Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: More important: league championship or a district title?
League Championship 9 22.50%
District Title 31 77.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-18, 05:36 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
More Important: League Championship or District Title?

Now that we are getting to the midpoint of the basketball season, what is more important to your school; a league championship or a district title?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-18, 05:38 PM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
Football league titles mean a bit more compared to all other sports but I feel district championships are more important because that means youíre 1 step closer to the pinnacle of your division. And donít get me wrong itís nice to win your league/conference at the end of the regular season but as I said winning a district title means more with it being a game closer to a state title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-18, 06:03 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
No contest....league titles are great, but you can't get to Columbus without a District title. Our HS has 3 state championships....but only won the league once. In the 7 years we've made to state, we have won the league 3 times.
Old 01-09-18, 08:03 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Depends on the district. League titles are always possible; get thrown in to a loaded district and not so realistic! Hell, went to regional final a few years ago after 5-15! That year the district was much softer than the conference (LOL!).
Old 01-09-18, 08:05 PM
Varsity

Matt Goeller is on a distinguished road
never understood the excitement over league championships.
Old 01-09-18, 08:12 PM
All World

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Why not get both?
Old 01-09-18, 11:10 PM
All District

usfldan is on a distinguished road
League championship by a lot.

The state tournament in Ohio is long, and the only milestone that would have meant anything to me when I played was getting to the semifinals. Short of that, I had no clue how far along we were. I know in basketball my junior year we made it Dayton- whether that was the district championship, sectional championship, regional championship, I had no clue. I just knew if we kept winning we would get closer to the final four (we didn't make it). My senior year in baseball we won a couple of games in the tournament, upset the team that won our league, and got a (silver) medal when we eventually lost. Again, I have no clue whether that was for being a district finalist or regional finalist.

But I know for a fact we won our league in basketball my junior and senior years.
Old 01-09-18, 11:44 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Imho- Winning the league meant more because these are teams you play every year. They are your rivals typically- in the bracket you may be playing a team you've never seen before.
Old 01-10-18, 12:42 AM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
When SVSM is in your district, league championships are heavily desired and coveted.
Old 01-10-18, 07:52 AM
All American

Myron is on a distinguished road
^^So true, in a lot of districts.

I always value league titles: 14-16 wins > 3 or 4 wins.
Old 01-10-18, 08:23 AM
All Ohio

bass10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post
^^So true, in a lot of districts.

I always value league titles: 14-16 wins > 3 or 4 wins.
First, win league, then district, then regional and of course state.
Old 01-10-18, 08:47 AM
All American

Zezzo! is on a distinguished road
I can understand the logic of thinking that a league championship is more important. The beauty of Ohio high school hoops is that everyone qualifies for the tournament so anything is possible. You may go winless in your league but win the state championship or go undefeated, win your league, get all the #1's that come with that(seed,State,etc.) and lose your first tournament game. That actually happened to Springboro in the early 2k or late 90's. So what did winning the league do?

On the flip-side, it also depends on the situation. You may have a growing program so the expectations may be lower, winning the league may be more attainable and realistic. So it depends on where the program is and the leader of that program it may not be ready to win a District title or beyond.
Old 01-10-18, 09:42 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
League Championship > District Championship
Regional Championship > League Championship (means you are going to state!)

It also depends on what district you're in, or your school's history. If you're in a school that has never won a district championship, winning Districts might be huge for your whole community and therefore could be considered "more important."

But if you're a school that has made it to State several times, then I could see winning your league - dominating your rivals and other local schools - being considered "more important" than a District Championship.
Old 01-10-18, 10:35 AM
All American

oxat622
I never understood why a district championship was so special that it warrants cutting the nets. It's just a step on the way to regionals.
Old 01-10-18, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
I never understood why a district championship was so special that it warrants cutting the nets. It's just a step on the way to regionals.
It's historic in nature.

Winning the District puts you in the 'Sweet-16'.

Back in the day the 'Sweet-16' all went to Columbus to play for the
State Title in that Class.

:>---

SALT
Old 01-10-18, 12:18 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
A few years back a local team opted not to cut down the nets for districts- they said it wasn't their goal and not time to celebrate yet. They accepted the trophy and the medals just skipped the 30 minute ladder and scissors routine. They got DESTROYED in the media/social sites for being disrespectful. I thought it was their prerogative and understood the rationale/mentality of it as far as motivating a team, others thought they were punks.
Old 01-10-18, 12:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopup View Post
It's historic in nature.

Winning the District puts you in the 'Sweet-16'.

Back in the day the 'Sweet-16' all went to Columbus to play for the
State Title in that Class.

:>---

SALT
That's how's it was where I grew up- it was the high light of the year and a huge arena was packed for 4 days!

Last edited by Kballer; 01-10-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-10-18, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
League Championship 6

District Title 20
Old 01-10-18, 03:24 PM
All American

League title= meat and potatoes
District title = dessert
Both are awesome, but meat and potatoes (league title) will sustain you; district is a great bonus!
Now regional title? That's a fancy dinner from soup to nuts out on the town!
Old 01-10-18, 03:31 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
League championship. It's more emblematic of excellence across a season (usually 10+ games over nearly three months), and typically involves needing multiple wins against rivals.

A lot of chance variables go into winning a district title and beyond. As mentioned above, you could have to beat Our Lady of St. Layup or the All-City High School that has an assembled roster of studs. Somebody with a poor record in a tough league (usually young and/or inexperienced) could get red hot going into the tournament and make a run. A key player could have an untimely injury (has happened at multiple schools I've worked at in their biggest tournament games to date). And perhaps the biggest variable of all is the single elimination factor. Any given night you could go down against somebody you beat 8-9 times out of 10.
Old 01-10-18, 11:48 PM
All Yappi

gobluetom can only hope to improve
LaSalle is in the toughest league in the state, so I would put GCL titles above district titles.
Old 01-11-18, 07:31 AM
Moderated User

AAUHoopsOnly is an unknown quantity at this point
Both of these feats should not really be celebrated, unless you are small school like Coventry/Springfield/Cloverleaf/Buckeye type that does usually have much success in athletics.
Old 01-11-18, 08:33 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobluetom View Post
LaSalle is in the toughest league in the state, so I would put GCL titles above district titles.
Nah! If they were playing in the toughest league in the state, they'd be playing in NEO!
Old 01-11-18, 09:23 AM
All Ohio

Youknow is on a distinguished road
If a league title hold more water to you than a district or regional then you need to re-evaluate your priorities. Itís should always be about winning the last game of the year
Old 01-11-18, 10:31 AM
All American

Bo Kimble is on a distinguished road
League titles have grown in importance because they are easier to win than in tournament play on an almost yearly basis in nearly all areas. For my money though, the tournament at the end always as a little more steam.
Old 01-11-18, 12:26 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
It would be nice to win your league and when the city championship. But you play for so much more when winning a district championship. You move on to the regional and possibly get to the final four. It will be so memorable if you can capture both.
Old 01-11-18, 06:13 PM
All District

trojandave is on a distinguished road
The Portsmouth Trojans have won 14 league championships in their history, but have made 15 state tournament appearances. Much rather have the trips to the state. League titles are nice, though, because it shows a consistently high level of play over the course of a season. In the tournament, as we all know, one bad night and you're out.........but there's no thrill like winning a district, regional, or state title.

For some schools, winning their league is probably more realistic than advancing far into the tournament. I can see how some would put a league title over tournament accomplishments.
Old 01-12-18, 06:47 AM
All American

cphslFan is on a distinguished road
League title. My alma mater made it to districts for the first time in ages a few years back.
Old 01-13-18, 05:05 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
I think it also depends on the league.
If your league has been basically the same teams for a long time and geographically close then i can see winning a league holding merit. Actually knowing the kids you beat is potential lifetime bragging rights. If your league is a collection of teams thrown together, relatively new and you have to Google map the teams you play-off then I can see how that championship mat be less significant.
Old 01-13-18, 05:37 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Might be different for a school vs. personal, fan vs. player.

As a fan I remember league more than post season but both would be rare anyhow. As a player I was in individual sports in high school. League didn't mean much. It was more how far could I go (also not terribly far, lol).

Unless there's a post season win against someone who went on to be famous, League means more at the bar stool. The crowds were bigger, wilder and more involved because the game was personal. You knew those people on the other side.