Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-18, 10:39 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Very interesting. Joe Scalzo's article in the Repository mentioned that the Massillon Tigers will have a transfer player starting this week (6). However, he failed to report that McKinley had a transfer that played against North Canton this past weekend?
Old 09-23-18, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Very interesting. Joe Scalzo's article in the Repository mentioned that the Massillon Tigers will have a transfer player starting this week (6). However, he failed to report that McKinley had a transfer that played against North Canton this past weekend?
I could be wrong, but I suspect Scalzo is differentiating between a transfer who actually moves into a new school district and those that don't. Is it possible the McKinley kid in question moved to the Canton City School district?
Old 09-23-18, 11:30 PM
Varsity

Tigeratv3 is on a distinguished road
playing bigger schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Oh no please donít try to use common sense with him, I mean there is a reason the OHSAA divides the state into 7 divisions but according to him there is NO difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor.
This is an good example, of what can happen, but you are stacking the deck to meet your argument. Conotton Valley rarely wins any games at all, while Mentor is a power and wins 10+ almost yearly.

How about this example instead. Let's take smaller schools like Cardinal Mooney, Steubenville, St. Vincent-St. Mary, Archbishop Hoban Hudson, Nordonia, etc.. Which are power school at present in Divisions 2-5 or have been in the recent past vs playing Cleveland Rhodes, Cleveland John Marshall or maybe even Berea-Midpark. Which teams will give you more computer points or prepare you for a potential playoff run in this example?

See I can stack the deck too!

There are teams that win annually in both big schools and smaller schools, as there are also teams those lose a lot in all divisions. It all depends on who you play not necessarily which division they are in. If you pick two schools of similar history then, the bigger school if they playing bigger schools also will fetch you more points.
Old 09-23-18, 11:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I could be wrong, but I suspect Scalzo is differentiating between a transfer who actually moves into a new school district and those that don't. Is it possible the McKinley kid in question moved to the Canton City School district?

A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
Old 09-23-18, 11:50 PM
Cooling Off

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeratv3 View Post
This is an good example, of what can happen, but you are stacking the deck to meet your argument. Conotton Valley rarely wins any games at all, while Mentor is a power and wins 10+ almost yearly.

How about this example instead. Let's take smaller schools like Cardinal Mooney, Steubenville, St. Vincent-St. Mary, Archbishop Hoban Hudson, Nordonia, etc.. Which are power school at present in Divisions 2-5 or have been in the recent past vs playing Cleveland Rhodes, Cleveland John Marshall or maybe even Berea-Midpark. Which teams will give you more computer points or prepare you for a potential playoff run in this example?

See I can stack the deck too!

There are teams that win annually in both big schools and smaller schools, as there are also teams those lose a lot in all divisions. It all depends on who you play not necessarily which division they are in. If you pick two schools of similar history then, the bigger school if they playing bigger schools also will fetch you more points.
The point is clearly the schedule mckinley is playing is not preparing them for a playoff run of any kind in region 1.
I canít believe that nobody thinks itís crazy that a school with more boys then about 80% of all the D1 schools is only going to play 2 D1 schools. They are going to play just as many D4 schools.
Old 09-23-18, 11:53 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
Once again you are trying to bring common sense into arguments on here, wonít you ever learn LOL.
As Iíve said numerous times there isnít a school in the fed where every kid on the football team went to grade school, middle and high school in the same district.
But of course Massillon is the only school that has transfers.
Old 09-24-18, 12:06 AM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh no please don’t try to use common sense with him, I mean there is a reason the OHSAA divides the state into 7 divisions but according to him there is NO difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor.
So Steubenville isn't a quality opponent because they are D4? D3 St V stinks? Cleveland Rhodes is better because they are D1?

There is a difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor...one is among the worst in the state, the other among the best. Has nothing to do with their divisional assignments though.
Old 09-24-18, 12:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You may wish it was so but not all transfers are the same. Ask the OHSAA. Or you could read up on the bylaws on their website.

Your inability, or lack of desire, to comprehend the difference is no excuse.
Old 09-24-18, 12:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
If the regular season is good enough to prepare them for the playoffs explain the
2-7 playoff record since 2010 ?? Doesnít seem like those ďscrimmagesĒ are doing much, or according to some mck fans itís the fed league that has watered them down.
Matchups Toledo Whitmer twice, Iggy, Eds, your Tigers. The only outliers as far as traditional programs would be Medina (upsets do happen) and Stow ( 10 wins, lost to Eds by 6)

Your school gave up 56 unanswered in the playoffs last year, better upgrade the schedule.
Old 09-24-18, 01:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
You may wish it was so but not all transfers are the same. Ask the OHSAA. Or you could read up on the bylaws on their website.

When the Open Enrollment law was passed originally by the state legislature there were few restrictions. When some schools started complaining, then the OHSAA initiated changes. In reality, these changes are unconstitutional. If they aren't why does the OHSAA lose most cases?
Old 09-24-18, 05:30 AM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As Iíve said numerous times there isnít a school in the fed where every kid on the football team went to grade school, middle and high school in the same district.
Lake's coach seems to be saying they have no transfers.

And your argument that "Everyone does it but only Massillon gets in trouble" is juvenile. Everyone doesn't do the things Massillon does or they would get punished by the OHSAA too. Massillon has a well earned reputation for poaching kids for football. They certainly aren't coming for the education based on the state's latest evaluation of your school.
Old 09-24-18, 05:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
When the Open Enrollment law was passed originally by the state legislature there were few restrictions. When some schools started complaining, then the OHSAA initiated changes. In reality, these changes are unconstitutional. If they aren't why does the OHSAA lose most cases?
Can you give us some examples of these rulings of unconstitutionality of OHSAA's Open Enrollment/transfer rules. I'd love to read about them.

To be honest, it sounds like you rejoiced in 1989 when Open Enrollment was rolled out. It was probably thought of as an easier way to attract blue chippers without having to have them live in your town.

29 years later, now that it hasn't panned out as hoped, it's time to call Lee Plakas.

Oh the saltiness.
Old 09-24-18, 06:03 AM
All District

fan18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
So Steubenville isn't a quality opponent because they are D4? D3 St V stinks? Cleveland Rhodes is better because they are D1?

There is a difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor...one is among the worst in the state, the other among the best. Has nothing to do with their divisional assignments though.
Wow!! Ts1960 is correct it sounds like u don't have any common sense... I am glad that you have no say in the matter.. Cause if so conotton Valley would be playing McKinley possibly in conotton Valley.. Yo truly are special... Lol!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-18, 06:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan18 View Post
Wow!! Ts1960 is correct it sounds like u don't have any common sense... I am glad that you have no say in the matter.. Cause if so conotton Valley would be playing McKinley possibly in conotton Valley.. Yo truly are special... Lol!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
So Steubenville would be a cupcake while Rhodes would be an upgrade...thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-24-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bingo.

FL does not receive football transfers. Or basketball. Or volleyball. Or girls sports. Or wrestling.

Btw, Scalzo is a hack and a Yappi poster - on good authority. (Watch how quick that gets deleted).
Old 09-24-18, 09:38 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Matchups Toledo Whitmer twice, Iggy, Eds, your Tigers. The only outliers as far as traditional programs would be Medina (upsets do happen) and Stow ( 10 wins, lost to Eds by 6)

Your school gave up 56 unanswered in the playoffs last year, better upgrade the schedule.
Except we also won THREE playoff games last year so clearly our schedule helped prepare us. When was the last time mck or Jackson won 3 playoff games in one season ? The Tigers also played 4 D1 schools last year.
Old 09-24-18, 09:43 AM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What's your point the kid is still a transfer. If I live in Akron and move to North Canton and my son plays football you are saying he is not a transfer. But if I moved to Perry or Massillon my kid is a transfer because they are OE. Is this your thought process?
Old 09-24-18, 09:48 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Lake's coach seems to be saying they have no transfers.

And your argument that "Everyone does it but only Massillon gets in trouble" is juvenile. Everyone doesn't do the things Massillon does or they would get punished by the OHSAA too. Massillon has a well earned reputation for poaching kids for football. They certainly aren't coming for the education based on the state's latest evaluation of your school.
Of course he will say that, as Iíve said before EVERY coach will say all of his players are Tigers or Panthers or Golden Eagles, that certainly doesnít mean that every kid on that team has been in that school system since 1st grade. Anyone who hasnít isnít a ďhome grownĒ kid, I donít care how you twist it. A move in or transfer is just that.

Itís a coincidence the Hoover kids moved from Fredericktown to NC to follow Coach Baum.
Itís a coincidence that the mckinley kids moved from Colorado to Canton to follow Coach Reardon.
Itís a coincidence that the Perry kid moved from Dublin to Perry and he was a great wrestler and football player.
Old 09-24-18, 09:53 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Can you give us some examples of these rulings of unconstitutionality of OHSAA's Open Enrollment/transfer rules. I'd love to read about them.

To be honest, it sounds like you rejoiced in 1989 when Open Enrollment was rolled out. It was probably thought of as an easier way to attract blue chippers without having to have them live in your town.

29 years later, now that it hasn't panned out as hoped, it's time to call Lee Plakas.

