Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-22-17, 11:24 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
I don't think that is how DUI checkpoints work. I don't think they ask every driver that goes through the checkpoint to take a breathalyzer. I think they ask to see license, registration, and proof of insurance. While they check those, they are looking for tell-tale signs that would establish probable cause for them to ask for a breathalyzer (e.g. is your speech slurred, when you talk to them can they smell it on your breath, are you attentive and responsive to their requests, etc).

Someone who has been through one can correct me if I am wrong.

Interestingly, I was coming home from work late one evening, and I almost wound up going through one, but my route home had me take the last left turn possible before going through the checkpoint. As I made that turn, I wondered if they thought I was purposely avoiding the checkpoint (I wasn't, as I had given up drinking several years before).
Any time there is a DUI checkpoint near me they announce it in advance and might catch one or two drivers impaired. Most of the time they catch people with warrants and licence expired and driving without insurance. Regardless, there is zero cause?
Old 12-22-17, 11:25 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
They don't need probable cause. The Supreme Court ruled that the "intrusion on individual liberties does not violate a person's fourth amendment protection." Ultimately it now falls on each state to determine the constitutionality of DUI checkpoints.
at just DUI checkpoints or all together? I know the police cannot simply knock on my door and enter my house without cause but we all know if they want to find cause, they will.
Old 12-22-17, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
at just DUI checkpoints or all together? I know the police cannot simply knock on my door and enter my house without cause but we all know if they want to find cause, they will.
Just at DUI checkpoints.
Old 01-02-18, 01:41 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
I'd ask why he felt the need to search, but I would likely comply as long as the cop was being reasonable and polite.
This is close to where I am... I wouldn't want to comply, but try to understand the cop's reasoning. For me, it comes down to how politely the police officer asked. If done very nicely, then maybe I let him. But if the officer is being a [insert adjective here], then probably not.
Old 01-02-18, 03:08 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
It's not a DUI checkpoint situation, but a few friends forwarded this video of a woman who doesn't appear to be an attorney, although she certainly plays one on the Internet

She's stopped by the police in Georgia for non-working brake lights, and she refuses to give them her driver license. Meanwhile she cites the same legal phrases over and over, although I didn't hear her say "sovereign citizen".

When it was over, the cops had busted her windows (first she said the car was hers, then somebody else's), she got hauled downtown, and pleaded guilty plea to obstruction of officers. According to a commenter, she got 10 days in jail, 12 months probation, 80 hours of community service and anger management counseling, and paid $350 in fines and court costs. I'm not the best at math, but I get the feeling she'd have come out much farther ahead in expenses and time if she'd just given him the license and paid the original fine.

https://www.facebook.com/mikevscorne...a6mq0J1-efwzyc
Old 01-02-18, 03:16 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
I guessed a bootlicker would show up no later than 8-10 posts, it took 27.
Old 01-02-18, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
No surprise 14red would make the worst possible decision for himself
Old 01-02-18, 10:11 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Never, and like 4 Card I’ve had terrible times with the Canadians. It’s been so bad I absolutely will never ever spend another funny looking dollar up there.
Old 01-02-18, 10:27 PM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...years ago my gf and I went up to see Niagara Falls & coming back from the Canadian side, we went through customs where they ask the normal questions are you an American citizen? (yes), what were you doing in Canada? (see the Falls and have dinner)...etc.) and after answering all their questions they told me to pull over and get out of the car. My first question to them was why and they then surrounded my car with like 6 agents who were hell bent on tearing my car apart and told me if I didn't comply I would be arrested.
Well, they searched it and things were going pretty good until this one POS pulled my golf clubs out of the trunk and dumped them on the pavement. I got pissed as hell because they were brand new and hit them only once I told him they were new and asked what his F'ng problem was. Things escalated then and they pulled me over to an area and frisked me all the while I kept saying I didn't do anything and that they had no reason to destroy my stuff. They then made my gf, dump here purse and were going to pat her down until I said they couldn't if there wasn't a female custom agent to do it, so they backed off from that. To bring the story to a conclusion, they found nothing and told me I could leave. When I looked back at my car...the back seats were out of the car, my clubs were sprawled out in the parking lot and I said I'm not going anywhere until you azzzholes put everything back just the way it was. They said no that it was my responsibility and I said I wanted to speak with the supervisor and that I was going to call my lawyer in Ohio. About an hour later, some fatass supervisor came over and said he would get things taken care of..which they did.

I will never consent to a voluntary search.

Old 01-03-18, 10:48 AM
All American

19AL63 is on a distinguished road
I have never had any problems with foreign govt customs. Have been to Canada twice and on a holiday to Europe visited 5 countries and all foreign counties got us though customs quickly and were greeted with have a nice visit or holiday. Now getting threw US customs coming back into the country is another story. Trip from Europe took over and hour and half. to clear US customs and I had all the paper work filled out a head of time. What a joke!!!
Old 01-03-18, 10:59 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I have never had any problems with foreign govt customs. Have been to Canada twice and on a holiday to Europe visited 5 countries and all foreign counties got us though customs quickly and were greeted with have a nice visit or holiday. Now getting threw US customs coming back into the country is another story. Trip from Europe took over and hour and half. to clear US customs and I had all the paper work filled out a head of time. What a joke!!!
A DINK couple I know in their late 20's just took their second vacation to Europe in three years. I asked about clearing customs when returning to the U.S., and the wife said her boss had recommended they get a "Global Entry" card from TSA.

It was $100 per card, and required an in-person interview at the nearest issuing office - Cleveland, in this case. The lady said her boss even paid the fee for both her and her husband for the card. They said it is basically an upgrade from a TSA pre-check card - it does that, plus expedites the return thru U.S. customs, supposedly expedites passage though sister countries that participate in the program also.

She said the airline lost their luggage in the UK, so they had to buy some outfits plus a new suitcase overseas, and the GE card allowed them to declare with no hold-up.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...s/global-entry
Old 01-07-18, 04:14 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cards View Post
...years ago my gf and I went up to see Niagara Falls & coming back from the Canadian side, we went through customs where they ask the normal questions are you an American citizen? (yes), what were you doing in Canada? (see the Falls and have dinner)...etc.) and after answering all their questions they told me to pull over and get out of the car. My first question to them was why and they then surrounded my car with like 6 agents who were hell bent on tearing my car apart and told me if I didn't comply I would be arrested.
Well, they searched it and things were going pretty good until this one POS pulled my golf clubs out of the trunk and dumped them on the pavement. I got pissed as hell because they were brand new and hit them only once I told him they were new and asked what his F'ng problem was. Things escalated then and they pulled me over to an area and frisked me all the while I kept saying I didn't do anything and that they had no reason to destroy my stuff. They then made my gf, dump here purse and were going to pat her down until I said they couldn't if there wasn't a female custom agent to do it, so they backed off from that. To bring the story to a conclusion, they found nothing and told me I could leave. When I looked back at my car...the back seats were out of the car, my clubs were sprawled out in the parking lot and I said I'm not going anywhere until you azzzholes put everything back just the way it was. They said no that it was my responsibility and I said I wanted to speak with the supervisor and that I was going to call my lawyer in Ohio. About an hour later, some fatass supervisor came over and said he would get things taken care of..which they did.

I will never consent to a voluntary search.
I had a similar situation ... I was coming back from Canada (Winsor) ... they asked me several question including "did you gamble" ... I said "yea" ... she asked it again and I said "yea" ... I was then instructed to pull into the side area and to get out of the car ... they searched me and my car (only looking in it with a flashlight) ... found nothing and told me I could go ... I asked the second officer why I was ask to pull off ... he said because I answered her question with "yea" instead of "yes" ... I said really ... and he rolled his eyes and nodded.
Old 01-07-18, 04:32 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Just goes to show you... give some people a little power and it goes to their head!!!

:>---

SALT
Old 01-07-18, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
"some" people?

As for that situation, I was raised to always be as formal as possible. Yes sir- no sir, eyes up, pleasant demeanor, not casual. But "yea" vs. "yes?" That's a bit much.

Some people are easy to take offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19AL63 View Post
I'd have to give it some thought but for the most part, I've never felt hassled. Got turned around at the Canadian for not having enough cash per day, back when I was young and crossing by bicycle. Crossing some borders, particularly at night might involve the threat of a shake down but usually not the amounts that would attract attention. Between Turkey and Bulgaria, there are gypsies will try to pay westernors to take goods across the bridge (to be picked up on the other side), while already paid off train agents look the other way. I make NO jokes or attempts at jokes crossing borders.

Best "coming home" story I have, is coming back from the Middle East into Detroit. Customs was really shaking down obviously targeted group. Asked a guy who was impatiently waiting, why they were shaking them down. He said their moms try to smuggle in spices because they say they can't get the quality here. It was too funny, young guys arms folded, tapping toes impatient with their moms and the old ladies driving customs agents nuts for taking their spices.

Last edited by eastisbest; 01-07-18 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 12:10 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
I have a close-cropped haircut, a linebacker physique, and a police/military demeanor. The last time I got pulled over, I was going 55 in a 25. The encounter ended with the officer telling me what an awesome driver I am and the wonderful wife shouting her disagreement. However, if pulled over, I would assess the situation. If I detected an absolute tool, I would consent. Though rare, they can murder with impunity. All things being equal, it's not worth the experiment.
Old 01-13-18, 08:41 PM
All World

troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
The police might find some pecker tracks in the back seat.
Old 01-13-18, 08:48 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_toe View Post
I don't think that is how DUI checkpoints work. I don't think they ask every driver that goes through the checkpoint to take a breathalyzer. I think they ask to see license, registration, and proof of insurance. While they check those, they are looking for tell-tale signs that would establish probable cause for them to ask for a breathalyzer (e.g. is your speech slurred, when you talk to them can they smell it on your breath, are you attentive and responsive to their requests, etc).

Someone who has been through one can correct me if I am wrong.

Interestingly, I was coming home from work late one evening, and I almost wound up going through one, but my route home had me take the last left turn possible before going through the checkpoint. As I made that turn, I wondered if they thought I was purposely avoiding the checkpoint (I wasn't, as I had given up drinking several years before).
You are correct in how they do them. They hide behind their right to check and make sure you are legally licensed to operate a motor vehicle, in order to figure out if you are drunk. Which of course is complete crap.
Old 01-15-18, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Never. It's a principle thing. They have no right to an illegal search and seizure so why enable them ? Big supporter of the police but won't let them infringe on my rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-18, 08:03 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
You are correct in how they do them. They hide behind their right to check and make sure you are legally licensed to operate a motor vehicle, in order to figure out if you are drunk. Which of course is complete crap.
Well they aren’t exactly hiding anything, they call it a “DUI checkpoint” and publish its location in advance.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: