Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-12-18, 08:26 AM
All Region

wls_color is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevw fan View Post
I read somewhere that Jamestown Youth Football has 120 kids in the program . 1-6th all play tackle football. I'm not sure of the impact at the next level but it has a huge following in the town . I do know the high school coach is very involved as was Kasner..i was told that Kasner is helping coach 1 of the youth teams...I think the kids also like being apart of all the events they do with the high school staff and players as well. ..for what it's worth.
Damn, that's great numbers. We have about 70 kids 1st-6th. And I think we are on the higher end compared to most schools.
Old 10-12-18, 08:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
I happened to see the West Libe.....er uh I mean the Urbana Daily Citizen sports page and the had the previews of tonight's games. I was drawn to a quote from Triads head football coach Joe Cardinal "We circled this game way back in August, It's not just about football".

I'm pretty sure he just called all of us the Dirty Burg in newspaper speak . I like it. This is also the third week in a row that the Burg opponent has referred to the Burg as their rival, also should be an honor. But if the boys don't come out with focus and fire the Cards will be ready to smack'em in the mouth I think Triad is way more than fired up and probably has been saving some stuff just for tonight like some of our other rivals!
Rock' Em!
It's because no one likes you...
Old 10-12-18, 09:47 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wls_color View Post
It's because no one likes you...
Thanks for validating what I teach my children about "those people" in different colored jerseys!
Old 10-12-18, 10:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down The Road View Post
Thanks for validating what I teach my children about "those people" in different colored jerseys!
Hahaha!

My predictions for tonight:

Southeastern over SCC 48-14
Greenon over Madison Plains 28-21
Greeneview over Cedarville 45-8
West Jefferson over Northeastern 43-18
Mechanicsburg over Triad 49-7
West Liberty-Salem over Fairbanks 34-31
Old 10-12-18, 11:10 AM
All Region

Jet19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Off subject, but just a bit of curiosity as my oldest son is now in 7th grade...

Over the past several years, how has pee wee and Jr. High success turned over into high school?

If it typically evolves into high school success, we could see a bit of change in the top of the OHC in the next 4-5 years. Fairbanks is fantastic at every level, Northeastern is fantastic at every level, Cedarville won the youth OHC championship last year over WLS, etc.

And there are some giants in Jr. High, haha. My son is one of the biggest in the 7th grade class at WLS at 5'3" - but when he's on the field he looks like a dwarf. There are grown men coming up through the ranks lol.

Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

Best of luck to everyone tonight. If any Fairbanks fans are reading this, WLS will have quite a bit going on tonight and is expecting a fairly large crowd. We are honoring the founder of our youth program (and our head coach's father) who passed away earlier this year and of course the young man who passed away earlier this week. May want to arrive a little early - Mad River Farm Market just up 68 can provide you with some good food and hoppy beverages.
It's all situational. When I played for sv in the old MRLV in pee wee Northwestern was always a powerhouse. But in HS those kids wouldn't play football and NW was 0-10 or 2-8 almost every season. My team won 2 or 3 championships in pee wee and were one bogus call away from being undefeated in JH. And I think only 2 guys (starters) from those championship teams played our senior year. So the kids sticking with it is numero uno imo. We were still ok, but kinda just beat who we were supposed to and got hammered by good teams unlike before. Think we beat a 4-6 WLS team that season after a goal line stand and some lighting issues by 6?? I've also seen players who were pee wee monsters go to Catholic Central in HS. Another huge factor is development. You never know or can predict how kids will grow most of the time. Sometimes kids are just developing faster than others in pee wee and it kinda evens out in HS. Heck, the best Peewee player I ever played against and was friends with was a kid named Joey Mosier. He was diagnosed with cancer and passed away when we were in 8th grade. Life happens and it's really unpredictable, but it's definitely the only real measuring stick when trying to look into the future.

Last edited by Jet19; 10-12-18 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-12-18, 11:10 AM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Being new to the OHC it is a bit harder to already have some natural rivals, however given we have faced BURG for several years it has always been an indicator type game of how good you might be. I don't know the stats, but i would have to think at least in the last several years the winner of that game has gone on to make a playoff appearance. I can think of 1 exception on the WJ side, I believe in '12.

Another potential rival for WJ is WLS as that game last year at their place got quite heated, even some WJ fans got into the action (unfortunately). Both teams are physical and like to make statements on the field so that becomes a pretty heated battle and I would expect nothing less this year.

With respect to the youngster programs.............first off I think it is awesome that there are that many kids playing football with all the "crap" going on making football more and more unpopular. I do think at the younger levels it is more about just having numbers and talent with some technique. If my kids are more athletic than yours and I can teach them some technique then I am gonna win more games than not and have some success. Not so in HS when technique and effort can overcome kids with more talent. Not trying to make light or disrespect any of the efforts of the younger program coaches, etc. but the game at that level is still pretty slow compared to HS so small mistakes can be overcome more so than in HS.

IMO the transition to successful HS programs depends on several factors...............HS coaches involved and promoting younger programs (especially head coach); HS players supporting younger programs; work on getting the youngsters to "buy in" to the program once they hit the Jr. High level; work on getting the parents to "buy in" to the program once their kids hit Jr. High level; having HS coaches who can teach the next level techniques; having HS coaches who can help kids breakdown film; having HS coaches who know how to use their talent.

I would love to see the OHC make some upward moves!!!
Old 10-12-18, 09:24 PM
All Region

WLS 38, Fairbanks 35 final

Both teams left it all on the field. Great game
Old 10-13-18, 05:37 AM
Junior Varsity

Tigers Best is on a distinguished road
Great game
Old 10-13-18, 01:47 PM
All District

Cville-OMW is on a distinguished road
Good win for WLS!!!

Looking forward to another brutal game between them and WJ!!!
Old 10-13-18, 02:45 PM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
I did see Central’s 8 grade team on Thur. Irish won but was most impressed by the numbers, looked like 20-25 players. If they all stay with fb and stay at SCC that is a good sign for future. Can’t just assume they will stay at Central.
Old 10-14-18, 11:06 PM
All Region

Who all does Catholic Central and West Jefferson play in JH and little league?? I watched the Greenon vs Northeastern pee wee games last weekend. The Jets little league program is kicking butt. I'll hold my true thoughts on what I saw from the Greenon peewee coaches other than they should be truly ashamed of themselves. I overheard one coach yell at a kid telling him it was his fault another kid got injured. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen and I went to NE. Enough of all that BS tho. I did notice that Urbana is OHC at that level and they didn't play West Jefferson, Greeneview, or Central.
Old 10-15-18, 12:12 AM
All Region

shoprat2 is on a distinguished road
Donít know the whole schedule but that game was against SE I believe and had potential for running clock.
Old 10-15-18, 05:38 AM
Varsity

Brutus SG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoprat2 View Post
Donít know the whole schedule but that game was against SE I believe and had potential for running clock.
I havenít been in town in 8 years but If Iím not mistaken they still play against other pee wee programs from London, Alder, Fairbanks, and Plains. They used to be in the league with the pee see teams from Hilliard. Same goes with baseball and softball minus the hilliard teams for those two sports. Again, I could be wrong on who they play now. I used to coach in that league and that is who we played then.
Old 10-15-18, 07:58 AM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
London, Plains, Alder, Fairbanks and WJ. They do play 1 game against Hilliard the first game of the season. Kind of like a jamboree game.
Old 10-15-18, 08:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet19 View Post
Who all does Catholic Central and West Jefferson play in JH and little league?? I watched the Greenon vs Northeastern pee wee games last weekend. The Jets little league program is kicking butt. I'll hold my true thoughts on what I saw from the Greenon peewee coaches other than they should be truly ashamed of themselves. I overheard one coach yell at a kid telling him it was his fault another kid got injured. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen and I went to NE. Enough of all that BS tho. I did notice that Urbana is OHC at that level and they didn't play West Jefferson, Greeneview, or Central.
Catholic Central was in the YOHC but was pulling players in from outside and got the ax. They reapplied this year, but the league was apparently still concerned from past rules violations. West Jefferson has had talks with the league for the past 2 seasons, but nothing has been agreed upon. Greeneview doesn't seem to have much interest in the YOHC, I know the league has reached out. Urbana joined 2 years ago because the CBC pretty much broke up and several schools got rid of youth football.

Jr. High wise, the OHC is intact - same as the HS level. Jr. High plays on Thursday nights, typically against the same opponent the HS plays on Friday night.
Old 10-15-18, 09:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Grevw fan is on a distinguished road
I contacted the guy in charge of the youth football in Jamestown...he said the youth ohc has reached out to to them and the main reason they are not playing with them is Jamestown don't want to lose the bantam team also they field a team per grade...so 1st-2nd combined is what they call bantam...it is tackle football...the after that each grade has their own team and play another true 3rd grade true 4th true 5th and true 6th game every week...je confirmed what I had read they do have 125 kids in the program they play in the wojfc.org I looked at it and looks to be the gwoc youth league...seems they have things going good and they have some really good teams...and he did confirm that ciach Haines is in the youth board and that Coach Kasner helps with the 3rd grade team...im going to go check them out as they are starting their playoffs next week...i will report back then
Old 10-15-18, 10:00 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevw fan View Post
I contacted the guy in charge of the youth football in Jamestown...he said the youth ohc has reached out to to them and the main reason they are not playing with them is Jamestown don't want to lose the bantam team also they field a team per grade...so 1st-2nd combined is what they call bantam...it is tackle football...the after that each grade has their own team and play another true 3rd grade true 4th true 5th and true 6th game every week...je confirmed what I had read they do have 125 kids in the program they play in the wojfc.org I looked at it and looks to be the gwoc youth league...seems they have things going good and they have some really good teams...and he did confirm that ciach Haines is in the youth board and that Coach Kasner helps with the 3rd grade team...im going to go check them out as they are starting their playoffs next week...i will report back then
I'm sure the YOHC would accommodate their needs. WLS plays in the tackle portion, but we run our own flag program (the only ones in the league who do that).
Old 10-15-18, 11:57 AM
All Region

Safe to say there is a lot on the line this Friday night. Winner of the WLS / West Jefferson game most likely earns a playoff berth and a share of the OHC title - barring any let downs in Week 10.

Series history:

2017 West Jefferson 38-13
2009 West Liberty-Salem 3-0
2007 West Jefferson 56-24

Only 3 meetings between the 2 schools - 2 of them were in the playoffs.

I really wish I could be there to watch this one.

My picks for week 9:

Greeneview over Catholic Central
Greenon over Cedarville
Southeastern over Madison Plains
Mechanicsburg over Northeastern
Fairbanks over Triad
Old 10-16-18, 03:20 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It amazes me that anyone cares about pee wee football. Success at that age means very little if anything. You can have the greatest pee wee program in the world and it means nothing if you don't have a very good high school coach.
Old 10-16-18, 07:43 AM
All District

Bluehawg is on a distinguished road
In my opinion the best thing that can happen out of a peewee program is that kid's develop a love for the game and learn the basics. Obviously winning helps kid's develop that love for the game but good coaches the teach kids the game and help them develop and don't ruin the game for them is all you really need
Old 10-16-18, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Catholic Central was in the YOHC but was pulling players in from outside and got the ax. They reapplied this year, but the league was apparently still concerned from past rules violations. West Jefferson has had talks with the league for the past 2 seasons, but nothing has been agreed upon. Greeneview doesn't seem to have much interest in the YOHC, I know the league has reached out. Urbana joined 2 years ago because the CBC pretty much broke up and several schools got rid of youth football.

Jr. High wise, the OHC is intact - same as the HS level. Jr. High plays on Thursday nights, typically against the same opponent the HS plays on Friday night.
I'm somewhat intrigued by the Catholic Central ordeal. When I was a Catholic grade school kid the pee wee program was technically a CYO program and not a school program. I'd assume they probably still run it the same way. Travel basketball was the same. "School" ball didn't start until junior high.

Grades 4-6 football we might have had 2-3 non-feeder school kids out of about 35 kids, with the rest coming from the parish schools. We played in the YKTC in those days with Southeastern, Cedarville, Clinton Massie, East Clinton, Hillsboro and Greenfield McClain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-18, 08:22 AM
All District

Down The Road is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
It amazes me that anyone cares about pee wee football. Success at that age means very little if anything. You can have the greatest pee wee program in the world and it means nothing if you don't have a very good high school coach.

You guys should check out twitter @3YearLetterman for what I always picture pee wee football to be about. I know it's not ALL that way but it made me laugh because there is some truth to it.
A couple Sundays ago I did see some 3/4 graders warming up holding their arms out for split spacing and lining up and I did have the urge to go coach'em up on being nasty up front! So I do get the draw and fun of it for parents just keep it enjoyable for the kids!
Old 10-16-18, 10:00 AM
Varsity

BigArlie8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I can only imagine what grade level you are talking about the coach yelling at a kid about it being his fault. Being that the youth football isn't associated with the schools, I will call them Enon peewee football. I will say there isn't much for coaching down at the peewee level in Enon. Our HS coaches have tried to work with the peewee coaches and teach them the basics of coaching but most of them are dads with little back ground in football. It is very unfortunate that most of the peewee kids will most likely turn to soccer as a HS sport because it is a lot of daddy ball at the peewee level. The true test is getting the ones to the MS level and beyond and being able to right the ship as they say and start all over with the basics. But I have seen kids that were flat out studs in peewee turn out to be the worst football players and vice verse with kids finding there true position.
Old 10-16-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Ultimately pee wee success is by and large based upon who matures the quickest. It seems like there's countless stories about kids who dominated pee wee because they were stronger and faster than everyone, ultimately to just have everyone catch up to them later on.

IMO a truly successful pee wee program "broadens the base" of our your high school program by engaging kids and developing a love of the game, and the focus is on fundamentals, especially with blocking and tackling. The game results are pretty meaningless as long as it's somewhat competitive and they have fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-18, 10:37 AM
All Region

Oh I don't put much stock in results at that level. I do think it builds a good foundation for the JH and HS levels by teaching fundamentals and getting the kids used to juggling school and athletics. And as the Enon poster stated earlier, by daddy coaches being a huge pain in the rear end it makes the kids not want to play football anymore. Hence the reason Greenon is usually competitive at most male sports outside of football. And it's been this way for decades at certain schools. Me personally im a fan of the game at all levels. I was one of those kids on the fringe growing up, and I was always at my best academically, physically, and mentally when I was active in athletics.

On a side note, one of the sv parents told me how much they had to pay for their kids to play football. That can be hard on those of us that are not subsidized and working class people. I think they have operation weed out the poor kids going on???
Old 10-16-18, 10:57 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
It's interesting to see how much peewee football has changed. WJ use to have grades 3 thru 6 all play tackle football in one league. There were 4 teams and we played each other 2 times for six games total. I believe the weight limit was 120 pounds to play in the league and if you were a qb/r b/wr you could only be 100 or less (maybe it was 110). Yes, as a 3rd grader you got ran over ever once in a while by a 6th grader but you definitely learned the idea of low man win's. The coaches were usually parents who also played at WJ and we ran the same plays as the high school. No traveling on the weekends, we played at the old Middle School field. Good times.
Old 10-16-18, 11:42 AM
Freshman

encore65 is on a distinguished road
ttt
Old 10-16-18, 05:10 PM
All Region

My picks. Northeastern peewee over Northeastern high school....oh wait I mean running clock Mechanicsburg over Northeastern pee wee.

Fairbanks over Triad big. Still a great season from Triad after being 1-9 last season.

West Liberty rednecks over West Jefferson Ruff Ryders in probably one of the best games in west Central Ohio this Friday.

Greeneview over Central big

Greenon over Cedarville in a decent south game

Southeastern over Madison Plains in probably the best south game of the week.
Old 10-16-18, 05:37 PM
All Region

Hey color you think Central will let me suit up as a ringer for Thursday night lights??
Old 10-16-18, 08:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Hey color you think Central will let me suit up as a ringer for Thursday night lights??

I donít see why they wouldnít