Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Rate the movie "Star Wars: The Last Jedi"
10 2 10.53%
9 4 21.05%
8 3 15.79%
7 5 26.32%
6 1 5.26%
5 0 0%
4 1 5.26%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-17, 02:08 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 47,564
Yappi will become famous soon enough
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

Rate and review the movie "Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-15-17, 02:26 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,072
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Fantastic movie and I believe sets forth a great, fresh future of the franchise
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-17, 03:19 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
^ - Glad to hear. Cannot wait to see it once all the hoopla dies down a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-17, 08:18 AM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

Definitely don't go in with any expectations. To quote Luke: "this isn't going to go the way you think."

It's the least predictable Star Wars movie made to date.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-17, 07:08 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 4,534
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Great film. Enjoyed it more than TFA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-17, 08:29 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
It's Star Wars. It is like pizza at this point; tough to screw up.

They could have broke this into two movies. Too many plot twists. And although it is "fantasy" I believe George Lucas tried to cover his bases on realistic principals (think gravity in space). IMO do not overthink it. The original got poor reviews because it was predictable and had the hero, the anti-hero, etc but that is what people like.

With that said, I was a tad disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-17, 09:03 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,477
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Go Darkside
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-17, 01:23 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: Rayen Stadium
Posts: 9,457
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Find a theater with the leather recliners......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-17, 07:17 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
Curious what lotr thought since he had issues with The Force Awakens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-26-17, 03:30 PM
Raider6309 Raider6309 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-12-15
Location: Athens
Posts: 1,477
Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
I thought it was bad
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-26-17, 07:28 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
SPOILER ALERT...














































There is no gravity in space (bombing a star destroyer). People do not survive in space. Force or not. Way too many plot twists. Why make Luke a complete bit$ch? Kylo redeems himself only to fall from grace seconds later? They had multiple opportunities to write off Leia (like when she is floating in open space).

Like I said, it is like pizza, tough to screw up but they botched this a bit. Keep it simple stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-26-17, 09:35 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
SPOILER ALERT...














































There is no gravity in space (bombing a star destroyer). People do not survive in space. Force or not. Way too many plot twists. Why make Luke a complete bit$ch? Kylo redeems himself only to fall from grace seconds later? They had multiple opportunities to write off Leia (like when she is floating in open space).

Like I said, it is like pizza, tough to screw up but they botched this a bit. Keep it simple stupid.


I agree with the director's comments. To kill off Leia there would have been a huge disservice to the character, and Carrie Fisher. It would have been the easy way out, sure, but I think it would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-27-17, 11:42 AM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,859
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
SPOILER ALERT...

There is no gravity in space (bombing a star destroyer). People do not survive in space. Force or not. Way too many plot twists. Why make Luke a complete bit$ch? Kylo redeems himself only to fall from grace seconds later? They had multiple opportunities to write off Leia (like when she is floating in open space).

Like I said, it is like pizza, tough to screw up but they botched this a bit. Keep it simple stupid.
I think its funny when people complain about the factual and scientific inaccuracies of a science fiction movie like this. If you wanted it to be scientific and factually accurate, A New Hope would have never been made in the first place.

It's just a movie folks (and a pretty good one at that). Let's not lose our heads over it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-17, 08:13 AM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 11,823
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
It's called science fiction for a reason.


Saw it last night...very good movie.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-17, 12:27 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,125
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Pretty terrible. Only movie I’ve seen that’s worse that past few years is Geostorm.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-28-17, 12:33 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,125
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
I agree with the director's comments. To kill off Leia there would have been a huge disservice to the character, and Carrie Fisher. It would have been the easy way out, sure, but I think it would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
It was corny and stupid. Shouldn’t have been written to begin with.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-28-17, 12:37 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 34,125
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Definitely don't go in with any expectations. To quote Luke: "this isn't going to go the way you think."

It's the least predictable Star Wars movie made to date.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? It was extremely predictable. What about it took you by surprise?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-28-17, 01:57 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
What? It was extremely predictable. What about it took you by surprise?


What about it wasn't for you? It's pretty universally considered the most different Star Wars movie to date. The controversy is whether you like those changes or not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-28-17, 03:08 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,859
winbypin is on a distinguished road
People didn't like force awakens because it was too much like a new hope. Last Jedi isn't a whole lot like any of the others and the same people don't like it either. Ok. Can't win I guess.

I thought it was really good. I will be seeing it again soon. I bet I will still enjoy it.

I think a lot of the issues are a lot of people had something totally different in their heads. Like they wrote a script in their minds and when it didn't go the way they wanted it to, they were upset. I understand you were hoping to see this or that and you didn't....but doesn't mean it still wasn't entertaining. Which it was.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-17, 05:54 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 15,905
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
About a 6
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-28-17, 07:29 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
I think its funny when people complain about the factual and scientific inaccuracies of a science fiction movie like this. If you wanted it to be scientific and factually accurate, A New Hope would have never been made in the first place.

It's just a movie folks (and a pretty good one at that). Let's not lose our heads over it.
It wasn't good. Period. People, like myself, watch because it is Star Wars.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-28-17, 07:31 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish82 View Post
It's called science fiction for a reason.


Saw it last night...very good movie.
Henny Youngman has spoken. Lucas went out of his way to develop a sense of authenticity (with the 1st 3). Parsecs, although used in the wrong context, was a believable measurement.

Dropping anything in space makes even a mildly intelligent 6 year old scratch his head. I'm sorry you are not there yet.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-28-17, 07:36 PM
irish_buffalo irish_buffalo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Posts: 3,354
irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
I agree with the director's comments. To kill off Leia there would have been a huge disservice to the character, and Carrie Fisher. It would have been the easy way out, sure, but I think it would have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.
So having a novice use The Force to revive herself in open space and float back to the craft unscathed was better? Lol.

There is a reason the previous movies, even with junk like Jar Jar Binks did not have gravity in space and have someone survive being exposed to open space. Good Sci-Fi explains its way around it. Bad Sci-Fi says shut up its Sci-Fi.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-28-17, 07:43 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 22,275
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Curious what lotr thought since he had issues with The Force Awakens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry to disappoint you but I have no intention of seeing it in a theater. The FA was so bad IMO that I couldn't care less what happens to folks who I was bludgeoned with in the last one of these. Now as an aside I did enjoy Rogue One but the main series is dead to me.

I'll just have to be content watching excellent movies like The Darkest Hour in theaters.

I do want to comment on the debate about the accuracy of the "science" in Star Wars. Of course it's completely wrong but that doesn't bother me. As long as the story is good, the effects great and the acting solid I can forgive pretty much any science errors in Sci-Fi & Fantasy movies. As others have pointed out it is Science Fiction.

The problem with the Star Wars series since the closing credits on The Empire Strikes Back is that it's terrible Science Fiction. The energy of the 1st Star Wars followed by the majesty of the 2nd one has been eclipsed by the last 6 episodes (Rogue One not included). From being childish toy factories (ROTJ, & the Prequels) to the social justice warrior fantasies and tired retread of the Force Awakens the series is no longer even good Science Fiction.

But in all things involving entertainment - to each their own.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-28-17, 08:02 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
People didn't like force awakens because it was too much like a new hope. Last Jedi isn't a whole lot like any of the others and the same people don't like it either. Ok. Can't win I guess.



I thought it was really good. I will be seeing it again soon. I bet I will still enjoy it.



I think a lot of the issues are a lot of people had something totally different in their heads. Like they wrote a script in their minds and when it didn't go the way they wanted it to, they were upset. I understand you were hoping to see this or that and you didn't....but doesn't mean it still wasn't entertaining. Which it was.


That is mostly what I've seen as well. Those who didn't like it are the ones who went in with what they expected to happen and couldn't come to grips when it didn't happen.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-28-17, 08:05 PM
PantherProud's Avatar
PantherProud PantherProud is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-08-01
Posts: 14,900
PantherProud
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
So having a novice use The Force to revive herself in open space and float back to the craft unscathed was better? Lol.



There is a reason the previous movies, even with junk like Jar Jar Binks did not have gravity in space and have someone survive being exposed to open space. Good Sci-Fi explains its way around it. Bad Sci-Fi says shut up its Sci-Fi.


Naive to assume Leia was a novice. She knew she had Skywalker genes and the ability to use the force for 30 years. This was just the first time we saw her use it (aside from the end of Empire Strikes Back).

It's well within reason to think she learned some skills along the way. Especially since her brother and son were the two strongest force users known in the galaxy at the time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-28-17, 09:28 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,859
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Henny Youngman has spoken. Lucas went out of his way to develop a sense of authenticity (with the 1st 3). Parsecs, although used in the wrong context, was a believable measurement.

Dropping anything in space makes even a mildly intelligent 6 year old scratch his head. I'm sorry you are not there yet.
Didn't Lucas have tie fighters dropping bombs on asteroids in ESB? An asteroid that had a living and breathing creature in/on it?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-28-17, 09:33 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,859
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Naive to assume Leia was a novice. She knew she had Skywalker genes and the ability to use the force for 30 years. This was just the first time we saw her use it (aside from the end of Empire Strikes Back).

It's well within reason to think she learned some skills along the way. Especially since her brother and son were the two strongest force users known in the galaxy at the time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even if she was a novice we know the force is capable of conceiving life (her dad in fact). Don't see why it's a stretch for the force, who is very strong in her family, to save her.

And I agree....we don't know what level of mastery she has with the force. It might have even been something that was going to be explored in E9 but can't now for obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-28-17, 09:35 PM
winbypin winbypin is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-12-06
Posts: 7,859
winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
It wasn't good. Period. People, like myself, watch because it is Star Wars.
Just say you didn't like it. I thought it was really good.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-28-17, 10:04 PM
fish82 fish82 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-16-05
Location: Secure
Posts: 11,823
fish82 will become famous soon enoughfish82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Henny Youngman has spoken. Lucas went out of his way to develop a sense of authenticity (with the 1st 3). Parsecs, although used in the wrong context, was a believable measurement.

Dropping anything in space makes even a mildly intelligent 6 year old scratch his head. I'm sorry you are not there yet.

No shortage of sites and articles out there explaining how the bombers work, for those of you who struggle with science fiction.

But hey, carry on getting your panties twisted over a movie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is all dressing up to watch Star Wars... Username1 General Board 20 12-21-17 02:46 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz