Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-01-18, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
What Movies Did You Watch in January 2018?

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#3727 The Cat and the Canary (US-1939) ... 3.0/8

#3728 Girl House (Canada-2014) ... 4.0/8

Last edited by vamp2syd; 01-04-18 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-18, 07:53 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
Three Billboards outside of Ebbings Missouri - Good film, not a great one. It makes important statements about police/community relations, race relations, family dynamics and grief with loss. It could have been much better. It suffered to a large extent due to what my wife calls "Melissa McCarthy moments" named after that actresses performance in Identity Theft (2013) where in the end a serious criminal act is committed for laughs which has no ramifications. There were several such moments in this film, most of which were added for shock or laughs but one of which was an important plot device. None of which were realistically dealt with and that took away from the film.

5/8
Old 01-02-18, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Silence: 4.5/8

This is a tough one for me. I had heard plenty of good things about it, and the performances by the main cast is phenomenal, but this movie just doesn't do it for me. I have no doubt it's a very good film and that there are others out there who may love it, but this is a film where I can recognize it's a very good film, yet bored the hell out of me. I will say that at least it didn't end the way I expected.
Old 01-03-18, 04:58 PM
All World

Look for 12 Strong coming out later this month. The movie is based on the book (Horse Soldiers) I read three years ago. The book was great and my hopes for the film is the same.

Old 01-03-18, 05:42 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Lady Bird - 7.5/8

I, Tonya - 6/8

Call Me By Your Name - 7.5/8

Justice League - 3/8

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 5/8

Blade Runner 2049 - 6.5/8
Old 01-03-18, 10:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
Lady Bird - 7.5/8

I, Tonya - 6/8

Call Me By Your Name - 7.5/8

Justice League - 3/8

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 5/8

Blade Runner 2049 - 6.5/8
You have been busy. I am looking forward to seeing I, Tonya. I like Margot Robbie for one and I remember the whole soap opera of Tonya vs. Nancy while it was going on.
Old 01-04-18, 12:42 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
All the Money in the World - 5/8
Old 01-04-18, 07:48 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
The Cat and the Canary (1939)

Horror/Comedy: Bob Hope plays an annoying character in this remake as an eccentric family meet at their dead uncles remote mansion in the swamps for a reading of the will. Bob Hope was just way too annoying for me as I may have mentioned many times before I do not always fair well in Horror-spoofs.... 3.0/8

GirlHouse (Canada-2014)

Horror: A girl looking for quick money gets a job at a house at a secret location where the girls strip and have sex for online onlookers. Everything is great at first until some nut finds the location of the house and goes on a rampage.... It's a SLASHER baby!!!!! Throw in lots of nudity and what could go wrong.... well, something happened that I did not like but I do not remember what it was.... 4.0/8
Old 01-05-18, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Battle of the Sexes- Based on the true story of the tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs in 1973. I thought Steve Carrell was awesome in this, but the movie itself was just average IMO.

4.5/8
Old 01-06-18, 01:53 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Molly's Game 5.5/8
Old 01-06-18, 09:07 AM
All World

Naked Prey (1965) - I have seen films based on humans being hunted for sport before going back to The Most Dangerous Game (1932). So, the concept was not very original, however, the filming and production were novel. Very little English was spoken since the only English speaking character was alone for most of the film and the tribal members spoke in their language without the benefit of subtitles. Of course we knew what they were saying, so sub-titles were not needed ("kill the great white hunter"). Nominated for Best Screenplay in 1965. I do not believe it has aged very well.

4/8
Old 01-06-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Cannabis Kid- 4.25/8. Basically this fat kid becomes a drug king pin using his wigger friends to smuggle pot into the US from Canada. It's actually based on a true story and pretty close to what happened.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...nabis-20130606
Old 01-06-18, 04:36 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
What Movies Did You Watch in January 2018?

Justice League: 4/8

Finally got around to seeing this. It was interesting walking out. Overall I think Batman vs Superman was a better and more entertaining movie (which isn't saying much), but I left the theater happier after Justice League.

I think I can boil it down to two reasons: 1) I had absolutely no expectations for this movie whereas BvS was a huge letdown and 2) I used my MoviePass so I didn't pay for it.

BvS was littered with editing, writing and plot issues. JL has better editing for sure and maybe even writing, but just as many plot issues. They added a lot of jokes to JL to make it less gloomy but most of them feel forced. Especially regarding The Flash who comes off annoying and pales in comparison to his TV counterpart. There is also a major part of the trailer that isn't even in the movie and clearly was a casualty of the director change while filming.

BvS wasn't good but at least had an entertaining third act. JL, I can't recall a single part that I got excited over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-18, 04:39 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Justice League: 4/8

Finally got around to seeing this. It was interesting walking out. Overall I think Batman vs Superman was a better and more entertaining movie (which isn't saying much), but I left the theater happier after Justice League.

I think I can boil it down to two reasons: 1) I had absolutely no expectations for this movie whereas BvS was a huge letdown and 2) I used my MoviePass so I didn't pay for it.

BvS was littered with editing, writing and plot issues. JL has better editing for sure and maybe even writing, but just as many plot issues. They added a lot of jokes to JL to make it less gloomy but most of them feel forced. Especially regarding The Flash who comes off annoying and pales in comparison to his TV counterpart. There is also a major part of the trailer that isn't even in the movie and clearly was a casualty of the director change while filming.

BvS wasn't good but at least had an entertaining third act. JL, I can't recall a single part that I got excited over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And Gal Gadot is very nice to look at.
Old 01-06-18, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Lethal Weapon 5/8 didn't hold up as well as I thought it would.
Lethal Weapon 2 3/8 Gibson can't decide between a Boston or NYC or an Australian accent but never seem to hit anything resembling any Californian. For that matter, most of the actors seemed geographically confused. Nice tie in to the motivator of the first movie though. Pesci wears a little thin but he's supposed to.

Lethal Weapon 3 3/8 but the relationships are holding this together. Addition of Russo adds to the mix.

Lethal Weapon 4 6/8 the relationships build and hold it together. The addition of a "new" relationship added to the comedy.

I didn't find the bad guys particularly memorable in any of the movies. Stereotype of the month sort of thing.
Old 01-07-18, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Hell or High Water (2016)

7/8

Great movie about a couple of down & out guys robbing banks in West Texas. Top notch performances by Chris Pine, Ben Foster and especially Jeff Bridges as a grizzled old Texas Ranger nearing retirement. The movie does an amazing job of recreating the West Texas physical environment and culture.
Old 01-07-18, 04:21 PM
All World

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Red Light (1949) - George Raft, Virginia Mayo, Raymond Burr, Harry Morgan

Even though this is a short movie at just an hour and twenty-three minutes, it seemed much longer. I dozed off at about the one hour mark. The most best thing about the movie was the story's moral. Interesting to see Burr and Morgan as "bad guys". 5/8 may be generous.

Last edited by EagleGuy; 01-07-18 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 05:31 PM
All Yappi

BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
You have been busy. I am looking forward to seeing I, Tonya. I like Margot Robbie for one and I remember the whole soap opera of Tonya vs. Nancy while it was going on.
I try and watch all the Oscar contender screeners when they start to leak. There are some great ones this year.

I, Tonya is very good - a lot more comedy than I expected. Margo is great in it.
Old 01-07-18, 05:45 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post

7/8

Great movie about a couple of down & out guys robbing banks in West Texas. Top notch performances by Chris Pine, Ben Foster and especially Jeff Bridges as a grizzled old Texas Ranger nearing retirement. The movie does an amazing job of recreating the West Texas physical environment and culture.
I really liked this movie as well. Knew nothing going in. You are right, I love that West Texas feel (No Country For Old Men).
Old 01-07-18, 05:55 PM
All Yappi

Turn (season 4) 7/8 Very well paced final season. One of the best ironic best guys I can think of, Col Simco. I really don't know how historically accurate, suppose I could google it but it had many memorable characters thoughout.
Old 01-07-18, 09:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Turn (season 4) 7/8 Very well paced final season. One of the best ironic best guys I can think of, Col Simco. I really don't know how historically accurate, suppose I could google it but it had many memorable characters thoughout.
I also liked this show a lot. Other then it's attempt to make it conform to modern notions of story telling, the history was fairly accurate. I especially liked the way they handled the pathos of Benedict Arnold.
Old 01-08-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
The Good Doctor (season 1) 5/8

My wife and I started this over the weekend, but she only made it a couple episodes. Said the guys voice was too much to handle. I watched the whole first season and thought It was good. Has some flaws but worth the watch. Some of the acting is questionable but the main character was great.
Old 01-08-18, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Going to see I, Tonya tomorrow. Her mother reminds me of Dicky Ecklund's mother in The Fighter so it should be awesome.
Old 01-08-18, 10:16 AM
All Yappi

fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Caught I,Tonya at the Esquire last night. 8/8 for me...freaking brilliant.

Janney and Robbie both crushed it, and Sebastian Stan was no slouch either.
Old 01-08-18, 01:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I also liked this show a lot. Other then it's attempt to make it conform to modern notions of story telling, the history was fairly accurate. I especially liked the way they handled the pathos of Benedict Arnold.
specifics? And I doubt there's much done "modern" these days. It's wash, rinse, repeat. Everyone took the same Shakespeare class, then the "avant" pick some other drunk or drugged writer to emulate.

The "dream sequences" had me asking "why?"
Old 01-08-18, 02:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
specifics? And I doubt there's much done "modern" these days. It's wash, rinse, repeat. Everyone took the same Shakespeare class, then the "avant" pick some other drunk or drugged writer to emulate.

The "dream sequences" had me asking "why?"
The three areas where they incorporated "modern" story telling elements were:

* The sappy love stories among the main characters. I could have used more history and less Peyton Place. By my count there were about 5 different competing love interests complicating matters. This was added to the story no doubt to bring in a larger female audience.

* They also over emphasized the role of women and African Americans. I actually have no problem with this as these stories need to be told but the suggestion that we would have lost the revolutionary war without their help was a bit over the top. Again not so much a criticism as a comment on how the series employed modern story telling techniques.

* I also thought they emphasized the "little guys" at the expense of the historical heavyweights to much. Sorry but Abe, Ben, Caleb & Anna didn't actually win the war.

They did get some things right and the most important one IMO was the deep division among the colonists between those that wanted separation from Britain and those that remained loyal to the crown. I know there was an argument a year ago on Yappi about whether the Revolutionary War was actually more of a civil war than a revolution and I think "Turn" provides a nice example of those elements of the revolution that were civil war like.
Old 01-08-18, 06:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The three areas where they incorporated "modern" story telling elements were:

1. * The sappy love stories among the main characters.

2 * They also over emphasized the role of women and African Americans.

3 * I also thought they emphasized the "little guys" at the expense of the historical heavyweights to much.
1. Well I imagine they had triangles back then too but it's hardly a modern story telling technique, which was my question.

2 and 3 I imagine is what made it avoid same-old. Those stories you're talking about have been told. I liked the focus on skull duggery as opposed to the heavy weights but also agree, a few cameos would have been cool. I also recognize that history being written by a demographic might reflect that demographic. I've certainly no evidence that "women and African Americans" played no role. I'm certainly not intimidated by the possibility or concerned that they over-emphasized by including about three women and three African-Americans into the main storyline.

Perhaps these were just story hooks to attract a modern audience or perhaps it was a better reflection of the reality?
Old 01-08-18, 06:51 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Quote:

7/8

Also, appreciated that the "villian" in this movie is reverse mortgages, very interesting concept.
Old 01-08-18, 09:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
1. Well I imagine they had triangles back then too but it's hardly a modern story telling technique, which was my question.

2 and 3 I imagine is what made it avoid same-old. Those stories you're talking about have been told. I liked the focus on skull duggery as opposed to the heavy weights but also agree, a few cameos would have been cool. I also recognize that history being written by a demographic might reflect that demographic. I've certainly no evidence that "women and African Americans" played no role. I'm certainly not intimidated by the possibility or concerned that they over-emphasized by including about three women and three African-Americans into the main storyline.

Perhaps these were just story hooks to attract a modern audience or perhaps it was a better reflection of the reality?
I'm already bored watching the college football championship as two SEC teams bang into each other grunting and making all sorts of hysterical sounds of fury that isn't amounting to much.

The bolded part of your last sentence answers the question you asked me. That is exactly why they did it and that's the "modern story telling technique" I was referring to.

And for the record I am not intimidated by the inclusion of women & minorities in the story line. However, I am concerned that in trying to make the story more accessible to a modern diverse audience they exaggerate their roles. It's not a big deal to me, just an observation.
Old 01-08-18, 09:38 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Also, appreciated that the "villian" in this movie is reverse mortgages, very interesting concept.
Yea it was but after investigating them for my parents years ago they are evil!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: