Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1231  
Old 09-23-18, 10:39 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: 24 & 9 Titles 71-53-5
Posts: 6,704
Maxie can only hope to improve
Very interesting. Joe Scalzo's article in the Repository mentioned that the Massillon Tigers will have a transfer player starting this week (6). However, he failed to report that McKinley had a transfer that played against North Canton this past weekend?
  #1232  
Old 09-23-18, 10:52 PM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
Very interesting. Joe Scalzo's article in the Repository mentioned that the Massillon Tigers will have a transfer player starting this week (6). However, he failed to report that McKinley had a transfer that played against North Canton this past weekend?
I could be wrong, but I suspect Scalzo is differentiating between a transfer who actually moves into a new school district and those that don't. Is it possible the McKinley kid in question moved to the Canton City School district?
  #1233  
Old 09-23-18, 11:30 PM
Tigeratv3 Tigeratv3 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-11-12
Posts: 88
Tigeratv3 is on a distinguished road
playing bigger schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Oh no please donít try to use common sense with him, I mean there is a reason the OHSAA divides the state into 7 divisions but according to him there is NO difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor.
This is an good example, of what can happen, but you are stacking the deck to meet your argument. Conotton Valley rarely wins any games at all, while Mentor is a power and wins 10+ almost yearly.

How about this example instead. Let's take smaller schools like Cardinal Mooney, Steubenville, St. Vincent-St. Mary, Archbishop Hoban Hudson, Nordonia, etc.. Which are power school at present in Divisions 2-5 or have been in the recent past vs playing Cleveland Rhodes, Cleveland John Marshall or maybe even Berea-Midpark. Which teams will give you more computer points or prepare you for a potential playoff run in this example?

See I can stack the deck too!

There are teams that win annually in both big schools and smaller schools, as there are also teams those lose a lot in all divisions. It all depends on who you play not necessarily which division they are in. If you pick two schools of similar history then, the bigger school if they playing bigger schools also will fetch you more points.
  #1234  
Old 09-23-18, 11:31 PM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: 24 & 9 Titles 71-53-5
Posts: 6,704
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I could be wrong, but I suspect Scalzo is differentiating between a transfer who actually moves into a new school district and those that don't. Is it possible the McKinley kid in question moved to the Canton City School district?

A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
  #1235  
Old 09-23-18, 11:50 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigeratv3 View Post
This is an good example, of what can happen, but you are stacking the deck to meet your argument. Conotton Valley rarely wins any games at all, while Mentor is a power and wins 10+ almost yearly.

How about this example instead. Let's take smaller schools like Cardinal Mooney, Steubenville, St. Vincent-St. Mary, Archbishop Hoban Hudson, Nordonia, etc.. Which are power school at present in Divisions 2-5 or have been in the recent past vs playing Cleveland Rhodes, Cleveland John Marshall or maybe even Berea-Midpark. Which teams will give you more computer points or prepare you for a potential playoff run in this example?

See I can stack the deck too!

There are teams that win annually in both big schools and smaller schools, as there are also teams those lose a lot in all divisions. It all depends on who you play not necessarily which division they are in. If you pick two schools of similar history then, the bigger school if they playing bigger schools also will fetch you more points.
The point is clearly the schedule mckinley is playing is not preparing them for a playoff run of any kind in region 1.
I canít believe that nobody thinks itís crazy that a school with more boys then about 80% of all the D1 schools is only going to play 2 D1 schools. They are going to play just as many D4 schools.
  #1236  
Old 09-23-18, 11:53 PM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
Once again you are trying to bring common sense into arguments on here, wonít you ever learn LOL.
As Iíve said numerous times there isnít a school in the fed where every kid on the football team went to grade school, middle and high school in the same district.
But of course Massillon is the only school that has transfers.
  #1237  
Old 09-24-18, 12:06 AM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 13,218
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Oh no please don’t try to use common sense with him, I mean there is a reason the OHSAA divides the state into 7 divisions but according to him there is NO difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor.
So Steubenville isn't a quality opponent because they are D4? D3 St V stinks? Cleveland Rhodes is better because they are D1?

There is a difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor...one is among the worst in the state, the other among the best. Has nothing to do with their divisional assignments though.
  #1238  
Old 09-24-18, 12:19 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
You may wish it was so but not all transfers are the same. Ask the OHSAA. Or you could read up on the bylaws on their website.

Your inability, or lack of desire, to comprehend the difference is no excuse.
  #1239  
Old 09-24-18, 12:25 AM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 13,218
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
If the regular season is good enough to prepare them for the playoffs explain the
2-7 playoff record since 2010 ?? Doesnít seem like those ďscrimmagesĒ are doing much, or according to some mck fans itís the fed league that has watered them down.
Matchups Toledo Whitmer twice, Iggy, Eds, your Tigers. The only outliers as far as traditional programs would be Medina (upsets do happen) and Stow ( 10 wins, lost to Eds by 6)

Your school gave up 56 unanswered in the playoffs last year, better upgrade the schedule.
  #1240  
Old 09-24-18, 01:00 AM
Maxie Maxie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-25-03
Location: 24 & 9 Titles 71-53-5
Posts: 6,704
Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
You may wish it was so but not all transfers are the same. Ask the OHSAA. Or you could read up on the bylaws on their website.

Your inability, or lack of desire, to comprehend the difference is no excuse.

When the Open Enrollment law was passed originally by the state legislature there were few restrictions. When some schools started complaining, then the OHSAA initiated changes. In reality, these changes are unconstitutional. If they aren't why does the OHSAA lose most cases?
  #1241  
Old 09-24-18, 05:30 AM
my2sense my2sense is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-23-16
Posts: 2,018
my2sense is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
As Iíve said numerous times there isnít a school in the fed where every kid on the football team went to grade school, middle and high school in the same district.
Lake's coach seems to be saying they have no transfers.

And your argument that "Everyone does it but only Massillon gets in trouble" is juvenile. Everyone doesn't do the things Massillon does or they would get punished by the OHSAA too. Massillon has a well earned reputation for poaching kids for football. They certainly aren't coming for the education based on the state's latest evaluation of your school.
  #1242  
Old 09-24-18, 05:49 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
When the Open Enrollment law was passed originally by the state legislature there were few restrictions. When some schools started complaining, then the OHSAA initiated changes. In reality, these changes are unconstitutional. If they aren't why does the OHSAA lose most cases?
Can you give us some examples of these rulings of unconstitutionality of OHSAA's Open Enrollment/transfer rules. I'd love to read about them.

To be honest, it sounds like you rejoiced in 1989 when Open Enrollment was rolled out. It was probably thought of as an easier way to attract blue chippers without having to have them live in your town.

29 years later, now that it hasn't panned out as hoped, it's time to call Lee Plakas.

Oh the saltiness.
  #1243  
Old 09-24-18, 06:03 AM
fan18 fan18 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-20-18
Posts: 143
fan18 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
So Steubenville isn't a quality opponent because they are D4? D3 St V stinks? Cleveland Rhodes is better because they are D1?

There is a difference between Conotton Valley and Mentor...one is among the worst in the state, the other among the best. Has nothing to do with their divisional assignments though.
Wow!! Ts1960 is correct it sounds like u don't have any common sense... I am glad that you have no say in the matter.. Cause if so conotton Valley would be playing McKinley possibly in conotton Valley.. Yo truly are special... Lol!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
  #1244  
Old 09-24-18, 06:27 AM
y2h y2h is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-18-01
Location: Mr. H-O-O-V-E-R!!!!
Posts: 13,218
y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan18 View Post
Wow!! Ts1960 is correct it sounds like u don't have any common sense... I am glad that you have no say in the matter.. Cause if so conotton Valley would be playing McKinley possibly in conotton Valley.. Yo truly are special... Lol!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
So Steubenville would be a cupcake while Rhodes would be an upgrade...thanks for clearing that up.
  #1245  
Old 09-24-18, 09:26 AM
TigerPaw TigerPaw is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-19-02
Posts: 11,076
TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
A transfer is a transfer. He has inferred that MWHS is the only Stark County school that receive transfer students. His quote, "Outside of Massillon, which has a reputation for attracting transfers, that dates back to Paul Brown, Stark County doesn't have a lot of schools that get outside athletes." ALL STARK SCHOOLS RECEIVE TRANSFERS, regardless of the method.
Bingo.

FL does not receive football transfers. Or basketball. Or volleyball. Or girls sports. Or wrestling.

Btw, Scalzo is a hack and a Yappi poster - on good authority. (Watch how quick that gets deleted).
  #1246  
Old 09-24-18, 09:38 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
Matchups Toledo Whitmer twice, Iggy, Eds, your Tigers. The only outliers as far as traditional programs would be Medina (upsets do happen) and Stow ( 10 wins, lost to Eds by 6)

Your school gave up 56 unanswered in the playoffs last year, better upgrade the schedule.
Except we also won THREE playoff games last year so clearly our schedule helped prepare us. When was the last time mck or Jackson won 3 playoff games in one season ? The Tigers also played 4 D1 schools last year.
  #1247  
Old 09-24-18, 09:43 AM
THE OWNER THE OWNER is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-15
Posts: 175
THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
I could be wrong, but I suspect Scalzo is differentiating between a transfer who actually moves into a new school district and those that don't. Is it possible the McKinley kid in question moved to the Canton City School district?
What's your point the kid is still a transfer. If I live in Akron and move to North Canton and my son plays football you are saying he is not a transfer. But if I moved to Perry or Massillon my kid is a transfer because they are OE. Is this your thought process?
  #1248  
Old 09-24-18, 09:48 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
Lake's coach seems to be saying they have no transfers.

And your argument that "Everyone does it but only Massillon gets in trouble" is juvenile. Everyone doesn't do the things Massillon does or they would get punished by the OHSAA too. Massillon has a well earned reputation for poaching kids for football. They certainly aren't coming for the education based on the state's latest evaluation of your school.
Of course he will say that, as Iíve said before EVERY coach will say all of his players are Tigers or Panthers or Golden Eagles, that certainly doesnít mean that every kid on that team has been in that school system since 1st grade. Anyone who hasnít isnít a ďhome grownĒ kid, I donít care how you twist it. A move in or transfer is just that.

Itís a coincidence the Hoover kids moved from Fredericktown to NC to follow Coach Baum.
Itís a coincidence that the mckinley kids moved from Colorado to Canton to follow Coach Reardon.
Itís a coincidence that the Perry kid moved from Dublin to Perry and he was a great wrestler and football player.
  #1249  
Old 09-24-18, 09:53 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Can you give us some examples of these rulings of unconstitutionality of OHSAA's Open Enrollment/transfer rules. I'd love to read about them.

To be honest, it sounds like you rejoiced in 1989 when Open Enrollment was rolled out. It was probably thought of as an easier way to attract blue chippers without having to have them live in your town.

29 years later, now that it hasn't panned out as hoped, it's time to call Lee Plakas.

Oh the saltiness.
Absolutely that is how it should be. Who owns the kids ? The parents or the OHSAA ?
If the parents want to move or want their son to transfer to an open enrollment school why should any organization be able to say otherwise.
How many times has the OHSAAA lost in situations exactly like this ?
  #1250  
Old 09-24-18, 09:55 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Bingo.

FL does not receive football transfers. Or basketball. Or volleyball. Or girls sports. Or wrestling.

Btw, Scalzo is a hack and a Yappi poster - on good authority. (Watch how quick that gets deleted).
Not to mention Scalzo is a Lake grad.
  #1251  
Old 09-24-18, 09:55 AM
firewatch firewatch is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-19-09
Posts: 3,807
firewatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
You may wish it was so but not all transfers are the same. Ask the OHSAA. Or you could read up on the bylaws on their website.

Your inability, or lack of desire, to comprehend the difference is no excuse.
It doesn't matter if they move or not, They are considered a transfer.


A student is considered to have transferred whenever a.) enrollment is changed from one school to another school and the student attends a new school, or b.) the student participates in a practice, scrimmage or contest with a school-sponsored squad of a school in which the student has not been enrolled unless the non-enrolled studentís participation is pursuant to O.R.C. ßß 3313.5311 (Ohio non-public school students), or 3313.537 (Ohio community/STEM school students).
  #1252  
Old 09-24-18, 10:21 AM
Egret Egret is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-08-09
Posts: 4,427
Egret has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Can you give us some examples of these rulings of unconstitutionality of OHSAA's Open Enrollment/transfer rules. I'd love to read about them.

To be honest, it sounds like you rejoiced in 1989 when Open Enrollment was rolled out. It was probably thought of as an easier way to attract blue chippers without having to have them live in your town.

29 years later, now that it hasn't panned out as hoped, it's time to call Lee Plakas.

Oh the saltiness.
Sure I can give you examples. How many times has Lee Plakas or anyone else lost when they challenged the "constitutionality" of these rules?

***Disclaimer*** I do not, and never did agree with the circus around the whole Munford situation. Thought the whole thing was a fiasco. And it's on the record here and other places. Glad it turned out well for the kid, though.
  #1253  
Old 09-24-18, 11:24 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
It doesn't matter if they move or not, They are considered a transfer.


A student is considered to have transferred whenever a.) enrollment is changed from one school to another school and the student attends a new school, or b.) the student participates in a practice, scrimmage or contest with a school-sponsored squad of a school in which the student has not been enrolled unless the non-enrolled studentís participation is pursuant to O.R.C. ßß 3313.5311 (Ohio non-public school students), or 3313.537 (Ohio community/STEM school students).
This is what happens when facts and common sense are posted on here....it gets so quiet....
  #1254  
Old 09-24-18, 11:40 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE OWNER View Post
What's your point the kid is still a transfer. If I live in Akron and move to North Canton and my son plays football you are saying he is not a transfer. But if I moved to Perry or Massillon my kid is a transfer because they are OE. Is this your thought process?
No, one of the differences is when you live in Akron and your kid attends Buchtel, then the next day he starts attending Washington and wants to play football even though you still live in Akron.

Remember, somewhere between 25 and 50 Tiger players don't live in the Massillon City School District.
  #1255  
Old 09-24-18, 11:42 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 1,177
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Mass kid - lives in Tuslaw - enrolled into Massillon - is under old rule

McK kid - Played at McK as Frosh, moved away with family, moved back with family.

so different deal.

and whats funny of dissecting the schedules is just a couple years ago most of these teams were D1, now with 7 divisions schools like NC and Perry and Green are D2 - playing a D2 as a D1 means you lose .5 of an L1

Playing a stout D2 is better than a weak D1

Now in saying that playing D4 schools as a D1.........I have no argument

but continue - don't let facts interfere with the BANTER LOL

Last edited by Football 101; 09-24-18 at 12:05 PM.
  #1256  
Old 09-24-18, 11:50 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Of course he will say that, as Iíve said before EVERY coach will say all of his players are Tigers or Panthers or Golden Eagles...
That's not what Scott Garcia said.

Added GlenOak coach/athletic director Scott Garcia, "It's going to help defer some of the ones (transfers) that are not legit. If somebody makes a legitimate move to a house or wherever, that's fine. We usually get a couple (transfers) a year in different sports, but most of them are there because they moved into our district."
  #1257  
Old 09-24-18, 11:53 AM
Mackinbiner Mackinbiner is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-26-03
Posts: 6,466
Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
How many times has the OHSAAA lost in situations exactly like this ?
I've asked the same question. Who's coming forth with the information. I'd love to see it.
  #1258  
Old 09-24-18, 11:54 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
That's not what Scott Garcia said.

Added GlenOak coach/athletic director Scott Garcia, "It's going to help defer some of the ones (transfers) that are not legit. If somebody makes a legitimate move to a house or wherever, that's fine. We usually get a couple (transfers) a year in different sports, but most of them are there because they moved into our district."
So you are saying for a fact that every GO kid on that football team has went to the GO school system since 1st grade ?
  #1259  
Old 09-24-18, 11:55 AM
THE OWNER THE OWNER is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-07-15
Posts: 175
THE OWNER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
No, one of the differences is when you live in Akron and your kid attends Buchtel, then the next day he starts attending Washington and wants to play football even though you still live in Akron.

Remember, somewhere between 25 and 50 Tiger players don't live in the Massillon City School District.
Who cares, they are open enrollment I don't have to move there. But if I did my kid is still a transfer same as if I moved to Canton which is closed enrollment. Same as the transfer you guys have from Portage county on your basketball team. Or the lineman from Plain tow ship he transferred to Jackson because his mom hitched up with somebody living in Jackson. No matter how you want to cut it they are transfers.
  #1260  
Old 09-24-18, 11:55 AM
Ts1960 Ts1960 is offline
Cooling Off
 
Join Date: 12-20-17
Posts: 2,223
Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
No, one of the differences is when you live in Akron and your kid attends Buchtel, then the next day he starts attending Washington and wants to play football even though you still live in Akron.

Remember, somewhere between 25 and 50 Tiger players don't live in the Massillon City School District.
So is it 25 or 50 or 26 or 34 ?
The bottom line is they are ALL Massillon Tigers.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stark county terriers 15u, 16u & 17/18u tryouts for fall 2018 & summer 2019! StarkCountyTerriers Baseball 0 07-23-18 01:48 PM
Prep Hoops Ohio (Rankings) Krasula24 Boys Basketball 3 02-01-18 08:54 AM
Stark County Banter 2017 THESHADOW14 Football 1651 01-31-18 01:04 PM
Wolverine-Buckeye tournaments - Over 1,000 entries for 2018 already Wolverine-Buckeye TC Baseball 0 12-28-17 11:21 PM
Stark County Terriers 16U & 18U Tryouts for 2018! StarkCountyTerriers Baseball 0 07-18-17 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz