Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-29-17, 09:31 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Fighting Homelessness

Saw a couple of article in today's paper about homelessness, of course it's cold out now so it becomes more "important".

So I want to offer some ways to fight homelessness...

1. Apply, accept and retain a job. Don't quit a job until you have another one. Unemployment is at near all time lows. If you can't find a job where you live...MOVE to where the jobs are.

2. Don't live above your means. Having dish TV, cell phones are not necessary, or at least get the minimum of these "luxury" items.

3. Don't smoke or drink. These are luxury items that you can do, once you can provide the basics for yourself. This seems really simple, but go ask a homeless person if they drink or smoke, I'd guess the percentage is off the charts, and is a main reason why they are homeless. Mainly because smoking and drinking leads to addition -- the major reason for homelessness.

Homeless people are homeless because of a long line of major poor choices they've made. Don't feel sorry for them by giving them things. You are only enabling them. Happy New Year.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-17, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Happy New Year homeless people!
Old 12-29-17, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Many are mentally ill or veterans who couldn't integrate back into society.
Old 12-29-17, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Many are mentally ill or veterans who couldn't integrate back into society.
Liberals are too concerned about guns being legal to try and help people with mental illness.
Old 12-29-17, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
Liberals are too concerned about guns being legal to try and help people with mental illness.
Don't get me wrong, some are homeless bc of idiotic decisions, but a good portion are their bc they've been kicked out of mental hospitals or never recovered from PTSD
Old 12-29-17, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
Don't get me wrong, some are homeless bc of idiotic decisions, but a good portion are their bc they've been kicked out of mental hospitals or never recovered from PTSD
Agreed. I think a lot of people with mental illness don't even get "kicked out" but rather voluntarily withdraw. When you have mental illness your brain is "wired that way" and treatment is going to feel unnatural. That is a big reason mental illness can be so hard to treat. Can't fault individual for the way they are (assuming mental illness wasn't due to drug use or something they caused)

It's amazing how poorly the human brain is understood with all the advances we've made in other areas.
Old 12-29-17, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
The problem with helping the Homeless is the fickle nature of it's occurrence. The best I can figure out is that homelessness vanishes magically when a democrat is POTUS and then surges back into the limelight as soon as a republican sits in the White House. I mean Regan, Bush 1 & Bush 2 had almost daily stories chronicling the heartbreak of homeless families while during the Obama & Clinton years the problem was never mentioned in polite company or at any media outlets.

If we could just discover the secret that democrats employ to so thoroughly wipe homelessness from the public's conscious then everyone would be happier - right?
Old 12-29-17, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Lotr thinks the media is inventing the homeless. Christ, what a loon.
Old 12-29-17, 10:13 AM
All Yappi

The media reports about homelessness more when a republican is president despite rates of homelessness remaining virtually unchanged between republican and democratic presidencies.

The vast majority of journalists are fake news. Incredibly unethical.
Old 12-29-17, 10:21 AM
All American

El Indio is on a distinguished road
Then just call me an enabler. I was in a drive thru and a gentleman came up to my window pushing his bike and said he needed money for food. I asked him what he would like and met up with him after I got my food and gave him his and he went into the restaurant to eat and get warm. If I can help someone in need, I do it if I can. He didn't even ask for a drink, but I got him one anyways.
Old 12-29-17, 10:25 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBobcatFan06 View Post
The media reports about homelessness more when a republican is president despite rates of homelessness remaining virtually unchanged between republican and democratic presidencies.

The vast majority of journalists are fake news. Incredibly unethical.
Do they? That sounds made up, but okay.
Old 12-29-17, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Do they? That sounds made up, but okay.
Google news allows you to search news based on a date range.

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...2F2016&tbm=nws
Google news search for 2016 (full year) "homelessness"
952,000 news stories

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o....0.gPANOhEEQnA
Google news search for 2017 (through today) "homelessness"
4.9 million news stories

Lyin' fake news media
Old 12-29-17, 11:11 AM
Cooling Off

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
I really doubt many people are homeless because they spent too much money on a satellite dish
Old 12-29-17, 11:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I really doubt many people are homeless because they spent too much money on a satellite dish
I met a guy just last week here in Akron who said he migrated from Cincinnati because he lost all his money buying a satellite dish. Said he'd rather live in Akron than Cincinnati because he could build an igloo to live in and it wouldn't melt plus the people are nicer & smarter in NEO compared to SWO.
Old 12-29-17, 11:22 AM
Cooling Off

Trying so hard, for so little.
Old 12-29-17, 11:52 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Saw a couple of article in today's paper about homelessness, of course it's cold out now so it becomes more "important".

So I want to offer some ways to fight homelessness...

3. Don't smoke or drink. Mainly because smoking and drinking leads to addition -- the major reason for homelessness.

Homeless people are homeless because of a long line of major poor choices they've made. Don't feel sorry for them by giving them things. You are only enabling them. Happy New Year.
I never understood why some of the people on here give you such a hard time. After this stupid post I have seen the light.

Smoking and drinking lead to addition? Maybe I should have got my kids hooked when they were little. Might have been better at math. So these are gateway drugs now? How did I survive my college years?

1) Young people experience short term homelessness due to familial disruption.
2) Veterans - they account for somewhere around 25% of the homeless population.
3) An estimated 90,000 families experience homelessness on a daily basis due to a death in the family, medical emergency, job loss and not being able to afford living in their home.
Old 12-29-17, 12:00 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
I never understood why some of the people on here give you such a hard time. After this stupid post I have seen the light.

Smoking and drinking lead to addition? Maybe I should have got my kids hooked when they were little. Might have been better at math. So these are gateway drugs now? How did I survive my college years?

1) Young people experience short term homelessness due to familial disruption.
2) Veterans - they account for somewhere around 25% of the homeless population.
3) An estimated 90,000 families experience homelessness on a daily basis due to a death in the family, medical emergency, job loss and not being able to afford living in their home.
Where in the heck do you get these stats from??? And yes, I'd agree with #3, but isn't there a rainy day fund? No back up plan? There are alot of veterans who do just fine getting back into society, don't even go there.

And yes, my fav, my guess is 80+% of those with addition problems started by smoking (probably in their teens) and drinking, then basic drugs, pot, and it just escalates from there. It's not rocket science, this is what happens.
Old 12-29-17, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Lol classic "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps" post.
Old 12-29-17, 12:08 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
There are alot of veterans who do just fine getting back into society, don't even go there.
And there are a lot who don't. Pretty disgusting you'd imply those veterans who struggle are somehow lesser people.
Old 12-29-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Or bc they took up smoking. I've heard cigs are expensive, but they can't be so expensive you can't afford your rent.
Old 12-29-17, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

Cell phone use is probably the new catalyst to homelessness, seeing as how it has caused smoking to plummet among teens, according to some...
Old 12-29-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Cell phone use is probably the new catalyst to homelessness, seeing as how it has caused smoking to plummet among teens, according to some...
Thank god kids have stopped smoking and moved on to heroin.
Old 12-29-17, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

Stories on homeless are mostly local, either an awareness piece like the homeless man who died over the weekend in Cincinnati or stats of increases of the homeless, I think it’s funny that obcdf and lotr think the media should ignore these issues because it makes their favored party look bad.
Old 12-29-17, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Red is an evil genious
Old 12-29-17, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
"Homelessness" and the military. Do you know that whenever an active duty military member makes a PCS(permanent change of station) move they are counted as being homeless because they "have no address of record"? Even if home on leave and staying at their parents house they are classed as "homeless". When you think of the number of PCS moves made in a year, including families of many service members, you can see how the "homeless" numbers are bogus. Once out of the service I have no answer why they are homeless then. Just thought those who go by numbers for any time frame might like to know the way "homelessness" is calculated.
Old 12-29-17, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Where in the heck do you get these stats from??? And yes, I'd agree with #3, but isn't there a rainy day fund? No back up plan? There are alot of veterans who do just fine getting back into society, don't even go there.

And yes, my fav, my guess is 80+% of those with addition problems started by smoking (probably in their teens) and drinking, then basic drugs, pot, and it just escalates from there. It's not rocket science, this is what happens.
I got them from a homeless charity that made a presentation to a charitable foundation board that I sit on. They also told us that the majority of the homeless people they deal with became alcoholics/addicts after they became homeless. Depression and despair seems to do that.

How many people do you know that have 6 months worth of their salary handy? I don't mean in a 401k. I'm talking checking/savings/IMA. Paying for college alone is a nightmare for most families. Imagine losing your job while you have kids in college.
Old 12-29-17, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Red is an evil genious
Quote:
an evil genious
Quote:
genious
Old 12-29-17, 01:26 PM
All Yappi

I understand not having a lot of sympathy for people who created the situation in which they're homeless. However, there's far too high of a % of vets and mentally ill to make the sweeping generalization Red is making. It's not easy to comeback to civilian life when you spent 1 yr in Afghsnistan sleeping in a ditch with one eye open.
Old 12-29-17, 04:34 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Lotr thinks the media is inventing the homeless. Christ, what a loon.
Your lack of awareness is alarming e_p. It's well recognized that in the medias eyes homelessness is only a major problem worthy of extensive coverage during republican administrations.
Old 12-29-17, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Your lack of awareness is alarming e_p. It's well recognized that in the medias eyes homelessness is only a major problem worthy of extensive coverage during republican administrations.
Lol. Okay. It must suck living in your world of partisan conspiracies.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: