Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-03-18, 12:20 AM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,085
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Oregonians lose it when they realize they might have to start pumping their own gas

Quote:
Of all the new laws going into effect Monday, you may be surprised about which one drew the most backlash online. It appears to be Oregon House Bill 2482, which allows people who live in counties with 40,000 residents or less to pump their own gas.

Oregonians aired their frustrations on Facebook over the new law. And just about everyone else in the country made fun of them.
Related Stories

"I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS!" said Sandy Franklin on Facebook, in response to a post by local news station KTVL that asked for viewers' opinions on the new law.
Read more:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-12469097.php
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-03-18, 03:04 AM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,042
eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I think pump your own is illegal in some N Eastern communities? Not sure. But it is one of those "old days" things I miss.

Like many things lost to "social media," that was how news got spread. It was a common meeting place, those brief conversations at the local gas station. It kept people up on what was what in the neighborhood, events, crimes, good things and bad.

While much quicker, I don't think it's an overstate that self-serve was one of the first losses of connectedness.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-18, 05:48 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,721
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I think pump your own is illegal in some N Eastern communities? Not sure. But it is one of those "old days" things I miss.

Like many things lost to "social media," that was how news got spread. It was a common meeting place, those brief conversations at the local gas station. It kept people up on what was what in the neighborhood, events, crimes, good things and bad.

While much quicker, I don't think it's an overstate that self-serve was one of the first losses of connectedness.
It's make-work. Employment safety net for flunkies. Nothing more. The safety "concerns" are preposterous.

Conversations among patrons were less likely to happen sitting in your own car while someone pumped gas for you, and those days stations seldom had mini-groceries inside.

WTH are you even talking about ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-18, 06:28 AM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,279
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Poor Sandy Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-18, 08:13 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I think pump your own is illegal in some N Eastern communities? Not sure. But it is one of those "old days" things I miss.
It's still illegal in New Jersey, I believe. I found that out the hard way a few years ago when we visited Atlantic City.

I agree, full-service gas stations are something from the good old days. I'm not sure it was the "community hub", at least in larger cities. Probably more so in smaller towns. But as a grade-schooler, I do remember knowing the first names of the guys that pumped gas at the station my father always went to. And they always had a wink and a smile for you when you said hi.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-18, 08:22 AM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,382
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
It's still illegal in New Jersey, I believe. I found that out the hard way a few years ago when we visited Atlantic City.

I agree, full-service gas stations are something from the good old days. I'm not sure it was the "community hub", at least in larger cities. Probably more so in smaller towns. But as a grade-schooler, I do remember knowing the first names of the guys that pumped gas at the station my father always went to. And they always had a wink and a smile for you when you said hi.
The gas attendants winked at you? Aren't you a guy?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
The gas attendants winked at you? Aren't you a guy?
So far as you know, LOL. I'm guessing you're younger than me, that was acceptable back then, the context was definitely more innocent. And like I said, you knew them by name, and they usually knew you by name also.

I'd probably be a little nervous if one did it to me nowadays, though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-03-18, 08:33 AM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,382
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
So far as you know, LOL. I'm guessing you're younger than me, that was acceptable back then, the context was definitely more innocent. And like I said, you knew them by name, and they usually knew you by name also.

I'd probably be a little nervous if one did it to me nowadays, though.
Would be considered sexual harassment now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-18, 08:46 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Would be considered sexual harassment now.
Yeah, you gotta be careful about it nowadays. And every time a young lady at the Wendy's drive-thru calls me "Sweetie" or "Honey", I have to restrain Mrs. Zunardo from going over there to kick their tail.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-03-18, 08:51 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Now that I have read more, it appears the sfgate story is wrong, or at least very, very misleading - the Oregon bill only means that you have to pump your own gas at night, when there are no station attendants available. According to the link below, the problem was that many stations in the rural areas were only open 6 AM to 6 PM.

http://www.bakercityherald.com/newsr...hours-in-rural
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-03-18, 09:07 AM
19AL63 19AL63 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-21-11
Posts: 2,021
19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-03-18, 09:52 AM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
Same here, if "recent" means in the last 20 years or so. But they are the last local station I can remember that did this - an anachronism in the 1990's. Not sure when they stopped.

Most recent for me was three years ago in Atlantic City. I didn't know about their law, pulled into a station, opened my tank, pulled the pump out, and was trying to read the directions on where to put my credit card. Saw a guy come running at me, and thought I was going to be mugged. Turned out to be the attendant to warn me I couldn't do that.

The last time on a regular basis? Probably early 1978, I was still gassing up my '72 Pinto (yikes!) at our neighborhood station. The teenager who worked there always had a disgusted look on his face whenever he had to come out to your car. They removed the gas pumps not long after.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-03-18, 10:57 AM
TriangleMan TriangleMan is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-23-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 424
TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
In North Canton we recently had a full-service station sold. Built in the late 30's, one family had owned and operated it since 1952.

"More than a gas station, Greenho’s was a gathering place. Friends would come by each morning to talk and hang out. Kristine Greenho affectionately called it the beauty parlor. “You can find out everything that’s going on in town here,” she laughed."

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201711...on-in-n-canton
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-18, 02:05 PM
Sig Hansen Sig Hansen is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: the Reds will be fine.
Posts: 17,458
Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
  #15  
Old 01-03-18, 02:13 PM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,382
Username1 is on a distinguished road
lol awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-03-18, 10:01 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,721
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
There was a "full serve" Sunoco in North Royalton at State and Wallings, but it was marked up a good 30 cents/gal. Might not be operating the same now.

I had great fun pumping gas as a HS kid. Both did and saw many stupid things there 1979, '80 and '81. We always did the windows on a fill-up, asked to check the oil.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-18, 09:51 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't even realize full service gas stations still existed in the United States. I bet it's been 15-20 years since I've seen a full service station.
BTW, the posts about the "wink" are hilarious. With all the crazy sexual harassment stories coming out nowadays, you just wonder how many of these stories went unreported back in the 60's 70's. I guess guys turn into perverts when we hit 50.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-18, 10:18 AM
chs1971 chs1971 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 3,217
chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I had great fun pumping gas as a HS kid. Both did and saw many stupid things there.
I "pumped gas" my last two years of high school and first two years of college. I learned a few things about working on cars that still come in handy.

And yeah, there are some interesting, and some stupid, stories.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-18, 11:24 AM
queencitybuckeye queencitybuckeye is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-12-09
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,390
queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Millions will die!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-04-18, 01:39 PM
sapientia et veritas sapientia et veritas is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-07-13
Posts: 2,050
sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Same here, if "recent" means in the last 20 years or so. But they are the last local station I can remember that did this - an anachronism in the 1990's. Not sure when they stopped.
Frank's Marathon, 3116 Riverside Dr in Upper Arlington and Reynoldsburg Sunoco, 7008 E. Main St will both pump gas for you. And both have a working garage.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-18, 03:26 PM
EastYoungstown EastYoungstown is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-04-12
Location: North Side
Posts: 9,784
EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
I'm north of 40 and i don't ever remember pulling into a full service station
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-18, 03:55 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,800
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe this could be an idea for more jobs? Of course, back when you had full service gas attendants, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course most gas stations were just gas stations, not grocery stores and lottery/ cigarette outlets for people. I saw a guy buy two gatorades and a bag of chips for $6 at a convenience/ gas store today. Which is a whole other discussion for another day. They don't make money on the gas folks.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-04-18, 03:57 PM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,382
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Maybe this could be an idea for more jobs? Of course, back when you had full service gas attendants, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course most gas stations were just gas stations, not grocery stores and lottery/ cigarette outlets for people. I saw a guy buy two gatorades and a bag of chips for $6 at a convenience/ gas store today. Which is a whole other discussion for another day. They don't make money on the gas folks.
They do make money but it isn't a lot. I thought it was around a penny a gallon.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-04-18, 04:01 PM
TylerDurden TylerDurden is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-12-01
Posts: 15,252
TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Maybe this could be an idea for more jobs? Of course, back when you had full service gas attendants, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course most gas stations were just gas stations, not grocery stores and lottery/ cigarette outlets for people. I saw a guy buy two gatorades and a bag of chips for $6 at a convenience/ gas store today. Which is a whole other discussion for another day. They don't make money on the gas folks.
He'll no doubt end up homeless mooching off some charity that's hounding you for money.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-04-18, 04:09 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,295
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
On average, gas stations make about 2% net margin on gasoline sales. I wonder if the store foot traffic at full service stations is more than self service. Probably not, or you’d see a lot more of them.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-04-18, 04:09 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,295
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
He'll no doubt end up homeless mooching off some charity that's hounding you for money.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-18, 09:16 PM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,039
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
My late grandfather worked at a gas station in a poor mining town in West Virginia his whole life. He pumped gas and also served as the mechanic. Wages had to be pretty low. He was a pretty simple guy. Always had grease all over him and Marlboro reds sticking out of his shirt pocket.

Anyways not really relevant. Just felt like sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-18, 11:19 PM
Zunardo Zunardo is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-03-10
Posts: 1,818
Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
My late grandfather worked at a gas station in a poor mining town in West Virginia his whole life. He pumped gas and also served as the mechanic. Wages had to be pretty low. He was a pretty simple guy. Always had grease all over him and Marlboro reds sticking out of his shirt pocket.

Anyways not really relevant. Just felt like sharing.
Very relevant, for me at least. My WV grandfather ran a Texaco gas station in Webster Springs. He worked six days a week, 7 AM to 8 PM. He had a heart attack in 1969 and was laid up for a while. When he went back to work, the owner told him he wanted him to work every other Sunday as well, so he retired. He died of a second heart attack before that first SS check arrived ......
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-06-18, 09:36 AM
TroyTrojan05 TroyTrojan05 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-19-11
Posts: 5,039
TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
Very relevant, for me at least. My WV grandfather ran a Texaco gas station in Webster Springs. He worked six days a week, 7 AM to 8 PM. He had a heart attack in 1969 and was laid up for a while. When he went back to work, the owner told him he wanted him to work every other Sunday as well, so he retired. He died of a second heart attack before that first SS check arrived ......
Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like they had similar lives. My grandfather died from smoking a pack a day for 50 years. Emphysema is what ended up getting him.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-08-18, 09:23 PM
buckeye53 buckeye53 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-30-14
Location: The Sierra Nevada, NorCal
Posts: 588
buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
I used to live in NW Oregon and there were good and bad things that came with forced full serve. Good: It was always windy and raining for a major part of the year, so you didn’t have to grab a coat and get out in the foul weather. It gave someone a job. Bad: They’d always top off the tank automatically, even when you told them not to. This used to make my “Check Engine” light go on, so when you got home you had to unhook a battery cable to make it shut off. Sloppy attendants would spill gas on your paint job, and you’d also would end up with paint scratches in the filler area. Personally, I like filling it up myself.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz