Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-12-17, 09:31 AM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
In my eyes Cardinal Stritch vs a healthy Maumee Valley is a toss up.

Last edited by Cardboard Palace; 12-12-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-15-17, 08:09 AM
Freshman

T-town is on a distinguished road
Watched the MVCDS vs Northwood game on BCSN.

Can anyone tell me why Kynard and Woodley aren't starting?
Old 12-15-17, 08:32 AM
Freshman

I watched Cardinal Stritch vs. Erie Mason and MVCDS vs Northwood. I believe MV definitely has an comparable if not better talent. Subtly differences, CS actually runs sets for their best player and are way more organized and share the ball.

MV looked disjointed they ran no sets for biggest mismatch on the floor Woodley. Jackson gets all his points off dribble action not ball movement or people action. Ball moved effectively once in game when Jett and Kynard ran point.

Talent being equal the difference will be coaching and Kachmirak's is better than what MV has.
Old 12-15-17, 03:58 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-town View Post
I watched Cardinal Stritch vs. Erie Mason and MVCDS vs Northwood. I believe MV definitely has an comparable if not better talent. Subtly differences, CS actually runs sets for their best player and are way more organized and share the ball.

MV looked disjointed they ran no sets for biggest mismatch on the floor Woodley. Jackson gets all his points off dribble action not ball movement or people action. Ball moved effectively once in game when Jett and Kynard ran point.

Talent being equal the difference will be coaching and Kachmirak's is better than what MV has.
Using Northwood and Erie Mason for any sort of baseline for comparison may be a bit of a stretch. I couldn't think of two teams that are more different. Erie Mason has some solid experienced players that are very well coached and extremely disciplined.

Northwood has some talent and athleticism, but all those kids just seem to do their own thing most of the time.

I just don't think you could use those two teams to compare MVCDS and CSCHS in any way. It's clear MVCDS has way more skill than Northwood but that game looked like an intramural game between the athletic department and the math department.
Old 12-16-17, 11:08 AM
Freshman

Touche!

Next week will be show and prove time for MVCDS, they play Bowsher, Ottawa Hills and TC.
Old 12-16-17, 11:32 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsendcustom View Post
It's clear MVCDS has way more skill than Northwood but that game looked like an intramural game between the athletic department and the math department.
Old 12-16-17, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
My money's on the Math Dept. More likely to be able to see their own feet.
Old 12-17-17, 01:04 AM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
Stritch dominated the second half to come back from a ten point halftime deficit Saturday to beat Cornerstone Christian 66-55. Apparently Cornerstone was supposed to be a favorite in D4 this year. They knocked off St. Ignatius already this season so they must be pretty talented.

Here's what their local paper thought of them in the preseason. http://highschoolsports.cleveland.co...tball-preview/

Stritch should roll Emanuel Christian and Danbury before getting Tested playing Central Catholic to start the Southview tournament.
Old 12-17-17, 09:33 AM
All World

That is a high quality win. Aside from SJ playing out of town probably the top out of area opponent thus far and to win by 11 is impressive.

There has been lots of talk about Stritch and MVCDS but I just do not see MVCDS keeping up with Stritch's depth. Of course it is HS basketball but the Cardinal's have kids on their bench that would start and produce at most other area schools.
Old 12-18-17, 03:32 PM
Freshman

Stritch and Cornerstone was a good game. Cornerstone jumped out early but CS fought back to close the gap at half. Midway through the 3rd quarter Burton took over hitting 3's from deep and Cornerstone's best player headed to Furman (Bothwell #30) sprained his ankle. By that point the damage was done CS was on a roll, Burton and Yost did most of the damage and Cornerstone never recovered.

Good win for CS in a hostile environment. BTW Cornerstone is now 1-4 besides Bothwell didn't seem to have much in the way of playmakers don't know if they were overrated or what?
Old 12-18-17, 04:31 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Were you at the game?

Stritch was down 9 after 1 and down 10 at half.

Bothwell rolled his ankle, but only sat out a couple minutes. Stritch had already taken the lead.

Yost is a great shooter, but only had 3 points and was not used much in this game because of matchups. Dunsmore hit some big 3's.

The environment was not hostile. Maybe 200 fans at a neutral site.

Cornerstone is a D4 playing a D1 schedule. They have lost to Cleveland Heights, St. Ed's, and Cleveland Central Catholic and beat St. Iggy. No D4 team in the state would have a great record vs that schedule.

Bothwell was the D4 player of the year in Ohio as a soph and is surrounded by a lot of quickness, plus 3 6'5"-6'6" athletic post players.

This was a legit high quality win.

And yes Burton was on fire. 24 points, all in 2nd half. I am not sure he missed a shot during that run.

Last edited by Smalls; 12-18-17 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-18-17, 04:46 PM
All Region

Cornerstone is known to take on anyone. They have 11 D1 schools and 2 defending state champs at the lower levels on their schedule.

When they won State in 2016 they entered the tournament with a losing record.
Old 12-18-17, 07:55 PM
Freshman

Semantics!
Old 12-18-17, 08:07 PM
Varsity

808 is on a distinguished road
MVCDS lost a senior back up. Quit team in the middle of EC game.
Bench was looking pretty thin before!
Old 12-19-17, 11:23 PM
Freshman

MVCDS defeats Bowsher 68-61 at Bowsher!
TC, CS representative were there checking out the game.
Old 12-22-17, 12:19 PM
All Yappi

over 60 foul shots?!
Old 12-23-17, 02:03 PM
Varsity

Checked out both Bowsher and Ottawa Hills games.

Major difference between Maumee Valley and Cardinal Stritch is perimeter defense. Yes 60 fouls in the both games. MVCDS perimeter players do not move their feet they reach in alot and which in turn creates contact and they are called for those fouls. Cardinal Stritch players move their feet and have active hands without reaching. (subtle coaching)

Bowsher game was tale of two half's, Woodley got to cheap fouls sat most of the half. Jackson just jacked up shot after shot finished maybe two makes in first half on at least 14 attempts. Second half Woodley and Kynard carried sparked the team along with Jett.
Woodley had 14 in the second half and big dunk to jump the lead to 6 that gave MV the momentum to close it out. They made 31-36 free throws.

Ottawa Hills game was almost the same, Cummings kid is athletic aggressive and have a quick second bounce. MV jumped out early but lost lead and let OH back in the game. Second half MV had lead of 42-26 and once Woodley went to bench OH just killed them on the boards and got back in the game. Woodley and Cummings controlled the boards and paint. Both finished with 25 pts and 12 boards. Woodley 9-16 from floor and 7-7 from free throw line and Cummings 8-20 from floor and 9-11 from free throw line. OH does a good job of making sure he gets touches. MV doesn't do that Woodley weird. Kynard and Jett controlled game due too Jackson getting in foul trouble and then fouling out. I will say in both games, when Jett or Kynard are running the point MV's ball movement is very good, not when Jackson runs points he looks score not facilitate. They would be better off moving him to off guard and having Jett or Kynard run point.

They play TC tonight prediction if Jackson scores 25 or more MV loses or if Jackson scores 16-18 MV wins. If they share and have Woodley and others contribute they are better than TC that simple.

BTW kid Ajai Washington (Kizer) was a blur on the floor for Bowsher no MVCDS guard could keep in front of him down hill.
Old 12-23-17, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

the last couple years there have been certain posters taking obvious digs at the MV coaching? Why is that? I don't recal them ever achieving much previous. Change in coaching? Coaching style? For that matter, I don't recall them ever even being talked about. Now they seem relevant? Isn't that good? Or is it opposing fans/coaches butthurt?

What's the story?
Old 12-23-17, 05:02 PM
Varsity

Interesting perspective.
Old 12-23-17, 07:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Interesting perspective.
Not an unusual one from people who've been around these boards awhile. You get to expect those that come on here to "recruit" or negatively recruit either a program or sometimes particular kid. You even get those who obviously were outshined or didn't get a job. IB knows what I'm talking about.

So they bad mouth a program. Bad mouth sideways a coach, whatever. Me? I'm guilty for none of those reasons.
Old 12-23-17, 10:16 PM
Varsity

Mc Whinnie does it again!
Old 12-24-17, 10:14 AM
All District

BacktoBack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
the last couple years there have been certain posters taking obvious digs at the MV coaching? Why is that? I don't recal them ever achieving much previous. Change in coaching? Coaching style? For that matter, I don't recall them ever even being talked about. Now they seem relevant? Isn't that good? Or is it opposing fans/coaches butthurt?

What's the story?
When a team's performance is far below the sum of their parts, where do you look for answers? Fair to say that Stritch isn't in that situation now as they are playing well. When Ottawa Hills had some size/talent, they took it deep into the region. And year in, year out, Coach McWhinnie does a heckuva job.

Because MVCD were young last year, that was the excuse. I've seen them several times and there are glaring problems with the lineups and the style of play. That to me speaks to coaching. I want them to be good. I want Zeb to show us all what he is capable of, but I feel like night in and night out, I see what Burton and Holifield can do. I can't say the same about Zeb. And that's not a knock on the kid, but rather on how he is utilized. It is obvious he is a real talent and it isn't every year that we have a kid like that in the TAAC. Be nice to see what he can do.
Old 12-24-17, 10:15 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 View Post
Mc Whinnie does it again!
Not a surprise, the guy knows what he is doing over there.

Mad that I missed it. Hopefully BCSN will get the replay up soon.
Old 12-24-17, 01:26 PM
All World

MVCDS is going through a culture change/shock. I have not seen them enough to know whether their coach is good or bad but I do know it is not easy to coach at a school where you have to walk a fine line between playing who is best and to the best of their abilities versus playing tuition payers whose parents have heavy clout within the school.

I know Zeb Jackson is an AAU All-Star and have seen his highlights but I've yet to see those skills translate to the HS game? Is it coaching? Could be? Could also be some kids are more suited for an up and down pace of AAU vs. HS? Albeit played surrounded by better talent.

Woodley is a senior correct? Losing him will hurt next year as he is their only post threat (and a darn good one). In my humble opinion MVCDS should not lose to TC but then again it is HS basketball and sometimes 15-16-17 year olds just fail to show up.

