Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-18-18, 07:27 PM
All Region

blitz56 is on a distinguished road
Romero beat Scheirl 7-5
Old 10-18-18, 07:40 PM
All Region

Martin beats Hoffman 15-7
Old 10-18-18, 07:41 PM
All Region

Moore beats Snyder 19-4
Old 10-18-18, 08:01 PM
All Region

Traub beat Singletary 3-2
Old 10-18-18, 08:02 PM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Which is why Ryan recruits Daniel Kerkvliet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-18, 09:47 PM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post

Thank God!
Old 10-18-18, 09:59 PM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think Singletary will be gone after this year. No way OSU ties up scholorship money in both of them.
Old 10-18-18, 10:20 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
More convinced than ever that Ryan needs to punt this season and go for it all next year. Redshirt all the frosh, redshirt McKenna, redshirt Martin, Keshawn should be going 141 if anything certainly not 157. Just no shot at PSU this year, but you could next year if things go right. Malik has great potential but is tiny he isn’t AAing, don’t see Keshawn AAing at 157, Romero isn’t AAing, Campbell isn’t either, and neither is Singletary/Traub obviously.
Old 10-19-18, 01:55 AM
All Region

I think it would be up to the athletes if they want to redshirt or not.
Old 10-19-18, 05:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
More convinced than ever that Ryan needs to punt this season and go for it all next year. Redshirt all the frosh, redshirt McKenna, redshirt Martin, Keshawn should be going 141 if anything certainly not 157. Just no shot at PSU this year, but you could next year if things go right. Malik has great potential but is tiny he isnít AAing, donít see Keshawn AAing at 157, Romero isnít AAing, Campbell isnít either, and neither is Singletary/Traub obviously.
I was in this camp a couple months ago but have changed my tune. I donít think you punt if you can finish top 2 or 3 with an outside shot of winning. Stars would have to align, but it would not be the most shocking result if OSU won. They are a PSU injury away from nip and tuck. McKenna could win. Micah could win. Myles is the favorite. Moore is a finalist and Nickel, as good as he is, may not be as dominant up at 197 against the very top guys. Pletcher is a high AA. Would I bet on it...no, but lots can happen and I donít think you want to waste the chance. Further, McKenna wants no part of a redshirt and likely neither does Myles.
Old 10-19-18, 06:20 AM
All District

td2fall is on a distinguished road
and whos to say that if all those redshirt that they will stay healthy for next year or the other teams cant just reload and beat ya....its up to the room for the TEAM to get better.
Old 10-19-18, 07:35 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz56 View Post
I think it would be up to the athletes if they want to redshirt or not.
Its up to the coach to put the best team on the mat this year.
Old 10-19-18, 08:09 AM
All World

This summer I was having my normal "just maybe" experiences. Rumors are that PSU 285 Nevills, ranked #2, has a bad shoulder and may try for a medical redshirt this year. While I never want to see athletes injured, this would close the gap considerably between PSU and tOSU. And "just maybe" we get a strong season out of the fill-ins, Heinselman, Romero and Singletary and one or two reach the podium. And, while PSU has some strong add-ons at 125, 133 and 149, "just maybe" they disappoint PSU fans and none reach the podium. Now PSU has a fight on their hands. Well it's early in the season, but none of our fill-ins looked like AAs last night, especially Singletary who was the the one with the most hope to start the season. 285 looks ripe for the picking as 5 AAs left, #1 Stoll got shot in the knee (the only shot he's ever taken), and #2 Nevills has a bum shoulder and may not wrestle this year. Enter Singletary with a strong HS pedigree and a great opportunity to reach the podium. Now he may not even earn a spot in the lineup. Congrats to Gary Traub. He's probably a walk-on and may wrestle for the Bucks this year.
Old 10-19-18, 08:16 AM
All World

Cthelites is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
This summer I was having my normal "just maybe" experiences. Rumors are that PSU 285 Nevills, ranked #2, has a bad shoulder and may try for a medical redshirt this year. While I never want to see athletes injured, this would close the gap considerably between PSU and tOSU. And "just maybe" we get a strong season out of the fill-ins, Heinselman, Romero and Singletary and one or two reach the podium. And, while PSU has some strong add-ons at 125, 133 and 149, "just maybe" they disappoint PSU fans and none reach the podium. Now PSU has a fight on their hands. Well it's early in the season, but none of our fill-ins looked like AAs last night, especially Singletary who was the the one with the most hope to start the season. 285 looks ripe for the picking as 5 AAs left, #1 Stoll got shot in the knee (the only shot he's ever taken), and #2 Nevills has a bum shoulder and may not wrestle this year. Enter Singletary with a strong HS pedigree and a great opportunity to reach the podium. Now he may not even earn a spot in the lineup. Congrats to Gary Traub. He's probably a walk-on and may wrestle for the Bucks this year.
And wait til Hunter gets back!! Go Bux!
Old 10-19-18, 08:30 AM
All World

I'm not sure how wrestle-offs work at tOSU but I have a story from my college days that is worth sharing. We had a guy (I'll call him Bert) who was our starter at 118 back in the 70s. Bert was a former state champ and 3x state finalist. We had these weekly wrestle-offs w/o any refs - just go wrestle and tell the coach who won. A guy who no one ever expected to step on the mat for our college (I'll call him Ernie), wrestled-off Bert. And shockingly he won! Ernie went up to the coach and said, "Coach I beat Bert 6-5!" Coach non nonchalantly replied, "That's good." Ernie asked, "Does that mean I get to wrestle this week?" Coach looked at him with a dead serious face and said, "I don't care if you beat him 15-0, you're not wrestling for him." So much for wrestle-offs. Now, on an ethics scale from 0 to 10, I'd put my college coach at about a 0.5 and Coach Ryan at about a 9.5, but I would guess there'll be more wrestle-offs at 285. If it was perceived to have been close it would have been a 2 out of 3 like 149 and 174. Stay tuned. Regardless as of whether or not Singletary earns the 285 spot, he's not the future for tOSU at the weight. Someone is keeping the seat warm for Daniel Kerkvliet.
Old 10-19-18, 08:47 AM
All Region

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
I was disappointed in a couple of the wrestle-offs last night. I was hoping 165 and 285 would've looked better. However, I think wrestle-offs are misleading considering you are wrestling someone you constantly wrestle against in practice. Both could be a situation where the other guys knows exactly what you're doing. While you're teammate might be able to beat you on a given night, he may not be able to beat anyone else.
Old 10-19-18, 08:48 AM
All American

BHiatt is on a distinguished road
Coaches put on the mat who has best chance to beat others, not beat their teammates who they wrestle against everyday.
Old 10-19-18, 08:50 AM
All Ohio

miketyson is on a distinguished road
punting a season

seems ridiculous so much can change by march for penn state and ohio state and if they finish second I don't see anything wrong with it. Yea last year was tragic that they lost but life goes on.
Old 10-19-18, 08:51 AM
All District

SCORE2WIN is on a distinguished road
Having just went thru the recruiting process with my boy last year. We asked every coach how wrestle offs work. And every one of them said that just because you win the wrestle off does not mean you're the starter. Now I'm sure if you teched the guy you would be the guy, but if it's halfway close at all they all said they look at other factors. Most said they would take both guys to open tournaments and see who places higher. They all admitted that winning against someone you wrestle with on a regular basis does not make you the better wrestle for the team.
Old 10-19-18, 09:31 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
And wait til Hunter gets back!! Go Bux!
Amen!
Old 10-19-18, 10:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHiatt View Post
Coaches put on the mat who has best chance to beat others, not beat their teammates who they wrestle against everyday.
A wrestler wins 2 of 3 matches he should wrestle that week. That only helps wrestlers to practice hard and get better. That's how they do it over at St Eds and 32 State titles speak for itself.
Old 10-19-18, 10:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
A wrestler wins 2 of 3 matches he should wrestle that week. That only helps wrestlers to practice hard and get better. That's how they do it over at St Eds and 32 State titles speak for itself.
We r not talking about HS
Old 10-19-18, 10:45 AM
All American

What Cthelites said.
Old 10-19-18, 10:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthelites View Post
We r not talking about HS
that's how they do it at Iowa. At their wrestle offs no dancing around the mats or wrestlers being gassed. looks like wrestlers are fighting for their lives to stay on the team not just make the team.
Old 10-19-18, 11:17 AM
All American

That’s not how they do it at PSU, tOSU and most other colleges. When did Iowa last win a national title?
Old 10-19-18, 12:19 PM
Varsity

daman99 is on a distinguished road
Why are y'all so surprised about these results? These matches were so predictable lol
Old 10-19-18, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

Donkability is on a distinguished road
just another day at the office, nothing much changed from last night.
Old 10-19-18, 05:08 PM
All World

tOSU states in their team rules and bylaws that wrestle offs are NOT the determining outcome of the starter. It is just one piece of many other factors to determine the starter.
Old 10-19-18, 07:07 PM
All American

I’d be willing to bet that the winners are the starters with the following exceptions:

Mead will start the entire year. Heinselman should not have his redshirt burned. Currently, there is not a huge gap between the two. Mead looked improved.

Traub deserves to start the year but betting that Singletary gets the job before too long. He will likely earn the spot but regardless, Ryan needs to see what he has with the kid.
Old 10-19-18, 07:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
Its up to the coach to put the best team on the mat this year.
I don't believe a coach can make a student athlete redshirt.