Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-18, 10:55 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Was just coming here to post a similar article I read this morning on Martian ice

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/ste...-of-buried-ice
Great quote from the article: "Astronauts could essentially just go there with a bucket and a shovel and get all the water they need."
Old 01-13-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Great quote from the article: "Astronauts could essentially just go there with a bucket and a shovel and get all the water they need."
Demonstrating that water could be easily located and exploited on Mars is going to have several countries thinking about getting to the Red Planet soon. I suspect that we might be on the cusp of a real Mars race similar to the moon race back in the 1960's. A colony on Mars is definitely feasible and at the very minimum and getting at least some of the human race off earth is a smart insurance policy IMO.
Old 01-13-18, 12:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Demonstrating that water could be easily located and exploited on Mars is going to have several countries thinking about getting to the Red Planet soon. I suspect that we might be on the cusp of a real Mars race similar to the moon race back in the 1960's. A colony on Mars is definitely feasible and at the very minimum and getting at least some of the human race off earth is a smart insurance policy IMO.
lotr:

How soon do you think we could colonize Mars? Certainly not by 2030, IMO, which is a date often mentioned. I doubt if we could pull it off within the next twenty years even...maybe fifty. There are too many unresolved obstacles, even with our rapidly advancing technology...not to mention funding issues.

It's a great time to be alive when we can realistically speculate about colonizing Mars, but I think it's still just a bit out of our reach, as of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-13-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
lotr:

How soon do you think we could colonize Mars? Certainly not by 2030, IMO, which is a date often mentioned. I doubt if we could pull it off within the next twenty years even...maybe fifty. There are too many unresolved obstacles, even with our rapidly advancing technology...not to mention funding issues.

It's a great time to be alive when we can realistically speculate about colonizing Mars, but I think it's still just a bit out of our reach, as of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm thinking that someone is going to put human beings on Mars no later than 2035. If a real race kicks off it could happen as soon as 2030 IMO. At the same time there is going to be an explosion of unmanned voyages to Mars and we're going to learn a whole lot more about the red planet over the next decade. If we discover life or that life once existed, then I think a Mars race will automatically kick off.

Once we send human beings to Mars and bring them back again say in 2035 - 2040 I'm thinking that a permanent colony can be established within 10 years or by 2050. Once established this colony will grow fast and we may even see separate colonies established by the US, Russia & China. By 2100 at the latest we should have established a thriving, breeding colony of humans on the red planet.
Old 01-14-18, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Water, water everywhere!

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...olar-ice-water

Small pits in a large crater on the Moon's North Pole could be "skylights" leading down to an underground network of lava tubes – tubes holding hidden water on Earth's nearest neighbour, according to new research.

There's no lava in them now of course, though that's originally how the tubes formed in the Moon's fiery past. But they could indicate easy access to a water source if we ever decide to develop a Moon base sometime in the future.

Despite the Moon's dry and dusty appearance, scientists think it contains a lot of water trapped as frozen ice. What these new observations carried out by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) show is that it might be much more accessible than we thought.

You just can't overstate the importance of finding accessible water on the Moon & Mars. These are the two places that make the most sense for large scale human settlement.
Old 01-15-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Here's the latest update on that very strange radio burst coming form 3,000,000,000 light years away!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...space-science/

About three billion light-years away, that mysterious object continually hurls humongous blasts of radio waves into the cosmos. Now, scientists have spied in those waves the spiraling signature of an extremely strong magnetic field, suggesting that the cosmic oddity exists in an intense galactic environment containing a powerfully magnetic source.

And here's one very cool theory that the burst is caused by:

“Dense tendrils of magnetized matter associated with turbulent gas surrounding a young supernova remnant would provide a comparably compelling explanation,” says Jean-Pierre MacQuart of Australia’s Curtin University.
Old 01-16-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Thar's Platinum on that thar Moon!

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/0...ndustries.html

Dennis Wingo sees metals mining, communication stations and telescopes on the moon. The combination of industries will make moon development viable.

The moon is largely made up of metal oxides that could yield new supplies of platinum — perhaps enough to drive prices for the precious metal down to $300 from $1,400 an ounce today. Processing metals on the moon does not require chemicals. Different levels of heat can be used to make different metals. Cheaper platinum will make fuel cells that are so much more effective than combustion engines.

Skycorp’s mission is to fundamentally transform the spacecraft industry, utilizing orbital assembly process, electric propulsion, and modular construction, to create applications unthinkable before.

Lert's just make sure that SKYCORP is not in ANY way related to SKYNET and we're golden!
Old 01-17-18, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Here's some nice videos and pictures of last nights epic meteor flame out over Michigan!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghborhood.html
Old 01-18-18, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

Okay I'm calling a foul on this Chinese idea:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...up-space-junk/

Every space agency has a plan to get rid of space junk in the future. NASA is considering using jets of gas to slow down debris and cause it to deorbit. Europe’s thinking about sending up a satellite with a giant net to snare the debris and bring it down. Japan’s idea is to use an electric tether to do the same.

And now China has proposed a solution to the space debris problem: a giant laser that will break floating space junk into smaller and less harmful pieces. According to a paper published in the journal Optik by a group of researchers at the Air Force Engineering University in China, equipping a satellite with such a laser would be effective enough to clean up space, at least according to simulations.

As Instapundit (https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/) notes over at his blog, this sure looks like a clever way to test the military applications of space lasers without getting called out on it.
Old 01-18-18, 10:40 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's some nice videos and pictures of last nights epic meteor flame out over Michigan!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghborhood.html
I didn't see reports of a loud noise, but I was wondering if it could have created a sonic boom capable of registering as a 2.0 quake?
Old 01-18-18, 05:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
I didn't see reports of a loud noise, but I was wondering if it could have created a sonic boom capable of registering as a 2.0 quake?
According to this article the answer is NO:

https://www.popsci.com/fireball-mich...eor-earthquake

It brightened the cold Michigan night in an instant: a brilliant burst of light streaking across the sky, captured on security footage and dashboard cameras across part of the state.

Then the National Weather Service’s Detroit office tweeted out confirmation that the rock speeding through our atmosphere had caused an earthquake.

Not quite. The object did transfer some energy to the ground (either by smacking into it, or by sending the equivalent of a sonic boom through the air). But while the effect was enough to rattle some shelves and buildings, there was not nearly enough energy transfer to cause or trigger an earthquake—not even a small one.

The article then goes on to explain why this meteor didn't cause the quake.
Old 01-19-18, 10:34 AM
All Yappi

One of these days.............................................. BOOM!

https://nypost.com/2018/01/18/skyscr...ll-buzz-earth/

Imagine a piece of rock the size of the Burj Khalifa skyscraper speeding through space 15 times faster the world’s fastest manned aircraft. Now imagine that piece of rock buzzing toward Earth on its way to making a nearby pass (and by “nearby,” we mean more than 11 times the distance between our planet and the moon).
Old 01-21-18, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

Here's a cool innovation that might be the key to powering a Martian colony:

https://www.popsci.com/nuclear-reactors-mars

The cylinder of uranium is the size of a coffee can. Even with its shielding and detectors, the device is still no larger than a wastepaper basket. But this little prototype, soon to be tested in the Nevada desert, fuels a dream of an off-world future for humanity.

The Kilopower project, a joint venture between NASA and the Department of Energy, is set to be the first nuclear fission reactor to reach space since the SNAP 10A project in the 1960s. A prototype is in testing, which makes it closer to launch than any of the other projects that popped up in the intervening decades.

My first thought was "wow, this would be great for right here on Earth". Then I considered how some ding bat might fiddle with their home nuke reactor and figured it's probably better if we keep these things off earth.
Old 01-22-18, 10:10 AM
All Yappi

It looks like Project Icarus lives!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.556e83d945b0

On a recent morning, a spacecraft not unlike the one envisioned in 1958 sat in a sterile room at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. Its side panels were open to expose its inner workings — electronics boxes, a propulsion tank, instruments for measuring the sun's magnetic field and capturing images of its tumultuous atmosphere. The spacecraft's heat shield was encased in a separate container, emblazoned with large red lettering that admonished “HANDLE ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION” and “DO NOT EXPOSE TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT.”

Pointing out the warnings, engineer Curtis Wilkerson chuckled. This summer, the Parker Solar Probe will launch on a journey that will send it skimming through the sun's atmosphere at a pace of 450,000 mph — fast enough to get from Washington to New York in about a second. It will fly within 4 million miles of the sun's surface — seven times closer than any spacecraft has gotten before. That heat shield will not only be exposed to sunlight, it must withstand blasts of 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — while simultaneously maintaining the instruments on the other side at roughly room temperature.

It looks like some more mysteries are about to be unraveled!
Old 01-22-18, 11:02 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...." It will fly within 4 million miles of the sun's surface — seven times closer than any spacecraft has gotten before.
I've been puzzling over the wording of this comparison sentence - I don't "seven times closer" is quite the correct phrase. I think they meant the Solar Probe will get within one-seventh the distance of the previously closest spacecraft, which makes more sense.

We now resume our regular programming, LOL.
Old 01-22-18, 12:13 PM
All World

Quote:
I've been puzzling over the wording of this comparison sentence - I don't "seven times closer" is quite the correct phrase. I think they meant the Solar Probe will get within one-seventh the distance of the previously closest spacecraft, which makes more sense.

I've been seeing this kind of wording a lot lately...often in science related articles. I believe I already mentioned it in this thread. "Seven times closer", "four times smaller", "ten times less", etc.

I'm not sure why it bugs me so much, but it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 01-22-18, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Quote:
seven times closer
one-seventh the distance .
"How far away were you?" "1-mile" "I was seven times further"

"How close were you?" "7-miles" "I was seven times closer"

Not feeing an ambiguity there, reciprocal phrasing. I think it's clear. Maybe a regional thing like pop and soda?
Old 01-22-18, 05:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Unfortunately they are starting to use the language of advertising in science. Saying that you are getting "7 time closer than ever before" is just trying to make it sound more impressive then providing the difference in miles from the sun.
Old 01-24-18, 07:20 PM
All Yappi

Now this sounds very interesting. Popular Mechanics may have broke a HUGE story here:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/spac...s-tokyo-talks/

Top NASA officials and their partners in the International Space Station program gathered in Tokyo this past Friday and Monday, Popular Mechanics has learned, for behind-closed-doors talks on the next big step in human spaceflight: the lunar orbiting station. Officially known as the Deep Space Gateway, or DSG, the modular outpost will occupy an egg-shaped orbit around the moon in the 2020s, when it replaces the ISS and becomes the main destination for astronauts and cosmonauts.

Although all partners generally agree on the idea of the DSG, the exact design and use of the future outpost is still up for debate. NASA hoped to use the outpost as a springboard for missions to Mars, while others are pushing for the exploration of the lunar surface. These diverse goals will be hard to reconcile in one space station because of technical and financial differences and limitations.
Old 01-25-18, 07:07 PM
All World

^^^The International Space Station was visible from Dayton tonight between 6:19-6:23 p.m. It was visible for about three minutes last night, too, but it was way too cloudy outside. Since it was clear tonight, I gave it a look. Pretty frickin' awesome. I assumed it would look bright and fast (over 17,000 mph), but I was surprised at how big it looked, from 250 miles away. It loomed really big for only about a minute...then it moved so quickly across the sky it became just a bright dot. If you know what the ISS looks like, you could vaguely make out it's distinct shape (with all it's solar panels), for that brief minute, even with the naked eye. I wish I had brought a telescope or binoculars, but even without, it was pretty cool.

Next up (possibly): the DSG, orbiting the moon. How cool is that?
Old 01-25-18, 09:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
^^^The International Space Station was visible from Dayton tonight between 6:19-6:23 p.m. It was visible for about three minutes last night, too, but it was way too cloudy outside. Since it was clear tonight, I gave it a look. Pretty frickin' awesome. I assumed it would look bright and fast (over 17,000 mph), but I was surprised at how big it looked, from 250 miles away. It loomed really big for only about a minute...then it moved so quickly across the sky it became just a bright dot. If you know what the ISS looks like, you could vaguely make out it's distinct shape (with all it's solar panels), for that brief minute, even with the naked eye. I wish I had brought a telescope or binoculars, but even without, it was pretty cool.

Next up (possibly): the DSG, orbiting the moon. How cool is that?
Damn I missed that down here in Cincinnati. Must have been a cool sight. Heck, when I'm away from the cities light pollution just watching a normal satellite float by overhead is neat.

Same day our great grand children will look up into the sky at a dizzying array of space stations and habitats. Heck they might even see the lights of cities on the moon. But the most amazing thing about this will be that when they look up at all the wonders in the sky they'll yawn just like we do when a jet fly's overhead.
Old 01-26-18, 06:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Damn I missed that down here in Cincinnati. Must have been a cool sight. Heck, when I'm away from the cities light pollution just watching a normal satellite float by overhead is neat.

Same day our great grand children will look up into the sky at a dizzying array of space stations and habitats. Heck they might even see the lights of cities on the moon. But the most amazing thing about this will be that when they look up at all the wonders in the sky they'll yawn just like we do when a jet fly's overhead.
Now that's a neat thought... future generations seeing lights from cities on the moon. Moon-cities with names like New Luna City and Fort Selene. Unfortunately, we were born a bit too early.
Old 01-28-18, 07:14 PM
All Yappi

Well this is discouraging:

https://gizmodo.com/potentially-haza...u-t-1822445445

In some industries, sex sells. In the science journalism industry, however, potentially killer asteroids sell even more. Due to a quirk of how NASA refers to the many asteroids it tracks, countless headlines like these fill Google News every month: “Massive and Potentially Dangerous Asteroid Will Approach Earth Tonight”; “‘Potentially Hazardous’ Asteroid to Pass by Earth on Super Bowl Sunday.” Those aren’t tabloids—they’re from Newsweek and New York Magazine, respectively. The problem is, NASA’s definition of “potentially hazardous” isn’t the same as the general public’s.

There are countless asteroids in this solar system, and astronomers try to keep track of as many as they can, including those that may cause harm in the future. But the term “Potentially Hazardous Asteroid,” a label that NASA routinely gives to various space rocks, doesn’t mean that Earth is in danger—or even potentially in danger, at least not any time soon. It just means that scientists should continue tracking that rock, and let us know if they do become a concern later.

So they alarm us about the rocks that won't hurt us while the don't talk so much about all the rocks out there that they don't and/or can't track that could hurt us. Got it.

The real issue is that articles calling these asteroids “potentially dangerous” miss the point: The asteroids that caused the Chelyabinsk or Michigan events weren’t labeled “potentially hazardous” because they weren’t tracked at all. Something the size of the Chelyabinsk meteor (15-20 meters) hitting an urban center could still be devastating.
Old 01-30-18, 02:29 PM
All Yappi

In searching for life we need to keep in mind that the cosmos is likely stranger than we can ever imagine:

https://www.space.com/39476-alien-li...es-oxygen.html

Alien-life hunters should keep an open mind when scanning the atmospheres of exoplanets, a new study stresses.

The time-honored strategy of looking for oxygen is indeed a good one, study team members said; after all, it's tough for this gas to build up in a planet's atmosphere if life isn't there churning it out.

"But we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket," study lead author Joshua Krissansen-Totton, a doctoral student in Earth and space sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle, said in a statement.

In fact it's likely that bio-signatures may involve all sorts of different chemistry's:

Proposing to look for compounds in disequilibrium isn't a novel idea. For example, other astrobiologists have suggested that the combination of methane and oxygen in an exoplanet's air would be a strong sign of life.

But the new study could help open researchers' minds to possibilities beyond oxygen, which was not detectable in Earth's atmosphere for most of life's history on this planet. (The gas didn't start building up in our air until about 2.5 billion years ago, when photosynthesis really took off. And it may not have reached reasonably high levels until 600 million years ago or so, scientists have said.)
Old 01-30-18, 05:49 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:

"But we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket,"
study lead author Joshua Krissansen-Totton, a doctoral student in Earth and space sciences at the University of Washington in Seattle, said in a statement.
In context, that's kind of an ironic statement.
Old 01-31-18, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

YUCK!!!!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...tronaut-waste/

We might sometimes talk about eating crap on a night in, but that’s nothing compared to the more literal crap future astronauts could well find themselves chowing down on. That’s thanks to researchers at Penn State University, who have been using a research grant from NASA to develop technology for breaking down solid and liquid waste, and transforming it into food that’s hygienic and safe for humans — albeit something you probably won’t be serving at a dinner party anytime soon. The resulting foodstuff is high in both protein and fat, and apparently not dissimilar to savory British sandwich spread, Marmite.

Sorry but it's open to debate whether this truly represents progress.
Old 01-31-18, 10:38 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
YUCK!!!!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...tronaut-waste/

We might sometimes talk about eating crap on a night in, but that’s nothing compared to the more literal crap future astronauts could well find themselves chowing down on. That’s thanks to researchers at Penn State University, who have been using a research grant from NASA to develop technology for breaking down solid and liquid waste, and transforming it into food that’s hygienic and safe for humans — albeit something you probably won’t be serving at a dinner party anytime soon. The resulting foodstuff is high in both protein and fat, and apparently not dissimilar to savory British sandwich spread, Marmite.

Sorry but it's open to debate whether this truly represents progress.
Not so excited about Mars now, are you?
Old 01-31-18, 11:39 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Finding ways to turn waste into something useful isn't progress?
Old 01-31-18, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Lotr was all excited about going to mars until he heard he’d have to eat his own sht.
Old 01-31-18, 12:40 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
He eats up everything Trump spits out. Not sure what the difference is.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: