Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-10-18, 12:56 PM
Varsity

OHIOVSTW419 is on a distinguished road
2018 DIII Toledo District @ Central Catholic

Very interesting district shaping up as expected with the addition of Archbold, especially. District looks to be a little more top heavy than I thought it would, but I expect a couple teams such as Evergreen, Rossford and Gibsonburg will be tougher outs than their records indicate.

Stritch 11-1
Archbold 7-2
Genoa 7-3
Otsego 7-3
Woodmore 7-2
Eastwood 6-2
Lake 5-8
Swanton 4-6
Evergreen 3-5
Liberty Center 3-6
Rossford 2-9
Gibsonburg 2-6
Delta 2-7
Northwood 1-9
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-18, 01:24 PM
All District

Cardboard Palace is on a distinguished road
With 14 teams I assume only the top 2 teams will get a bye.

Stritch has tough games vs Toledo Christian and Maumee Valley.

Archbold has a toss up game vs Wauseon.

Genoa could win out.

Otsego, Woodmore and Eastwood are fighting for a seed.

Seeding votes are based on record, margin etc. A coach may vote a team #1, but when it comes down to placing their team they may turn around and go after #1 to avoid a match up they don't like with #2. The interesting thing will be which side of the bracket the odd men out for the 4 seed and a team like Evergreen place themselves.
Old 01-10-18, 02:30 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
If the draw was today, it's Stritch, Archbold in a toss up for the 1 seed.....followed by Genoa then everybody else. If Genoa can get their offense a little more consistent I think it's a 3 team battle for a trip to the BG regional...if not, it's the Streaks or Stritch moving on. I really don't see anyone else being a real threat to the top 3....at least as of right now
Old 01-20-18, 06:03 PM
All Region

Smalls is on a distinguished road
Stritch's win vs Cornerstone just got more impressive. Cornerstone beat Garfield Heights last night by 21. Garfield may just have the best collection of talent in the entire state.
Old 01-20-18, 10:07 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Hard to say. Just reading the threads, Cornerstone also just got blasted. Thread says Solon was up 50 on them. Team over talent I suppose.

Losing nearly twenty points between meetings with TC would probably be the only measuring stick anyone would seriously be looking at.
Old 01-21-18, 10:06 AM
All Region

Hard to gain much from a highlight video, but here is a look at Cornerstone vs Garfield Heights. Garfield has 3 high major recruits and 3 other D1 mid major recruits. Even if they are a mess right now you have to be good to put it on them like that.

Stritch vs TC was a well played game from both teams. I can't say Stritch got 20 points worse. I think TC did a great job of working the clock and limiting possessions and Stritch shot well and limited turnovers. A lot of credit has to go to TC for a great game.

There have been 4 games that I would say Stritch didn't play to their potential. Evergreen, Central (4th quarter), Notre Dame Cathedral Latin and Gibsonburg (1st half), but you have to give those teams credit for taking somethings away. 3 of those 4 games were in a 4 game stretch. Some adjustments appear to have been made.

Correction, Stritch shot well in the 1st half. Not so much in the 2nd.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-21-18 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

spin it anyway it makes your day go better but they lost 20 points between the two games. That has to be the focus or they'll lose more. Would any competant coach think otherwise? Any adjustments made by CS apparently are not keeping up with the adjustments made by TC. It's simple numbers.

As for Cornerstone and GH, they're not measuring sticks for anything. They've shown obvious inconsistencies, days when they'll show up and days when they don't. A small team from a small town they'd never heard of might not have mattered to Cornerstone or its players. That has to be considered or you risk bloat in the heads of your players. That game meant and means, nothing.

The only measuring stick of note has been TC and Stritch is suffering shrinkage. All due respect, you've previously indicated some personal investment in Stritch's team but come out of the cold and recognize the reality. The players if they have brains will respect reality and truth more than hype and marketing, anyday. They were either severely out-talented, which we know wasn't true. That recruiting was has been clearly won by CS. Or they were out coached. The only shame would be not recognizing it and not being prepared next time. There's some good teams in the division that will be looking at that tape.
Old 01-21-18, 11:46 AM
All Region

Just a fan with a close rooting interest. Not a coach. If I do talk to any players I remind them that they were a banked 3/couple OT games of being out at the district level last year. There are several teams in their district who can bite them.

I am sure they dont even know about this site or are concerned about the thoughts/posts of an old man discussing their potential. They get a lot more sunshine blown up their butts from the news and BCSN. Most of Stritch's games have been on local TV, so anyone can see them. Everyone also knows all the teams on their schedule with the exception of Cornerstone, a D4 team that plays a great schedule vs top D1 schools, who someone had questioned in another thread because of their record.......so I gave some background.

I think I have been pretty realistic on here and post about was has happened and have not said they will win this or that. Heck I'm concerned about whoever they draw in the 1st round. Otsego had them beat last year and they could have easily been 1 and done.

Last edited by Smalls; 01-21-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 06:36 PM
Varsity

Trending up-
Stritch-Whether by 1 or 100 they win the last marquee matchup on their schedule pre draw.
Archbold lost its chance to leap IMO losing to Wauseon. Cards lock #1 seed.

Genoa-Comets making a push for 2 seed. Need to make a statement against Rossford coming up who has been playing well and against Clyde in OOC

Otsego-Winners of 5 straight. Avenged earlier loss to spiraling Lake by throttling them. Have two huge games this week against Eastwood on Tuesday and Woodmore on Thursday

Evergreen-Got on a little run before dropping close game to a very good Pettisville team. Thinking the Vikes will be a thorn in someone’s side.
Old 01-21-18, 10:52 PM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
I think you're right that Cardinal Stritch will be the #1 seed. But I don't see Genoa passing Archbold for the #2 seed. While Genoa doesn't have any bad losses, I can't see how Archbold losing to Wauseon twice and O-G once would drop them below Genoa. Consider also that Genoa lost to Wauseon by 28 points. Archbold lost to them the first time by 6 (and were down only 1 with about 45 seconds to go), and by 11 points this past weekend when Wauseon shot almost 70% for the game. In the game against O-G, Archbold had the lead by 1 until O-G scored 6 points in the final 4 seconds of the game in kind of a crazy finish. That said, I look for Genoa to be the #3 seed (at this point at least), and if it plays out this way, it will be very interesting to see whose bracket they choose to go into -- Archbold's or CS's.
Old 01-22-18, 09:05 AM
All District

Updated through 1/21. Tournament draw Feb 11.

Games remaining before draw and Games vs teams with winning records before draw.

Stritch 14-1; (4) Ottawa Hill 7-5, Maumee Valley 9-3
Archbold 9-3; (6) Stryker 9-4, Tinora 8-5
Genoa 10-3; (6) Eastwood 7-3, Clyde 7-5, Otsego 9-3, Woodmore 9-2
Woodmore 9-2; (8) Otsego 9-3, Eastwood 7-3, Fremont St. Joe 7-6, Genoa 10-3
Otsego 9-3; (7) Eastwood 7-3, Woodmore 9-2, Genoa 10-3
Eastwood 7-3; (8) Otsego 9-3, Oak Harbor 11-2, Woodmore 9-2, Genoa 10-3, Ottawa Glandorf 14-0
Evergreen 6-7; (6) Northview 11-1, Ottawa Hills 7-5, Fayette 8-6

Swanton 5-8
Lake 5-10
Rossford 4-9
Delta 4-9
Liberty Center 3-10
Gibsonburg 2-9
Northwood 1-13

NBC teams have a lot to shake out. Eastwood has a brutal stretch run.
Old 01-22-18, 12:27 PM
Varsity

Bdill- I’m with you that Archbold is the more deserving squad for the bye. Was saying In not so many words “don’t be surprised” if Genoa sneaks into the 2 seed. NBC coaches have voted “awkwardly” before. If I was coaching in this district I would avoid the Streaks at all costs. Defensively and physically the NWOAL is a different brand than NBC/TAAC. And by looking at the box scores Ramos seems to have found his 3 ball. Kids going to be a nightmare
Old 01-22-18, 03:14 PM
All District

Trailsendcustom is on a distinguished road
I'd think Archbold has more of an argument for a #1 seed than Genoa has for a #2.
Old 01-22-18, 07:14 PM
Junior Varsity

Fayette 79 is on a distinguished road
Tough Call for this District. SOS would go to Archbold but yet they don't have any quality wins. Stritch has a quality win over Cornerstone but their schedule is not strong at all. Genoa in same boat as Archbold...good schedule but no quality wins.

Archbold doesn't have any difficult games the rest of the way. Genoa will get tested a couple more times. Stritch shouldn't lose any more regular season games.

This is going to be a great District to watch. Eastwood, Otsego, Evergreen, and Woodmore could make some noise.
Old 01-22-18, 08:13 PM
Varsity

Fayette-Wins over Pettisville and Kalida I’d say are quality wins. Comparable to MVCD and Toledo Christian for Stritch. Archbold also beat Napoleon who is DII but struggling, Stritch beat Cathedral Latin who is bigger but struggling. Archbold lost its chance to have the ace in the hole win dropping two against Wauseon and a game to OG. I see the schedules as fairly comparable definitely not enough in favor of a 1 loss team being lower than a 3 loss team

1 or 2 seed aside, I’m very interested in who can catch fire and how 4-8 shakes out.
Old 01-22-18, 08:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Ohio,

Guess I worded that wrong...yes those are good wins for Archbold and Stritch. Quality wins are those against big time teams and Cornerstone is the only quality win from the top 3 in this District.

I am not stating that Archbold deserves the 1 seed over Stritch, CS has earned that. Archbold's win over Napoleon is not a plus, Napoleon couldn't compete against most schools JV teams. Archbold and Genoa are battling for #2 but I don't think Archbold is concerned with the bye or not.

Eastwood could finally have their basketball legs and make some noise. If Evergreen ever plays to their potential they could win the District but right now sharing the basketball looks to be a problem in Viking Country. Not sure about Otsego or Woodmore.
Old 01-23-18, 11:14 AM
All District

single wing is an unknown quantity at this point
Boos is back now for Eastwood. That will help them A LOT.
Old 02-09-18, 03:38 PM
All District

Any games being played tonight that could impact the voting or is everything cancelled?

Listed by record;

Stritch 17-1
Genoa 15-3
Archbold 14-3
Woodmore 14-3
Otsego 12-6
Eastwood 11-6
Evergreen 9-8
Rossford 6-11
Delta 6-11
Lake 6-12
Swanton 5-12
Liberty Center 3-14
Gibsonburg 4-11
Liberty Center 3-14
Northwood 1-18
Old 02-09-18, 04:20 PM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Everything except Genoa at Woodmore postponed for tonight. Genoa will end up the 3 with Woodmore the 4.
Old 02-10-18, 09:22 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I really think Archbold deserves the 1 seed.....it will be interesting to see how the coaches vote. Archbold has 3 losses to teams that are #1 in D2 and #2 in D3 in the AP poll. OG has been destroying people at home and the Streaks lost that one 70-65. I really think that the NWOAL and NBC coaches vote Archbold ahead of Stritch...but I guess we'll wait and see. I think the 1 seed has a walk to the district final....the 2-3 game in the district semi's is gonna be a good one whoever ends up there
Old 02-10-18, 12:16 PM
All Yappi

As far as #1 and 2, it's semantics if I understand correctly what had been said about the method of filling the brackets, teams choose, if #2 is stronger, #3 on down will avoid that bracket until forced into the other. Regardless the ranking vote, the team judged stronger is going to have the easier bracket.

Do I have that wrong?
Old 02-11-18, 09:44 AM
Junior Varsity

Gut feeling...because of Strength of Schedule...

1. Archbold...only losses to D2 #1 Wauseon and D3 #2 OG in close games.

2. Stritch...big win over CornerStone but playing in the TAAC hurt them overall

3. Genoa...probably the hottest team in all of NW Ohio right now...they will be tough to beat

4. Otsego...solid team but not on the same level as top 3

My guess is Archbold goes to the Anthony Wayne Sectional and Stritch and Genoa head to Bowsher. Otsego might head there as well. Evergreen could be a dark horse that could knock off a higher seed.
Old 02-11-18, 03:36 PM
All Ohio

bdill100 is on a distinguished road
Archbold gets the 1 seed and Genoa goes after Stritch
Old 02-11-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOVSTW419 View Post
Very interesting district shaping up as expected with the addition of Archbold, especially. District looks to be a little more top heavy than I thought it would, but I expect a couple teams such as Evergreen, Rossford and Gibsonburg will be tougher outs than their records indicate.

Could you please edit your opening post with link to the brackets? They're easier to find that way as the tournament progresses Unless someone plans to start a new thread?
Old 02-12-18, 09:33 AM
Junior Varsity

D1nwobb is on a distinguished road
Brackets for all teams in the Northwest District in all four divisions can be found on Davey1.com. PDF files are also available for download. Davey will update team records prior to the start of the tournament and will keep the brackets updated once the tournament starts.
Old 02-12-18, 08:38 PM
All Region

I know polls are only good for people to argue about and don't prove anything, but top 3 seeds are all ranked in the top 11 of the AP poll.