Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-21-18, 10:46 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKnowIt View Post
You can add Cornerstone to the list of these schools as well. A couple kids from Elyria, two from Shaker. I am sure they just all go for the private education. You can just look at CCA competitive balance number.

Base Enrollment of a 42
After Competitive Balance they have an enrollment number of 86

fishy if you ask me, you double the size of your school and somehow they are doing things by the books.....

I do agree with you though Lutheran East did the same thing last year, 5 new starters and they win a state championship. If the OHSAA is going to allow you to cheat and bring in recruits then why not just keep doing it.
Unless CCA is getting late high school career transfers, they are not cheaters. CCA is D4, they are a relatively small school even with their multiplier. I believe their feeder school is an on site elementary school, so of course their multiplier is high, they still have to get students in the school and pay the teachers and the light bill.
Old 02-21-18, 10:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
It will pass because there are way more schools harmed than helped! My question is this: If a senior comes to your program do you keep him or cut him? Do you play underclassmen varsity or JV knowing they can’t help them team when it matters most?
VASJ has had several prominent Jr and Sr student athletes approach our school and coach and they were told they wouldn't play. They went elsewhere including out of state prep schools. The reason is that it is not fair to the kids that started on Day 1 of 9th grade. If you start taking upper class transfers, your program will eventually implode.
Old 02-21-18, 11:57 PM
Freshman

Eagle22 is on a distinguished road
I still don’t see this passing. It is just a strange suggestion. Having a kid play half a season and then be forced to quit is nothing short of strange. I love the idea of no seniors transferring without the already current exceptions. This would eliminate a huge part of the issue. I think the rule needs tweaked, but coming up with something that puts coaches in a really tough spot isn’t the answer.
Old 02-22-18, 04:11 AM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
People outside the private schools always seem to know what goes on or assumes what they feel is going on. Again I can only speak for the school I follow and that my son attended. I know the best player at the time in Ohio VJ King was unhappy with SVSM after I believe his sophomore season and his father was shopping his services and VASJ and Ed's was on his list. He approached both schools and was turned down at both. Who wouldn't want a player like that - but neither school would just give the kid a starting spot and the tuition the Father was seeking. VASJ lost 2 and very possibly 3 D1 recruits (two played hoops but went to Ohio State for football) because of playing time and tuition issues. People see the teams Joe's puts together and assume they travel the countryside to acquire talent when the truth is in many cases the players select the school.

I'm not stupid and I know many kids pick Joe's in the hope their basketball talent will be developed and showcased in an effort to obtain a college scholarship. That does not change the fact that they have to maintain acedemic standards and GPA's higher than state minimums to remain eligible. I'm sure if you are an elite athlete everything possible is done to get your foot in the door - but once your in the door it's up to the child to remain there. Here is another example. In 2016 Joe's lost an elite center who would have made the difference in the Vikings being state runner ups to state champs. The player ended up at Euclid and the main reason was grades. There is no free pass just because you are a good athlete. Like I said before having others pay kids tuitions or kids getting FREE education just is not true. I don't know how other schools do it but Joe's has a Founders Day event when a lot of money is given out in the form of scholarships. The money goes to ALL students - not just athletes. While the money in some cases is quite substantial - it does not erase a students tuition. Joe's has lost several kids to local schools and even other privates because the family either could no longer afford the school or the child could not maintain the acedemic standards and went elsewhere. Like I said in a previous post there are 45 or so kids in the program and everybody knows each other. Many of the kids are gifted atheletes. Could you imagine the problem Joe's would have if word got out (and it would somehow) that some kids were going to school for free while another star player paid ?

I'm not saying VASJ is perfect because I don't know every deal that goes on behind close doors or promises that are made - but I can tell you what does go on is nothing like many of you think or post on this site. My issue with the main public school and coach at the center of many complaints is this. The private schools do have an advantage by having the ability to attract students from pretty much anywhere and public schools don't unless they have open enrollment. That is why public schools complained and the competitive balance proposal is now a reality. Garfield Heights does not have open enrollment so recruiting players outside your school district is against the rules that are in place by the OHSAA. Everybody knows while these transfers may have a Garfield address much of the students time is spent at residences outside the Garfield city limits. The problem is nobody investigates these transfers to make sure they are legit. Not just at Garfield - but everywhere. Then on top of it you have a head coach who is heavily involved in AAU in all grades including high school that has access to ALL schools kids. This proposal effects ALL schools and hopefully will reduce both public and private schools from losing their top talent to schools looking to take shortcuts in an attempt to be successful. I'm all for any rule that reduces the ever growing transfer issue that effects all divisions of Ohio basketball. I think if a school gets busted breaking these rules it will make schools and players think twice. But until that happens there is no deterrent for schools to openly go after other schools top players. It is only going to take one high profile school to get a post season ban or a season or two of probation to reduce this issue.
Old 02-22-18, 09:05 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
216, what proof do you have of actual recruiting vs. players seeking out schools and moving into a district for a better chance to get a Scholarship ? The 'rumors' i've heard are parents moving their kids to a different program vs. players being recruited.

You post very good content on this site, but my one issue is that you freak out when anyone posts rumors or theories about your school, but then immediately attack other schools based on rumors and theories. If you do have proof why not provide it to the ohsaa and they can investigate?
Old 02-22-18, 09:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Potential View Post
216, what proof do you have of actual recruiting vs. players seeking out schools and moving into a district for a better chance to get a Scholarship ? The 'rumors' i've heard are parents moving their kids to a different program vs. players being recruited.

You post very good content on this site, but my one issue is that you freak out when anyone posts rumors or theories about your school, but then immediately attack other schools based on rumors and theories. If you do have proof why not provide it to the ohsaa and they can investigate?
OHSAA generally will not speak to or respond to the accusations or concerns of 3rd party private individuals. They work for the member schools and official complaints need to come from the administration of the school along with supporting proof. Whatever people hear, even second hand from the student or school means nothing unless a formal complaint is filed with the proof to back it up.
Old 02-22-18, 09:52 AM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Unless CCA is getting late high school career transfers, they are not cheaters. CCA is D4, they are a relatively small school even with their multiplier. I believe their feeder school is an on site elementary school, so of course their multiplier is high, they still have to get students in the school and pay the teachers and the light bill.

The competitive Balance number does not count just your regular population. The number only counts kids on your basketball roster. So yes CCA is getting transfers late in their HS careers. To have a base enrollement of 42 and then double that with your basketball roster is just mind boggling. Yet, OHSAA finds no problems with it.

CCA will beat everyone in the DIV state tournament by 15+ it will be boring to watch. It ruins small school basketball. It will be the third straight year a school that gets big time transfers in wins the small school state title.......
Old 02-22-18, 01:22 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The competitive Balance number does not count just your regular population. The number only counts kids on your basketball roster. So yes CCA is getting transfers late in their HS careers. To have a base enrollement of 42 and then double that with your basketball roster is just mind boggling. Yet, OHSAA finds no problems with it.

CCA will beat everyone in the DIV state tournament by 15+ it will be boring to watch. It ruins small school basketball. It will be the third straight year a school that gets big time transfers in wins the small school state title.......
My point was that private schools cannot survive without kids coming to their school from outside their feeder schools. In VASJ's case, I believe our feeder schools are Our Lady of the Lake and St Robert Williams. Those schools have about 40, 8th graders each. If we got every single one of those students, that would only be 80 kids per incoming class. A school cannot survive getting 80 kids per class, and that assumes we get every student which we don't. With the feeder schools, Lake, Iggy, Bene, Beaumont, NDCL, and Euclid High are always in play. CCA has an even smaller feeder school system, they have to get students from all over whether they play a sport or not. At our school, at least 60% of the kids play a sport, most play 2 or more. They aren't just coming to the school to play sports but most do participate in sports.

To clarify, let's define the word "transfer". A transfer is a student who was enrolled at one high school (grades 9 - 12) and transfers to another high school. The way the competitive balance number works is that every kid that on that sports roster that does not come from your designated feeder junior high school(s) (grades 7-8) has a weighted number. So in CCA's case (https://ccacornerstone.com/), they are a K-12 school, so they have a small elementary school on property that is their feeder junior high school. If you have a child on the roster that comes from any school other than that specific feeder school, it gets the weighted number. The weighted number of boys determines your division. Whether a kid is a transfer kid or not, they still get a weighted number if that student comes from outside of the feeder school. It is important to note that the OHSAA enrollment numbers are based on grades 9 to 11, so actually, if you get a senior transfer, that number isn't even counted in the weighted number. Senior transfers don't get counted at all.

You can't use the weighted numbers to determine whether they have transfers or not. Just because a kid on a roster has a weighted number does not say if they transferred into the school or not from another high school. Unlike Lutheran East or Garfield, or Euclid, I have not heard of specific CCA Junior and Senior transfers into CCA. If you have documentation (newspaper article, school info, etc) otherwise, please share.

Last edited by MugnMaul78; 02-23-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 01:36 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Born & Bred View Post
Now you know that no anti-Catholic school poster on this board can accept the fact that a talented, African-American athlete may have parents that chose a Catholic elementary school for him at a young age. If a Catholic school has a talented, black athlete, he was bought and paid for only after he was discovered to be a talented athlete . . . that is what they want to believe and what they will continue to believe. They say that about white kids but when it is black kids (especially in the smaller divisions) the grumbling gets really loud.
Amen.
Old 02-22-18, 02:11 PM
Freshman

ColumbusCatholic is on a distinguished road
One thing that I don't think a lot of the private school bashers understand about CB is that just because there is a CB adder it doesn't mean that student was recruited. You may have 5 catholic elementary schools that the graduates traditionally always go to one catholic high school. That high school has to choose a feeder school. If any of the 5 feeder schools are outside of a small attendance zone then the high school gets a CB adder. It doesn't mean that kid was recruited when his whole grade school class goes to that one high school but happens to be outside of the designated feeder school's district.
Old 02-22-18, 02:45 PM
Junior Varsity

UKnowIt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My point was that private schools cannot survive without kids coming to their school from outside their feeder schools. In VASJ's case, I believe our feeder schools are Our Lady of the Lake and St Robert Williams. Those schools have about 40, 8th graders each. If we got every single one of those students, that would only be 80 kids per incoming class. A school cannot survive getting 80 kids per class, and that assumes we get every student which we don't. With the feeder schools, Lake, Iggy, Bene, Beaumont, NDCL, and Euclid High are always in play. CCA has an even smaller feeder school system, they have to get students from all over whether they play a sport or not. At our school, at least 60% of the kids play a sport, most play 2 or more. They aren't just coming to the school to play sports but most do participate in sports.

To clarify, let's define the word "transfer". A transfer is a student who was enrolled at one high school (grades 9 - 12) and transfers to another high school. The way the competitive balance number works is that every kid that on that sports roster that does not come from your designated feeder junior high school(s) (grades 7-8) has a weighted number. So in CCA's case (https://ccacornerstone.com/), they are a K-12 school, so they have a small elementary school on property that is their feeder junior high school. If you have a child on the roster that comes from any school other than that specific feeder school, it gets the weighted number. The weighted number of boys determines your division. Whether a kid is a transfer kid or not, they still get a weighted number if out of the feeder school, assuming that kid was counted when the numbers were submitted to OHSAA. It is important to note that the OHSAA boy enrollment numbers are based on grades 9 to 11, so actually, if you get a senior transfer, that number isn't even counted in the weighted number. They don't get counted at all.

You can't use the weighted numbers to determine whether they have transfers or not. Just because a kid on a roster has a weighted number does not say if they transferred into the school or not from another high school. Unlike Lutheran East or Garfield, or Euclid, I have not heard of specific CCA Junior and Senior transfers into CCA. If you have documentation (newspaper article, school info, etc) otherwise, please share.

from the plain dealer at the beginning of the season

1. Cornerstone Christian Patriots

2016-17 record: 18-7, Division IV Orwell District finalist

Returning starters: Michael Bothwell (6-3, Sr., G, 20.9 points, 7.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists), Jeremy Owens (6-1, Sr., F, 8.0 points, 5.0 rebounds).

In the rotation: Martel Ferrell (6-6, Sr., F), Titus Wheeler (6-1, Sr., G), Kendall Saunders (6-5, Sr., F), Ricky Adams (5-9, Jr., G), Ja’Shawn Robinson (6-5, Jr., F), Daniel McQueen (5-11, So., G).

Outlook: A year after Cornerstone Christian captured its first state championship, the Patriots’ run at a repeat was cut short with a three-point loss to Warren JFK in the district finals. Consider Cornerstone favored to make another run at Columbus with Bothwell, a former All-Ohio Player of the Year, leading the way. The Furman commit is closing in on Bryan Gee’s school scoring record and 2,000 career points. The schedule is brutal for a Division IV school. It includes 11 D-I teams, and two defending state champions (Lutheran East and Villa Angela-St. Joseph). Additions this season include Adams, a former starter at Euclid, and Robinson after a transfer from Richmond Heights.

those are two that I know of and they got a 6'7 kid in from Ontario, Canada. Now i won't classify that into the recruiting category but interesting none the less.
Old 02-22-18, 02:56 PM
Moderated User

Dee Lou Chanel is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Returning starters: Michael Bothwell (6-3, Sr., G, 20.9 points, 7.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists), Jeremy Owens (6-1, Sr., F, 8.0 points, 5.0 rebounds).

In the rotation: Martel Ferrell (6-6, Sr., F), Titus Wheeler (6-1, Sr., G), Kendall Saunders (6-5, Sr., F), Ricky Adams (5-9, Jr., G), Ja’Shawn Robinson (6-5, Jr., F), Daniel McQueen (5-11, So., G).

Outlook: A year after Cornerstone Christian captured its first state championship, the Patriots’ run at a repeat was cut short with a three-point loss to Warren JFK in the district finals. Consider Cornerstone favored to make another run at Columbus with Bothwell, a former All-Ohio Player of the Year, leading the way. The Furman commit is closing in on Bryan Gee’s school scoring record and 2,000 career points. The schedule is brutal for a Division IV school. It includes 11 D-I teams, and two defending state champions (Lutheran East and Villa Angela-St. Joseph). Additions this season include Adams, a former starter at Euclid, and Robinson after a transfer from Richmond Heights.

those are two that I know of and they got a 6'7 kid in from Ontario, Canada. Now i won't classify that into the recruiting category but interesting none the less.
I thought Ferrell was the transfer from Euclid? Or was that two years ago?
Old 02-22-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lou Chanel View Post
I thought Ferrell was the transfer from Euclid? Or was that two years ago?
Looks like he played for Euclid as recently as 2015-2016:

http://euclidpantherathletics.org/roster.aspx?rp_id=680

There's some odd mythology surrounding CCA. They're clearly very different than the vast majority of other teams in DIV. Probably should go ahead and add their name to the title of this thread.
Old 02-22-18, 07:25 PM
Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure you got it right

Quote:

You say the kid is 6'7" when above it says 6'5", keep posting, they will have a 7 footer eventually!

Ferrell was at CCA every year but one since 6th grade I think. Went to Euclid for his Sophomore year? So 6 years at CCA, 1 year at Euclid. He got recruited to go back??? lol

UKnowit - I see you just joined the forum and went straight to attacking CCA. How did you miss state ranked Bristol #6, when their SECOND best player is a transfer from Maplewood. Oh, wait, it is ok because he isn't from the city and they are a public school.

Neither player starts but I think the shorter kid from Euclid can shot it and I don't think the kid from Richmond plays but together they don't average what the transfer from Maplewood does but you want to focus on a private school. Got it.

I saw a post that (bothwell, wheeler and ferrell) three starters have been playing together since 6th grade at CCA. I am sure CCA recruited Bothwell in 6th grade. Kid made a great decision because according to OHSAA, CCA had won a grand total of 2 tournament games in the history of their school at that time.

UKnowit - you posted that CCA has players from Elyria and Shaker, please prove that.
Old 02-22-18, 08:04 PM
Varsity

OhioHSBasketballFan is an unknown quantity at this point

38-8-8 against Garfield Hts??? Isn't this really what you are really crying about?
Old 02-22-18, 09:50 PM
All World

What is the big deal ? According to the AP poll there are 8 teams in D4 better than CCA. Hell they were unranked all year up until two weeks ago.
Old 02-22-18, 10:18 PM
Varsity

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OHSAA generally will not speak to or respond to the accusations or concerns of 3rd party private individuals. They work for the member schools and official complaints need to come from the administration of the school along with supporting proof. Whatever people hear, even second hand from the student or school means nothing unless a formal complaint is filed with the proof to back it up.
Yeah this is important to remember. For as large as Ohio is, the OHSAA only has two commissioners that deal with compliance, and one assistant. From a time/resources standpoint, they can only chase down the really solid cases.
Old 02-22-18, 10:28 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Once a player or parent approaches a school

Quote:

Then all recuiting is pretty wide open
Old 02-22-18, 11:50 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusCatholic View Post
One thing that I don't think a lot of the private school bashers understand about CB is that just because there is a CB adder it doesn't mean that student was recruited. You may have 5 catholic elementary schools that the graduates traditionally always go to one catholic high school. That high school has to choose a feeder school. If any of the 5 feeder schools are outside of a small attendance zone then the high school gets a CB adder. It doesn't mean that kid was recruited when his whole grade school class goes to that one high school but happens to be outside of the designated feeder school's district.
Spot on. Thank you.
Old 02-23-18, 12:50 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
This isn't the latest installment of a whine fest. "The only sport where high school even matters in recruiting is football", that Nick Saban quote is very telling. All this move does is places a bureaucracy (OHSAA) in the place of a family for a family decision, period. I could really care less why a family makes a decision to choose one school or another. Where they go, how they go, or when they go really makes no difference to anyone. What outcome are you chasing? This really doesn't and won't make it an even shot at a title for everyone and this smacks of senselessness.

Coaches being limited in what they do outside of the season is bogus too, their windows to earn whatever income they can is crazy. Whether thEly earn money coaching AAU or washing windows, seems again like a personal situation that needs ZERO interruption from the OHSAA or anyone else.

High school basketball is poised to kill itself, sure it'll always exist but now instead of elite players at Oak Hill, IMG we'll see just great or maybe all the way down to good going that route. I'm sure I'll hear someone waxing poetic about the romantic parts of HS basketball but games in the same proximity at the same time one featuring high level, super competitive basketball will out draw the HS in that area in just about every case. Enjoy the games, state titles aren't easy, and they can't be legislated. A bunch of people wanting to limit the opportunities for whatever reason of young people is crazy.
Old 02-23-18, 10:52 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHSBasketballFan View Post
Privates have always been accused of recruiting but it seems like it continues to escalate.

Lutheran East recruited 5 players last year and won a state championship. I think they brought in 6 or 7 this past year.

Garfield Hts. – looking at their top 6, who did they develop? Meech. Is that it? Brison, Zo, Graves, Heath I know are all transfers.

It has some merit that players/families should be allowed to go to school where they want. However, the recent madness (see above) has created such an uneven playing field that I believe this will pass. I think a private like VASJ/Eds will vote for it because they see what is happening (high school transfers) and to some degree they believe it is ruining high school basketball.

The flip side is that VASJ/Eds recruits a large number of 8th graders for their 9th grade class. So it is a little hypocritical for them to look down their noses at Sonny who is the ultimate recruiter.

Only difference for St.Joes I know for a fact they go after kids in the area, mainly from local CYO and grow them in the system. I’m not too keen on Kwasniak but the one credit I do give him is developing kids through the program and not having to try and pry other student athletes from rivaling schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-18, 01:52 PM
All District

brusharc1986 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

​It pains me to have to write this post to you during this tournament season, but after the post of last night I cannot sit back and remain silent. I had planned to come on here and post with you or write you a post about the state of Bball216’s posts and their lack of coherence and organization this season, after the Tournament. Unfortunately this cannot wait. I would like to explain to you everything that I experienced and witnessed during the posts regarding the VASJ thread.

This is just another example of the declining posting that is taking place in our yappi threads. In prior years we as posters were told there was a mandatory amount of truth we had to post from the VASJ threads about eligibility, transfers, and other issues student athletes might experience. This year there was nothing. The whole coaching situation and the failure to give any explanation to the posters and followers has created confusion and anger amongst all of us. The bury your head in the sand and hope the situation goes away approach has not gone unnoticed with posters, readers, and fans alike. It almost feels like there is a hurry up and get this season to March attitude going on and that is not fair to the readers, especially to the truth seekers.

These posts are serious business, it's not like issues of playing time and lack of communication. If it was me, I would have already spoken to my attorney.
Old 02-23-18, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusharc1986 View Post
​It pains me to have to write this post to you during this tournament season, but after the post of last night I cannot sit back and remain silent. I had planned to come on here and post with you or write you a post about the state of Bball216’s posts and their lack of coherence and organization this season, after the Tournament. Unfortunately this cannot wait. I would like to explain to you everything that I experienced and witnessed during the posts regarding the VASJ thread.

This is just another example of the declining posting that is taking place in our yappi threads. In prior years we as posters were told there was a mandatory amount of truth we had to post from the VASJ threads about eligibility, transfers, and other issues student athletes might experience. This year there was nothing. The whole coaching situation and the failure to give any explanation to the posters and followers has created confusion and anger amongst all of us. The bury your head in the sand and hope the situation goes away approach has not gone unnoticed with posters, readers, and fans alike. It almost feels like there is a hurry up and get this season to March attitude going on and that is not fair to the readers, especially to the truth seekers.

These posts are serious business, it's not like issues of playing time and lack of communication. If it was me, I would have already spoken to my attorney.
Welcome back "brusharc". It's a little too early, even for a Friday, to be drinking isn't it?
Old 02-23-18, 05:14 PM
All World

I don't see that or feel that at all ARC. Maybe it's just you that are feeling that way. This season has been enjoyable as the young Vikings grow up and show promise for years to come. There is no situation anymore to deal with. You seem to like rekindling the same old story - we have moved on from not only the situation, but you guys as well. It's playoff time. Good Luck to your Arcs and Panthers.
Old 02-23-18, 05:27 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Indeed several posters on here are massive hypocrites when it comes to these types of discussions.

Regardless, although there's really no point in having divisions in basketball, with the direction we're headed, we should at least have an "open division" where all schools playing by this different set of rules (regardless of school size) can compete against each other.
Old 02-23-18, 06:47 PM
All World

Bennies that has been your idea for awhile. So you basically want public and private separation along with all the open enrollment schools thrown in the pot. How would this open division account for the non-open enrollment schools that ignore the rules and grab players from other programs ? I don't ever see there being a super division in basketball.