Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-03-18, 02:21 AM
Red Right 88 Red Right 88 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-11-14
Posts: 215
Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Everyone makes the playoffs in basketball, which is wrong and another thread altogether. I'd guess only half of the regular season games are interesting or contested. Attendance is good for those games but, in general, fans are saving the $6-$7 per ticket and waiting until about the third round of the tournament.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-03-18, 12:43 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 49,800
Yappi will become famous soon enough
This is a good example of attendance being lower than it should be:

Revere vs Nordonia


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-03-18, 02:27 PM
Qcity Qcity is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-31-08
Posts: 1,226
Qcity is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4ml View Post
Do they even teach/coach/preach that anymore??? Or how to box out instead of just go for the ball. Or how about the cardinal rule when I played - don't give up the baseline.... That one gripes me when I see all the guys giving up a baseline drive for an easy bucket...Or how about the cross court pass another cardinal rule not to do....TOO many fundamentals appear not to be taught anymore...
Ditto on all that; frustrating to watch today.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-03-18, 02:56 PM
Vike16 Vike16 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-08-15
Posts: 583
Vike16 is on a distinguished road
I know attendance is down through out the State. But you still have some schools who can pack the house between 2 good teams

Princeton vs Winton Woods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171231_134053.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2025  
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-03-18, 02:59 PM
Smalls Smalls is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Van down by the river
Posts: 478
Smalls is on a distinguished road
In the late 80's early 90's we played Tuesday/Friday every week and a Saturday every now and then. On the Saturday nights we didn't play most of our team and our dads went to whatever the big match up in town was.

This year my son's team has played;

1 Monday game
1 Tuesday game
4 Thursday games
1 Friday game
3 Saturday games

There is no rhyme or reason to the schedules and it makes it hard to get out and watch other teams play.

On top of that 5 of their 10 games have been televised live and are replayed throughout the week.

Also, many of the new gyms that are built are much bigger than the old gyms, with some exceptions.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-03-18 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-03-18, 04:01 PM
Baller Baller is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-01-01
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 745
Baller
I couldn't wait to watch Barberton vs Collinwood the other day.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-03-18, 05:28 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,074
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
D4 McDonald's side last night in the battle of unbeatens against D3 South Range. Photo taken from @Maluticlive twitter account

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-03-18, 09:56 PM
JUSTGOPLAY JUSTGOPLAY is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Posts: 975
JUSTGOPLAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4ml View Post
Do they even teach/coach/preach that anymore??? Or how to box out instead of just go for the ball. Or how about the cardinal rule when I played - don't give up the baseline.... That one gripes me when I see all the guys giving up a baseline drive for an easy bucket...Or how about the cross court pass another cardinal rule not to do....TOO many fundamentals appear not to be taught anymore...
In my opinion High School basketball, at least around Cincinnati has become too fundamental. All the teams from the top leagues play the same style. Everybody runs possession on offense, lock down defense, and treat every possession like it's gold. High School basketball needs a shot clock. Oak Hills beat LaSalle 36-31 the other night. Scores in the 40's are typical, especially when you're in league play. I say a 30 second shot clock would make for a better game to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-03-18, 09:59 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
In the late 80's early 90's we played Tuesday/Friday every week and a Saturday every now and then. On the Saturday nights we didn't play most of our team and our dads went to whatever the big match up in town was.

This year my son's team has played;

1 Monday game
1 Tuesday game
4 Thursday games
1 Friday game
3 Saturday games

There is no rhyme or reason to the schedules and it makes it hard to get out and watch other teams play.

On top of that 5 of their 10 games have been televised live and are replayed throughout the week.

Also, many of the new gyms that are built are much bigger than the old gyms, with some exceptions.
In Southwest Ohio it's all the same. Boys high school games are on Tuesdays and Fridays, with a few Saturdays mixed in. Junior high games are on Mondays and Wednesdays, then they switch to Tuesdays and Thursdays in the middle of January to accommodate the president's day and mlk holidays. I'm almost positive the girls side is organized similarly for the entire area as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-04-18, 11:28 AM
Myron Myron is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-01
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 1,449
Myron is on a distinguished road
The Princeton & Revere pics speak volumes to validat what many on this thread seem to be seeing. 1) Solid attendance at the inner-ring & parochial power games. 2) You have an affluent suburb, with a likely future-NBA player as it’s star, they are playing another suburban school, and the gym has the attendance of many Saturday afternoon girls games.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-04-18, 12:16 PM
COACH_XYZ&12345 COACH_XYZ&12345 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-23-15
Posts: 730
COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin2010 View Post
D4 McDonald's side last night in the battle of unbeatens against D3 South Range. Photo taken from @Maluticlive twitter account

With six rows of seating, one should expect a small school to fill it's bleachers up.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-04-18, 12:20 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
This is a good example of attendance being lower than it should be:

Revere vs Nordonia


We get more people in the stands for our junior high games lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-04-18, 09:41 PM
Justice Justice is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-05-17
Posts: 48
Justice is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
I think weather is a factor for the rural schools. I know I don't even want to drive 5 miles to the school on days like today. High temp of 10 for the day. Add age to that, my case, and it is much nicer to sit in front of the fireplace watching TV with one of the dogs on my lap.
I agree
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-04-18, 09:44 PM
Justice Justice is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-05-17
Posts: 48
Justice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOPLAY View Post
In my opinion High School basketball, at least around Cincinnati has become too fundamental. All the teams from the top leagues play the same style. Everybody runs possession on offense, lock down defense, and treat every possession like it's gold. High School basketball needs a shot clock. Oak Hills beat LaSalle 36-31 the other night. Scores in the 40's are typical, especially when you're in league play. I say a 30 second shot clock would make for a better game to watch.
The players would definitely agree with you.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-05-18, 01:17 AM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2,673
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
A few years ago, when Struthers had some really good teams there were decent crowds at the Fieldhouse.
So part of it is apathy and other forms of entertainment to keep people away.

Our gym was opened in 1950 and was remodeled a bit. A great place to play/watch.

But really difficult to get the 3,200 needed to fill it nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-05-18, 01:19 AM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2,673
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
With six rows of seating, one should expect a small school to fill it's bleachers up.
With McDonald's great tradition and fan support, I would say it's one of the better small school gyms. Definitely in NEO.

Fantastic atmosphere to watch a game.

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-05-18, 02:53 AM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,074
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
With six rows of seating, one should expect a small school to fill it's bleachers up.
Pedantic here but actually 9 rows, and sure, yet that picture from Revere the crowd would not fill it. And small schools also have much smaller communities and alumni to fill the stands.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-05-18, 07:47 PM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,872
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Bad coaching,kids attitude,controlling refs,a few reasons I don't watch HS ball anymore after almost seven decades.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-05-18, 08:15 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Hamilton vs Lakota West tonight. So so showing for two mediocre big school teams.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-05-18, 10:12 PM
Struthersfan Struthersfan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-20-11
Location: San Jacinto, California
Posts: 2,673
Struthersfan is on a distinguished road
Looks like a pretty nice gym there in Hamilton.

Not a bad crowd considering the weather in Ohio now.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-05-18, 10:15 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan View Post
Looks like a pretty nice gym there in Hamilton.

Not a bad crowd considering the weather in Ohio now.
It's one of the best in Cincinnati. As far as the weather it's just extremely cold. We got snow last weekend, but nothing but subzero temps now.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-06-18, 10:44 AM
JUSTGOPLAY JUSTGOPLAY is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Posts: 975
JUSTGOPLAY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Struthersfan6956544
Looks like a pretty nice gym there in Hamilton.

Not a bad crowd considering the weather in Ohio now.
Those pictures really don't do it justice....I have been up to Hamilton a couple of times for Districts, and really impressed with their setup. Place seats 4 or 5 thousand, great sight lines, easy to move around in. Top notch facility.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-06-18, 01:19 PM
Summa Summa is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-30-08
Posts: 1,853
Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGOPLAY View Post
Those pictures really don't do it justice....I have been up to Hamilton a couple of times for Districts, and really impressed with their setup. Place seats 4 or 5 thousand, great sight lines, easy to move around in. Top notch facility.
Very nice, but there is no way it seats 4,000 to 5,000. Capacity is 2,088.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-06-18, 01:21 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Very nice, but there is no way it seats 4,000 to 5,000. Capacity is 2,088.
Fairfield probably seats that many. That place is huge. Honestly it's too big for a high school gym in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-06-18, 03:30 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 713
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^
You better stay away from Indiana then.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-06-18, 04:51 PM
Gymschu Gymschu is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 09-09-16
Location: Peoli, OH
Posts: 18
Gymschu is on a distinguished road
I find it hard to watch HS basketball mainly because every school has that ONE FAN or that ONE GROUP OF FANS that are constantly on the officials, yelling at the kids from 10 rows up, etc. When I do go, I sit up high to avoid those type of fans. I just hate that people yell in such a personal way at the kids out on the floor who are giving it their all.........
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-07-18, 12:04 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,102
sehs
A lot of these points have been made already but:

The game is not as exciting at the HS level, it needs a shot clock to try to speed things up. One caveat here, I'm not sure how many teams do not trust or how many coaches are not comfortable with running a fun and gun style like Mentor does.

I also think high school basketball and college for that matter are stuck in between trends in the game. Pro basketball has moved toward a prevalence for outside shooting, especially from non-traditional positions. Most coaches I would think would rather have their 6'8 big man down on the post and without the years of polish to their jump shooting, it can make for some ugly basketball.

Scheduling sometimes baffles me. I wanted to watch what was supposed to be a good game between Cleveland Central Catholic and Lorain HS, it was played on a Tuesday night. CCC's opponent on that Friday was Trinity (CCC could be Trinity's Varsity with their JV easily) I know many league schedules are set in advance but I can't imagine why they wouldn't have changed that game for the gate alone. In this regard, Ed's and Ignatius have another upper hand because they play any day of the week and often Saturdays after their opponents played Friday. Not a huge advantage but it counts. To be fair, it can count against them too, this weekend Ed's played SVSM Friday night, Benedictine Saturday night and Shaker Heights in a Scholastic Play by Play.

I would also venture a guess that in the player's career experience, they are not as well-coached as they used to be. The way young players make their way from learning to play to organized high school basketball is vastly different. Garfield Heights has a point guard, he is on his 3rd school in 4 years. He is supremely talented but obviously doesn't feel loyal to any program or school. I think this probably mirrors (can't say for certain not knowing personal details but just general observations overall) his youth career where he tried out for several AAU teams and probably changed from one to another without giving it much thought. I think this differs greatly from generations past where you came up with your school team or whatever and essentially played with the same core group all the way through high school. When you did this, it was just natural to want to attend the high school games as a youngster, they should have been like rock stars in the community to those kids. And they would have wanted to add to that when their own time came. But I don't think it is like that anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-07-18, 12:06 AM
sehs sehs is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-07-03
Posts: 1,102
sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I find it hard to watch HS basketball mainly because every school has that ONE FAN or that ONE GROUP OF FANS that are constantly on the officials, yelling at the kids from 10 rows up, etc. When I do go, I sit up high to avoid those type of fans. I just hate that people yell in such a personal way at the kids out on the floor who are giving it their all.........
This is also frustrating and I feel like crowds don't do enough to shut these people up. I do not feel like it is the school's job to deal with it but I guess if the social norm now is not to give someone a dirty look or offend them by telling them to shut up and you are trying to enjoy the game then maybe there needs to be better crowd policies.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-07-18, 09:32 AM
ru4ml ru4ml is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-17-09
Posts: 76
ru4ml is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Right 88 View Post
Everyone makes the playoffs in basketball, which is wrong and another thread altogether. I'd guess only half of the regular season games are interesting or contested. Attendance is good for those games but, in general, fans are saving the $6-$7 per ticket and waiting until about the third round of the tournament.
I am a die hard Browns fan and by your name it looks like you are too.. Did you happen to go to the 0-16 parade yesterday?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-07-18, 09:35 AM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,318
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Last night's game between Middletown and Elder. Another incredible SWO gym, but as you can see, D1 or not, two sub .500 teams still isn't much of a draw, especially on a Saturday.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Promoting Girls Basketball? Yappi Girls Basketball 31 02-07-18 12:25 AM
OHSAA Basketball and Wrestling State Tournament Tickets Go On Sale January 26 Yappi Boys Basketball 0 12-20-17 02:27 PM
What Year Did Your Basketball Program Start? Blue Jay Fan Boys Basketball 9 12-07-17 12:44 PM
Barberton: A Coaching Legacy frecriss Barberton Magics 16 06-18-17 07:07 PM
Is Springfield Wildcats (Division I) Looking for a new Head Boys Basketball Coach??? IUDOGS Boys Basketball 7 05-23-17 10:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz