Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who will win the Suburban League American?
Aurora 4 22.22%
Barberton 1 5.56%
Copley 1 5.56%
Highland 2 11.11%
Kent Roosevelt 1 5.56%
Revere 1 5.56%
Tallmadge 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-17, 02:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Coffee Black is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
And there you have it, you got your info from the Highland baseball Game Changer. Age old problem, trying to decipher any high school scorebook, and the inconsistencies found within. Usually two bench riding sophomores alternate between operating the field scorebook, and keeping the "official" book. But in Highland's case, they have elected to allow a team dad to keep the official electronic book via Game Changer, so what could go wrong? The stats via Highland's Game Changer in the Copley games were all over the map. Kids getting credit for hits they never had, giving rbi's for kids on double plays, phantom errors to name a few. So, I have to go with Yappi's analysis on the actual box score in the Tallmadge Highland game. The lesson I learned quite awhile ago is that for the most part high school stats mean squat. They can be fabricated, manipulated and or altered in so many ways. Great players will always be great players, regardless what Game Changer says on any specific day. Just use common sense and trust your eyes, regardless of what the box score says. Got to love the kid who runs up to the score keeper to see if they got credit for an apparent flared single, and then listening to their father tout the kids batting average, and how it will translate into some kind of all conference selection. It just gets pretty comical at times.
Pretty sure the only stats that count are W's and L's. Last time I checked Highland is 4-0 in the SLA, so who cares what they enter in their Gamechanger.
Old 04-19-17, 03:00 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Black View Post
Pretty sure the only stats that count are W's and L's. Last time I checked Highland is 4-0 in the SLA, so who cares what they enter in their Gamechanger.
The hits stat was just a comment about the game. Tallmadge has hit well all season but have had some games they struggled to score some runs. Their pitching has been pretty good at limiting hits but struggled with control at times. Both happened last night.

I wish more people would take the time to comment about games they were at. It makes this section more interesting.
Old 04-19-17, 04:24 PM
Varsity

imdabank is on a distinguished road
Highland losing to Revere 1-5. Looks like an upset in the works. 4 unearned runs allowed by Highland. Coach of the year doing it again, too long of a rope for the starting pitcher. Walks, walks and more walks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-17, 05:39 PM
Go Buckeyes

Aurora Game vs Shaker has been suspended with Aurora leading 8-3 in the top of the 3rd inning. Make-up TBD
Old 04-19-17, 05:51 PM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdabank View Post
Highland losing to Revere 1-5. Looks like an upset in the works. 4 unearned runs allowed by Highland. Coach of the year doing it again, too long of a rope for the starting pitcher. Walks, walks and more walks.

Last time I saw a score it was 9-4 Revere in bottom of 4th, but rain was coming in.

Any update on this?
Old 04-19-17, 06:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

Revere Twitter:
Quote:
Varsity game suspended in the top of the 5th. Revere up 9-7. We will resume the game next Thursday at Revere, then play the second game.
Old 04-19-17, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Revere Twitter:
Worst thing that could have happened for Revere. Highland will now win that game.
Old 04-19-17, 09:16 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
Worst thing that could have happened for Revere. Highland will now win that game.

IDK Highland was real sloppy today. Revere came ready to play. Highland may be lucky it was rain suspended. I think they thought they would roll right over Revere without much effort. At one point it was 9-1 Revere. Highland battled back before rain came

Old 04-19-17, 09:19 PM
Varsity

Tomorrow Highland-Tallmadge game
should be interesting. Highland is in the middle of a 7 game straight stretch. They look tired today. One of top top starters is injured.

Old 04-19-17, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Which starter for Highland is injured?
Old 04-20-17, 05:12 AM
All Yappi

tallmadge H2 dad will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Tomorrow Highland-Tallmadge game
should be interesting. Highland is in the middle of a 7 game straight stretch. They look tired today. One of top top starters is injured.

An absolute must win for Tallmadge if they want any chance of winning the league. If they lose, time to start preparing for playoffs.
Old 04-20-17, 06:50 AM
All American

BlueDevil Backer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Which starter for Highland is injured?
I believe Billy Keller. He departed in the 1st inning versus Tallmadge Tuesday with an apparent arm injury while pitching.

Any Highland parents have any info on how the young man is doing? Best wishes to the young man on a speedy recovery and hoping it isn't serious.
Old 04-20-17, 09:01 AM
All Ohio

From the beginning of the pre season I have expressed the opinion that Tallmadge should be considered a front runner for the Suburban League Americian title. After seeing half the season or more unfold, and seeing most of the competition, I still feel they have the most talent top to bottom, but find themselves in a must win situation with Highland just to keep their title hopes alive. Be it bad breaks, a bad game or two, or just stupid bad luck, just feel they should be the one controlling their own destiny at this point in the season, not looking for outside help in bringing Highland/Aurora back to the pack. I'm sure they will do very well in the upcoming tournament, but really thought this year they would head into the tourney also as Suburban American champs.
Old 04-20-17, 09:26 AM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
Good points on Tallmadge. I know it's nice to win league titles, but I also know most good coaches would give up the league for a shot at a district title.
Old 04-20-17, 09:39 AM
All Ohio

Certainly agree a successful tournament run should be any team's priority, but after a few years of solid tournament runs, Tallmadge should be in a position with this group of kids to accomplish both. Just learned that Highland's pitcher, Billy Keller, who left in the first inning of the Tallmadge/Highland game yesterday, apparently has a partially torn UCL. High school season over for the young man, summer season TBD. Saying out 6 weeks, but have to question anything regarding any arm injury w/out an MRI being done. Just wish the young man a speedy recovery. Certainly puts Highland in a different position moving forward, losing their #1.
Old 04-20-17, 10:07 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmadge H2 dad View Post
An absolute must win for Tallmadge if they want any chance of winning the league. If they lose, time to start preparing for playoffs.

Highland hoping for a rain out tonight. Need rest. Injuries starting to mount.

Old 04-20-17, 10:09 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Certainly agree a successful tournament run should be any team's priority, but after a few years of solid tournament runs, Tallmadge should be in a position with this group of kids to accomplish both. Just learned that Highland's pitcher, Billy Keller, who left in the first inning of the Tallmadge/Highland game yesterday, apparently has a partially torn UCL. High school season over for the young man, summer season TBD. Saying out 6 weeks, but have to question anything regarding any arm injury w/out an MRI being done. Just wish the young man a speedy recovery. Certainly puts Highland in a different position moving forward, losing their #1.

Ouch, two of Highlands top arms Schroth and Keller out for season. Now what?

Old 04-20-17, 10:42 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Ouch, two of Highlands top arms Schroth and Keller out for season. Now what?

Schroth has been unable to pitch all season, if I had heard correctly. Hockey injury ?

They certainly could use him on the mound, especially now, but they seem to have adjusted.

Next man up.
Old 04-20-17, 12:05 PM
All Ohio

Problem is after awhile for most high school teams, there aren't many "next man up" pitchers available to fill the void. Highland started the season with a very deep pitching staff, and now due to injuries, they are down to what most squads have regarding pitching quality and depth. Eventually, the talent level on the mound drops pretty quickly after the top 2-3. Lastly, high school coaches aren't really able to develop pitchers, or other position players for that matter. It's up to the kids themselves to be prepared to play. With such a short season, cancelled games, lack of practice time, etc, there just isn't enough time to do so. Pitchers are developed during the off season, when they can work with qualified instructors on a weekly basis to improve their craft, along with playing in quality summer travel ball tournaments against top competition. Not so much during March thru April. Those days are long gone. High school coaches are limited to the quality of in district athletes who elect to play high school baseball for the most part. If you are fortunate enough to inherit some quality pitching, then you may benefit from their off season progress. If a high school coach has to rely on pitchers who just show up for high school baseball season w/out properly preparing themselves, then the results will be pretty obvious.
Old 04-20-17, 12:13 PM
All Yappi

If they throw off or cancel some OoC, I get it. They should remain in contention for the league if they wake up while finishing Revere, though. Somebody needs to put another loss on Aurora in conference, too.

Getting ahead of things here, but if the Hornets and Greenmen only lose to each other in conference, what is the tie-breaker ? Shared title ?
Old 04-20-17, 12:57 PM
Varsity

Ah...you brought up one of my frustrations with HS baseball. In our case, the HS coach does nothing to teach, develop or "coach" the players. He's just a "monitor"....as the life lock commercial goes....what good is monitoring if you don't do anything about it.
Old 04-20-17, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

Yet your Highland baseball coach is a summer coach with one of the IVL summer teams, which is more than a little interesting. Actually heard the guy gathered the group of IVL 17 U boys together at the conclusion of off season training, days before high school try outs were to start, (which includes more than a few Highland ball players), and basically told them to forget anything they learned or heard during IVL, off season workouts and that starting at tryouts, they were all his now, and to forget what they were taught or positions they were preparing to play. Actually caught more than a few parents by surprise, considering he was an IVL coach. True to form, he moved more than a few of those kids out of position, and limited many talented underclassmen playing time. But, he did it his way, whether that's a good thing or not we soon shall see.
Old 04-20-17, 01:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Getting ahead of things here, but if the Hornets and Greenmen only lose to each other in conference, what is the tie-breaker ? Shared title ?
Shared title. No tie-breakers in the Suburban League.
Old 04-20-17, 01:50 PM
Varsity

Wow...doesn't surprise me though. Many Highland families are not a fan and are frustrated with the "monitor". Don't forget he hasn't yet coached an IVL Team through a summer season. He was just announced at end of summer/early fall last year. He was Ohio Scrappers prior, do they still exist?
Here's something that really burns my butt, during tryouts not one single stat or measurement was recorded for any players. All decision made from just watching and who donates the most $$ to the boosters.
Old 04-20-17, 02:45 PM
All Yappi

But you are da bank.

You haven't outbid the other daddies for your kid's starting spot ? Did he tick you off ? Don't like the Boosters ?

Highland is undefeated in the league, the only team to beat Aurora, but they're just lucky, and the coach is a dope. Got it.

You guys are something special
Old 04-20-17, 04:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
But you are da bank.

You haven't outbid the other daddies for your kid's starting spot ? Did he tick you off ? Don't like the Boosters ?

Highland is undefeated in the league, the only team to beat Aurora, but they're just lucky, and the coach is a dope. Got it.

You guys are something special

You are funny Mr. Baseball genius. Do you really have 24,627 posts in this forum?

Old 04-20-17, 05:57 PM
All Yappi

If you really think I'm a genius, you haven't been paying attention.....

Thanks for the vote of confidence, just the same. I'm here for ya!
Old 04-20-17, 06:38 PM
All District

MERKLE is on a distinguished road
It is sad that there seems to be far too few quality coaches that look out for all the kids best interests, yet still are able to compete.

We find it easy to rip coaches, but who do you guys think are the best coaches in the area?

I know this will be somewhat subjective, but I'll throw 2 names out there, not just "win at all cost" guys, but good guys outside the lines. Mike Haney @ Kent and Drew Hoisington @ Nordonia.
Old 04-20-17, 07:52 PM
Go Buckeyes

Aurora 9, Copley 4
Kent Roosevelt 12, Barberton 11
Old 04-20-17, 08:38 PM
Varsity

Grissom @ Highland Bahahahahahaha