Oh the saltiness.
Absolutely that is how it should be. Who owns the kids ? The parents or the OHSAA ?
If the parents want to move or want their son to transfer to an open enrollment school why should any organization be able to say otherwise.
How many times has the OHSAAA lost in situations exactly like this ?
Old 09-24-18, 09:55 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Bingo.

FL does not receive football transfers. Or basketball. Or volleyball. Or girls sports. Or wrestling.

Btw, Scalzo is a hack and a Yappi poster - on good authority. (Watch how quick that gets deleted).
Not to mention Scalzo is a Lake grad.
Old 09-24-18, 09:55 AM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It doesn't matter if they move or not, They are considered a transfer.

A student is considered to have transferred whenever a.) enrollment is changed from one school to another school and the student attends a new school, or b.) the student participates in a practice, scrimmage or contest with a school-sponsored squad of a school in which the student has not been enrolled unless the non-enrolled studentís participation is pursuant to O.R.C. ßß 3313.5311 (Ohio non-public school students), or 3313.537 (Ohio community/STEM school students).
Old 09-24-18, 10:21 AM
All World

Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:

Oh the saltiness.
Sure I can give you examples. How many times has Lee Plakas or anyone else lost when they challenged the "constitutionality" of these rules?

***Disclaimer*** I do not, and never did agree with the circus around the whole Munford situation. Thought the whole thing was a fiasco. And it's on the record here and other places. Glad it turned out well for the kid, though.
Old 09-24-18, 11:24 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
It doesn't matter if they move or not, They are considered a transfer.

A student is considered to have transferred whenever a.) enrollment is changed from one school to another school and the student attends a new school, or b.) the student participates in a practice, scrimmage or contest with a school-sponsored squad of a school in which the student has not been enrolled unless the non-enrolled studentís participation is pursuant to O.R.C. ßß 3313.5311 (Ohio non-public school students), or 3313.537 (Ohio community/STEM school students).
This is what happens when facts and common sense are posted on here....it gets so quiet....
Old 09-24-18, 11:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
What's your point the kid is still a transfer. If I live in Akron and move to North Canton and my son plays football you are saying he is not a transfer. But if I moved to Perry or Massillon my kid is a transfer because they are OE. Is this your thought process?
No, one of the differences is when you live in Akron and your kid attends Buchtel, then the next day he starts attending Washington and wants to play football even though you still live in Akron.

Remember, somewhere between 25 and 50 Tiger players don't live in the Massillon City School District.
Old 09-24-18, 11:42 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Mass kid - lives in Tuslaw - enrolled into Massillon - is under old rule

McK kid - Played at McK as Frosh, moved away with family, moved back with family.

so different deal.

and whats funny of dissecting the schedules is just a couple years ago most of these teams were D1, now with 7 divisions schools like NC and Perry and Green are D2 - playing a D2 as a D1 means you lose .5 of an L1

Playing a stout D2 is better than a weak D1

Now in saying that playing D4 schools as a D1.........I have no argument

but continue - don't let facts interfere with the BANTER LOL

Last edited by Football 101; 09-24-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Of course he will say that, as Iíve said before EVERY coach will say all of his players are Tigers or Panthers or Golden Eagles...
That's not what Scott Garcia said.

Added GlenOak coach/athletic director Scott Garcia, "It's going to help defer some of the ones (transfers) that are not legit. If somebody makes a legitimate move to a house or wherever, that's fine. We usually get a couple (transfers) a year in different sports, but most of them are there because they moved into our district."
Old 09-24-18, 11:53 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
How many times has the OHSAAA lost in situations exactly like this ?
I've asked the same question. Who's coming forth with the information. I'd love to see it.
Old 09-24-18, 11:54 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
That's not what Scott Garcia said.

Added GlenOak coach/athletic director Scott Garcia, "It's going to help defer some of the ones (transfers) that are not legit. If somebody makes a legitimate move to a house or wherever, that's fine. We usually get a couple (transfers) a year in different sports, but most of them are there because they moved into our district."
So you are saying for a fact that every GO kid on that football team has went to the GO school system since 1st grade ?
Old 09-24-18, 11:55 AM
All District

THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, one of the differences is when you live in Akron and your kid attends Buchtel, then the next day he starts attending Washington and wants to play football even though you still live in Akron.

Remember, somewhere between 25 and 50 Tiger players don't live in the Massillon City School District.
Who cares, they are open enrollment I don't have to move there. But if I did my kid is still a transfer same as if I moved to Canton which is closed enrollment. Same as the transfer you guys have from Portage county on your basketball team. Or the lineman from Plain tow ship he transferred to Jackson because his mom hitched up with somebody living in Jackson. No matter how you want to cut it they are transfers.
Old 09-24-18, 11:55 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:

So is it 25 or 50 or 26 or 34 ?
The bottom line is they are ALL Massillon Tigers.
Closed Thread