Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-12-18, 10:55 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Was just coming here to post a similar article I read this morning on Martian ice

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/ste...-of-buried-ice
Great quote from the article: "Astronauts could essentially just go there with a bucket and a shovel and get all the water they need."
Old 01-13-18, 10:21 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
Great quote from the article: "Astronauts could essentially just go there with a bucket and a shovel and get all the water they need."
Demonstrating that water could be easily located and exploited on Mars is going to have several countries thinking about getting to the Red Planet soon. I suspect that we might be on the cusp of a real Mars race similar to the moon race back in the 1960's. A colony on Mars is definitely feasible and at the very minimum and getting at least some of the human race off earth is a smart insurance policy IMO.
Old 01-13-18, 12:13 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Demonstrating that water could be easily located and exploited on Mars is going to have several countries thinking about getting to the Red Planet soon. I suspect that we might be on the cusp of a real Mars race similar to the moon race back in the 1960's. A colony on Mars is definitely feasible and at the very minimum and getting at least some of the human race off earth is a smart insurance policy IMO.
lotr:

How soon do you think we could colonize Mars? Certainly not by 2030, IMO, which is a date often mentioned. I doubt if we could pull it off within the next twenty years even...maybe fifty. There are too many unresolved obstacles, even with our rapidly advancing technology...not to mention funding issues.

It's a great time to be alive when we can realistically speculate about colonizing Mars, but I think it's still just a bit out of our reach, as of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 01-13-18, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
lotr:

How soon do you think we could colonize Mars? Certainly not by 2030, IMO, which is a date often mentioned. I doubt if we could pull it off within the next twenty years even...maybe fifty. There are too many unresolved obstacles, even with our rapidly advancing technology...not to mention funding issues.

It's a great time to be alive when we can realistically speculate about colonizing Mars, but I think it's still just a bit out of our reach, as of 2018. Maybe I'm wrong.
I'm thinking that someone is going to put human beings on Mars no later than 2035. If a real race kicks off it could happen as soon as 2030 IMO. At the same time there is going to be an explosion of unmanned voyages to Mars and we're going to learn a whole lot more about the red planet over the next decade. If we discover life or that life once existed, then I think a Mars race will automatically kick off.

Once we send human beings to Mars and bring them back again say in 2035 - 2040 I'm thinking that a permanent colony can be established within 10 years or by 2050. Once established this colony will grow fast and we may even see separate colonies established by the US, Russia & China. By 2100 at the latest we should have established a thriving, breeding colony of humans on the red planet.
Old 01-14-18, 09:10 AM
All Yappi

Water, water everywhere!

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...olar-ice-water

Small pits in a large crater on the Moon's North Pole could be "skylights" leading down to an underground network of lava tubes – tubes holding hidden water on Earth's nearest neighbour, according to new research.

There's no lava in them now of course, though that's originally how the tubes formed in the Moon's fiery past. But they could indicate easy access to a water source if we ever decide to develop a Moon base sometime in the future.

Despite the Moon's dry and dusty appearance, scientists think it contains a lot of water trapped as frozen ice. What these new observations carried out by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) show is that it might be much more accessible than we thought.

You just can't overstate the importance of finding accessible water on the Moon & Mars. These are the two places that make the most sense for large scale human settlement.
Old 01-15-18, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Here's the latest update on that very strange radio burst coming form 3,000,000,000 light years away!

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...space-science/

About three billion light-years away, that mysterious object continually hurls humongous blasts of radio waves into the cosmos. Now, scientists have spied in those waves the spiraling signature of an extremely strong magnetic field, suggesting that the cosmic oddity exists in an intense galactic environment containing a powerfully magnetic source.

And here's one very cool theory that the burst is caused by:

“Dense tendrils of magnetized matter associated with turbulent gas surrounding a young supernova remnant would provide a comparably compelling explanation,” says Jean-Pierre MacQuart of Australia’s Curtin University.
Old 01-16-18, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Thar's Platinum on that thar Moon!

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/0...ndustries.html

Dennis Wingo sees metals mining, communication stations and telescopes on the moon. The combination of industries will make moon development viable.

The moon is largely made up of metal oxides that could yield new supplies of platinum — perhaps enough to drive prices for the precious metal down to $300 from $1,400 an ounce today. Processing metals on the moon does not require chemicals. Different levels of heat can be used to make different metals. Cheaper platinum will make fuel cells that are so much more effective than combustion engines.

Skycorp’s mission is to fundamentally transform the spacecraft industry, utilizing orbital assembly process, electric propulsion, and modular construction, to create applications unthinkable before.

Lert's just make sure that SKYCORP is not in ANY way related to SKYNET and we're golden!
Old 01-17-18, 08:00 PM
All Yappi

Here's some nice videos and pictures of last nights epic meteor flame out over Michigan!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghborhood.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: