Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-03-18, 12:20 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Oregonians lose it when they realize they might have to start pumping their own gas

Quote:
Of all the new laws going into effect Monday, you may be surprised about which one drew the most backlash online. It appears to be Oregon House Bill 2482, which allows people who live in counties with 40,000 residents or less to pump their own gas.

Oregonians aired their frustrations on Facebook over the new law. And just about everyone else in the country made fun of them.
Related Stories

"I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS!" said Sandy Franklin on Facebook, in response to a post by local news station KTVL that asked for viewers' opinions on the new law.
Read more:
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-12469097.php
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-18, 03:04 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
I think pump your own is illegal in some N Eastern communities? Not sure. But it is one of those "old days" things I miss.

Like many things lost to "social media," that was how news got spread. It was a common meeting place, those brief conversations at the local gas station. It kept people up on what was what in the neighborhood, events, crimes, good things and bad.

While much quicker, I don't think it's an overstate that self-serve was one of the first losses of connectedness.
Old 01-03-18, 05:48 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I think pump your own is illegal in some N Eastern communities? Not sure. But it is one of those "old days" things I miss.

Like many things lost to "social media," that was how news got spread. It was a common meeting place, those brief conversations at the local gas station. It kept people up on what was what in the neighborhood, events, crimes, good things and bad.

While much quicker, I don't think it's an overstate that self-serve was one of the first losses of connectedness.
It's make-work. Employment safety net for flunkies. Nothing more. The safety "concerns" are preposterous.

Conversations among patrons were less likely to happen sitting in your own car while someone pumped gas for you, and those days stations seldom had mini-groceries inside.

WTH are you even talking about ?
Old 01-03-18, 06:28 AM
All Yappi

OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
Poor Sandy Franklin
Old 01-03-18, 08:13 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
It's still illegal in New Jersey, I believe. I found that out the hard way a few years ago when we visited Atlantic City.

I agree, full-service gas stations are something from the good old days. I'm not sure it was the "community hub", at least in larger cities. Probably more so in smaller towns. But as a grade-schooler, I do remember knowing the first names of the guys that pumped gas at the station my father always went to. And they always had a wink and a smile for you when you said hi.
Old 01-03-18, 08:22 AM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunardo View Post
It's still illegal in New Jersey, I believe. I found that out the hard way a few years ago when we visited Atlantic City.

I agree, full-service gas stations are something from the good old days. I'm not sure it was the "community hub", at least in larger cities. Probably more so in smaller towns. But as a grade-schooler, I do remember knowing the first names of the guys that pumped gas at the station my father always went to. And they always had a wink and a smile for you when you said hi.
The gas attendants winked at you? Aren't you a guy?
Old 01-03-18, 08:30 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
The gas attendants winked at you? Aren't you a guy?
So far as you know, LOL. I'm guessing you're younger than me, that was acceptable back then, the context was definitely more innocent. And like I said, you knew them by name, and they usually knew you by name also.

I'd probably be a little nervous if one did it to me nowadays, though.
Old 01-03-18, 08:33 AM
All American

Quote:
So far as you know, LOL. I'm guessing you're younger than me, that was acceptable back then, the context was definitely more innocent. And like I said, you knew them by name, and they usually knew you by name also.

I'd probably be a little nervous if one did it to me nowadays, though.
Would be considered sexual harassment now.
Old 01-03-18, 08:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Would be considered sexual harassment now.
Yeah, you gotta be careful about it nowadays. And every time a young lady at the Wendy's drive-thru calls me "Sweetie" or "Honey", I have to restrain Mrs. Zunardo from going over there to kick their tail.
Old 01-03-18, 08:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Now that I have read more, it appears the sfgate story is wrong, or at least very, very misleading - the Oregon bill only means that you have to pump your own gas at night, when there are no station attendants available. According to the link below, the problem was that many stations in the rural areas were only open 6 AM to 6 PM.

http://www.bakercityherald.com/newsr...hours-in-rural
Old 01-03-18, 09:07 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
Old 01-03-18, 09:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
Living here in Ohio You would think you might have a hard time remember the last time a attendant pump your gas. In Ohio the only station I can remember doing it was a Swifty Station in resent years. I did get off the intrastate in Maine last summer and drove to the edge of a small town and a attendant came out and pumped my gas. The strange thing the cost seemed to be the same as all the other stations in the area.
Same here, if "recent" means in the last 20 years or so. But they are the last local station I can remember that did this - an anachronism in the 1990's. Not sure when they stopped.

Most recent for me was three years ago in Atlantic City. I didn't know about their law, pulled into a station, opened my tank, pulled the pump out, and was trying to read the directions on where to put my credit card. Saw a guy come running at me, and thought I was going to be mugged. Turned out to be the attendant to warn me I couldn't do that.

The last time on a regular basis? Probably early 1978, I was still gassing up my '72 Pinto (yikes!) at our neighborhood station. The teenager who worked there always had a disgusted look on his face whenever he had to come out to your car. They removed the gas pumps not long after.
Old 01-03-18, 10:57 AM
All Region

TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In North Canton we recently had a full-service station sold. Built in the late 30's, one family had owned and operated it since 1952.

"More than a gas station, Greenho’s was a gathering place. Friends would come by each morning to talk and hang out. Kristine Greenho affectionately called it the beauty parlor. “You can find out everything that’s going on in town here,” she laughed."

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/201711...on-in-n-canton
Old 01-03-18, 02:05 PM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Old 01-03-18, 02:13 PM
All American

lol awesome.
Old 01-03-18, 10:01 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There was a "full serve" Sunoco in North Royalton at State and Wallings, but it was marked up a good 30 cents/gal. Might not be operating the same now.

I had great fun pumping gas as a HS kid. Both did and saw many stupid things there 1979, '80 and '81. We always did the windows on a fill-up, asked to check the oil.
Old 01-04-18, 09:51 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't even realize full service gas stations still existed in the United States. I bet it's been 15-20 years since I've seen a full service station.
BTW, the posts about the "wink" are hilarious. With all the crazy sexual harassment stories coming out nowadays, you just wonder how many of these stories went unreported back in the 60's 70's. I guess guys turn into perverts when we hit 50.
Old 01-04-18, 10:18 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I had great fun pumping gas as a HS kid. Both did and saw many stupid things there.
I "pumped gas" my last two years of high school and first two years of college. I learned a few things about working on cars that still come in handy.

And yeah, there are some interesting, and some stupid, stories.
Old 01-04-18, 11:24 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Millions will die!
Old 01-04-18, 01:39 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Same here, if "recent" means in the last 20 years or so. But they are the last local station I can remember that did this - an anachronism in the 1990's. Not sure when they stopped.
Frank's Marathon, 3116 Riverside Dr in Upper Arlington and Reynoldsburg Sunoco, 7008 E. Main St will both pump gas for you. And both have a working garage.
Old 01-04-18, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
I'm north of 40 and i don't ever remember pulling into a full service station
Old 01-04-18, 03:55 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe this could be an idea for more jobs? Of course, back when you had full service gas attendants, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course most gas stations were just gas stations, not grocery stores and lottery/ cigarette outlets for people. I saw a guy buy two gatorades and a bag of chips for $6 at a convenience/ gas store today. Which is a whole other discussion for another day. They don't make money on the gas folks.
Old 01-04-18, 03:57 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Maybe this could be an idea for more jobs? Of course, back when you had full service gas attendants, minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. Of course most gas stations were just gas stations, not grocery stores and lottery/ cigarette outlets for people. I saw a guy buy two gatorades and a bag of chips for $6 at a convenience/ gas store today. Which is a whole other discussion for another day. They don't make money on the gas folks.
They do make money but it isn't a lot. I thought it was around a penny a gallon.
Old 01-04-18, 04:01 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
He'll no doubt end up homeless mooching off some charity that's hounding you for money.
Old 01-04-18, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
On average, gas stations make about 2% net margin on gasoline sales. I wonder if the store foot traffic at full service stations is more than self service. Probably not, or you’d see a lot more of them.
Old 01-04-18, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
He'll no doubt end up homeless mooching off some charity that's hounding you for money.
Old 01-05-18, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
My late grandfather worked at a gas station in a poor mining town in West Virginia his whole life. He pumped gas and also served as the mechanic. Wages had to be pretty low. He was a pretty simple guy. Always had grease all over him and Marlboro reds sticking out of his shirt pocket.

Anyways not really relevant. Just felt like sharing.
Old 01-05-18, 11:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
My late grandfather worked at a gas station in a poor mining town in West Virginia his whole life. He pumped gas and also served as the mechanic. Wages had to be pretty low. He was a pretty simple guy. Always had grease all over him and Marlboro reds sticking out of his shirt pocket.

Anyways not really relevant. Just felt like sharing.
Very relevant, for me at least. My WV grandfather ran a Texaco gas station in Webster Springs. He worked six days a week, 7 AM to 8 PM. He had a heart attack in 1969 and was laid up for a while. When he went back to work, the owner told him he wanted him to work every other Sunday as well, so he retired. He died of a second heart attack before that first SS check arrived ......
Old 01-06-18, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very relevant, for me at least. My WV grandfather ran a Texaco gas station in Webster Springs. He worked six days a week, 7 AM to 8 PM. He had a heart attack in 1969 and was laid up for a while. When he went back to work, the owner told him he wanted him to work every other Sunday as well, so he retired. He died of a second heart attack before that first SS check arrived ......
Wow, sorry to hear that. Sounds like they had similar lives. My grandfather died from smoking a pack a day for 50 years. Emphysema is what ended up getting him.
Old 01-08-18, 09:23 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
I used to live in NW Oregon and there were good and bad things that came with forced full serve. Good: It was always windy and raining for a major part of the year, so you didn’t have to grab a coat and get out in the foul weather. It gave someone a job. Bad: They’d always top off the tank automatically, even when you told them not to. This used to make my “Check Engine” light go on, so when you got home you had to unhook a battery cable to make it shut off. Sloppy attendants would spill gas on your paint job, and you’d also would end up with paint scratches in the filler area. Personally, I like filling it up myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: