Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-17-17, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Solon Comets 2017-2018

I missed Solon's first two games so I waited to start this thread until I'd seen the team play a couple of times. This year's Comets were supposed to be good and so far, they have been. The Comets are 5-0 and are ranked 3rd in the Plain Dealer poll. Solon started the season by scoring 90-plus in blowouts over Beachwood, Twinsburg and Elyria. The Comets beat Euclid, 89-77 on Friday and followed with last night's 72-54 whipping of St. Ignatius.

Solon is led by its three 6-foot guards; senior Sincere Carry and juniors Michael Bekelja and Trent Williams. All three can score from anywhere on the floor. They're also adept passers and ball-handlers and disruptive defenders. Carry, in particular, does his thing with a crowd-pleasing flair.

Juniors Nick Close and David Marbury round out the starting five. Both guys are also footballers, and both stand about 6-3. They're the tallest guys on the team. Senior Ryan Bergen (6-2), who has started in the past, is the first man off the bench and provides instant offense and aggressive rebounding. Junior Brandon Brown, star of last year's JV, gets lots of playing time spelling Carry, Bekelja and Williams.

The Comets have been effective doing what they've always done since Tony DeCesare became coach: pressing defense, forcing turnovers to create easy baskets, and bombing away threes from the outside.

I couldn't make it to Euclid Friday. A couple of the hoops dads told me that it wasn't one of Solon's better games. The Comets weren't hitting enough threes and Euclid beat the Comets' press with a little too much success. Solon never grabbed control of the game until the fourth period.

Solon dominated St. Ignatius on Saturday. The Comets trailed just once, at 5-3 early on. From that point, Solon cranked up the three-point machine and led by 20 at halftime.

Comets stalled a bit in the second half. For some reason, both teams slowed the pace. Ignatius put their 6-9 kid, Davet, in at center, which discouraged Solon from driving to the hoop. So both teams spent most of the second half passing around the perimeter.

Sincere had 20 points for Solon and Bekelja added 19. Both guys are averaging over 20 points per game.

Last night's game drew a much bigger crowd than usual. And it wasn't only Solon and Ignatius fans. I saw jackets from maybe seven other schools. The game had a festive atmosphere and felt a bit like a district game.

Solon hosts arch-rival Mentor this Friday.

Go Comets!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-17, 05:30 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not seen Solon yet - but I will soon. I decided to see Mentor vs Shaker Friday over Solon vs Euclid. I heard that Solon is talented and based on their early games that seems to be the case. The only glaring weakness I was told that they have no height and might struggle against the teams that have talented bigs. I'm looking forward to checking them out.
Old 12-18-17, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I have not seen Solon yet - but I will soon. I decided to see Mentor vs Shaker Friday over Solon vs Euclid. I heard that Solon is talented and based on their early games that seems to be the case. The only glaring weakness I was told that they have no height and might struggle against the teams that have talented bigs. I'm looking forward to checking them out.
The lack of height is a big drawback. Most games, Solon finds a way to overcome that. But there's always that fear that, sooner or later, the Comets will run into a team with both size and talent, and it will be too much to handle. St. Ignatius was like that last year. They had the two big guys, who also happened to be the Cats' best all-around players. Solon just couldn't stop those guys inside. This year, Ignatius doesn't have the same height or experience, so the Comets handled them pretty easily.
Old 12-23-17, 10:24 AM
All Yappi

Solon improved to 6-0 with last night's 80-66 victory over visiting Mentor. The Comets are now 3-0 in GCC play, keeping pace with Shaker Heights, a team Solon will meet in early January.

Last night's win was keyed by the excellent play of Solon's three guards: Sincere Carry, Trent Williams and Michael Bekelja. With Solon trailing early in the second period, Carry returned to the floor after a short rest and sparked a Comet rally with a flurry of steals and blocked shots. Solon quickly regained the lead and never gave it up. Sincere's shot wasn't falling early on, but Bekelja kept the Comets close with 11 first-period points, then Williams found his three point stroke and Solon extended its lead to 37-29 at the half.

Carry broke out of his scoring slump in the second half. Sincere padded the lead by driving the lane and scoring in transition. Eventually, he regained his touch from outside.

Trent led Solon with 25 points. Sincere finished with 21 and Michael B tallied 15. I don't know how many points Nick Close had, but he had a terrific all-around game. Nick had a big night rebounding and he caused Mentor havoc with some outstanding interior defense. This was his best varsity game, at least that I've seen.

It was a fun game to watch. Both teams play a similar style, so fans saw a lot of aggressive, pressing defense on both sides, with plenty of turnovers, lots of threes hoisted up and easy baskets set up by some great passes.

Mentor forward Tadas Tatarunas got into some foul trouble, but he had a good game nonetheless. He's a tough inside scorer. Caden Kryz, who killed Solon in last year's Euclid district, hit some big shots for the Cards.

It was nice to see cardzfan1234 and talk Solon and Mentor stuff at halftime.

Solon meets Brush next Wednesday at Garfield Heights. No GCC games until after the New Year.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
Old 12-28-17, 10:26 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
I have to say, this team is pretty impressive. They're well coached, do enough on the defensive end, and are very, very tough. They play much bigger than they are; even though their size is their weak link, they dominated on the boards against two teams with a significant size increase (Mentor & Brush) and "out-physicaled" them.

They way that they play is so fun to watch; Sincere really makes that team go, and is one of the truest PGs I've seen at the HS level in a long time. I didn't realize until I saw them in person just how many ways they can beat you. They're extremely athletic and can really shoot it. After seeing Heights, Brush, and Mentor, I've gotta think they are clearly the favorite to come out of Euclid.
Old 12-28-17, 11:38 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Another impressive win for the Comets. They took it to Mentor and Brush, two of their challengers at Euclid. When the Comets are shooting well, they are tough to beat. Trent Williams has really come out of nowhere to be a real difference maker. Sincere is quite a PG. I'm surprised he didn't want to wait and see if he could get an offer from the MAC or something.
Old 12-30-17, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

I really wanted to see the Solon-Brush game but unfortunately, my work schedule got changed, so I had to miss it. I wish I'd been there. Solon scored 100 points against a good Brush team. Five players scored in double figures. And although it probably doesn't mean much, the Comets beat Brush by a greater margin than St. Edward did.

While it's true that recent wins over Mentor and Brush point in Solon's favor regarding the Euclid district, let's not forget Mentor's three-point fest in last year's district final. The Cards are more than capable of repeating that performance.

Shaker Heights played Cleveland Heights at Garfield just before the Solon-Brush game. Shaker put up 99 points and did it without making a three-pointer. Solon hosts Medina next Friday, then travels to Shaker on Jan. 9 for the showdown with the Red Raiders.

Here are the current GCC standings:

Solon - 3-0
Shaker - 3-0
Brunswick - 2-1
Elyria - 2-1
Mentor - 1-2
Euclid - 1-2
Medina - 0-3
Strongsville - 0-3
Old 12-30-17, 01:33 PM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Hope all is well and congratulations to Solon on the great start, Meta! Looks like the Comets will be a very tough out come March. Good luck the rest of the way!
Old 01-06-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchsman View Post
Hope all is well and congratulations to Solon on the great start, Meta! Looks like the Comets will be a very tough out come March. Good luck the rest of the way!

Everything's going great, lchsman!! Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. The Comets are looking good but they've got some tough competition in the GCC from Shaker, Brunswick and Mentor.

It's nice to see Lake Catholic doing well. This looks like the Cougars best team in years. I hope they win their division.
Old 01-06-18, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Solon improved to 8-0 with last night's 79-56 home victory over Medina. The Comets whipped the Bees with their usual formula: pressing defense, easy transition baskets and a bombardment of three-pointers.

The Comets never trailed last night, as they coasted to leads of 19-10 after one period and 42-20 at the half. Junior Trent Williams was Solon's ace bombadier, with 26 points. I don't have access to game stats, but I'll bet Trent hit seven three-pointers. Michael Bekelja was also on-target, with 21 points. Michael B also excelled defensively. Sincere Carry had an atypically quiet game, at least on offense, with 14 points. Sincere just didn't take many shots. But he was a factor on defense and on the boards. Nick Close had another fine all-around game, with 10 points, beaucoup rebounds and solid interior defense. Most of Close's points came inside off great feeds Carry or Bekelja, but Nick still had to put the ball through the hoop, and he did just that.

Despite last night's one-sided score, the Comets weren't at their best. One got the feeling that Solon could have gone for the kill, but didn't. Comets turned the ball over too much and a couple of guys had poor shooting nights.

Medina hung around for much of the second half. To the Bees' credit, they never stopped scrapping, and they also shot fairly well the outside.

Solon lost twice to Medina last year, so I'm sure the Comets are happy to get the W.

Solon visits Shaker Tuesday for the big,big showdown with the Red Raiders.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-20-18 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-06-18, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

For what it's worth, Solon has scored at least 72 points in all eight of its games.
Old 01-07-18, 03:16 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
I'm really excited for the game Tuesday night between Shaker and Solon.

The Red Raiders are doing really well, but they'll have to play without senior forward Christian Guess, as he will be serving the last of his two-game suspension for getting ejected against Elyria on Friday night.

Hopefully the game has really good attendance, as both schools are in the Top 4 in the Cleveland.com Top 25, and may or may not determine who wins the GCC.
Old 01-08-18, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red Raider View Post
I'm really excited for the game Tuesday night between Shaker and Solon.

The Red Raiders are doing really well, but they'll have to play without senior forward Christian Guess, as he will be serving the last of his two-game suspension for getting ejected against Elyria on Friday night.

Hopefully the game has really good attendance, as both schools are in the Top 4 in the Cleveland.com Top 25, and may or may not determine who wins the GCC.

I wish I could be there but I've got to work Tuesday night. I tried to switch schedules with some co-workers but couldn't do it. I hope someone else can provide a write-up.

Sorry to see that Guess is out. From what I read, Shaker might have beaten St. Edward if he'd played. I suppose his absence also explains Shaker's surprisingly close score vs. Elyria.
Old 01-08-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I wish I could be there but I've got to work Tuesday night. I tried to switch schedules with some co-workers but couldn't do it. I hope someone else can provide a write-up.

Sorry to see that Guess is out. From what I read, Shaker might have beaten St. Edward if he'd played. I suppose his absence also explains Shaker's surprisingly close score vs. Elyria.
I didn't realize that Guess was out of the St Eds game. That was pretty close. I think the Eagles were still missing their top player too though.

It was just one game, but against Mentor it looked like there was a big drop off in indvidual playmaking beyond Guess. I think Solon had a great chance to beat Shaker with Guess, but without him I think it should be a win for the Comets. Should be a good once to decide who has the edge to win the league.
Old 01-09-18, 10:17 PM
All Ohio

I was at the game Tuesday night, and Solon definitely played well, winning 87-71.

The first quarter was close, but late in the second quarter, Solon really started to pull away, and something really bizarre happened at halftime. I'll PM anyone who wants to know specifically what happened, but the police were there and it created quite a bit of tension.

Once that got settled, Solon picked up where they left off, and pulled away. Shaker Heights really felt the absence of Chris Guess tonight.

Trent Williams, Mike Bekelja, and Sincere Carry shot really well, and Brandon Brown contributed in a big way off the bench.

This Solon team is legit. I think they're better than last year's team. They were working on all cylinders. They have a big game at Brunswick, and that's not an easy environment to play at.
Old 01-10-18, 01:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was at the game Tuesday night, and Solon definitely played well, winning 87-71.

The first quarter was close, but late in the second quarter, Solon really started to pull away, and something really bizarre happened at halftime. I'll PM anyone who wants to know specifically what happened, but the police were there and it created quite a bit of tension.

Once that got settled, Solon picked up where they left off, and pulled away. Shaker Heights really felt the absence of Chris Guess tonight.

Trent Williams, Mike Bekelja, and Sincere Carry shot really well, and Brandon Brown contributed in a big way off the bench.

This Solon team is legit. I think they're better than last year's team. They were working on all cylinders. They have a big game at Brunswick, and that's not an easy environment to play at.
The Comets are definitely better than last year. Solon played hot-and-cold last year, as most teams do. This season, an off-night means Solon only wins by 12 or 15. I keep waiting for an opponent to test the Comets with both height and skill, but it hasn't happened yet. But that test is coming. In a few weeks, Solon faces unbeaten Stow with their two 6-8 kids. And the Comets visit St. Edward next month. By then we'll all know what sort of tournament team Solon should be.
Old 01-10-18, 01:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I heard some details from a friend who was there. He told me that it was an inside matter for Shaker, and that it had nothing to do with Solon. Still, if Shaker doesn't get that situation under control, it could affect the Raiders down the road.
Old 01-10-18, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

For those who don't know, Solon is ranked fifth in the AP Ohio Division 1 boys basketball poll. Of course, the poll lists Solon with a 9-1 record, instead of its actual 8-0 mark preceding the Shaker game. The Comets even got two first place votes.
Old 01-11-18, 12:58 AM
Freshman

dking1108 is on a distinguished road
Honestly how does Carry not have multiple D-1 offers?
Old 01-11-18, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

As good as Solon is, they are playing without David Gulley. He decided to transfer to Lutheran East and sit out half a season. I thought Gulley was the second best player on Solon last year. I only watched Solon during the two Mentor games, so my scope was limited. He was a great shooter and would be another big time scorer for the Comets.

Solon will be an interesting team to watch come tournament time. A lack of size is their biggest weakness, but they can overcome some of that with their three point shooting.
Old 01-11-18, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dking1108 View Post
Honestly how does Carry not have multiple D-1 offers?
I don't know what, if any, D1 offers Sincere has gotten. I heard Kent was interested in him but Sincere and his family wanted no part of the Flashes. Sincere is headed to West Liberty State in West Virginia, a D2 power. That's where he really wants to go.
Old 01-11-18, 03:47 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
As good as Solon is, they are playing without David Gulley. He decided to transfer to Lutheran East and sit out half a season. I thought Gulley was the second best player on Solon last year. I only watched Solon during the two Mentor games, so my scope was limited. He was a great shooter and would be another big time scorer for the Comets.

Solon will be an interesting team to watch come tournament time. A lack of size is their biggest weakness, but they can overcome some of that with their three point shooting.
I wish Gulley would have stayed at Solon. I heard that he transferred because he was concerned about playing time. But he started most games last year. Watching the team play this year, the bench seems about one good player shorter than I'd like it to be. Gulley would have made a huge difference.
Old 01-11-18, 03:51 PM
All Yappi

I didn't mean to shortchange any team in our league yesterday. Solon's got a tough game at Brunswick on Friday (weather permitting), and B-Wick usually gives the Comets all sorts of trouble. Solon finally won a game vs. the Devils last year, after about a three-year drought. Brunswick is a very good team; I believe they're 7-2 overall.

And the Comets get a return match with Shaker and this time, they'll get Christian Guess up close and personal. Lots of tough games ahead for the Comets.

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-11-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:30 PM
All Yappi

Last night's game at Brunswick was postponed and has been rescheduled for Monday, February 5. Monday???!!!???
Old 01-16-18, 02:06 PM
All Yappi

Solon is now ranked #2 in this week's AP Ohio D1 poll. I know that previous #1 Upper Arlington lost; I'm not sure what else might have happened to move the Comets up three spots.

The Comets visit D4 power Cornerstone Christian tonight up in Willoughby (I think the school's in Willoughby, anyway). I won't be there because I've got to work tonight. A couple of friends will be there, so maybe I can get enough info to write something up tomorrow.

Go Comets!!!

Last edited by Metacomet; 01-20-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-20-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

Solon rolled to an 88-57 victory over GCC cellar-dweller Strongsville last night. Such an outcome was expected. However, the manner in which the Comets won was completely unexpected. Undefeated Solon struggled into the second half, even briefly falling behind the Mustangs early in the third quarter, before going on a tear in the game's final twelve minutes.

Solon is now 6=0 in GCC play; 11-0 overall. I believe Strongsville still has just one win.

For much of last night's game, Comet fans wondered if a bunch of imposters had replaced their team. Solon usually takes its opponents out of the game before halftime. But the Comets couldn't shake the Mustangs. Strongsville wasn't intimidated by Solon's defensive pressure. The Mustangs beat the Comet press repeatedly. And Solon had trouble scoring inside against the Mustangs' taller frontcourt. The Comets hit some three-pointers but didn't do much else.

Solon had a narrow 32-28 lead at halftime. Strongsville took the lead in the third period; I believe at 43-42. But that's when Sincere Carry took over the game.

Up to that point, Sincere had been one of the few Comets having a good game. But once Solon fell behind, Sincere went into overdrive. He fueled a rally by forcing some turnovers, then popping a few quick threes. The Comets turned a deficit into a 60-45 lead after three period. Carry had scored 30 of Solon's 60 points.

Once the Comets grabbed momentum, everybody's shots started falling. And the defense started forcing some turnovers. Solon cleared the bench with about three minutes left and the subs kept hitting shots. I want to mention Justin Lumpkin, Brandon Brown and Khalil Jones for their fine play off the bench.

Sincere finished with 33. Trent Williams added 18. Those were the only two Comets in double figures. Bernie McGivern led Strongsville with 24. He played a heckuva game and he was the biggest reason the Mustangs stayed in the contest as long as they did.

I couldn't make it to Cornerstone Tuesday but I heard that the Comets just took that game over about the start of the second period. Solon just had too much speed. I was told that Sincere had a big night, but so did everyone else. Five Comets scored in double figures. Nice writeup in the PD, too (not).

Solon hosts Willoughby South Tuesday then plays a roadie at Elyria next Friday.
Old 01-20-18, 11:46 AM
All American

mustang fan is on a distinguished road
"...I believe Strongsville still has just one win..."

The district's website shows a December 23 win by the Mustangs over Avon...And it does also show a winning score against Medina as well on January 9, however, the website also shows that game postponed?!
Old 01-20-18, 12:07 PM
All District

CCA Fan is on a distinguished road
SOLON DESTROYED us last Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Solon rolled to an 88-57 victory over GCC cellar-dweller Strongsville last night. Such an outcome was expected. However, the manner in which the Comets won was completely unexpected. Undefeated Solon struggled into the second half, even briefly falling behind the Mustangs early in the third quarter, before going on a tear in the game's final twelve minutes.

Solon is now 6=0 in GCC play; 11-0 overall. I believe Strongsville still has just one win.

For much of last night's game, Comet fans wondered if a bunch of imposters had replaced their team. Solon usually takes its opponents out of the game before halftime. But the Comets couldn't shake the Mustangs. Strongsville wasn't intimidated by Solon's defensive pressure. The Mustangs beat the Comet press repeatedly. And Solon had trouble scoring inside against the Mustangs' taller frontcourt. The Comets hit some three-pointers but didn't do much else.

Solon had a narrow 32-28 lead at halftime. Strongsville took the lead in the third period; I believe at 43-42. But that's when Sincere Carry took over the game.

Up to that point, Sincere had been one of the few Comets having a good game. But once Solon fell behind, Sincere went into overdrive. He fueled a rally by forcing some turnovers, then popping a few quick threes. The Comets turned a deficit into a 60-45 lead after three period. Carry had scored 30 of Solon's 60 points.

Once the Comets grabbed momentum, everybody's shots started falling. And the defense started forcing some turnovers. Solon cleared the bench with about three minutes left and the subs kept hitting shots. I want to mention Justin Lumpkin, Brandon Brown and Khalil Jones for their fine play off the bench.

Sincere finished with 33. Trent Williams added 18. Those were the only two Comets in double figures. Bernie McGivern led Strongsville with 24. He played a heckuva game and he was the biggest reason the Mustangs stayed in the contest as long as they did.

I couldn't make it to Cornerstone Tuesday but I heard that the Comets just took that game over about the start of the second period. Solon just had too much speed. I was told that Sincere had a big night, but so did everyone else. Five Comets scored in double figures. Nice writeup in the PD, too (not).

Solon hosts Willoughby South Tuesday then plays a roadie at Elyria next Friday.
Solon is for real. Players stronger than a year ago, multiple shooters. I think a St. Eds will give them real trouble because they can guard the perimeter well and they have an inside presence. They do not impress you looking at them but DeCesar? Has done a phenomenal job, #1 is outstanding and Sincere is a D1 point guard.
Old 01-21-18, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

I could feasibly see Solon running the table until at least Feb. 5 at Brunswick or Feb. 6 against Stow.

I believe that Sincere Carry committed to West Liberty some time ago, but he is a legitimate D1 point guard. With the amount of talent they have, and the impressive coaching job they've done, they will only get better.
Old 01-22-18, 10:28 PM
All Ohio

stoike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I could feasibly see Solon running the table until at least Feb. 5 at Brunswick or Feb. 6 against Stow.

I believe that Sincere Carry committed to West Liberty some time ago, but he is a legitimate D1 point guard. With the amount of talent they have, and the impressive coaching job they've done, they will only get better.
I will be surprised if the Comets lose more than one more game, and would not be surprised at all if they run the table. They have a great point guard and a ton of good talent around him, and most importantly, they play well together as a team, and play smart basketball. (see *Cavs as example otherwise)
Stow has talent to match...3 future Div-I and one Div-II college player in the starting lineup, but like last year's team (though to a lesser extent) seem to underachieve a bit, not always playing smart basketball. With a great coach, it makes me scratch my head a little bit.
Brunswick is a beast!