Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-26-17, 01:42 PM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Hence the word "not".
Sorry Smalls....meant to quote the original post that said it was a hostile environment
Old 12-26-17, 03:34 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
No problem. I kinda figured that was the case.
Old 12-28-17, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

cchs1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dominating 4th quarter for Central Catholic tonight as they defeat Cardinal Stritch by 13, I believe the Irish held the Cardinals without a FG in the 4th quarter. Kudos to the 5 football players coach Hunt rode during the last stanza. I watched CS about six times last year, all wins so this is my first time watching CS lose and that coach was a hot mess, he’s Ed’s replacement for sideline behavior....
Old 12-29-17, 08:59 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Stritch needed a game like this for that very reason cchs1983. Five football players who more than likely have something close to 85% win percentage since becoming Irish student athletes in all sports.

Physicality and learning HOW to win rather than winning because superior most nights. Most nights, Stritch's opponents will roll over as their league does not have anyone close to matching up 7-8 deep. I was not there last and did not see the game but Stritch needs to play CCHS/Whitmer/SJ/SF if they want to get better. Especially because the TRAC teams hold, grab, physically pick & foul, and will not back down like games get called come playoff time. There is no doubt in my mind they will get there.
Old 12-29-17, 11:20 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Stritch needed a game like this for that very reason cchs1983. Five football players who more than likely have something close to 85% win percentage since becoming Irish student athletes in all sports.

Physicality and learning HOW to win rather than winning because superior most nights. Most nights, Stritch's opponents will roll over as their league does not have anyone close to matching up 7-8 deep. I was not there last and did not see the game but Stritch needs to play CCHS/Whitmer/SJ/SF if they want to get better. Especially because the TRAC teams hold, grab, physically pick & foul, and will not back down like games get called come playoff time. There is no doubt in my mind they will get there.
Good stuff IB, agree on all comments which honestly concern me as I find myself agreeing with you way to much lately, hopefully that will pass.
I must comment on the Holifield kid, as much young talent that NW Ohio has right now at the TRAC schools, MVCD, Genoa and others, the Holifield kid is the real deal, silky smooth, very little wasted motion, catch and shoot as well as pull up off the dribble, everything he does is on point and savvy for a kid his age, he is worth the price of admission, he has TRAC talent playing in the TAAC
Old 12-29-17, 07:13 PM
All Region

buccaneers2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Dominating 4th quarter for Central Catholic tonight as they defeat Cardinal Stritch by 13, I believe the Irish held the Cardinals without a FG in the 4th quarter. Kudos to the 5 football players coach Hunt rode during the last stanza. I watched CS about six times last year, all wins so this is my first time watching CS lose and that coach was a hot mess, heís Edís replacement for sideline behavior....
So one of the worst Central Catholic teams in recent memory (although they seem a bit improved this season) defeats the greatest Cardinal Stritch team in program history by double digits...got it. Holifield could have been a nice addition to the Irish starting lineup, too bad but he seems to be having fun in the TAAC.
Old 12-29-17, 08:12 PM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneers2002 View Post
So one of the worst Central Catholic teams in recent memory (although they seem a bit improved this season) defeats the greatest Cardinal Stritch team in program history by double digits...got it. Holifield could have been a nice addition to the Irish starting lineup, too bad but he seems to be having fun in the TAAC.
WTF are you talking about?
Old 12-29-17, 08:52 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Stritch is a good team who did not play their best this weekend (both games) for whatever reason. Central banked a couple 3s to stay in the game early, Stritch led most of the game and Central didn't take the lead for good until the 4:00 mark of the 4th.

Central is 5-1, play very good physical defense that will keep them in a lot of games.

Any best Stritch team conversation would include teams with names like Herman, Patterson or Gadjastic. Sorry for the spelling.

Last edited by Smalls; 12-30-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-29-17, 09:54 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchs1983 View Post
Good stuff IB, agree on all comments which honestly concern me as I find myself agreeing with you way to much lately, hopefully that will pass.
I must comment on the Holifield kid, as much young talent that NW Ohio has right now at the TRAC schools, MVCD, Genoa and others, the Holifield kid is the real deal, silky smooth, very little wasted motion, catch and shoot as well as pull up off the dribble, everything he does is on point and savvy for a kid his age, he is worth the price of admission, he has TRAC talent playing in the TAAC
Genoa?
Old 12-29-17, 09:58 PM
All Ohio

Plantz and Bench are both juniors and 2 of the better players in the NBC
Old 12-30-17, 08:54 AM
All Yappi

They run out of Rightnenowers? Scoreboard shows Plantz had a good game against AW. I don't see them on Waite's schedule so I guess I won't see them this year. We don't have much of anyone on our schedule, other than first game against Southview and of course, Clay. Might try to get to some TRAC games.

Could make a pretty good schedule with teams coached by Eastsiders, not sure why we have Detroit and Cleveland and Dayton and Zion wherever that is, on the schedule and IB makes a good point about the River East.
Old 12-30-17, 10:48 AM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
eastisbest,

I enjoy the levity you bring to the boards, but you are way off base here. I have no program. I root for all the kids in the area to fulfill their true potential. Plantz and Holifield are a couple I am high on, and the last thing I will ever be is a hater. Especially of a kid.

I have a couple of friends that ref, have spent a lot of time around the game and spent 9 years coaching in another life(and city). So that is my background.

There is no cowardice in my comments, I'm just calling it like I see it on the screen or in the gym. I don't know the coach, never met him and don't expect to be able to share my thoughts with him. I also can't imagine anyone would take my off the cuff comments as some sort of negative recruiting. Or maybe there are a number of 8th graders logged in here taking advice from randoms on their futures. I think not.

As far as I can tell, you are the one who is upset. I'm just calling the game like i see it. A couple of questions, so we can talk hoops:

How would you combat a box and one?

Would you use inbounds pressure in a diamond press?
To beat a box and one you either go 1-3-1 with cuts or run a motion offense.
Diamond inbounds pressure can be soft just to disrupts or to trap aggressively on first pass.
Old 12-30-17, 10:58 AM
Varsity

Go on break and all hell breaks loose.

It's a matter of style and coaching philosophies. Is it the coaches job to help players get better or put them in positions to be role players so one or two can shine.

A Coach told me he doesn't believe kids should have positions, but taught how to do all skills to make them a better player and team. The more threats you have the harder you are to guard ala Golden State.

CS does a great job of using what they have. In my opinion Holified is the best guard in the TAAC not even close. The kids is patience unflappable and efficient. Does not take bad shots and can rebound and defend. He and a I would say Woodley are legit D1 talents playing at D4 and D3 schools. The kid Coleman (freshman) is one of the best athletes in the league (Cummings)

Next Saturday at Stritch vs MVCDS should be covered by bcsn.
Old 01-02-18, 10:34 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
Some teams have a variety of scorers, but it is a result of calling the same play and just inserting a different guy to take the same shot from the same location over and over. This is easy to scout and take away by even average teams.

I would argue that every team’s base offense should be a motion offense. The focus should be on moving the ball, limiting the dribble, spreading the defense, keeping everyone moving and having multiple players score from several spots on the floor. It allows the offense to start immediately when you cross half court, doesn’t give the defense a chance to dig in, makes the offense unpredictable, a poor defender can’t be hidden on players who are not involved in the offense and you will get better effort from everyone on the floor. It is also a lot harder to play help side defense against players and a ball that are always in motion.

When there is a mismatch teams can then go to their “specials” the isolation/dribble drive etc.…..but over dribbling should not be part of a base offense.

By the way what happended to the weather?

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 01-02-18 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-03-18, 08:48 AM
All District

Blade Poll

D3
Stritch
Woodmore
Archbold
Genoa
Oak Harbor

Archbold has an argument to be #1, with close losses to 2 of the better teams in the region regardless of division (Wauseon and Ottawa Glandorf) and having everyone back from a state final 4 team. Stritch passes the eye test and have a good wins vs Toledo Christian and Cornerstone Christian, who is one of the favorites to make it to the final 4 in D4.

D4
Toledo Christian
Maumee Valley Country Day
Pettisville
North Baltimore
Fayette

D4 looks about right to me.

Big TAAC games Friday MVCDS at Stritch and Toledo Christian at Ottawa Hills.
Old 01-03-18, 09:45 AM
All Ohio

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
Blade Poll

D3
Stritch
Woodmore
Archbold
Genoa
Oak Harbor

Archbold has an argument to be #1, with close losses to 2 of the better teams in the region regardless of division (Wauseon and Ottawa Glandorf) and having everyone back from a state final 4 team. Stritch passes the eye test and have a good wins vs Toledo Christian and Cornerstone Christian, who is one of the favorites to make it to the final 4 in D4.

D4
Toledo Christian
Maumee Valley Country Day
Pettisville
North Baltimore
Fayette

D4 looks about right to me.

Big TAAC games Friday MVCDS at Stritch and Toledo Christian at Ottawa Hills.
And people thing the college football playoff committee is a mess. Archbold behind Woodmore? C'mon folks...nobody in their right mind could make that argument with a straight face
Old 01-03-18, 05:19 PM
Freshman

T-town is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Palace View Post
Some teams have a variety of scorers, but it is a result of calling the same play and just inserting a different guy to take the same shot from the same location over and over. This is easy to scout and take away by even average teams.

I would argue that every teamís base offense should be a motion offense. The focus should be on moving the ball, limiting the dribble, spreading the defense, keeping everyone moving and having multiple players score from several spots on the floor. It allows the offense to start immediately when you cross half court, doesnít give the defense a chance to dig in, makes the offense unpredictable, a poor defender canít be hidden on players who are not involved in the offense and you will get better effort from everyone on the floor. It is also a lot harder to play help side defense against players and a ball that are always in motion.

When there is a mismatch teams can then go to their ďspecialsĒ the isolation/dribble drive etc.Ö..but over dribbling should not be part of a base offense.

By the way what happended to the weather?
Agreed, everyone should have a motion or continuity offense, with options to take advantage of mismatches. Some coaches don't believe in them. The results speak for themselves for those teams.

BTW the link provided Wow. Also rumor has it MV lost Kynard before big match up against CS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-18, 12:02 PM
Varsity

EhoopsOhio does a decent job of covering the City and most games. Found this thread interesting. If Kynard is gone, have a hard time thinking MV has the depth at guard to beat CS, TC or make a run. Senior guards are crucial to runs in tournament. #experience

https://ehoopsohio.com/2017/12/21/ma...feats-bowsher/
Old 01-04-18, 03:17 PM
Freshman

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Kynard was on the bench for the first half of the Fayette game but didn't play. Nowhere to be seen in the second half. Didn't know if he was hurt, sick, or whatever.
Old 01-04-18, 03:37 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1nwobb View Post
Kynard was on the bench for the first half of the Fayette game but didn't play. Nowhere to be seen in the second half. Didn't know if he was hurt, sick, or whatever.
Coaches decision not to play him and not start Woodley. He left at halftime. Kid can play no idea what's going on over there. He didn't start a single game and Woodley has.only started 3 games this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-18, 03:32 PM
All District

Should be a good game tonight. It is a shame Kynard isn't playing.

Last year foul trouble hurt MVCDS. Jackson fouled out in the 3rd quarter of the 1st game and if I remember right Woodley was in foul trouble the 2nd game.

90% of both teams are back. The game will be decided by who plays better defense.
Old 01-05-18, 11:18 PM
Varsity

Cardinal Stritch beats MVCDS 69-58 Burton and Woodley lead each team with 17 points
Coach K said certain players get the hype but others are just as good or better.

If you haven't watched the game CS plays a team smart, shares the ball and cohesiveness is evident. Holifield scored 15 and Jackson 16, how they got those numbers couldn't be more different. Holifield played within the confines of the team and scored and Jackson just jacked bad shot after bad shot under pressure and ill timing.

It has to be coaching for teams to come out and play so drastically different. Just like TC and OH games CS doubled and pressured Jackson and MV had no answer other than force ball to Jackson who in turn would force shot instead of creating for others consistently. MVCDS has weapons like Jett, Coleman and Woodley who btw scored 17 on 10 shots. CS had 3 players in double figures but a total of 8 players score. Burton nearly had a triple double 17pts 10 assist and 8 rebounds.

CS is not losing a TAAC game this year team and Coaching will be the difference in every game.

http://www.toledoblade.com/High-Scho...ee-Valley.html
Old 01-06-18, 11:34 AM
Freshman

Tom Cole and Brad Woznicki did a great job commenting on the game. Tom Cole was dead on about his assessment of the game CS played team ball and MVCDS has to teach Jackson how to play team ball and share. Jett and Woodley can play.

The difference between the two schools is Coach K holds his players accountable in a constructive way, Burton, Holifield, Little all welcome it from him. MV holds no one accountable for shots, turnovers bad passes. The language I heard from the MV coaches toward players is unacceptable in high school.
Old 01-06-18, 02:48 PM
Freshman

deepstate is on a distinguished road
There is more than coaching differences between the two schools. Stritch has a program and MVCD has a couple decent players at the varsity level only that can't play as a team. The language in the stands is not much better than the coaches on the MVCD side off the gym. Respect lacking on the court and it starts with the parents and fans in the stands that were repeatedly politely asked by the PA announcer to remove their hats during the prayer and national anthem but cursed and refused. Announcer waited a good 30 seconds with the entire gym in silence looking at them to show respect. Lost count at 11 that I could see. MVCD is 1-6 against Stritch in the last 7 meetings. It's over hyped match up. Most of the games have been one sided.
Old 01-08-18, 10:41 AM
All District

http://davey1.com/Schedules/LeagueStandings.pdf

Toledo Area Athletic Conference
Cardinal Stritch 10 - 1 5 - 0
Toledo Christian 9 - 1 5 - 1
Maumee Valley Country Day 6 - 3 4 - 2
Ottawa Hills 4 - 4 2 - 3
Gibsonburg 2 - 5 1 - 2
Danbury 3 - 4 1 - 3
Northwood 1 - 8 1 - 4
Emmanuel Christian 3 - 5 0 - 4

Winner of the league probably ends up with 0 or 1 loss, but MVCDS still has a chance.
Old 01-08-18, 03:13 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
Genoa?
You can see a lot of Genoa games recorded on Toledo Sports Network. Plantz and Bench can play. Strong physical kids. Eastwood game is worth watching if you are bored, or not.

http://www.toledosportsnetwork.com/
Old 01-08-18, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Thanks! Very East Sidish. Kind of a sports version of the The Press.
Old 01-09-18, 03:53 PM
All Ohio

I finally got a chance to watch Stritch vs MVCD and CS played really well and with much more effort than MV. Jackson reminds me of Eric Newsone, Rogers 1983, as a dynamic offensive player, however I wouldn’t want to be his teammate or coach him. MV jogs a lot, takes terrible shots without consequences and has almost no rotation on defense. I always wondered when elite players like Holifield and Jackson choose a league below their basketball talent, seems to be working for Holifield more than Jackson.
Old 01-09-18, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

where did you watch that one?
Old 01-09-18, 07:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
where did you watch that one?
bcsn