regular season contests have been competed in any sport the
student played in the 12 months immediately preceding the transfer. Thereafter, the student shall be ineligible for the
remainder of the regular season contests AND the OHSAA sponsored tournament in that sport (s).
Old 05-16-18, 10:21 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
The exemptions are still going to be taken advantage of- have been for years. When we first moved to Ohio, it had teeth and very few kids were granted exemptions (they were public record and the denials were significantly more than approvals). The risk is greater for those that transfer where before the worst that could happen is you miss some games, now you miss out on the post season and any acoloades that go with that for the year.

But as long as families are willing to jump through hoops and exaggerate or flat out lie to get their kid an exemption doubt this won't have much teeth either.
Old 05-17-18, 08:40 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
The exemptions are still going to be taken advantage of- have been for years. When we first moved to Ohio, it had teeth and very few kids were granted exemptions (they were public record and the denials were significantly more than approvals). The risk is greater for those that transfer where before the worst that could happen is you miss some games, now you miss out on the post season and any acoloades that go with that for the year.

But as long as families are willing to jump through hoops and exaggerate or flat out lie to get their kid an exemption doubt this won't have much teeth either.
It is really very simple. The burden of enforcing the rules falls upon each school district. If parents are cheating it is up to the school to follow the process in place to verify any exemption is legit. If a school is breaking the rules they voted to uphold as a member then those adults should not be educating our kids.
Old 05-17-18, 10:27 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
The schools are more likely to make sure they cannot be proven invalid than they are to be sure that they are legitimate. Bullying for example is an exemption used, what school is going to say in this day "you were not bullied" if a family says their kid was and has any written record of an incident? Or academic- if the kids family says he is transferring becuase another school has more AP options, even if their kid is a 2.0 student at best and skipped school several days- as long as they say the new school has better academic options they get to transfer without sitting. These are real examples of exemptions granted- parents will do anything to get their kid "ahead" in sports.