I could see Stritch actually being better next year which is scary. They need to up their schedule to the Lebrons and Moeller's of the world IMO. This Holiday tournament vs. a young yet talented CCHS and the NLL's top team in Southview should be very interesting. King/Norrils/Burton match-ups should be nice. A couple post battles between Fields/Wagonhauser(spl?)/Taylor (Finch/Crayer/Anderson) should be nice as well.
Old 12-24-17, 02:37 PM
All District

Thanks for your thoughts IB, I never thought about what the coach is facing at MVCDS. And I agree on Stritch, they are really headed to the stratosphere.

Here is what troubles me about MVCDS: I saw Ottawa Hills beat them last year over at Ottawa Hills by putting one kid on Zeb, frustrating him, denying and bodying him up. I just watched the replay from last night, McWhinnie ran a box and one and also did the same thing Ottawa Hills did last year.

There were a number of differences between the teams, but one of the big ones was that regardless of ultimate execution, TC appeared prepared for what they were encountering. There were numerous things that MV should have been expecting/prepared for that they were not. How hard is it to put Zeb on the free throw line if they are running a box and one(or even the baseline,though I prefer the former)? Then you can run your 1-3-1(or a 4 out/1 in motion).

If they are going to run 2 at Zeb when playing man to man, you are 4v3 which should mean a lot of layups. I know I sound crazy, but I wonder sometimes if anyone is watching the film?

I want them to be better. I want to see the battles that should play out. These are good times for the TAAC, I would like to see the teams flourish. The good news is that watching the game, MV did a lot to get back into the game. I will try to make the rematch over at MV.

Side note: The freshman Steve Coleman is going to be a player.
Old 12-24-17, 02:41 PM
All District

I'm hoping to get over to Southview to see the tournament. Like you said, you never know who will show up, but I won't bet against Holifield. He is a winner.

Speaking of discord at MV: http://www.13abc.com/content/news/In...451997613.html

Can't believe I never saw this.
Old 12-24-17, 11:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBack View Post
When a team's performance is far below the sum of their parts, where do you look for answers? Fair to say that Stritch isn't in that situation now as they are playing well. When Ottawa Hills had some size/talent, they took it deep into the region. And year in, year out, Coach McWhinnie does a heckuva job.

Because MVCD were young last year, that was the excuse. I've seen them several times and there are glaring problems with the lineups and the style of play. That to me speaks to coaching. I want them to be good. I want Zeb to show us all what he is capable of, but I feel like night in and night out, I see what Burton and Holifield can do. I can't say the same about Zeb. And that's not a knock on the kid, but rather on how he is utilized. It is obvious he is a real talent and it isn't every year that we have a kid like that in the TAAC. Be nice to see what he can do.
Is it possible that the school doesn't believe basketball wags the dog? That it is "extra-curricular?" Like Stritch used to be, before hitting the recruitment trail. It was about giving an extra-curricular opportunity to the kids who enrolled for the education. Certainly the parents enrolled their kid at MV knowing that?

So who is anyone to make derogatory statements about their coaching, unless you take the job and critizice yourself? Moreso, how is publically criticizing any coach within that TAAC system going to strengthen the conference as a whole? You come off small time with this nonsense. Or maybe that's the goal? You're trying to chase kids out of that system into some other?

Grow some balls you got a complaint about coaching and tell it to the coach directly. Doing it anonymously on the message board, never looks good. This isn't college. It isn't the pros. That coach isn't making a million dollars.

I can't read your or the minds of others on this bullying tract but it comes off sorry azzed. Any kid or parent with a brain would hopefully see through it as negative recruiting. Your actions don't speak of someone that gives a crap about that kid or any other. You come off as selfserving, caring about yourself.

Suggestion: say positive things about YOUR program. Maybe that will have the desired effect?
Old 12-25-17, 08:54 AM
All District

eastisbest,

I enjoy the levity you bring to the boards, but you are way off base here. I have no program. I root for all the kids in the area to fulfill their true potential. Plantz and Holifield are a couple I am high on, and the last thing I will ever be is a hater. Especially of a kid.

I have a couple of friends that ref, have spent a lot of time around the game and spent 9 years coaching in another life(and city). So that is my background.

There is no cowardice in my comments, I'm just calling it like I see it on the screen or in the gym. I don't know the coach, never met him and don't expect to be able to share my thoughts with him. I also can't imagine anyone would take my off the cuff comments as some sort of negative recruiting. Or maybe there are a number of 8th graders logged in here taking advice from randoms on their futures. I think not.

As far as I can tell, you are the one who is upset. I'm just calling the game like i see it. A couple of questions, so we can talk hoops:

How would you combat a box and one?

Would you use inbounds pressure in a diamond press?
Old 12-25-17, 09:58 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
The environment was not hostile. Maybe 200 fans at a neutral site.
That's some Christmas comedy right there....200 fans....hostile?? I
Old 12-25-17, 10:10 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
That's some Christmas comedy right there....200 fans....hostile?? I
Hence the word "not".