Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-21-17, 12:29 PM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Would you allow police to search your car?

Would you consent to a search if a police officer asked during a traffic stop? A friend of mine did and I told her she was crazy.

Of course, nothing found and she went on her way with a ticket for 73 in a 60. Not sure what the cop saw to ask, but shouldn't the answer always be no even if you are a law-abiding citizen?

If there was some serious reason, such as he saw a weapon or drug paraphernalia, then I think they don't have to ask. Not sure what fishing expedition he was on, but I'd want no part in it.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-17, 12:41 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'd ask why he felt the need to search, but I would likely comply as long as the cop was being reasonable and polite.
Old 12-21-17, 01:07 PM
All American

gneiss rocks is on a distinguished road
Give it up! The donut box is empty.
Old 12-21-17, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
I wouldn’t consent. What good could happen for you if you allow a search?
Old 12-21-17, 01:34 PM
All American

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
I would not ever consent.

It's not that I do not trust your average police officer, but I would be foolish to trust every police officer.
Old 12-21-17, 01:44 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
If I know I have nothing to hide, my first instinct is to say yes. Nowadays, I would amend that to add "and if I'm not carrying large sums of cash obtained legally"

Saw an interesting story recently about asset forfeiture, some guy with a Russian name who had $11,0000 in cash stashed in a compartment, he says it came from meeting someone who bought an expensive piece of audio equipment or instrument.

Not sure if he was stopped for speeding, or a sobriety checkpoint, but the cop asked permission to do the search, and he said yes, knowing he hadn't done anything wrong - and they siezed the money, I guess because it "looked suspicious", and because they could. At the time the story was written, he hadn't gotten his money back yet.
Old 12-21-17, 01:54 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
No.

I have another one for you. If you pulled up to a DUI checkpoint would you offer to blow even though you were 100% sober? For the record I detest drunk driving and drunk drivers, especially in today's age of Uber/Lyft and ridesharing but you need probably cause. Simply driving down the road is not probable cause.
Old 12-21-17, 01:58 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I wouldnít consent. What good could happen for you if you allow a search?
Agreed. I don't think you're getting a prize if they find nothing
Old 12-21-17, 02:11 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
No.

I have another one for you. If you pulled up to a DUI checkpoint would you offer to blow even though you were 100% sober? For the record I detest drunk driving and drunk drivers, especially in today's age of Uber/Lyft and ridesharing but you need probably cause. Simply driving down the road is not probable cause.
Well, a "blow" is basically a search. Same issues.

One problem I see is that in this issue of revenue generation, cops in some areas are taught by their departments to ring you up for every little thing. Don't they say there is detectable drug residue on 90% of the cash in circulation? Cha-ching - pay a fine or go to jail - or both.

Saw another article about some cop in Arizona or New Mexico, he was honored for something like 60 arrests for suspected OVI due to marijuana.

Trouble is, he's basing an arrest on whether a person is tired, has red eyes, and doesn't move with lightning quickness. On the police cams, you can hear him say, "Ma'am, I'm trained and certified to detect when a person is drivning under the influence of marijuana with a very high degree of accuracy" - all without a blood test.

Two people arrested by him had blood tests done immediately to prove they had no THC in their systems, and the charges were thrown out - but the department issued a statement saying, "We believe out guy, and obviously in these cases, the marijuana metabolized out the suspects' systems before the blood test could be done."

That's when you know it's only about revenue generation.
Old 12-21-17, 03:33 PM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wouldnít consent. What good could happen for you if you allow a search?
They bring the dog out and he hits on a command that the officer gives. Now they can search your car and tear it up.
Old 12-21-17, 03:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
No.

They don't need probable cause. The Supreme Court ruled that the "intrusion on individual liberties does not violate a person's fourth amendment protection." Ultimately it now falls on each state to determine the constitutionality of DUI checkpoints.
Old 12-21-17, 03:42 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Well, a "blow" is basically a search. Same issues.

One problem I see is that in this issue of revenue generation, cops in some areas are taught by their departments to ring you up for every little thing. Don't they say there is detectable drug residue on 90% of the cash in circulation? Cha-ching - pay a fine or go to jail - or both.

Saw another article about some cop in Arizona or New Mexico, he was honored for something like 60 arrests for suspected OVI due to marijuana.

Trouble is, he's basing an arrest on whether a person is tired, has red eyes, and doesn't move with lightning quickness. On the police cams, you can hear him say, "Ma'am, I'm trained and certified to detect when a person is drivning under the influence of marijuana with a very high degree of accuracy" - all without a blood test.

Two people arrested by him had blood tests done immediately to prove they had no THC in their systems, and the charges were thrown out - but the department issued a statement saying, "We believe out guy, and obviously in these cases, the marijuana metabolized out the suspects' systems before the blood test could be done."

That's when you know it's only about revenue generation.
You're thinking of Georgia.
Old 12-21-17, 04:52 PM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Nope but I'm guessing your friend had prior 69(drug) activity before or came from a known drug area.

If a cop asked for consent, that means he has no probably cause to search. Also means he is not getting a k9.

I get pulled over a lot on 33 in my girlfriends Mercedes since it has Kentucky plates and I'm a cop lol
Old 12-21-17, 05:21 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider6309 View Post
Nope but I'm guessing your friend had prior 69(drug) activity before or came from a known drug area.

If a cop asked for consent, that means he has no probably cause to search. Also means he is not getting a k9.

I get pulled over a lot on 33 in my girlfriends Mercedes since it has Kentucky plates and I'm a cop lol
He won't get a k9 if you don't give him consent?

I would say no.
Old 12-21-17, 05:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
They bring the dog out and he hits on a command that the officer gives. Now they can search your car and tear it up.
Lol, okay.
Old 12-21-17, 06:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Lol, okay.

Lot of videos online where the person said no and the cops called the K-9 unit. Sure enough the dog gets a hit on the car and they tear it apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-17, 09:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Lot of videos online where the person said no and the cops called the K-9 unit. Sure enough the dog gets a hit on the car and they tear it apart

Lol, okay. Iím not worried.
Old 12-21-17, 09:30 PM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I'd still say no. And in this case, no clear reason was given for the request and there is no history on the person in question here. Pure random "cop intuition" that was just off the mark.
Old 12-21-17, 10:55 PM
All Ohio

domi is on a distinguished road
Should I give consent? Absolutely not.
Would I give consent? A lot fuzzier answer.

If I'm pulled over in a area that I don't go through frequently I would not give consent. If the police want to get a dog go ahead but I'm not going to make it easy on them even though I don't have anything illegal.

If I'm around where I live I would probaly go ahead and say yes. I have a basic two seat truck so it would/should be a quick search but more importantly to me it's a small town (Grandview) and the police here have long memories. I don't want to get pulled over for going 27 in a 25 when I'm headed to the range with a couple guns and 500 rounds of ammo because someone remembered I didn't give consent to search my truck and now I have to explain guns and ammo in my truck even though I'm legal.
Old 12-21-17, 11:27 PM
All Yappi

the_big_toe will become famous soon enough
Quote:

You forgot the ending - the cops actually DO find what the dog alerted to.
Old 12-21-17, 11:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
You forgot the ending - the cops actually DO find what the dog alerted to.

Actually Iíve seen several where they donít

Old 12-21-17, 11:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
No.

I don't think that is how DUI checkpoints work. I don't think they ask every driver that goes through the checkpoint to take a breathalyzer. I think they ask to see license, registration, and proof of insurance. While they check those, they are looking for tell-tale signs that would establish probable cause for them to ask for a breathalyzer (e.g. is your speech slurred, when you talk to them can they smell it on your breath, are you attentive and responsive to their requests, etc).

Someone who has been through one can correct me if I am wrong.

Interestingly, I was coming home from work late one evening, and I almost wound up going through one, but my route home had me take the last left turn possible before going through the checkpoint. As I made that turn, I wondered if they thought I was purposely avoiding the checkpoint (I wasn't, as I had given up drinking several years before).
Old 12-21-17, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

FWIW, I would never consent to a search. I probably would have before going to law school, but not now. Also, keep asking if you are being detained. You can be detained for only a reasonable amount of time if they are going to do something like try to bring a canine unit out to sniff your vehicle.

Also, if you ever do get arrested, do NOT speak to the police without your attorney present. The police may try to tell you that things will go easier if you don't get a lawyer - do NOT believe them. Even if you are as innocent as the day is long, anything you want to tell them before your lawyer shows up, if it is a good idea, you can still tell them AFTER talking to your lawyer about it.
Old 12-22-17, 07:43 AM
All American

4cards will become famous soon enough
...years ago my gf and I went up to see Niagara Falls & coming back from the Canadian side, we went through customs where they ask the normal questions are you an American citizen? (yes), what were you doing in Canada? (see the Falls and have dinner)...etc.) and after answering all their questions they told me to pull over and get out of the car. My first question to them was why and they then surrounded my car with like 6 agents who were hell bent on tearing my car apart and told me if I didn't comply I would be arrested.
Well, they searched it and things were going pretty good until this one POS pulled my golf clubs out of the trunk and dumped them on the pavement. I got pissed as hell because they were brand new and hit them only once I told him they were new and asked what his F'ng problem was. Things escalated then and they pulled me over to an area and frisked me all the while I kept saying I didn't do anything and that they had no reason to destroy my stuff. They then made my gf, dump here purse and were going to pat her down until I said they couldn't if there wasn't a female custom agent to do it, so they backed off from that. To bring the story to a conclusion, they found nothing and told me I could leave. When I looked back at my car...the back seats were out of the car, my clubs were sprawled out in the parking lot and I said I'm not going anywhere until you azzzholes put everything back just the way it was. They said no that it was my responsibility and I said I wanted to speak with the supervisor and that I was going to call my lawyer in Ohio. About an hour later, some fatass supervisor came over and said he would get things taken care of..which they did.

I will never consent to a voluntary search.
Old 12-22-17, 08:38 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Actually Iíve seen several where they donít

I am sure that people posting videos on youtube never edit the videos to show themselves in the best possible light, or to show police officers in the worst possible light.
Old 12-22-17, 09:12 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
I am sure that people posting videos on youtube never edit the videos to show themselves in the best possible light, or to show police officers in the worst possible light.

Youíre not a cynic huh

Old 12-22-17, 09:32 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
I would, I have nothing to hide. And even if I did have something to hide, I'd still them search. It's complying with a request from a police officer. You can comply the easy way, or the hard way.
Old 12-22-17, 09:35 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Sounds about right
Old 12-22-17, 09:41 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
No surprise 14red would make the worst possible decision for himself
Old 12-22-17, 10:42 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Before I let them search without a warrant, I might ask them why and what they are looking for? Their answer would probably help me decide whether I want to give the go ahead or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: