Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-18, 09:01 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Not a good evening for Lake Catholic against Benny last night but then again Luke Frazier didn't play. Kind of a shame that this game was moved from a Friday too as the crowd was not as electric. Hopefully the game in Mentor in a couple weeks will be a better test for both side.
Old 01-10-18, 11:26 AM
All Region

Cougar Nation is on a distinguished road
Certainly hope that having starters Luke Frazier and Brandon Horton, and reserve Robert Morgan back makes the rematch a little more competitive. Benedictine is tough, no doubt about it.
Old 01-11-18, 06:25 AM
All World

lchsman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Nation View Post
Certainly hope that having starters Luke Frazier and Brandon Horton, and reserve Robert Morgan back makes the rematch a little more competitive. Benedictine is tough, no doubt about it.
The Cougars will be fine. Even though this game was never in doubt, I thought LC played tough considering the circumstances.

Benedictine is a very talented team and they will make noise in that Euclid District.
Old 01-25-18, 11:11 AM
All World

We will know much more about this team next week. Gilmour on Sunday at JCU, at Hoban Tuesday night, Benedictine at Lake Friday, and a Saturday day game at home against Kiski Prep. Hoban was without one of their studs the first time these teams met and I believe Hoban has steamrolled everyone they’ve played since losing to Lake. And Lake was without 2 starters against Benedictine a couple weeks ago. Don’t know anything about Kiski Prep. Should be a fun week of hoops.
Old 01-25-18, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to the Hoban rematch with Lake. The first game Lake played very well and Hoban played the absolute worst game I have seen them play in past 4 years. Not taking away from Lake, they took it to the Knights. Hoban does have St V transfer 6’3 in the line up now which should help against Lake’s length. Good luck.
Old 01-25-18, 12:09 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm still shaking my head over the score of that first game. I know Lake was good but that margin over Hoban was a bit of a surprise. Hoban seems to be playing pretty good now with a recent win over a solid Benedictine squad. I expect a dog fight between VASJ and Hoban at the D4D tourney Sunday. It will sort of show what Joe's is made of coming off a Saturday night game with Ed's and their starting center out with a concussion. I spoke with some Gilmor kids Tuesday and they said Hoban played well and beat the Lancers by 13. I still expect Lake to defend their home floor - just by a closer margin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 01-25-18, 03:30 PM
All Ohio

Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
First game with Hoban was at Lake. So this will be on the Knights home turf. Hoban was up on Gilmour by 20 when they subbed out. Game ended up 72-57.
Old 01-27-18, 07:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I'm still shaking my head over the score of that first game. I know Lake was good but that margin over Hoban was a bit of a surprise. Hoban seems to be playing pretty good now with a recent win over a solid Benedictine squad. I expect a dog fight between VASJ and Hoban at the D4D tourney Sunday. It will sort of show what Joe's is made of coming off a Saturday night game with Ed's and their starting center out with a concussion. I spoke with some Gilmor kids Tuesday and they said Hoban played well and beat the Lancers by 13. I still expect Lake to defend their home floor - just by a closer margin.

Now I’m shaking my head...Hoban goes down last night to Walsh???
Old 01-27-18, 08:55 AM
All World

I thought the first meeting was at Hoban - my bad. People forget these are kids. It's so hard to keep teams focused. Example: Last Saturday VASJ beat STA by 68. Cornerstone beat Garfield Heights by 21. Cornerstone goes to STA a few days later and only wins by 13. Beat Garfield by more than a bad STA team = head shaker.

I'm looking forward to the Lake vs Gilmour game. The Lancers have a nice squad. Lake is a good team with solid coaching. They have seemed pretty consistent when at full strength. Nothing has changed. I still feel it's between Lake and Joe's at districts. The regular season game will just be a preview of what could be an great battle to move on.

Old 01-30-18, 09:08 AM
All World

Interesting to see how this team responds tonight after their tough loss on Sunday. Still can’t believe Hoban lost to Walsh on Friday. When I saw Walsh, I was not impressed. Then Hoban beats up VASJ two days later.

If Lake does win tonight, the winner on Friday night between Lake and Benedictine will most likely win the NCL.
Old 01-30-18, 02:27 PM
Junior Varsity

SummitCo is on a distinguished road
Walsh gym is tough to win in. Depth is always off for shooters.
Old 01-30-18, 04:06 PM
Varsity

StowInTheKnow is on a distinguished road
Moran not his best v Gilmour. No subs. Ran kids till they were dead
Old 01-31-18, 07:25 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Lost to Hoban in the rematch. Will need to get past VASJ and STVM to advance
Old 02-02-18, 10:24 PM
All World

Was following the game on Twitter tonight. Looks like Lake blew a big lead in the second half. I was surprised by the halftime score. Was it a case of Lake playing well or Benny being off. It sounds like the Bengals played Benny basketball in the second half. Tough loss for Lake and a solid road win for Benny in a place that is not the easiest to play at when the students are into it.
Old 02-02-18, 10:37 PM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
Lake built that halftime lead with rebounding and defense.Transition points.Benedictine played with more urgency and applied the full court pressure to kick start the second half comeback.In the end Benedictine played at a pace that was too quick for Lake.Once they hit a few three's and got running it was just a matter of time.VASJ better get running,press the action,and find someone to neutralize Eller inside or we will be in trouble.Our rebounding and interior defense has been spotty at best.
Old 02-03-18, 07:26 AM
All World

Don't forget that Joe's has been playing without their starting center. He is back. I expect a battle when Joe's and Lake meet and it's looking more and more like it will be for the 1 seed. That may not have been the case a few weeks ago but now that Lake has some losses as does Joe's the head to head may carry a lot more weight.
Old 02-03-18, 09:51 AM
All Region

James x2 is on a distinguished road
I know we are missing our center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
Don't forget that Joe's has been playing without their starting center. He is back. I expect a battle when Joe's and Lake meet and it's looking more and more like it will be for the 1 seed. That may not have been the case a few weeks ago but now that Lake has some losses as does Joe's the head to head may carry a lot more weight.
What is the timetable for his return? Eller is like a 6'7 point forward.His shot was off but he blocks/disrupts about any shot in his zipcode.One of our interior guys(no names) plays scared and gets pushed around a lot.Another who is 6'7 himself has not accerted himself considering his athletic abilities.
Old 02-03-18, 10:23 AM
All World

He is back. Missed the 3 games last week.

Old 02-03-18, 12:13 PM
All Region

Cougar Nation is on a distinguished road
I think what Lake Catholic is lacking is the senior leadership. When the game got tight, Lake panicked and committed alot of errors and turnovers. The senior point guard for Lake missed all last year due to injury. There really is no one to take over in these 4th quarter tight games. With Frazier and Eller being sophomores, they are just now starting to get "big game" experience. The senior guard from Benedictine took over the game in the 4th quarter and practically carried them on his back to victory.
Old 02-07-18, 09:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Nation View Post
I think what Lake Catholic is lacking is the senior leadership. When the game got tight, Lake panicked and committed alot of errors and turnovers. The senior point guard for Lake missed all last year due to injury. There really is no one to take over in these 4th quarter tight games. With Frazier and Eller being sophomores, they are just now starting to get "big game" experience. The senior guard from Benedictine took over the game in the 4th quarter and practically carried them on his back to victory.
Very good post. Games like these however only make teams better. Even though Lake had a rough week going 1-3, the Hoban and Benedictine game were both winnable games. The Gilmour game by far was the worst game Lake played all season and they clawed their way back to only be trailing by 1 heading to the 4th quarter.

The Cougars will be just fine. I like the remainder of the schedule with Padua and VASJ this weekend, travel to Walsh next Friday night, and then close out the last week of the regular season with a good Holy Name team and NDCL.

Lake will be battle tested and ready for Ashtabula.
Old 02-07-18, 09:45 AM
All World

Speaking of Ashtabula, voting begins today and ends Friday night for the seeding of the district so the outcome on Saturday night against VASJ will have no bearing on where these teams end up.
Old 02-07-18, 09:50 AM
All Yappi

Kind of late to this game but did any Cougar fans notice a little back and forth on Twitter between the Benny and Lake staffs? Basically Moran said they were the better team and should have won, then a Benny assistant fires back about scoreboard and that in this one Benny's best player was missing. Don't see this much in HS basketball.
Old 02-07-18, 10:20 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
Kind of late to this game but did any Cougar fans notice a little back and forth on Twitter between the Benny and Lake staffs? Basically Moran said they were the better team and should have won, then a Benny assistant fires back about scoreboard and that in this one Benny's best player was missing. Don't see this much in HS basketball.
Want to correct you on a couple things...this is what Moran said to the News-Herald, not on Twitter...https://t.co/YEomxpvDku

“Let’s be honest, we were the better team tonight,” Moran said. “It came down to we couldn’t hit foul shots. For 3 1/2 quarters we did exactly what we wanted to do, they were able to chip away when we couldn’t convert and we’ve got to learn from it.”

Then some clown assistant coach for Benedictine (@Coach2Win_Mike)tweeted this out referring to the last paragraph of the News-Herald article and then deleted his tweet an hour later...

“Hey Coach Moran...We were the better team the first meeting and TONIGHT! Not to mention we were missing our starting guard.
#SlowYourRole
Actually, I’ll be honest, we have been the better team for the past 3 years. 6-0.”

Moran has way more class than that and would never comment on any social networking platform, especially with an idiot like this.
Old 02-07-18, 10:36 AM
All Yappi

Not sure Moran should have made that comment lch, anything that starts with "let's be honest" usually isn't very good to put on the record. And most know in this day and age that this will makes its way to some sort of social networking platforms link so Moran knew what he was doing.
Old 02-07-18, 10:42 AM
All World

^^^^

If you think Moran is at fault for his comments, I really don’t know what to tell you. And I’m assuming you were not at the game, because let’s be honest...LC was the better team for 3 1/2 quarters. That’s the beauty of basketball. Give credit to the Bengals for coming back and getting the win.

So what about your coach’s comments...that’s what was deleted. Why?
Old 02-07-18, 10:59 AM
All Yappi

But LC lost, so technically they were not the better team. So why even fire off that comment? Not say at all the Benny assistant should have posted something like that and he was very stupid to do it but the first shot was fired by Moran.
Old 02-07-18, 07:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
But LC lost, so technically they were not the better team. So why even fire off that comment? Not say at all the Benny assistant should have posted something like that and he was very stupid to do it but the first shot was fired by Moran.
If you believe that was a “shot” at Benedictine, I really don’t know what to say. I guess we can just agree to disagree. Congratulations on the win and good luck the rest of the way.
Old 02-10-18, 10:08 PM
All World

Round one goes to Joe's. These teams will meet again in districts. Tough road win for VASJ in a playoff atmosphere. Next game will on a neutral court.
Old 02-11-18, 05:34 AM
All World

Congratulations to VASJ on the impressive win. The Viking defense played well last night. Nice to see Lake claw back from down 11 in the 4th to have a chance at the end. A great regular season game atmosphere that should happen every year.

See you in a couple weeks.
Old 02-11-18, 08:38 AM
All World

Great battle last night. Jerry Higgins and the young athletic Vikings against Lake's two super sophomores. VASJ really locked in on defense but a few missed layups and foul shots made the game a lot closer then it needed to be. You cannot give a team like Lake a window to win late in the game - they are to well coached and talented. When you have them down you have to finish them off. I thought the 4 3's #1 hit last night were huge. Every time Joe's started to pull away by double digits this kid would bring it back to single digits with a dagger from the corner. Like always the difference is Higgins. He is a force on both ends of the floor and seems to will his squad to wins. Lake is a tough place to win at when the students show up like they did last night. These are the kind of games and atmospheres that are going to pay dividends come playoff time. The two freshman guards got valuable experience last night for the Vikings. I don't see any teams in the Lakeside District that will challenge these two squads. If you liked last nights game - just wait a month.