Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-18, 12:50 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Really, "most" don't have good jobs? Then we are failing. I disagree. Look, we get what we get. There are some who are just had some bad breaks, illness, etc. But largely, the homeless are there because they put themselves there.
When you work at a job be a GREAT employee!! Be the person the company can't do without. Sadly many do just enough to keep their job, then wonder why the get downsized or their company closes.
Seriously, what do you consider a "good" job?? One that pays you for your time? Does the hourly salary make a difference in determining a "good" job? How about a job with no benefits? Can it still be a "good" job.

BE GREAT at your job because you won't get fired or the company won't go under. Cause great employees don't get fired at all. No one gets let go because they cost the company too much money in salary. No one gets let go because they may be a tad bit north of age 60. Business models never change, and mergers never happen. Companies only go out of business because they have bad workers. Why isn't Burger King dead then? Companies never get undercut by foreign producers using $1.50 an hour workers.
Old 01-12-18, 08:22 PM
All Yappi

MickeyMantle is on a distinguished road
Wow, 14Red is sure a piece of work.
Old 01-16-18, 09:06 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Seriously, what do you consider a "good" job?? One that pays you for your time? Does the hourly salary make a difference in determining a "good" job? How about a job with no benefits? Can it still be a "good" job.

BE GREAT at your job because you won't get fired or the company won't go under. Cause great employees don't get fired at all. No one gets let go because they cost the company too much money in salary. No one gets let go because they may be a tad bit north of age 60. Business models never change, and mergers never happen. Companies only go out of business because they have bad workers. Why isn't Burger King dead then? Companies never get undercut by foreign producers using $1.50 an hour workers.
I have no idea where you are going. Yes, companys do go under, some by no fault of their own, but many because they do have poor workers. But this is about the homeless. At a time when jobs are all over the place...GO WORK!!!! If there are no jobs where you are at ...MOVE to where the jobs are !!! It's not that difficult!! Most are homeless because of poor money handling, or some type of addiction.
Old 01-16-18, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Bring back Bum Fights. It was a great way to employ the homeless.
Old 01-16-18, 10:42 AM
All World

Is there something I said that's not accurate? Or do you just not like me talking mean about people?
Old 01-16-18, 10:54 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Is there something I said that's not accurate? Or do you just not like me talking mean about people?
You’re not accurate. Please post some figures. I believe someone else did earlier and showed you wrong.
Old 01-16-18, 11:01 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Why would I give a crap about you talking mean to a whole class of ppl???
Old 01-22-18, 05:21 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Clearing the Santa Ana Encampment
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7eda215ed148

Quote:
Officials in nearby cities are concerned that homeless residents will wind up living on the streets once they’re pushed out of the riverbed.

That’s what Brooke Weitzman, an attorney and advocate for the homeless, said she expects will happen since there’s only 100 spaces at shelters that don’t meet the needs of many homeless people. “It’s not effective. It’s not humane. It’s not giving people any choice,” she said. “There’s nowhere to go other than the city sidewalks.”
How about your house Brooke? Perfectly willing the let them live on the lawns and public trails outside the houses of others, why not your house.

Old 01-22-18, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I volunteered with the homeless for a while. The reality, as opposed to the uneducated perception, is that the great percentage of the homeless are homeless due to mental health and/or substance addiction issues. Those who are on the streets in major cities are often there because they are unable or unwilling to comply with the rules of an available homeless shelter. This isn't the great depression where people are on the streets because they "are down in their luck." Sure, it happens, but that's very much the exception to the rule.

Anyone who thinks that higher paying jobs or building more shelters is the solution is as silly as the person who thinks that using tissues will cure a cold.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 01-23-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

but... you also didn't offer a solution. Though the gist I believe, you don't see a problem. I might be inclined to agree.

There are no doubt some communities in which a person "homeless" cannot find a shelter but in an urban area? It's a matter of taking the bus downtown and as you say, following rules.

People can spend their dollars as charitably as they wish but solution to "homelessness," take government off the table. Not because I'm dogmatic conservative but I'm dogmatic "that won't work." Well, if the homeless soul commits a crime, then governmental solution can help out but it can't heal families that won't let a homeless stay with them. It can't make a person follow shelter rules.

Is there a "problem?" Not on a macro we need government to solve this problem scale.
Old 01-22-18, 08:10 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
Get a job, sha na na na, sha na na na na
Old 01-22-18, 09:10 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Homeless people just need to buy some bootstraps and pull themselves up by them.
Old 01-23-18, 08:31 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
but... you also didn't offer a solution. Though the gist I believe, you don't see a problem. I might be inclined to agree.

There are no doubt some communities in which a person "homeless" cannot find a shelter but in an urban area? It's a matter of taking the bus downtown and as you say, following rules.

People can spend their dollars as charitably as they wish but solution to "homelessness," take government off the table. Not because I'm dogmatic conservative but I'm dogmatic "that won't work." Well, if the homeless soul commits a crime, then governmental solution can help out but it can't heal families that won't let a homeless stay with them. It can't make a person follow shelter rules.

Is there a "problem?" Not on a macro we need government to solve this problem scale.
I think the solution is implied in my post- focus on the real problems- mental health and substance addiction.
Old 01-23-18, 08:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I volunteered with the homeless for a while. The reality, as opposed to the uneducated perception, is that the great percentage of the homeless are homeless due to mental health and/or substance addiction issues. Those who are on the streets in major cities are often there because they are unable or unwilling to comply with the rules of an available homeless shelter. This isn't the great depression where people are on the streets because they "are down in their luck." Sure, it happens, but that's very much the exception to the rule.

Anyone who thinks that higher paying jobs or building more shelters is the solution is as silly as the person who things that using tissues will cure a cold.
Absolutely correct clark, all the left like to do is just keep raising wages, when the work is worth the same. Most people have financial probably not because of what they earn, but what they SPEND. Go to a convenience store sometime and just watch how money is spent. Not to classify, but generally, lower income folks go there and spend 2-3 times more on items they could get at a regular discount grocery store. They buy lottery tickets, cigs and alcohol. And my favorite new vice of our millennials...energy drinks and fancy coffee. These 20-32 oz energy drinks are $2-$3-$4 EACH! And these kids drink several a day?? A cup of coffee that used to be brewed at home on the coffeemaker is now Starbucks that's $3-$4 each? I'm tired of hearing about the working poor. We all started out poor!!
Old 01-23-18, 08:53 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
A guy at my church heads up a ministry serving a homeless campsite located along a creek behind our shopping center, bringing them food once a month, and also socks and toiletries. He's retired USMC, and that fact earned him some cred with the community because of the veterans there.

I'm curious how many of the people I see nowadays begging at intersections and gas stations are truly homeless, at least in my part of town. I've heard stories from acquaintances about some of the beggars we regularly see at those intersection going into nearby low-income apartments at the end of their shift, instead of the location of the homeless camp.

After reading the Sherlock Holmes story "The Man With The Twisted Lip", and hearing stories about how much some beggars collect each day, it's easy to believe they have homes to go after a hard day of holding a sign at an intersection. They might well collect enough to pay for both food and rent.
Old 01-23-18, 03:57 PM
All World

We need to have two underlying processes here, #1 - life is not fair and #2 take care of your own basic needs. Life is not fair. Some are born into unforeseen circumstances, poverty, death of a parent, or just flat our poor parents. But that does not mean it has to be a kids life forever. Public school systems guarantee every kid a certain level of education. Some take advantage, some down and there is alot in between.
My point is that everyone has the ability to live the type of life they want. Those that choose to drink and take drugs or have unprotected sex at an early age, set a path of life that makes it very difficult.
Homeless people just don't get there overnight. There is generally a pattern, usually a long patter of poor decisions that lead the person to this point in their life. Many just give up and choose to be homeless.
Old 01-23-18, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I think the solution is implied in my post- focus on the real problems- mental health and substance addiction.
Are those the driving causes of "homelessness" that has made it a "problem?" My take on your post was that it isn't a problem. I don't challenge that.

I'm not sure we have solved mental health or substance addiction. If we have I imagine it might be a bigger bill than the country would be willing to foot for something that has so little impact on the health of the country.

To ME, homelessness still seems to belong in the realm of the non-profit and charitable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: