Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-20-17, 04:46 PM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Was at the game & was surprised at low score. Strongsville played a zone defense & had very good size. Mentor again missed lots of fouls, but had much fewer TOS & they played good defense. I understand Strongsville”es best player has been out until last game &does make a difference when he is in the lineup.. I look for them to score a few upsets before the season is over because they do have some talent.
Old 01-09-18, 09:38 PM
All American

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
Saw Mentor for the second time this year tonight against Euclid. In past years Mentor has always had the IT factor - this team does not. They just don't shoot like past teams, they do not execute the press like they have in the past and their overall defense is just not Me for like. I was shocked that Euclid beat them. The biggest shocker is turnovers. It seems if #40 struggles - the team struggles. I know the kid who played QB is their big but he is a bull in a china shop. He is very limited offensively and always seems to be jawing with the other team and in foul trouble. I figured after the Shaker game Coach K would fix some of the glaring issues - now I'm not so sure. Euclid is not a good team. Mentor IMO is the 5th best team at the Euclid District at this time.
Old 01-11-18, 10:26 AM
All Region

I agree with most of your comments on Mentor basketball record so far. However, I still feel there is hope the program will improve by tournament time. I think part of the problem is that 3 of the stronger players Tadas, Trubisky & Flores just finished football a couple of weeks ago & 7 of the 9 games were all away. It takes a few weeks to make .the transition from football to basketball & not playing in the summer basketball ptogram, because of football commitments, Does’nt
help.. Hopefully time will help improve the performance of the team as they get more playing time together.
Old 01-11-18, 12:38 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
I watched a few games over the past month or so and the number one thing Mentor lacks is a true go-to scorer. Almost every Mentor team in the 2000's had (at least) one player that was an All-District level guard. Bratten, Zienkowski, May, Meyer, Crowe, Krizancic, Fritts, Foreman are among the standout guards. All of those players except Foreman made the All-State team. During the district title drought (2014-2016), that type of scorer and leader wasn't present or consistent enough. Last season, Jack Korsok embraced that role and had a fantastic season.

This year's team was always going to be dependent on a trio of senior guards (Koski, Zalba, Kryz) that all have a lot of experience. They are basketball-only guys that are in the gym from April to October as much as anyone in the area. They are nice players in their own way, but none of them are geared quite like the other guards I mentioned above.

This team may improve and surprise someone in the district tournament. But at the rate this is going, they are going to have to surprise two or three teams to win the district. This is looking like a probable No. 5 seed (behind Solon, Brush, Benedictine, and Cleveland Heights) at the Euclid tournament. Mentor may have to beat three of those four to cut down the nets. I can't see that happening. On any one given day, they have the talent to beat any of those teams - including Solon. But they don't have the consistency to keep that up for multiple games and weeks in March.
Old 01-12-18, 11:13 AM
All Region

Agree with your assessment cardz1234.
Old 01-15-18, 03:25 PM
All Yappi

A busy, but very winnable next week for Mentor. They play at North tomorrow, at home against Elyria on Friday, and then a makeup game on 1/22 at Medina. A sweep over the next week is my expectation. Hopefully that would build some confidence as the tougher games come up with rematches against Shaker and Solon as well as a showdown against Cornerstone.
Old 01-17-18, 10:53 AM
All Region

Mentor Coach Bob Krizancic reached his 600 th win against North in a 96-38 victory. He has spent 25 years at Mentor, winning the Division I State title in 2013, also the Dvision II state title at his alma Mater Girard, in 1993. IMO, Coach K has done a phenomenal job at Mentor, making it one of the best & most respected programs in Ohio. Hopefully, he will continue to Coach, but I feel he has got to be considering retirement after 38 years of head coach. If he does retire, I think Mentor should honor him by doing something like naming the gym after him or something very grateful, because of what he has done for their program in the past 25 years.
Old 01-17-18, 01:08 PM
All Yappi

Yes, I echo the congrats to one of the more accomplished HS basketball coaches in the history of Ohio. How many coaches have 600+ wins and state titles with multiple schools? Probably none. He has done a fantastic job making Mentor very relevant locally and frequently in contention for regional or state titles since he arrived.

Who know when he will hang it up. I thought it would happen by now, but happy he is still around. This is not looking like it will be the most memorable year to complete your career. Hopefully the team can pull together and finish strong.

I agree that I could see the gym being named after Krizancic.
Old 01-17-18, 03:41 PM
All Yappi

Most memorable wins (for me):

1) State championship (2013) win over Toledo Rogers. For a school with very few state championships, this was especially memorable. A great team that played together very well. Mentor's 3rd quarter blitz on Rogers separated themselves before they would eventually cut down the nets.

2) Regional final win (2010) over St Edward. Mentor had played the Eagles in Lakewood earlier in the season...it didn't go that well. The Eagles were very good, and two of their top players with 6'9 or 6'10 that were headed to the Big Ten and the ACC. Led by a trio of talented small guards (Cole Krizancic, Jaron Crowe, and Justin Fritts) - Mentor somehow upset the Eagles and made it to Columbus for the first time

3) State semifinal win over Northland (2013). This was the true state championship in my eyes. Northland was undefeated and No. 1 in the state. In a season filled with lots of great wins, this was the most impressive. Northland was talented. Mentor won the game with tough defense, scoring in the paint, and hitting their free throws.

4) District final win over Glenville (2001). Back when the stands were packed for district finals at Euclid, this game had a fantastic atmosphere. This was the first season Krizancic won a district title at Mentor. The game was very intense and went to overtime.

5) District final win over Glenville (2006). After winning three straight district titles (2001-2003), Mentor was in a little slump having not won in 2004 and 2005. Down two with seconds left, sophomore sharp shooter Joey Meyer hit a three-point shot at the buzzer to win the game. It was the only district title for the well-deserved Adam May, one of the top scorers and players in Mentor history. Mentor lost in the next round, but it was an exciting buzzer beater three in a big tournament game.
Old 01-17-18, 08:50 PM
All American

IMO one of two coaches in NE Ohio that all others are judged (along with Flannery). He is as elite as they come. Congrats on an amazing accomplishment. I love the way most Mentor teams have played. They are usually fun to watch and very competitive against teams that many times have superior talent. He has the amazing ability to get more out of a player then the player ever thought they could give. His teams are always hard working and well conditioned. I would love to see what he would do with the elite talent other schools in the area have year in and year out. I think there is NO DOUBT the gym or court needs to have his name on it when he walks away.
Old 01-18-18, 10:26 AM
All Region

IMO, The one thing that really was amazing about Coach K is the state championship in 2013. His team that year did not have a single player that was selected to any of the all-state teams & they still beat some of the best teams in the state. That, to me, was the high lite of a great coaching career. I also agree with all of the comments posted above by B-ball216. I would be deeply disappointed if the school district does not honor him in a deserving way when he decides to retire.
Old 01-18-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
IMO, The one thing that really was amazing about Coach K is the state championship in 2013. His team that year did not have a single player that was selected to any of the all-state teams & they still beat some of the best teams in the state. That, to me, was the high lite of a great coaching career. I also agree with all of the comments posted above by B-ball216. I would be deeply disappointed if the school district does not honor him in a deserving way when he decides to retire.
Shortly after Mentor won, I went back and looked at the previous DI champions. I believe it has been a long time (if ever??) that a team that won the DI state title didn't have either a 1st/2nd team All-Ohio player OR a player that was going to play DI basketball in college. It was a very fun team to watch. Lots of length, athleticism, strength, and high basketball IQ. Besides the wins, my favorite memory of the season was the game against national power Huntington Prep, led by Andrew Wiggins. Mentor played them very tough. They had a chance to win with an inbound play in the closing seconds. That game, even in a loss, showed me the team had what it took to go all the way.
Old 01-18-18, 02:20 PM
All Region

I also looked back & discovered no one on that championship team made the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or special mention teams. Just proves u don’t need all- stars or super stars to be a winner. But u do need good coaches that get the most out of their players & build good basketball IQ & Coach/player relationships. I truly believe that is what the Mentor program is all about.
Old 01-19-18, 07:08 AM
All American

1234 - I was at the Huntington Prep game because VASJ played the game before. You guys were a bad inbounds pass at Fritts ankles away from the upset. He was wide open and would have laid it in with ease. That was one of the most enjoyable and hard fought games I ever witnessed.