Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-18, 08:16 PM
Freshman

WalshBacker is on a distinguished road
Transfer restrictions are only in place to protect bad public school coaches. There are minimal exceptions except being able to transfer with no penalty to your public school.

There is no reason that kids that aren’t playing, clash with their coaches or teammates, or just looking for a better environment shouldn’t be able to transfer without penalty.

Poor kids can move into new section 8 housing. Rich kids can rent an apartment and establish residency. Everyone else is stuck.

How about the public school coaches coach the kids who want to play for them and stop whining about the kids who don't want to play for them and leave.
Old 05-18-18, 07:06 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshBacker View Post
Transfer restrictions are only in place to protect bad public school coaches. There are minimal exceptions except being able to transfer with no penalty to your public school.

There is no reason that kids that aren’t playing, clash with their coaches or teammates, or just looking for a better environment shouldn’t be able to transfer without penalty.

Poor kids can move into new section 8 housing. Rich kids can rent an apartment and establish residency. Everyone else is stuck.

How about the public school coaches coach the kids who want to play for them and stop whining about the kids who don't want to play for them and leave.
Most public school coaches do coach only the kids they have. That's the point, they want it to be that way for everyone.

Of the 450 schools that voted for this change, I would guess a majority of were made by school who have been beat by the so called AAU teams and not by schools who lost a player.
Old 05-18-18, 08:11 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
After carefully reading through every post in this thread, it appears schools who built programs with transfers who were listed as actually "moving" into the new district would not fall under any restriction.

Was mentioned above it is up to the district to prevent cheating. That will not work if the school already is looking at how they can skirt around these rules.

I tend to agree with the viewpoint above that the new rule will more likely have the unintended consequence of school, coach and parent all working harder to find a way to get the exemption rather than allow the new rule to prohibit their path to playing for that state title.
Old 05-18-18, 08:25 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
This rule will prevent the rampant transferring to private schools. One local star player just transferred, as a junior no less, from one private to another. Purely for sports.

If a family moves it should be an exception.
Old 05-18-18, 09:22 AM
All District

sprtsfan247 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Come on man. . . I am tired of seeing that kids are transferring for a better "school" Did the 5 or 6 players that transferred to Lutheran East all transfer there for a better school? Oh and it just so happened that they all had connections to a specific AAU program. Oh and they also transferred their senior year. You are telling me that these kids needed three years to figure out the best "school". They transferred so they could go to a basketball school to hopefully win a state title. Which they did. It was unfair to other teams.
Old 05-18-18, 11:05 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post
Come on man. . . I am tired of seeing that kids are transferring for a better "school" Did the 5 or 6 players that transferred to Lutheran East all transfer there for a better school? Oh and it just so happened that they all had connections to a specific AAU program. Oh and they also transferred their senior year. You are telling me that these kids needed three years to figure out the best "school". They transferred so they could go to a basketball school to hopefully win a state title. Which they did. It was unfair to other teams.
100% correct sprtsfan247
Old 05-18-18, 05:32 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Some really bad, yet successful, private coaches just got nervous.

I'd like to see some coaches of these urban Catholic schools that miraculously have 200 boys in the school and 80% are great athletes, most going for free, have to actually coach kids up.

There are some really mediocre coaches out there that would be exposed if they had to develop kids like an Ottawa-Glandorf.
Old 05-19-18, 06:48 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Will this new " transfer " rule prevent a coach from recruiting a team like Deer Park had this past season ? If not it did not solve anything.
Old 05-19-18, 12:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
This will effect the privates more since they have no district residence /eligibility requirements. Bill Cunningham Elite will continue to roll on...Since the OHSAA relies on district compliance publics with no ethics can continue to skirt the rules...Have you followed the Dunbar debacle? The ridiculous part of all of of this is the belief that member schools will police themselves...if that were how life worked we could eliminate all law enforcement...people would simply turn themselves in when they committed violations. There is no point to having any rules at all if there is no independent agency or committee with the power of investigation. One usually must hang out at a dog racing track to find people of the quality of these so called "AD's"....Almost all schools do try to comply and do a nice job...only takes a few bad apples to spoil it for everyone.
Old 05-19-18, 01:55 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Will this new " transfer " rule prevent a coach from recruiting a team like Deer Park had this past season ? If not it did not solve anything.
None of the transfers will play the last half of the season or tournament--not sure how many from that team would've fallen under the new rule.
Old 05-19-18, 02:55 PM
Freshman

WalshBacker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsfan247 View Post

Come on man...And you think this situation is going to change with the new rule? If a students wants to transfer, he/she will transfer. Johnny or Sally will change addresses and move in with their cousin, aunt, uncle, grandmother, or coach and will now be eligible for the entire season.

There any plenty of public schools doing well, thriving and winning state championships. Deer Park (Public) beat Lutheran East this year.
Old 05-19-18, 05:22 PM
All Region

Quote:
Come on man...And you think this situation is going to change with the new rule? If a students wants to transfer, he/she will transfer. Johnny or Sally will change addresses and move in with their cousin, aunt, uncle, grandmother, or coach and will now be eligible for the entire season.
It's not that easy. A moving student has to live with a custodial parent. If this happens then the school is not following the rule.
Old 05-21-18, 06:03 AM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Man I hope they hurry up and get this done. When the OHSAA takes away choices from other parents, my kid will become a better basketball player.
Best comment yet on this idiotic rule.
Old 05-21-18, 11:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
Best comment yet on this idiotic rule.
I like the rule. What is concerning to me is that we need a rule like this to deal with idiots.
Old 05-21-18, 02:24 PM
All District

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
None of the transfers will play the last half of the season or tournament--not sure how many from that team would've fallen under the new rule.
You can figure this one out. How many sat out the first half of the season?
Now you can be sure.
Old 05-22-18, 09:18 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by humblechicajp View Post
ONLY partially what you’ve stated is correct, if a athlete transfers to a school that requires you to live in the district the athlete will not sit at all, the exception would be Bylaw 472
You are the expert on this one! Sorry couldnt resist
Old 05-22-18, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There any plenty of public schools doing well, thriving and winning state championships. Deer Park (Public) beat Lutheran East this year.
Deer Park had almost 10 kids "move" into the district in 2 years
Old 05-22-18, 09:53 AM
Varsity

WreckingBall is on a distinguished road
Ok, here's a scenario I recently heard about and was wondering how this will be ruled.

There's a player who lives in district A, which is a failing district, and was open enrolled in district B throughout middle school. He attended a private school for his freshman year of HS.

He just re-enrolled at district B. Is he going to have to sit?
Old 05-22-18, 12:15 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckingBall View Post
Ok, here's a scenario I recently heard about and was wondering how this will be ruled.

There's a player who lives in district A, which is a failing district, and was open enrolled in district B throughout middle school. He attended a private school for his freshman year of HS.

He just re-enrolled at district B. Is he going to have to sit?
On the limited info I would say yes, he sits because the exception for a one time transfer from private is to your home district. But since he was already open enrolled and the family could prove financial hardship in paying a private tuition(because he is not good enough to attend for free) the OHSAA may rule an exception.
Old 05-22-18, 03:43 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
I locked my keys in my truck a while back. I got out to put some trash in the dumpster at my office with my truck running and my golden doodle stepped on the lock button.

The wife wasn't home to bring me a spare key so I called a towing service. The guy takes out a little kit that included a wedge to pry open the insulation on the door window and a gadget with a hook. From the time he got the wedge in place, it took 10 seconds to open the lock.

I was amazed. I asked him, "If it's that easy, why do we lock our doors?" He said, "It keeps the honest people honest." Lol.

The application to this is that no rule will prevent dishonest people from being dishonest. I'm not saying you don't need rules, but trying to fix problems with rules generally creates more problems - and chips away at honest people's freedoms in the process.

The problem has been stated right here on this thread - "schools recruiting AAU teams for a tourny run" or one very talented player changing the competitive balance of a district/regional/state division. If you like legislating, legislate against that specifically.

I guess this rule does create a disincentive, but I'd like to see the core problem addressed. Instead of treating all transfers the same, separate out the kids who are so talented that they can, individually or collectively, create an unlevel playing field. Since the OHSAA clearly doesn't want to take that on, then I would prefer they go in the direction of allowing as much freedom of movement for parents and kids as possible.
Old 05-22-18, 10:54 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
The main goal is not prevent “super teams” but to protect the kids. Moving multiple times during high school just for sports is not good for teenagers academically. If the rules put in place are a deterrent to keep parents from yanking their kids around chasing athletic success then they are doing as intended.
Old 05-22-18, 11:09 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by IVCguy View Post
I would prefer they go in the direction of allowing as much freedom of movement for parents and kids as possible.
Honestly, I think that day is coming sooner rather than later. When that happens, I suspect that link between academics and athletics will be broken and most sports will be AAU style.

If that happens, interest in youth sports will fade away to almost nothing besides parents and family members. On the bright side, school budgets will shrink a bit.
Old 05-23-18, 08:58 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Honestly, I think that day is coming sooner rather than later. When that happens, I suspect that link between academics and athletics will be broken and most sports will be AAU style.

If that happens, interest in youth sports will fade away to almost nothing besides parents and family members. On the bright side, school budgets will shrink a bit.
In some sports this may be true but many schools will not look to give up their income sports as easy as they would their non income sports. Example::: Could you imagine is a school could choose to only have Football, basketball, soccer and volleyball.
Old 05-25-18, 09:49 AM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
I think this rule was not to have seniors transfer! This does hurt them more than anybody.
Old 05-29-18, 06:12 PM
All District

IVCguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

I hear you. Just make sure you note that freedom of movement was my second choice. My first would be that the OHSAA address the core of what the problem is, not dance around it.

I remember watching an early 80s state championship game between Moeller and Mass Washington in football at Ohio Stadium. I never dreamed a team could be assembled that looked like Moeller. They had 5 of every kind of player you would want at every position it appeared. Massillon had the best player on the field - some guy named Chris Spielman. I was in awe of everything about Moeller and Spielman. Moeller won the game - of course.

But to this day, when the subject of competitive balance and transfers come up, I think back to that game. I don't want the Moeller's to not exist. M Wash is also known as a big transfer destination. In fact, Stark County is known for it. The biggest topic of conversation this time of year is what new players county schools are getting from other county schools or elsewhere.

I guess my point is that this has been going on a long time. The level of whining and complaining about it has increased x 100 tho. Maybe the whining and complaining (which I have joined in at times) was always there, but social media has just given it a greater voice. I don't know.

My main point would be simply to let teams accept transfers and build their team within reasonable limits, but slot them for tournament/playoff competition based on the talent they have assembled. The big problem comes when a DIV team has DI talent in hoops or a DV or VI team has DI talent in football. People want to talk about blurry concepts like "transfer loopholes" or, even, "competitive balance", but when a team is competing in a division that does not match the talent level of the rest of the division, THAT is the problem. Address that problem, or stop trying to say you are addressing the problem.
Old 05-30-18, 12:15 PM
Freshman

Fan22 is on a distinguished road
Can we drop the academics argument about transferring. Be interested how many posters, upon seeing their friends bring up the glory days of Mr. Smiths Science class, none. Everybody talks about the good/bad of whatever their particular extracirculars were. It's where most kids spend most of their time, so if being at one school opposed to another is where they're happiest, who cares.

Sick of hearing what's fair and what's not, is it fair that someone that works in Akron but lives in another community pays taxes towards Akrons new schools? My bad " Community Centers". Yet, they live in a district that can't pass a levy.

Why do grown men care where kids go to school? Seems like bittnerness to me, you didn't get what you thought you deserved. Worry about your own kids, those are the only kids where your opinion matters.
Old 05-31-18, 07:32 AM
All Region

Someone is definitely bitter.
Old 05-31-18, 02:09 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
At the end of the day people are mad if a coach got mouth piece and can get kids to transfer and come to their school. They are treating the high school program like it is college, a stepping stone to college. That is where AAU helps out! I am not a fan of AAU but that is where kids benefit from it.
Old 06-04-18, 09:20 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Enrollment numbers recount

Schools should be able apply for a competitive balance recount at the end of the school year after students transfer out.
Old 06-04-18, 10:24 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
Schools should be able apply for a competitive balance recount at the end of the school year after students transfer out.
Everything is based off of the previous season. If you take that away the formula is completely ineffective.